What?

Sweet Things Come to Those who Wait

“Hyung,” Minghao called out, “I’m taking my break now.”

“Ok,” Joshua peeked his head out, “Vernon out cleaning tables?”

“Yup,” Minghao chirped.

“All right, I’ll keep an eye out on the front. Go on.” Joshua waved him on and Minghao disappeared into the area that Joshua made for the staff.

Joshua went back to filling cupcake liners. Popping them into the oven he started on the cookie doughs for tomorrow. He was a baker that liked chilling his dough overnight, and so he always made them the day ahead.

He poured the flour in, adding the sugar, then he moved onto his wet ingredients. He cracked the eggs in a separate bowl, adding in the vanilla extract, a squeeze of lemon juice, the milk. Joshua was so used to the process he didn’t even pause. Just when he was about to pour in the wet ingredients he heard the bell from the front counter indicating a customer.

Putting down the bowl he wiped off his hands. “Weird,” he said moving past the doors, “where’s Vernon?” Walking through he said, “I’m sorry for the wait. What can I get for you to…” He stopped mid-sentence.

It was flirty birthday boy. For the past two weeks he had seen neither hide or hair of Mingyu or his hyungs. Something he thanked his lucky stars for. Guess his luck ran out today. Smiling once again Joshua asked, “What can I get for you today?”

“Hyung!” Mingyu shouted, popping into the store as well. “I missed you. And your food.”

“Oh, Mingyu,” Joshua’s smiled became strained. “I haven’t seen you in a while. Nice of you to bring Jeonghan-ssi as well.” Not. It was not nice of Mingyu to bring this guy here. But Joshua couldn’t say much, not when the only fault the guy had was that he was super flirty.

“Mingyu talked about your food so much in the office. And then I had them on my birthday. He wasn’t lying,” Jeonghan smiled at him.

Joshua would admit it was charming. But superficially everything about the man was charming. He was attractive. Which made Joshua kind of angry. Why did the weirdly flirty guy have to be so handsome? Ugh. It didn’t matter. Personality wise he didn’t appeal.

“Thank you,” Joshua said. He could be courteous. Completely polite. He could do it. “So, what can I get for you two today?”

“The regular for me,” Mingyu replied toothily.

Jeonghan gave Joshua a rather gentle smile. One that threw Joshua off. “I’d like you.”

Joshua blinked. What?

To the side Mingyu’s jaw dropped. What was Jeonghan hyung thinking? Was he serious? Did he want to die? Did he want to get his eyes clawed out? Or have Mingyu banned for life since Mingyu brought him here?

Joshua stared at Jeonghan for a good minute before pasting his polite but I don’t like you smile on his face. “I’m sorry but I’m not on the menu. Would you like a cupcake? Or perhaps a muffin? Oh, wait it was mentioned that you didn’t like sweets much. We have a variety of savory things like a bacon, egg, and cheese pastry. Or some fried savory goods. Shall I bag them up for you? To go?”

Shaking his head, Jeonghan replied. “It’s ok. I’ll wait until you’re on the menu. I wouldn’t mind some savory pastries though. For here. Me and Mingyu are here on lunch.” He gave Joshua a smile, that on a normal basis would be lovely, but after that greasy line of him wanting Joshua nothing was lovely.

“Of course. Anything to drink with that?” Joshua wanted to wring his neck and run up towards his living quarters upstairs and wash himself. Good grief was Jeonghan over the top.

“Green tea? And juice for Mingyu.”

“Let me get your pastries.” Joshua grabbed a tray and plates and started to get the order. With the tongs he got Mingyu’s regular of a blueberry Danish and apple crumb muffin. The other plate he got his famous quiche tart and some fried potato balls for Jeonghan. Placing the tray on the counter he grabbed a bottle of green tea and a bottle of juice for Mingyu.

Punching in the numbers, he rung them up. “That’ll be $12.75.”

Jeonghan handed him a twenty. “Keep the change.”

Money wasn’t the way into Joshua’s heart either. “Thank you.” Handing him the tray he said, “Enjoy your meal. Please come again.” Even if he didn’t want Jeonghan to come again at all.

Taking the tray, Jeonghan’s hand gently overlapped with Joshua’s. “I will definitely come again to see your lovely face. And if the pastries are great I’ll be here more often than you think.” He took the tray, sliding his fingers across Joshua’s hand, before turning to find a table.

Mingyu sheepishly waved bye and mouthed, “I’m sorry,” before following Jeonghan.

Vernon came back, wheeling the cleaning bucket and a mop. “Why do you look so dead already Josh? It’s just midday.”

“Did something happen?” Joshua asked, settling his hip on the counter even when he’d rather be back inside the kitchen.

“Yea,” Vernon shrugged, “a kid spilled his drink everywhere so had to do some clean up. Sorry if I wasn’t here to man the counter.”

Joshua waved his hand. “It’s all right. But if one of you makes me take that man’s order again I swear.” Joshua’s brows knitted together, a look of dismay on his face.

“The birthday guy? Or the one who made you mad?” Vernon looked a bit frightened. When Joshua got angry things were known to be kneaded rather loudly.

“The birthday guy came. With Mingyu. I guess they work together.” Joshua sighed. “Maybe we need more workers. I guess I’ll put up an ad for that.” He moved, “I’m going back into the kitchen and Minghao should be back soon. So you should be fine.”

“Got it boss,” Vernon said, saluting him.

Joshua let out another long sigh going back into the kitchen to finish up his cookie dough. He sort of hated Mingyu at this point for introducing him into trouble.


“Hyung,” Mingyu hissed at Jeonghan. “What do you think you’re doing?”

“I’m hitting on a very attractive person. With a lot of bite,” Jeonghan hummed, tapping his chin. “Which is actually super hot.” Giving Mingyu a stare that spoke volumes of pain if he didn’t spill it, he asked, “What’s wrong with that?”

“Joshua hyung hates super flirty people. Well he just doesn’t trust them,” Mingyu said, taking a bite out of his muffin, making a small moan.

Jeonghan looked at him in disgust. “Keep your food s to yourself Mingyu. Tell me why.”

“He’s used to people flirting with him because all they see is a hybrid. They think he’s an easy target until they find out he’s not and then they make nasty remarks about him. He’s tired of that ,” Mingyu explained through his bites of muffin.

“I can tell he’s not an easy target. And I wouldn’t be using him. I think he’s interesting. Not everyone has the mental strength to put up with the crap people say about hybrids and be successful it seems,” Jeonghan said as he looked around at the not so empty bakery.

Mingyu stared at him long and hard, trying to suss out if Jeonghan was lying. He knew Jeonghan was an accomplished liar. But he also knew that Jeonghan didn’t bother with playing people. And that he was actually nicer than he acted, even if he was good at swindling. Nodding slowly, Mingyu said, “Ok. But you’ll have a hard time getting to know him. He’s not big on strangers getting close to him.”

Jeonghan cut into the quiche. “That’s what you’re here for Mingyu. You know him and by association I will get to know him as well. Until I’m not a stranger anymore. And when I show him how nice I am, underneath all the charm, he’ll fall for me.” He paused taking a bite. His eyes widened as he tasted the hints of smoked bacon and chives mixed with the egg and cheese. Wow. Joshua knew how to bake. “Hopefully,” he added after he swallowed.

Mingyu gave him a sad look. “I hate you for using me to get close to Shua hyung. You’re just like Seungcheol hyung. If you two ruin my relationship with him I won’t forgive you two.”

Stopping his fork Jeonghan looked up, narrowing his eyes. “What about Seungcheol and trying to get close to Joshua?”

“He made Joshua angry the time he came in here to order your cake. He told it was an accident and he didn’t know. He said something about being distracted at how cute Joshua was. Now he wants me take him back here to apologize and maybe get into his good graces too.”

“Oh,” Jeonghan said quietly, “I have competition.” He snorted. “Seungcheol has nothing on me. He should back off now before he gets hurt.”

Mingyu waved his hands in placating manner. “I know nothing. I’m just going to help him apologize and what happens is up to you two.”

Jeonghan leaned his elbow on the table. “And who do you think has the better chance with Joshua, Mingyu. Me or Seungcheol?” Jeonghan was truly curious about who had the better chance. Jeonghan came out on top in terms of looks, but Seungcheol was equally as warm and charming in his own way like Jeonghan.

Mingyu sat back into his chair, as if he could distance himself from Jeonghan. “Do I have to?” If he was quaking internally, well no one had to know. Jeonghan hyung was scary when he got angry.

“Yes, Mingyu you have too. Now tell me. Your honest opinion.” Jeonghan ate the remaining pieces of his quiche humming in satisfaction. Maybe it was too early to think about having breakfast with Joshua or having Joshua cook for him, but he didn’t doubt that Joshua could cook rather well if the way the pastries tasted were any indication.

He bit his lip; his eyes took on a sad look. Like a puppy’s really. But too bad. Jeonghan wanted answer. “Mingyu,” he intoned in a semi-threatening manner.

“You,” he said. “You’re probably more of his type. Seungcheol hyung is too,” he paused, “loud for him probably. You and Joshua hyung would be able to get close on a personal level.”

“You’re not saying this to placate me are you?” Jeonghan hated when people pandered to him so he wouldn’t get angry at them. It only made him angrier.

“No,” Mingyu shook his head, denying it. “I think personality wise you and Joshua hyung would match up. He’d probably go for you.”

“Hmmm.” Jeonghan smiled. “That’s good to know. I won’t ask you to sabotage Cheol but you know if things don’t go his way. Or if he wants to come here. Let me know ok?” Jeonghan wasn’t above dirty tactics. Not when someone as cute as Joshua was involved.

Mingyu nodded reluctantly. He valued his skin. And he worked directly under Jeonghan not Seungcheol hyung. Joshua was strong enough to fight the both of them off. He knew that much.


Joshua had in the span of two weeks added a new recipe to the lineup in the bakery and a new worker. Vernon’s friend Seungkwan was looking for a job to supplement his small allowance that he received from his parents back in Jeju Island. He was a good kid, bright, and good with the customers. Not to mention very respectful to everyone including the hybrids who frequented the bakery.

Joshua also had two free weeks of no Jeonghan and not seeing Seungcheol again. Mingyu would drop by but never during his normal lunch hours. He’d come by in the morning for something to go or after work to get whatever was left over from the day’s sales. Joshua made no comment about the new times. He knew that Mingyu changed his daily visits as way to help Joshua. And perhaps as a way to protect him as well.

Whatever it was Joshua would take Mingyu’s help. Life was easier without having an extremely flirtatious guy come into his store. Or a dude who didn’t have any respect for hybrids at all.

Today he let Wonwoo and Jun take care of the kitchen. He trusted them enough to make more batches of things that were his best sellers and to prep the cookie dough and pie crusts for tomorrow. Wonwoo had worked for him for a good number of years already; the wolf had popped in tail drenched asking if the job was still open.

Joshua’s heart had sunk at how wet the other looked and dried him up before asking him if could wake up at the crack of dawn and learn how to bake. Wonwoo nodded and Joshua hired him on the spot. Jun had come as a packaged deal with Wonwoo. He worked shifts at a nearby Chinese restaurant for experience so he could his cooking license and start his own place one day. The bakery was his extra work.

Lovely Minghao, Soonyoung, Dino, and Vernon all came in next. All of them looking for jobs either permanently like Minghao or part time ones like Dino and Vernon. Soonyoung was drifting for a bit until he found himself he said. His true passion was dance and sometimes when they closed the bakery they would dance across the floors while they cleaned. It was fun. His little family.

Joshua hummed along to the song that was playing through the bakery today. He allowed Seungkwan to have free range of the music today, a reward for the quick learning from last week. Joshua looked up from his crouched position as he put in the fresh muffins. Standing up he said, “Welcome in,” before his voice strangled.

Today was a day. In walked in his least favorite customers. The guy who called him a cat and pissed him off and the guy who flirted with Joshua like his life depended on it. And in between with an expression of a kicked puppy was Kim Mingyu. Someone Joshua thought was on his side.

Plastering on his polite, I hate you, smile, Joshua waited for them to come front and center. If one of them did something today, Joshua wasn’t responsible for his actions. Nope.