The 1st Chapter

Remember Me?

NOTE: PLEASE REFER TO THE FOREWORD FOR THE CHARACTER'S NAMES.THANK YOU :)

 

Remember Me?
 

THE 1st CHAPTER

Coffee is heating up.

The spreadsheets for the logs are already arranged alphabetically.

The pencils in the pencil holder—yes, the pencil holder—are all angled at one hundred eighty degrees.

And the whole wheat bagel was on a plate with room temperature butter on the side.

Amanda “Mandy” Lee looked around the office of her boss checking if she missed anything because if she did, she wouldn’t hear the end of it for her slave-driver of a boss. Her iPhone let out a chime and she unlocked it and checked her message.

It was from her boss.

Where is my taxi?

Crap.

Not on a day like this…She completely forgot about reserving a taxi. She’ll get roasted later for sure.

Ping!

Another text…

She opened up the message box and her boss seemed like she’ll about to bit someone’s head off.

If I don’t get there in time, Lexie, you will be so fired!

Yep. Again, she is Lexie Hoffman. Her bosses former employee…from the nineties. Her sixty something boss—according to Mr. Leyman—had about two dozen assistants and she called all of them Lexie. It’s as if the name has a curse. Why you ask?

Because all those former Lexies were either fired, relocated, or went AWOL. And by the looks of it, Man-xie—as all the other employees would call her—will be the next one. Now, all that’s left is to either disappear, get fired, or relocate. All of which she can’t afford to experience because she needs this job—she needs to pay for her parents rent, her brother’s college tuition fee and her own apartment.

You would think that since she pays for her parent’s monthly mortgage that she can live with them but no, she vowed to herself never to move back in because she can’t take her mother’s constant remarks as to why she broke up with Ryan Hong—that no good scumbag who cheated on her with his hot co-worker at the entertainment company he works at. So even if it’s too much of a baggage she lives on her own at a dingy apartment, living off on ramen and convenience store kimchi just to save enough money.

She bit her bottom lip and whipped around so she can call a cab for her Golden Dragon boss. When she turned an about face, unwittingly she bumped with someone else who muttered something in Spanish—or so she thinks.

“Miss, can you watch where you’re going? This is a one of a kind Armani Suit” The man spoke coldly as he stepped inside the office with a rich boy attitude. Mandy clucked her tongue in the inner wall of her cheek. Jerk.

She hesitated to do her job as an assistant but she had to tell him to wait outside. With heavy heart, she walked up to him and offered him a fake smile. “Sir, it’s in a protocol that our visitors would wait outside.” She said this as politely as she could but the man’s seemed to be super glued to the plush couch. “Sir, may I ask you to go wait in the waiting area like all the other visitors?” This man is starting to get on my last nerves.

The man looked at her with a very stoic icy expression as if telling her to get lost. “I made an appointment with her.” He looked away and fixed his expensive looking neck tie.

Why is this man acting so impossible?

“Sir, you can wait for my boss outside.” Mandy said through gritted teeth. “Because like I said, it’s our company’s protocol.” She bellowed as she pointed towards the sears outside.

“And like I said, miss…” he paused looking at Mandy’s company ID. “Lee, I made an appointment, so could you please get out of my sight?” He begrudgingly said.

What a bastard! Mandy seriously wanted to punch this man.

The man looked at her as if she were a cartoon character. “Aren’t you leaving?” He pursed his lips.

Mandy balled her hands into fists. “Whatever you say, sir.” She pivoted towards the exit and robotically got out of the room resisting the urge to slam the door. As soon as the door closed, she fanned herself. I can’t believe a guy like him exists.

“Mandy, are you okay?” Her friend, Hanna asked when she returned from her work cubicle. The petite young woman sighed as she took a seat—she was already tired after dealing with that man.

“I’m fine.” Mandy groveled as she picked up the phone and dialed the cab company number so her boss can get picked up before she loses it and fires Mandy on the spot. Once she made a quick conversation with the receptionist, she sent her boss a message to inform her that the cab was on the way.

As she typed in the details for the next case, her phone chimed again. She picked it up from her left side and looked at the ID. Yep, it’s her boss.

We will talk later.

Simple. Clear. Precise.

“I’m so fired.” She muttered.

“You forgot about the cab again, huh?” Hanna poked her head and smiled. Mandy nodded as she rubbed her face. She can’t lose her job, it’s a matter of life and death.

“You know, for someone so rich, how can our boss not afford her own car? I mean, it’s not like she’ll lose all her money to buy one stupid car.” Mandy blurted out.

“Well, Miss Lee, I tend to be more vigilant in how I spent my money.”

Mandy’s insides froze up. Damn it. Why is traffic not working with me right now? Mandy whipped around and saw Helga Finn, the sixty something slave driver. Cautiously, Mandy looked down, suddenly feeling guilty and ashamed.

Helga laughed. “I caught you red handed Miss Lee.” She raised a perfectly plucked eyebrow as she show her employees her super white teeth that seems to glow in the dark.

“I—I can explain Mrs. Finn…” Mandy stammered, trying to rack her brain for something to say.

“No. You won’t say anything unless I told you to do so, you got it?” She eyed Mandy from head to toe, clearly she disapproved Mandy’s simple attire—from her button down top from the local market, to her pencil cut skirt from the department store and her low heeled shoes from K-mart—Helga probably thinks that she doesn’t belong in the law firm filled with classy and elegant looking people. “Come with to my office now.” She commanded.

As she flipped her auburn hair, Helga exuded her confidence despite her age. Mandy followed her boss with her head bowed down. Good bye, paying job….She really wanted to sob right then and there. As they entered the office, Mandy forgot about the man she specifically asked to leave and sit in the waiting room. I won’t just be fired, I’ll be burnt to a crisp. She thought to herself

“Edward, you’re already, here.” She greeted the man—whose name is apparently Edward with a warm smile. “I’m sorry I was late, my assistant, Lexie Lee, didn’t really call the cab to pick me up.” Mandy wanted to correct her boss but resisted the urge not to because she didn’t want to risk anything. She just bowed her head.

The man chuckled. “Still giving your employees a hard time huh, Aunt Helga?”

Aunt?

“I do not.” She turned to Mandy and smiled a watery-fake smile. “Right, Lexie?”

“Um…my name is Mandy, Mrs. Finn.” She corrected.

The smile on her boss’s face turned into a frown. Edward chuckled. Helga pursed her lips and sat on her big chair. She placed her hands together and looked at Mandy.

Here it comes…Mandy thought to herself.

Mandy.” She said her name evenly as if disgusted by saying another name that’s not Lexie. “This is you new boss, Edward Lee.”

Mandy looked at her boss as if she were an alien. “My—my what?” She stammered.

“Your boss.” Helga looked at her and smiled. “He’s my nephew.”

Mandy looked at Helga then, to Edward who flashed Mandy a very smug smile. “Hello, Lexie—oh, I mean, Mandy. I’m Attorney Edward Lee,” he paused, taking out a calling card from his front pocket. “I’m the General Manager of the Legal Department of Lee General Food Merchandising, Inc.”

“You will be assigned in the Legal Department.” Helga interjected.

Mandy looked on in disbelief as she was just completely tossed out. She’ll be working for the biggest food company in South Korea. She felt her limbs go weak.

“You will be starting tomorrow, Miss Lee.” Edward stood from the plush couch and walked towards the door, I’ll be sure to make your time in my company worthwhile.” He gave her a wink.

Oh my gosh…

Mandy just arrived in her apartment after a long day of hauling her stuff and sending it to the office. As she was putting in the key, she felt the door creak open. What the heck? She opened the door and grabbed onto her pepper spray and as soon as the lights opened, she was greeted by a tall man looking to pounce on her. Not noticing who it was, she pushed the top of the spray.

“Ow. What the heck was that?!” A loud, familiar roar of voice was heard. She immediately opened the lights and saw her little brother, Liam. 

To Be Continued...