Swelling Heart

Breathing Fire

The rains of the day before had left puddles in the pits of windowsills.

Baekhyun put his forehead against the cold surface of his room window and hugged his knees tighter as he looked out into the horizon. The sky today was clear after the rain last night, the complete opposite of his cloudy mind.

He can’t sleep at all last night. Outside his bedroom, the situation was a mess. Someone was trying to poison the don’s husband. Everyone was shouting, blaming each other, accusing each other.

Baekhyun closed his eyes as he sneered inwardly. No one was to be blamed but him. He caused all of this. This time, it was only a mere poisoning of his dog. What was next? Who will get hurt because of him? Kyungsoo? Sehun? Chanyeol? The thought alone already made him want to throw up.

A thousand of idea swirled around his head. Should he run away? Should he just put himself onto the boat? Should he... kill himself?

It was obvious that someone from inside the quarter was trying to hurt him. The quarter, even his own bedroom, was not a safe place anymore.

Baekhyun jerked up in surprise as the door to his room was opened softly, noise of everyone yelling and running outside came into the room. Fear was mounted over him before a small figure came into light.

“You wake up early today?” Kyungsoo’s voice traveled across the room. He quickly closed the door, drawing out the noise from outside once again.

Behind him, as per usual, there was a couple of maid, bringing him new red suits and foods. Baekhyun’s eyes narrowed at the food. His paranoia was growing.

Noticing the worry in Baekhyun’s eyes, Kyungsoo gave him a pressed smile. “The foods are fine, Master. I’ve tasted it.”

Hearing that, Baekhyun looked at his servant in horror. “You’ve tasted them? Are you an idiot? What if they were poisoned again?”

“It’s my job to make sure that everything’s in order. Last time, it was totally my fault. I should’ve done this since the first day you stayed. Believe it or not, Baekhyun, you’re the number one person in danger here.”

“Damn right I’m the one in danger, then why are you the one who take responsibilities out of it?” Baekhyun was histerical at this point. He stepped down from the window couch and approached his personal maid with angry steps.

“Boss said that your safety is above all else,” Kyungsoo said as all traced of amusement vanished from his face. “I’m trying to keep you alive when Chanyeol is away, master.”

“God, stop.” Baekhyun grabbed his hair, crouching down as pain sobs escaped from his lips. “Stop, stop, stop. Stop protecting me.”

The two maids were fidgeting in their spot, feeling uncomfortable. Kyungsoo let them put the suits and tray of foods on the table and made them leave. The master was having a meltdown, and he thought they didn’t need audience.

“Baekhyun,” Kyungsoo called him softly, making the said boy looked up. “I know that you’re scared—“

“I’m not scared.” Baekhyun wiped away his tears—dammit why did he cry—and got up. “I’m just...” He exhaled deeply. “This is all my fault, isn’t it?”

“Nope.”

“But Kyungsoo—“

“Don’t be too full of yourself, Master.” Kyungsoo smirked. Baekhyun can see the usual Kyungsoo was starting to comeback. “They—whoever they are—targeted you because of Chanyeol. Because right now you’re his ultimate weakness. It’s only normal they attack you. It has nothing to do with you.”

Kyungsoo’s smug smile somehow might make him slightly at ease. He still thought that this was his fault. If he was a little bit careful, if he was the one eating his breakfast... he would probably get hurt, but at least anyone else wouldn’t. What could he do to make everyone safe?

“Now, now. Don’t be too hard on yourself, okay? Eat, take a bath. You don’t have to wear your suits and just stay inside your room today. Sleep, okay? Jesus, you look terrible.”

Baekhyun glanced at the mirror and looked into his reflection. He indeed looked like a freaking walking dead. Kyungsoo was looking at him with nearly-pleading look. Poor him, Baekhyun was sure his servant had not slept for a blink either.

Baekhyun had to make up his mistake. No matter how it took.

 

 

~

 

 

The leather seats of his black Mercedes felt a lot like cushion made of thorns. Chanyeol tried so much to not clench his jaw too hard, or else it would break. He closed his eyes momentarily, his brain working overtime.

Who should he kill first when he arrived at his quarter? Obviously, he would kill the person who put the poison on his husband’s breakfast. But right now, the urge to kill Jongin was stronger.

“We’re here, Don,” his driver said.

Chanyeol opened the door even before his opened the door. His eyes zeroed in Jongin, who was looking at the ground with a dim expression, standing right before the main door. Gritted his teeth, Chanyeol launched himself at Jongin like a torpedo, so fast that Kris can’t hold him back.

The consigliere instantly found himself beside Chanyeol, grabbing his hand. “Chanyeol,” he warned him.

Ignoring his consigliere and other audience around him, Chanyeol tightened his grip on Jongin’s colar.

“You come home early, hyung,” Jongin greeted him.

“You think I’m able to concentrate on anything while my husband’s life is on the line here? This is the second time he was in danger under your watch, Jongin,” he said, his voice got quiet.

Jongin gave him a smirk. “The first time was inevitable because he forced me to teach him gun shooting.” He stopped for a while. His mischevous smile got swept away and replaced by deep regret. “But this time I admit my defeat. I’m really sorry, hyung.”

Chanyeol bit back a growl. “You think this is funny, huh? You think protecting him is not serious matter.”

Hurt flashed through Jongin’s eyes. “Master’s safety is something I would never take for granted. His life everyday is in danger. As long as he is your husband, his life is at stake every ing minute, and you know it.”

Chanyeol tried to school his expression because, dammit, what Jongin said was true and it made him angry how he cannot retort his cousin’s spill of truth.

Jongin shoved Chanyeol’s hand away from his colar, and took a step back. “The time you decided not to send him off, showing the public that you care for him too much, it’s like you put a bait on him.”

Chanyeol took a deep breath. He gnawed angrily on the inside of his cheek. “You’re right.”

A sick feeling rose in his stomach. It wasn’t like he never thought of this possibility. He was well aware that Baekhyun would be in danger any time. But right now, after it actually happened, his chest felt like sand, his mind went blank.

Jongin heaved a heavy sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Well, you’re ed, hyung, that’s for sure. But it’s not like you’re going to let him go, right?”

The thought of him letting Baekhyun go was enough to give him nightmares on the spot. “Like hell I would.”

A grin made a way back to Jongin’s face. “You’re too whipped for your own good.”

“Shut up.” Chanyeol ran a hand through his hair and decided that it was enough show for all his subordinates. He walked into his quarter, followed by Kris and Jongin right behind him. “How’s Ariel?”

“Critical condition. But I’m sure she could pull through,” Jongin answered.

The don cursed under his breath. He couldn’t imagine if Baekhyun was the one who ate the poison. “Have you found the culprit?” he asked again.

“It’s Jisook.”

Chanyeol stopped on his track, turned aroud and met his head of defence’s eyes. “You kidding me? Baekhyun’s favorite chef?” He had heard that name a number of time from Baekhyun when he told him stories through their phonecall.

Jongin gave him a look, like Chanyeol should had suspected it already.

“.” Chanyeol rubbed his forehead. “Did Baekhyun know?”

Shaking his head, Jongin’s face darkened. “Even without knowing it Baekhyun hyung already beat himself up.”

This was what Chanyeol afraid of. This had nothing to do with Baekhyun, but knowing him, he would definitely blame himself. “Where’s he now?”

“In his room, sleeping. He can’t sleep all night. Kyungsoo gave him sleeping pills this morning.”

Chanyeol didn’t have the will to be away from Baekhyun for anymore longer. He should be with him, which was his reason to comeback early. There was no way for him to be wandering around the world when his entire universe was in danger back at home.

As he walked to Baekhyun’s room, his heart was pounding and his pulse drummed in his head. That was how he functioned for the past 24 hours since he heard the news of the accident. His heart wouldn’t be in peace if he didn’t see for himself that his husband was alright.

The door to Baekhyun’s room came into sight after he rounded the corner. He narrowed his eyes when he saw there were more people guarding his husband’s chamber than the usual. He can’t help to scowl as he realized that those were some of the people who let poisoned food entered Baekhyun’s room. He tried to remind himself that he needed to switch them up.

Spotting Sehun and Kyungsoo, he walked toward them. Both of his subordinates greeted him. Chanyeol only replied them with a nod. “Is he still sleeping?” He threw his question to Kyungsoo.

“The last time I checked, which is five minutes ago, yes. Do you want me to wake him up?”

“It’s okay. Just prepare dinner for him, in case he wakes up later,” Chanyeol put his hand on Kyungsoo’s shoulder. “Thank you, Kyungsoo. You can sleep now.”

Kyungsoo smiled. “After I prepare him dinner.”

“Alright,” Chanyeol shifted to Sehun. “You too, Sehun. Get some rest. I’ll take care of him for tonight.”

Clearly, that Sehun also barely got any energy left to keep him standing straight. He knew his limit, so he nodded when Chanyeol asked him to leave.

Chanyeol eyed Jongin this time, signalling him to take care of the guards. Jongin would understand what should be done with them.

“Okay, good night,” he said as he turned to the door and pushed it open.

Despite knowing that Baekhyun was asleep, entering his husband’s room proved to be kinda hard for him. Rage and longing had been going on within him for the past 24 hours, and he was afraid that he would go out of control when he finally met his husband.

The room was dark, cold, and somehow eerie. Chanyeol needed to adjust his sight to be able to find the bed. There was an apparent lump in the middle of it. Baekhyun was completely covered with thick blanket. From approximately 5 feet, Chanyeol could only see his hair. His back was facing him, so Chanyeol can’t see his face.

His heart swelled. God, he missed him so much. He hated the reason he came home fast. But somehow he was glad he could come back earlier. Although it just meant that he needed to continue his business anytime soon. But for now, he had no business other than taking care of his husband. That was his number one purpose in this world right now.

It took him fifteen long stride to get to the side of Baekhyun’s bed. The room was so quiet. Even he can’t hear Baekhyun’s breath. The only indication that his husband was alive was the slight up and down of his body.

His hand absently reached out to him. He needed to touch him, seeking some kind of reassurance. He only had gone for eight days, and it was enough to torture him.

He laid a finger over Baekhyun’s hair, silently taking a lock of his hair and curling it around his finger.

It was like a switch had been inside of him, Baekhyun opened his eyes almost immediately. He turned around as he yanked the blanket away. His pupils were dilated, his nostril flared, his expression was high alert.

Chanyeol didn’t like that expression on him.

“Shh… Baekhyun, it’s me?”

Baekhyun didn’t even notice that it was him until he heard Chanyeol’s voice, probably because of poor lighting also. “Chanyeol? What... Why are you here?”

“Hey,” Chanyeol leaned down and took Baekhyun’s face in his. “I got back earlier.”

And just like that, a tear slipped down Baekhyun’s face, and Chanyeol immediately wiped it away. “I didn’t know that you were coming back.”

“Of course I’m coming back.” Chanyeol brushed back a stray wisp of hair from his cheek. “Are you okay?”

Baekhyun’s face was contorted, like he was really trying to smile, but instead, he burst into tears.

Chanyeol didn’t say anything and just lifted Baekhyun, set him aside so he could lay beside him too. He brought Baekhyun into his embrace, wrapped him completely with his big body, protecting him from all the danger in the world. And they just stayed like that for a while.

He never knew how to deal with someone crying. But if it was Baekhyun, he wanted to be there for him, whether it was for stupid reasons or complicated problems. Baekhyun was the best thing that ever happened to him, and he promised that this was the last time he would let Baekhyun cry like this.

He tucked Baekhyun’s hair away from his face so it wouldn’t get messy as he cried. He tried to rubbed his back and murmurred comforting hums. He pulled him closer, feeling that Baekhyun’s solid wall was crumbling. But it was okay, because Chanyeol was sure that his husband will rebuild all his wall in no matter of time.

For he was the strongest, smartest and the most confident boy he had ever known.

 

 

~

 

 

“Are you feeling better?”

A spread of a smile spread over Baekhyun’s lips. “Yes.”

Chanyeol looked at him intently, wanting to see if Baekhyun was honest. But Baekhyun was telling the truth. He indeed felt a lot better that now he knew Chanyeol was here with him. His absolute protection was back. It struck him that the place he felt the safest was with his husband.

“I’m sorry it happened,” Chanyeol said as he caressed his hair softly.

Bile rose in Baekhyun’s throat at how gentle Chanyeol was. “It wasn’t your fault.”

“And it wasn’t your fault,” Chanyeol bit back. Clearly, he can see how Baekhyun put the blame of this problem on himself.

Baekhyun pressed his nose to his husband’s neck and breathed in the musty and woody scent that emanated from the man. With the whisper of longing, he nestled down in Chanyeol’s strong hold.

It was starting to rain again outside. Both of them burrowed themselves into each other as the cold weather began to seep into the room.

Baekhyun felt slightly bad that Chanyeol was still in his suit. Why can’t he change first before he came here? “Will you be with me all night?”

“Yes,” Chanyeol nodded, “to pay back all the missing hours while we were apart.”

Their face was so close to each other that Baekhyun was sure that Chanyeol could feel the heat from his cheeks. “You were gone too long.”

“I agree. It was a bad idea to begin with.”

“What were you doing anyway? You said that it was important business.”

Chanyeol looked down at him. “It was.”

“Can’t I know?”

It wasn’t a fair question, Baekhyun knew. Just because Chanyeol was nice—really nice—to him, it didn’t mean that he would answer everything he asked. But the yesterday incident made him realize that he was in too deep. He might as well drowning in here.

When Chanyeol still didn’t answer him, he sighed. It seemed like he was not relevant enough for Chanyeol to tell him everything. “Ignore me. I don’t have to know.”

Chanyeol’s hard expression dropped, and this time it was his turn to sigh. “No, you have the right to know.”

Baekhyun could’ve sworn that he thought Chanyeol wouldn’t tell him. “Really?”

The don smiled a little. “The trip was for you.”

Baekhyun blinked. “Okay.” He cleared his throat. “Why is it feel like it’s not that shocking?”

“You have adapted well, then?” Chanyeol asked with a laugh. “It was for this country, too. I needed to make sure I got some people behind me when I decided to fight Mastro back.”

It got Baekhyun sit up straight, his head almost hit Chanyeol’s chin. “Wait, we’re going to fight Mastro? As in war?”

“Me, not we, not you. You’re the one I need to protect here, Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun’s jaw ticked. “You know, I’m ing tired to be protected. I don’t need protection.”

“Obviously.”

“Hey, what’s that supposed to mean?”

“I know that you’ll say that. Why can’t you let me protect you?”

“Well, one, I didn’t ask you to. Two, I don’t want to. And three, I can protect my goddamn self.”

Chanyeol had straightened his back at this point, and Baekhyun cursed under his breath that even now when they were sitting, Chanyeol was still taller than him, and he needed to look up at him.

“You really don’t know what you were talking about. You can see yourself that people are aiming for your life. Yesterday, it was poison. Who knows what will happen tonight, tomorrow, next week? Can you actually protect yourself when the danger will eventually come?”

Baekhyun placed his hand in front of Chanyeol’s face, hovering his index finger right before his husband’s eyes. “I am perfectly capable in protecting myself. Don’t you dare talk to me like that, you prick.”

Before Baekhyun turned away, he caught a glimpse of Chanyeol’s remorse eyes. He huffed out heavy breath as he let himself calm down.

“Baekhyun, I didn’t mean it that way.”

Baekhyun can’t see how Chanyeol looked right now. But he can actually imagine how he looked just by the way he said his apology. He was sincere, but Baekhyun was still hurt.

“Baekhyun, would you look at me?” he said in commanding tone when Baekhyun still didn’t look him in the eye.

Chanyeol gripped his hand and pulled him closer, making him face him no matter how much Baekhyun didn’t want to.

He cradled Baekhyun’s jaws with his hands. “Look at me.”

Baekhyun gave him a look. “I’m looking at you.”

“I’m sorry,” Chanyeol exhaled heavily. “I didn’t say that you’re not capable in protecting yourself.”

“Yeah? Because it sure as hell sounded like that.”

“Mastro is capable in more than poisoning you. Hell, they even could destroy this country. I need to protect you, my family, my quarter, and my country. If I can’t even protect my own husband, how am I gonna protect anyone else.”

That took the air right out of Baekhyun. When he looked into Chanyeol’s eyes, all he saw was pain. “Hey,” Baekhyun leaned closer into his touch. “You don’t have to protect everyone, okay? That’s not how this work.”

“I’m responsible for all this, Baekhyun.”

“No, you’re not. , Chanyeol, you’re only eighteen.”

The laugh that come out from Chanyeol’s mouth was so sad that Baekhyun could feel his heart slammed in his chest. “I’m only eighteen.”

“Right,” Baekhyun drew back so he could look at Chanyeol better. “There are so many things you could do other than protecting this damn country. You could go traveling, taking pictures, snowboarding, eating gelato.”

Then Chanyeol only cuddled him closer to his chest until Baekhyun couldn’t look at his face. He buried his face in Baekhyun’s hair, as if inhaling him. “Can I do all of that with you?” he mumbled into his hair.

“Of course, we never even dated as boyfriends before we got married.”

Chanyeol released him. Somehow, Baekhyun could see his remorseful eyes became brighter. “Okay, tomorrow. Let’s go on a date, as boyfriends.”