Mastro

Breathing Fire

“This is getting out of control.”

Chanyeol stared at the panicky Kris, walking back and forth in front of him, his left thumb was in between his teeth. The consigliere had been doing that exact same action for the past half an hour.

Chanyeol moved his gaze to his cousin, Jongin, who was sitting in front of him. His posture was relax, the complete opposite of the consigliere. In fact, there was a trace of amusement on the head of defense’s face.

Chanyeol inhaled slowly. “Sit down, Kris.”

Kris looked at him with his wide eyes. “Sit down? Chanyeol, there are people outside threatening to bomb this house, and you want me to sit down?”

“I said sit down. You only make my headache worse,” Chanyeol said in stern voice.

Once again, his study room was filled with silence. Chanyeol held his gaze on the elder man, unwavered, silently telling him that he was serious.

Kris sighed. “Alright. What do you expect me to do, Don? I just want to protect the Phoenix.”

“Nothing’s going to happen to us. They’ll calm down soon,” Chanyeol responded. He sounded so certain, but he was actually trembling, too. His heart was beating like crazy, his hand unconsciously gripped the hem of his suit for moral support.

Kris scoffed and took a seat beside Jongin. His wrinkle on his forehead really showed that he was the oldest of them all, although he was still on his early 30s. “It was going so smoothly in one month, but because of...”

Chanyeol narrowed his eyes. “What are you trying to say?”

Kris paused and shook his head. “What are you trying to do here, Chanyeol? Why are you... goddammit, why are you keeping him? You know you can’t do that, or else...”

Kris didn’t continue his words. When Chanyeol gave him a look that could slice him into pieces, Kris knew that he had crossed the line. But still, Chanyeol was doing something stupid, his country’s fate was at stake, by keeping Baekhyun here. They needed to send Baekhyun to Italy as soon as possible before it was too late, before the head of mafia in Italy realized that they didn’t receive the teen number thirty one.

“Baekhyun will stay.” Chanyeol bit out each words. “Don’t you dare lay your fingers on him, Kris, or I swear—“

“You seriously risk the life of your whole country for one boy here, huh, Chanyeol?” Kris stood up, approaching the boss. “He doesn’t even understand what’s happening here. He doesn’t know the mess you letting him in!”

Chanyeol got up from his seat too. The two tall males stood face to face with only mere inches seperating them. “I’m the don here, and he’s my husband. And you,” Chanyeol paused, his fingernail digging onto the flesh of Kris’ chest. “ing do your job which, in case you forgot, is just a mere advisor.”

The sound of loud claps blared across the room. Chanyeol let his tension down only a little when he saw from his peripheral vision that Jongin was clapping from his seat.

“Alright, boys. Stop playing around. Kris Hyung, ing back up. Chanyeol Hyung, let him go, don’t kill him.” Jongin untangled his legs and got up. “Both of you are such a child.”

Chanyeol and Kris took a step back at the same time, inhaling calming breaths as they tried to regain their composure. Jongin looked at the two elder men in amusement. It was interesting to watch the two most powerful persons of Phoenix got into heated argument. Jongin can’t help but chuckled and praised Baekhyun inwardly for making these two men go crazy, albeit for different reasons.

Kris fixed his suit and threw Chanyeol a scowl. “Baekhyun’s your husband, that I know. But in case your forgot, so did your other thirty brides and grooms that you sent off without much less of a second thought. So help me to understand this, why is he different?”

It stung. Kris’ words hurt him more than he wanted to admit. Gritting his teeth, Chanyeol forced himself to look at his advisor’s eyes, unwavered. “I can’t let him go, Kris.”

“Tell me why,” Kris snapped. “I let him stay for the second day here. I even tried to be friendly with him yesterday. But the third day, it’s only the third day, but look at the mess he made.”

Chanyeol sagged into the chair, exhausted both mentally and physically. Kris didn’t have to tell him that. He knew. He knew how much of a mess he had make by making Baekhyun stay. This was only the uproar of Korea’s people. Chanyeol can’t imagine if the big boss in Italy finally knew that he had stopped sending him teenagers like he made him to.

It probably only took one month before the big boss realized because Chanyeol was sure that the last person he sent before Baekhyun would only arrive at Italy next month by ship.

One month. He only had one month to look for the other options. But whatever those options were, it would not consist of Baekhyun leaving his side. Baekhyun was his, and he’d kill the man who tried to take what was his.

“How long you’re gonna make him stay?” Kris asked, bracing himself to hear the boss’ answer.

Chanyeol had known Kris as long as he could remember. He, Kris, and Jongin had grew up together. While he and Jongin were cousin, Kris was the son of the previous consigliere but he and Jongin never treated him different. To him, Kris was as much like a big brother to him, no different with Jongin. That was why he never actually gave him a command or such. This was the first time ever, the first command he ever gave his consigliere.

“He’ll stay here as long as I’m still breathing.”

 

~

 

When Kyungsoo let him sit on one of the bench in the green house and left him alone to calm himself down, Baekhyun had time to think. He just realized that this was the first since he came here that he actually thought about his situation. Before, his mind was mostly preoccupied by the likelihood of being shipped out of the country. He barely thought of anything other than that.

Tears forced themselves out of Baekhyun’s eye sockets as soon as his mind gave him a flash of his father and Yeri’s smiling faces. God, he missed them so much at a time like this. He missed his home. He missed his school. He missed his friends. He missed all the things he had before he came here. Before the goddamn black envelope found itself in his locker.

He missed his simple life.

Now his life was at stake. He was standing on a thin thread of hair between life and death. He was trapped and there was no escape. He didn’t even know how to get out of this green house alone. But somehow, the thought of leaving Chanyeol’s side made his stomach fall.

This was bad. Baekhyun was getting too fond of the don. And that was not supposed to happen.

“Baekhyun.”

The said boy’s gaze flew upward at the urgent tone of Kyungsoo’s voice. The servant approached him in a careful manner and held Baekhyun’s shoulder, asking him to get up from the bench. Baekhyun jerked backward when his servant brushed his cheeks, his damp cheeks. Baekhyun didn’t even realize that he was crying.

“Fix yourself, Master. The don is coming here. He’s been worrying over you since early morning. Don’t add it up with your tears,” Kyungsoo said as he did one last sweep across his cheeks. His gaze trained all over Baekhyun’s body, checking it thoroughly. “Alright, wait here.”

Baekhyun snapped out of reverie. He can’t see Chanyeol in this situation. Before he could react, Kyungsoo had turned around and left. “Wait, wait, wait. Kyungsoo!”

Kyungsoo stopped. There was an evidence annoyance in his feature as he turned around to meet Baekhyun’s frantic gaze on him. “What?” he asked calmly.

“He... Chanyeol can’t come here. Please don’t let him see me. I’m not ready!” Baekhyun sputtered, flailing his hands anywhere they could go.

Kyungsoo smiled in response. “Of course he could. He’s the ing don.”

“I... I know, but...”

“Just pull yourself together,” Kyungsoo turned around again, really leaving him behind this time.

Baekhyun was left stunned on his spot. This can’t be happening. He barely collected himself but he already forced to face the subject of his swaying world.

It didn’t even take one minute after Kyungsoo left, Chanyeol came in view. Only him. Baekhyun had expected Kris or Jongin or Kyungsoo tailing behind him, but Chanyeol was alone. Chanyeol, his glorious body was wrapped in a sleak all-black suit, his height and his broad chest and shoulder, Chanyeol’s whole being was made to intimidate.

For a few first seconds, it was all Baekhyun felt. Intimidated. He was sure that his face went beet red and he unconsciously took a step back when Chanyeol was getting closer. But Chanyeol’s intense gaze on him made him stop moving.

Baekhyun tried his hard to control his expression, but he knew that he failed miserably. His eyes were uneasy and apprehensive. His pupils were surely dilated. In that moment, Baekhyun felt like a caged prey.

Chanyeol slowed his steps when he was near, his eyes scanning Baekhyun, just like what Kyungsoo did earlier, checking him if he was okay.

Baekhyun gulped. “Don,” he stammered out.

For a moment, Chanyeol’s face was unamused. Clearly he didn’t like how Baekhyun had called him. “Baekhyun,” he said as he closed the distance between them. “How do you feel?”

Baekhyun let out a shuddering breath. “Confused?”

Chanyeol raised his hand and trailed his thick and rough fingers down Baekhyun’s cheeks. He must had had noticed the tears trails on his cheeks. “Why?”

The stare Chanyeol giving him was making him weak. He made a brief eye contact with his husband, and he already felt like melted.

“Baekhyun.” Chanyeol called him again. Baekhyun seriously forgot that the boss had asked him a question. “What made you confused?”

Baekhyun brought his head back up once more, focusing his gaze, allowing Chanyeol to see him completely. “What’s going on here, Don?”

Chanyeol cursed softly. “Chanyeol. Call me Chanyeol. Why are you calling me with that name again?”

“I don’t know,” Baekhyun yelled histerically and took a step back, giving the two of them a number of distance. “I don’t know anything. I’m blinded. You tell me, Don.”

“Stop.” Chanyeol frowned. “I hate that name, especially when you’re the one who said it.”

“Why?” This time Baekhyun asked him.

He had enough of secrets. He had enough of being left behind in the dark. He wanted to know. No. He needed to know. Or else he’ll go insane.

“Because you’re my husband,” Chanyeol answered.

“That’s a rather vague answer,” Baekhyun tried to send him an icy look. “Answer it like a mafia boss that you are.”

Chanyeol stiffened, and Baekhyun suddenly felt bad, wondering if he had crossed the line. Of course he had crossed the line, he knew. But he was willing to risk it, even if it meant he’ll be thrown out of country. He had been here for three days and he thought he deserve to at least know what the hell was going on.

For a while, Baekhyun could only hear his own heartbeat. The silence was strangling him and Chanyeol’s stare was making his suit grew tighter. If Chanyeol was mad, the don certainly didn’t show it. His stare was burning him, sure, but it wasn’t an angry gaze or sort. It was calculating.

After what felt like an eternity, Baekhyun noticed Chanyeol walk toward him once again. His steps were careful, as if he was afraid that Baekhyun would run away from him. Baekhyun, in fact, wanted to run, but he stood on his ground, pretending to be confident, which was actually a total contradiction of how he felt right now.

There was a slight hesitation in his move when Chanyeol was finally right in front of him. The don inhaled a shaky breath before he took Baekhyun’s hands into his.

His heart was beating erratically now. Baekhyun needed air desperately. “Wha...what are you doing?”

“That should be my line,” Chanyeol smiled weakly.

And for the first time ever, Baekhyun could see through, that Chanyeol’s eyes was the world of pain. What the world had done to this young boy?

Closing the distance between them, Chanyeol rested his forehead on Baekhyun’s. The latter could feel his husband’s breath fanning his hair.

“What are you doing to me, Baekhyun?”

Baekhyun couldn’t really trust his voice right now, but it was impossible for him to keep quiet. “What do you mean?”

“I was so sure. I was so, so sure of what I was doing,” Chanyeol said. He sounded really, really tired. “I’ve guarded my heart, building a concrete wall around it, and I was so sure that I could do this. Only one hundred. The life of one hundred people that I would ruin. I could do that. I’ve sent thirty life of geniuses, Baekhyun. How could I waste them away by stopping here? But I can’t... I can’t send you away.”

“Chanyeol...” Baekhyun let his hands go from Chanyeol’s grasp and traveled them up to Chanyeol’s jaws, cupping his face gently. “Breathe, goddammit.”

Chanyeol didn’t move momentarily. He did just like Baekhyun said, breathing in and out. He almost looked like someone who had a panic attack.

When Baekhyun could see the previous pale face of Chanyeol finally took in colour, the master continued. “Will you tell me? Why are you doing this? Where are you sending them off? To who?”

Just as Baekhyun had expected, Chanyeol didn’t immediately answer. His eyes were downcast. Baekhyun waited and waited. He was willing to wait for Chanyeol to take his time. He could see Chanyeol try his best regulating his breathing. And slowly, his wrist was taken by Chanyeol, guiding him to the bench nearby. They took a seat, then Baekhyun waited again, but not for long this time.

“Ever heard of Mastro?” Chanyeol asked, and Baekhyun shook his head, so the don continued. “They are the head mafia. King of the king of mafia all around the world. And my dad...” Chanyeol gripped his hand tighter. “My dad happened to have a feud with them. Terrible one. And me... I have to pay the price for my dad’s fault. They wanted me to send the best 100 geniuses South Korea has to Italy, to their quarter, to become their people. But those 100 teenagers have to be my wife or husband.”

Chanyeol stopped talking again and focused on his breathing, and Baekhyun had to take a deep breath to compose himself and stop himself for being so impatient. He grabbed Chanyeol’s hands in his, rubbing them once in a while to send reassurance to his husband.

“My dad...” Chanyeol looked warily into Baekhyun’s eyes. “He killed the boss’ wife. So, you can imagine how furious the boss was. He killed my father and my mother. He initially wanted to kill me, but opted out that it was better to punish me. To feel the pain of losing a spouse like he did, he wanted me to marry someone and send them immediately to Italy.”

Baekhyun paled as Chanyeol’s face was shadowed by pain. Chanyeol’s confession scared the hell out of him but he felt more sad and ached for Chanyeol. How could that evil boss of mafia made an 18 years old boy to suffer so deeply, to take a burden this heavy.

“What...” Baekhyun started. “What would they do if you didn’t do what they want?”

Chanyeol’s expression grew somber, and sadness filled his entire eyes. “He threatened to destroy this country.” Chanyeol smiled bitterly. “And I know enough that he meant what he said. It wasn’t just a threat. God knows what he’ll do, Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun suddenly couldn’t breathe. His chest felt like it was being squeezed so tightly it was impossible to inhale even a little bit of air. Tears starting to creep into his eyes when Baekhyun realized this was probably how Chanyeol always felt every minute and every second, every single day. Being tied and couldn’t breathe at all.

“Then what are you doing?” Baekhyun’s lips quivered. “What am I doing here? Why am I still here? You should’ve sent me immediately, Chanyeol.”

The sadness covering Chanyeol’s eyes previously was long gone right away, replaced by complete fury. “What am I doing? I’m protecting you, Baekhyun. I would never send you away.”

Baekhyun got up. Something inside him snapped and he can’t help but lash out. “Then stop protecting me! You have to protect this country. You’re gonna let them destroy us?”

Chanyeol scoffed, his cheeks were red. It was obvious that the don was trying hard to surpress his anger. “I have tried to protect this country, Baekhyun. I’ve sent thirty innocent people away, and the best ones at that. But what the country think of me? A monster. This time I have my priority. I have a husband that I need to protect. Your protection and life come before all else.”

Nausea boiled in Baekhyun’s stomach, making him fall to the bench once more and letting Chanyeol catch him.

“You okay?” Chanyeol asked as he slided next to him, and collecting Baekhyun to his arms. “I know that this is too much to take, but—“

“This is too complicated,” Baekhyun’s voice cracked. His pupils invisibly shook. “What have I got myself into? Chanyeol, this is... this is crazy. You can’t risk the life of our country just for me. I’m not worth it.”

“Be careful of your words, Baekhyun. I don’t like how you belittle yourself,” Chanyeol said gently, not wanting to scare his little husband, but his tone was intense, he would never let anyone—even Baekhyun himself—to think even a second that Baekhyun was not worthy.

“Chanyeol.” Baekhyun raised his head, and their eyes met. “There has to be another way. You can send me, it’s okay. We don’t know what they would do to the 100 teenagers, right? I mean, maybe they just—“

“Exactly, Baekhyun,” Chanyeol said with a low voice. “We don’t know what they’re gonna do to all of you. You could’ve become their worker, or their slave, hell, they might kill all of you. And I’m not going to take any risks.”

“But how about the other thirty?”

“I’ll find a way to get them back, I promise.” Chanyeol sighed. “I’m doing it wrong from the beginning. I shouldn’t even have considered their threat in the first place and look for other alternatives.”

Chanyeol took his hands and Baekhyun closed his eyes, hoping that all of this was just a dream, or a terrible and lame joke Chanyeol had played on him. This can’t be true. This was not his life.

Baekhyun felt the hand holding him grew tighter, and before he could open his eyes, he felt fingers brushed his bang aside and a pair of lips touched his forehead. For a moment, Baekhyun forgot the world he lived in.

It only lasted for a few seconds, thank God, because Baekhyun didn’t think he could handle it if it lasted longer. He blinked his eyes open, and Chanyeol’s face was blurry at first, but it slowly became clear how bright his expression and eyes were now. Baekhyun never saw him smile this bright. And it was just overwhelming knowing that it was directed at him.

“You don’t get it, do you?” Chanyeol fixed his hair on his forehead again after he swept it aside earlier, then his warm hand stayed on Baekhyun’s right cheek, cupping it. His eyes were gentle. “I like you, a lot. And I want you, Baekhyun. I want you more than I can remember wanting anyone or anything else. I want this chance of building a future with you.”

Baekhyun stared back at him. The words Chanyeol just uttered were hard to swallow and very well making him need a little boost of alcohol to relax his tensed muscle. “That doesn’t make any sense. You’ve only known me for three days.”

“Gosh, you’re so stubborn.” Chanyeol chuckled, but his gaze was still strong, unwavered. “I’ve tried not to want you. Believe me, Baekhyun, I’ve tried. I was going to send you off on the first night... but I can’t.”

Baekhyun made a face, one that looked like he just heard the lie of the century. Did Chanyeol expect him to really believe that he truly liked him?

“What do you want me to do, Chanyeol? Because I seriously don’t know what you’re trying to say here.”

The look in Chanyeol’s eyes softened and instantly gave Baekhyun a constricted feeling in his heart. Chanyeol cupped the line of the smaller’s jaw, and Baekhyun closed his eyes in dismay and accidentally exhaled a resigned sigh. Baekhyun didn’t want to feel like this, like he was truly special. The wall that he built trembled under Chanyeol’s sincere tone, gaze, and touch.

“Look at me, Baekhyun.” Chanyeol’s voice reached his ears.

Following the soft demand of his husband, Baekhyun opened his eyes and almost jumped back because the close approximity between their faces, but Chanyeol’s hand was firm on his face, keeping him in place.

Knowing that now he had Baekhyun’s full attention, Chanyeol continued. “All I want is for you to stay with me, close to me. I promise I’ll handle every thing. And you don’t have to worry about your famlily either. They’re also under my protection.”

At the mention of his family, Baekhyun’s eyes grew larger with fear. He totally forgot about his family and the thought of them might be in danger because of him made him shudder. The lure of safety was strong. If Chanyeol could ensure their protection, then so be it, whatever this was.

“Re—really?” Baekhyun whispered.

“I’ll ensure that you and your family are cared for above all others. I’ve told all my men that if it comes to an end that it’s between me and you, I want them to protect you first and foremost. I could take care of myself.”

“I could take care of myself, too.”

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol pinned him with a burning stare. “That is my job, and my men’s. You just have to be with me.“

“It sounds a lot like a puppet.”

Chanyeol looked confused for a while, and when he understood the meaning of Baekhyun’s words, he looked angry. “That’s not what I meant, Baekhyun. Don’t twist my words.”

Because this was too beautiful to come true, a fairytale-like ending to this whole mess. Being in Chanyeol’s care and protection never crossed his mind, ever.

“Do you understand, Baekhyun? Because I really, really need you to understand this, how important you are to me. I want you to stand by my side.”

This had been so hard to fathom in one swallow for Baekhyun. Too much. Baekhyun’s eyes wavered and he drew a calming breath. He felt Chanyeol’s hand traveled down and found his hand, holding it tenderly. He tried to ignore the sting in his eyes as he swallowed it all and finally nodded.

“Okay, I understand.” His voice sounded raw.

Baekhyun watched in fascination how his answer could light up the mafia boss’ eyes. The don sighed in relief and gave Baekhyun an affectionate smile. It was like all the smiles that Chanyeol given him so far were just pale comparison. “God, it was really hard to convince you. But now I could rest assured knowing that you can’t be swayed easily if someone threatened you or something, though I’ll make sure it’ll never happen.”

Baekhyun bit his lip. He wanted to be angry for being so weak against Chanyeol. But Chanyeol’s touch... goddamn  his touch and his ing deep stare.

He relaxed into his husband’s arms and tried to sort out his mind. They stayed like that for a while. Baekhyun tried his heart to calm himself, drawing breath steadily every second and forced his brain to stop thinking, or else he would go nuts. He thought he’ll put this behind him for now. He’ll trust Chanyeol that he’ll protect him and his family.

Baekhyun cleared his throat, determined to change the atmosphere around them. “What time is it now?”

“Almost ten,” Chanyeol answered. “Have you had your breakfast?”

Baekhyun almost smiled. He remembered the first time he asked Chanyeol whether he had eaten or not and thought that it was a couple thing. “No. Kyungsoo dragged me here the second I opened my eyes.”

Chanyeol laughed and Baekhyun could feel his laughter rumbled down his body because Chanyeol was hugging him so tight. “Alright, let’s have breakfast together.”

Baekhyun released himself from his husband’s hold as he sat upright. “Together?”

Chanyeol laughed again when he saw Baekhyun’s eyes wide open. “Is it so hard to believe that I asked you to eat together?”

“Uhm, yeah, obviously?” Baekhyun gave him a look. “You’ve been... really busy.”

Chanyeol stood on his feet and pulled Baekhyun up with him, and the smaller male gasped silently when his husband took his hand and entwined their fingers. “As much as I want to deny it, it’s true that I’ve been busy.”

“You don’t say,” Baekhyun tried to hide his embarrassment. Did Chanyeol going to hold his hand all the way to the dining room? “Hey, what did you say about the name of that Italian mafia?”

“Mastro,” Chanyeol answered.

“Right,” Baekhyun nodded. “Remind me to google them. I never ever hear that name.”

And by that, Chanyeol’s laughter was the one that filled the silence during their journey to the dining room.

 

 

 

 

 


I wish you all early happy christmas!