knight of the shadows - final

knight in the shadows // Project Trainees // Task 5

‘Run, run, run’ was all Eunji could think of as she roughly stomped her feet on the hard gravel, trying to push her body forward as fast as possible.

It was getting too hard though.

She was feeling a bit too breathless and her heart felt like it was about to explode.

 

‘No, no, don’t stop! You can’t stop!’ she reminds herself as she pushes her worn out legs to not stop moving.

 

She makes the dreadful mistake of looking back and her eyes lock with the monster’s bright red ones. Gulping, Eunji only push herself to the edge to pick it up a notch.

 

‘How the hell did I end up in this situation?’ she wonders as the earlier events run through her mind like a rewinded tape.


 

“Eunji-ah! Can you go to a trip to the convenience store down the neighbourhood? We’re running out of snacks and sodas! You know how unpredictable Jongdae gets when there are no snacks around! Last thing we want him to do is to try to cook like last time!” Bomi requests as she wanders around the kitchen, searching for something to prepare for their friend’s visit.

 

“Ugh, come on! It's so late! Can’t we ask him to buy something on his way here?” Eunji’s whines fill their small shared apartment flat.

 

“I don’t trust his choice when it come to food! He will probably get ramen if we ask him! You know how bloated my face gets after eating ramen!”

 

Sighing, Eunji grabs her sweater from her chair and heads towards the door with her wallet and phone in each hand.

 

“Fine.”

 

Closing the the buildings door behind her, Eunji steps outside to the dark streets.

 

Hugging herself as a of wind flies by, she takes deep breaths to calm her nerves.

 

There is no fun in having to walk around the dark neighbourhood at 20:34 pm because your friends decided to crazily have a late night stop at your house.

 

Feeling her muscles relax as the convenience store comes in sight, she quickly makes her way inside the building.

 

Grabbing a few snacks, she heads towards the cashier and pays before taking a deep breath and preparing herself to speed her way back.

 

Before she could get anywhere too far, a weird growling sound is heard from a dark alley and Eunji immediately freezes.

 

Curious about what the sound is and scared at the same time, Eunji stands there for a few moments, too frozen to move.

 

‘Curiosity killed the cat..’ she considers and stares at the way back home in the distance.

 
 
 

‘...but satisfaction brought it back.’


 

“Tsk! Satisfaction? I might as well had danced my way to a lion’s den.”

 

Being drawn too deep in her thoughts, Eunji losses control of her shaky legs, landing on her knees.

Immediate pain runs through her body as she feels her knees and palms being scrapped up on the rough ground, but with the loud growling of the monster approaching her, the pain vanishes as fast as it came.

 

Suddenly, an uncontrollable shiver takes over her body and realization hits her like a brick on the face.

 

She’s gonna die.

This terrifying looking, red eyed monster is going to rip her into pieces and kill her.

 

Worst of all, not even satisfaction will be able to bring her back because this will all be far from satisfying.

 

“Is this how I’m gonna die?!” she asks herself in a sarcastic matter, not being able to believe the situation she got herself into.

Who would have thought that Jung Eunji’s death would come as soon as in her early twenties. Worst of all, even if miracles did happen and she happened to manage to run get out of this alive, no one would believe her if she was to tell them that a red eyed monster was what tried to kill her. Eunji herself had a hard time believing it.

 

Her eyes close tightly when she feels the creature standing right in front of her, towering her small, injured figure.

A heart stopping laugh-like-sound erupts from his throat, resulting to Eunji curling up in a small ball, wrapping her arms around herself for a sense of security in her last moment of life.

 

Taking a deep breath, she prepares herself for what is to come, when suddenly a dead weight falls on top of her and an ear-piercing scream echoes through the whole area.

Too terrified to look and check what has happened, Eunji’s world starts to run around in circles and a throbbing sensation fills her head.

 

Before she could take into account what was happening around her, the suffocating weight is lifted off of her small body and she is pulled into a warm embrace.

 

Slightly opening her eyes with whatever power is left in her, her eyes land on a blurry male figure that even though the uncleanliness, seemed to be dashingly handsome.

 

‘Is this what satisfaction feels like?’ she wonders in aw

e.

“Shadowhunter Zhang Yixing at your service. I’m sorry for not arriving sooner.” Eunji hears him say in a monotone as her eyes start to close shut again.

 

“So this is what humans mean when they use the term angel, isn’t it? And it must be no coincidence that it is also quite the literal statement.” the male mumbles in a soft voice, too quiet for Eunji to hear.

 

Meanwhile Jung Eunji’s world goes black, but in the arms of that stranger, she feels strangely secure.