One

Matoki Studies

***********

Minmin creeped into her second story window. "It's very awkward to be doing this all the time" Minmin whispered to herself as she jiggled her window open. She raised her foot up careful not to dirty her new high-top sneakers as it gently glides into her open window. Her heart begins to race as she hears every beat of her heart in curiosity. "I hope no one heard me. That’s all I need is to get in trouble by Yongguk again" she thought to herself. She quickly changes in to her night clothes and jumps in to bed. Before her eyes could close, the door swung open. Minmin quickly closes her eyes and pretends to sleep.

"Quit faking and get up" a deep voice echoed throughout the room. Minmin still keeps her eyes shut as this person continued to stand by the bed. After a few minutes, the door slammed shut. "Ugh" Minmin turned over and sighs as she makes eye contact with her brother as he leans over toward her. "Is there ever going to be a time in which you come home before midnight?" Yongguk says deeply. Minmin sits up and folds her hands on her lap, "The real question is how do I hide myself successfully from my older brother Yongguk?"

"You can't" he said, "I always hear you crawling on our fence to the second story window. You are not quiet in your attempt to be quiet" Yongguk said waving his finger in front of Minmin's face. Minmin follows Yongguk's finger curiously as she attempts to bite it. Yongguk begins to laugh as he sits next to Minmin. "You are my little sister and I worry about you....a lot. When will you ever just behave instead of hanging out with friends so late at night?"

Minmin sticks out her bottom lip and lets out a miserable sigh, "I will stop whenever you all stop treating me like a baby. I was just with friends at the arcade and skateboarding. Was that so bad" she whispers as she continues to stare at the floor.

"You can skateboard and go to the arcade after school. Why don't you do that? Or even just hang with me" Yongguk said putting his hand on Minmin’s shoulder. Yongguk is always so understanding when I mess up. Yongguk stares at Minmin in silence as she begins to play with her hair. "I look forward to the day when I don't have to worry about you and today that day seems to be when you are sleeping. So please go to sleep" Yongguk says as he kisses Minmin's forehead. Minmin closes her eyes and looks down as Yongguk walks softly out the door.

Minmin's head drops to the pillow as she whispers to herself, "Man Minmin... When will you ever do something good to make your brother proud?" Tears begin to fall but Minmin quickly dries her tears as she yells, "When will you ever not have girls hanging all over you so I can hang with you?" Minmin begins to get angry as she recalls the many times that she has tried to talk to Yongguk at school but there always seems to be some girl who is so fond over Yongguk where they can't control their own feelings even though my brother is never interested. "I guess that comes with being handsome" Minmin laughs to herself, "Oh well. Better than being unattractive I guess."

~**~**~

"JaeJae!" Yena squealed as she ran up to him and jumped on his back squeezing him in a giant koala hug.

"YeYe" Youngjae groaned out. "What have I told you about surprising me like that?"

"Sorry I couldn't help it. I missed you." Yena replied.

"You literally just saw me yesterday when our families ate dinner together." He said with a smile that grew as he heard Yena giggle. "Come on, off now we have to get to the cafe."

"You mean you're not going to carry me?" She asked innocently. Yena stared until Youngjae gave in, grumbling as he did so. "Yay!" She yelled. "Onward my steed!"

"Say that again and I'll drop you." Youngjae threatened. Yena nodded quickly and with that they started making their way to the cafe where they would be meeting their group of friends.

"Are you ready for your first year of college?" Youngjae asked her during a break in her rambling. Yena paused, thinking.

"I'm not sure I'll ever be completely ready but you and Daehyun will be there to help me and I'm hoping to actually make some friends of my own instead of just mooching off your guys' friend group." Yena admitted.

"Our friends like you though." He said trying to get her to believe it.

"No the girls hate me cause they think I'm out to steal all the guys from them and therefore the guys only tolerate me since the girls don't like me." Yena retorted with a pout. "I want friends or even a single friend other than you and Daehyun who cares about me and likes being my friend. Not someone who just puts up with me." Youngjae had no response so he just squeezed her thighs. He hated seeing his friend down like this. "Hey we're here. Let me down." Yena jumped off his back as they approached the cafe where they could see a group of people waiting for them at the tables outside.

"Hey guys." Youngjae said smiling and waving. Various calls of 'hey' and 'hello' rang out.

"What took you guys so long?" Daehyun spoke out from his place next to his girlfriend, Eunha.

"This one wanted to be carried so of course it took longer." Youngjae answered while poking Yena in her side making her laugh and pull away.

"Hey Dae." Yena said as she and Youngjae walked towards the empty seats beside him.

"Hey Ye." He replied reaching up to ruffle her hair. Yena grumbled as she pushed his hand away and started fixing her hair. She then sat there in silence, just listening, while the rest of the group chatted away taking about high school memories, who was looking forward to what in their upcoming year at college, and just catching up in general as it was the last times until their next college breaks that they would be able to meet up.

"So Yena." Yena's head shot up as she wasn't actually expecting to be addressed. "Following Daehyun and Youngjae to their college then? Couldn't leave them alone for another year could you."

"Eunha." Daehyun scolded the girl lightly while shooting an apologetic look to Yena at the same time.

"Don't be bitter just cause you didn't get accepted into the same college Eunha." Youngjae said, in a joking tone that his eyes didn't match, coming to Yena's defense. Eunha glared.

Both Youngjae and Yena had issues with Eunha but Daehyun liked her so they refused to do anything about it, yet, as they only wanted to see their best friend happy.

"I like the program they have there, having them already attending is just a plus." Yena said quietly trying to diffuse the situation. And it worked as conversations drifted to other topics and she was once again forgotten. College can't come soon enough. Yena thought to herself as she leaned into Youngjae's side and starting counting down to when they would leave.

*************

"You have to go college shopping Minmin... Get back here now" her mother screamed as Minmin rode her skateboard down the road ignoring the words of her mother.

"I promise I will go when I am done at the arcade" Minmin yelled at her mother, "maybe." "I have to go now. I cannot let Ray beat my score at the arcade. I worked too hard for it." Minmin said skateboarding toward the arcade in Gangnam. Time passes as she skateboards toward the arcade and nothing but fearful thoughts fill her head. "How did I even get accepted into college is the real question? I swear I need a degree on how to find friends because all my friends are not even going to college but studying abroad. I am so jealous." Minmin huffed to herself. She picked up speed as she rode down the hill that would take her to get favorite arcade. As she picked up speed suddenly a tall man tripped backwards right into the line of view of Minmin. She quickly tried to stop but instead jumped off of her skateboard and collided into the man as both fell hard to the ground. Minmin let out a loud scream as the man let out a grunt as he slammed to the concrete. "What in the world are you doing?" Minmin stood up and screamed at the man.

"You want to die. I was simply walking. The real question is why on earth are you skateboarding so fast in a business district?" He yelled back.

"Do I want to die? Oh I don't think so, who are you to get so sassy with me." Minmin yelled as she pounced on him, "Say it again I dare you."

Minmin straddled herself on top of the man and held him down by his shoulders. Both begin screaming at each other as the man takes hold of Minmin's wrists. "Get off now!" He yells at her.

Suddenly Minmin is yanked up by her t-shirt as she begins to kick and scream. "Knock it off Minnie" a deep voice yells in a terrifying manner. Minmin stops kicking as she realizes there is only one human being on this planet that calls her Minnie. She turns her head and notices Yongguk is still holding on to her shirt and turning redder as every second of pure silence passes.

"Yongguk" Minmin says quietly as she tries to smile. Yongguk looks past Minmin as he gently puts her down to the ground.

"Are you okay Himchan? Gosh I'm so sorry for my sister's behavior. She is the odd one of the family that doesn't know her boundaries" Yongguk says as he helps Himchan to his feet.

"It’s okay. It’s not like she could beat me up anyways" Himchan says as he laughs with Yongguk. "What? Watch me pretty boy!" Minmin yells but quickly is silenced as she notices Yongguk simply glaring at her.

"I came because Minnie needs to go shopping for college which might I add she starts in a couple days. She ignored mother and sent me to find her" He says to Himchan.

"Which University? Our University!" Himchan shockingly states.

"Yeah our university. Here take this money and buy yourself an ice pack and possibly some therapy" Yongguk jokes to Himchan.

"Haha you funny. Thanks though. I will keep an eye out for your bodyguard of a sister. Bye Yongguk" Himchan laughs as he walks away.

Yongguk sighs heavily as he stands with his back towards Minmin. "Why are you like this Minnie?" He says in a stern voice.

"I don't mean to..." Minmin begins to say.

"Why is it so hard for you to be good and behave? Why do I spend so much time worrying about you more than I worry about my own life? Why? Why? Why?" Yongguk says as a tear falls from his eye, "You are so intelligent and smart but instead you spend your days downtown doing ridiculous things with no value."

"School is not fun to me nor is it challenging for me. I get my homework done in an hour and then you expect me to stay and do what?" Minmin yells back, "Because apparently I am the odd one of the family yet this odd one is going to the same University as you."

"Don't yell at me. I just saved you from being stupid. You could have hurt Himchan. Did you not think of that?" Yongguk says sternly.

Both stand in front of one another in silence as both become more confused and hurt.

"I'm sorry" Minmin whispers softly, "I don't mean to act this way. I just... Don't know what to do. I have nobody who understands me or cares to understand me. I feel like people simply like me because they can put up with me. And I feel like that's how you feel about me brother." Minmin leans her head down as she begins to cry. Yongguk quickly grabs Minmin's shoulders and pulls her into a hug.

"I'm sorry Minnie" he says with a gentle whisper, "I may not understand you sometimes but I do love and cherish you. Don't let yourself give up with your dream. Every dream is never measured by size so accomplish all you can. And if that dream is to find one friend who understands you then make that your dream" Yongguk says as he continues to hug Minmin.

Minmin digs her head into Yongguk's chest as she begins to cry.

~**~**~

“Are you all packed for college then?" Youngjae asked entering her room.

                "Almost I just have to pack up all my daily necessities tomorrow morning then I'll be all ready to go." Yena answered as she started stacking her bags by the door. "Please say you're still planning on showing me where everything is so I don't have to be stuck in one of those orientation groups right?"

"Of course like me and Dae would leave you to suffer with one of those peppy guides like we had to. They don't even tell you all the important stuff." Youngjae says as he starts helping her get organized. "We'll even help you unpack in your dorm if you want."

"How very generous of you," Yena said. "I'm pretty sure I don't want you going through my things though." She sticks her tongue out, laughing at Youngjae's face.

"Well then, guess you don't get these muscles to help you with all your heavy bags..." Daehyun trailed off as he entered Yena's room flexing.

"What muscles." Youngjae and Yena deadpanned at the same time.

"Hurtful!" Daehyun said throwing a hand to his heart. "Anyway how are we doing this tomorrow then?" He asked them, sitting down on the bed.

"Well we are all meeting up here at 10, most of our luggage is going into JaeJae's parent's car and we are all riding up with my parents right?" Yena said to clarify. Both boys nodded in agreement. "Okay good." Yena collapsed on her bed throwing her feet onto Daehyun's lap. "JaeJae~ get over here." She whined, making grabby hands at him. Youngjae walked over, lifting her head only to place it down on his lap after he sat.

"It's finally happening. You're joining us in college. It's going to be so much better with you there Ye." Daehyun said. Yena smiled at him.

"I'm starting to be excited about going. I missed you guys a lot last year and now I can actually see you all the time again." She admitted. Youngjae ran his fingers through her hair.

"You'll like it there. Trust me. You'll have us and you'll make new friends. It'll be good for you YeYe." The three friends sat in silence for a few seconds before Daehyun broke it.

"How about a sleepover here one last time before we go?" He asked.

"You make it sound like we are never coming back Dae." Yena said while laughing.

"No I just mean before we start at college together why not celebrate. I can get my parents to bring my stuff over tonight and we can get it packed in the car and Yena your parents won't mind right? Besides it'll be one less thing for us to worry about tomorrow morning."

"Good point you'd probably be late if we let you go back home tonight." Youngjae said thoughtfully.

"Besides when do my parent ever mind that you guys crash, they love you both." Yena answers truthfully. "I'll go ask just to be safe though." After rolling off the bed Yena left the room to go find her parents.

"We have to look after her you know." Youngjae said after he knew she could no longer hear them.

"I know." Daehyun replied. "We can't let it-"

"Hey guys they said yes. Daehyun call you parents to bring your stuff, Youngjae go grab clothes for you and Dae, oh and is the usual good for dinner tonight?" Yena said sticking her head in the doorway.

"Yeah that's fine. Tell your parents thanks." Youngjae replied quickly. "When I get back I'll help out with the food okay?"

"Okay!" Yena said as she walked to the kitchen to start dinner. Daehyun and Youngjae doing as they were told before joining her to help cook. After dinner Yena's partners insisted they go relax while they cleaned up. They made their way back to Yena's room where they set up the futon for the night. Deciding to watch a movie Yena begged the boys to let her choose. "There's this one called Hush that's supposed to be good."

"Ye, it better now be a horror movie." Daehyun warned. Yena just stared back innocently.

"It's a movie about a women who's deaf. I'm not sure what else but I've heard good things. Pleaseeee." Both boys ended up giving into her wishes and so selecting Hush on Netflix the two boys spent the next hour and a half cursing Yena in their minds as they tried not to show her how scared they were all the while she just commented on the movie like it wasn't about a psycho man trying to kill a deaf women in the worst possible ways. Yena knowing her friends fear waited until a suspenseful moment near the end of the movie before screaming and grabbing their shoulders which caused both boys to jump and scream back. Yena laughed so hard she started to cry. "This never gets old. I love how easily you guys get scared. You can't fool me."

"YeYe. You're so cruel to us." Youngjae said breathing heavily. "Why do you always do this to us?"

"Simple three reasons-no one else will watch horror movies with me, you guys are too nice to say no, and it's so much fun to scare you both." Yena answered in a proud voice. Both Daehyun and Youngjae just looked at her resigned as they knew they wouldn't change anything at all. "I love you guys." Yena said hugging them both.

 "Love you too." They responded hugging her back. Movie forgotten, they got ready for bed-the boys sharing the futon and Yena in her bed, they then talked until one by one they drifted off into sleep.

**********

Minmin turned around shocked as she noticed all the bags, blankets, and suitcases that Yongguk helped her pack. "How do I have so much junk?" she asked as she stared at her brother.

"Well you are a girl and girls have a lot of stuff" Yongguk said laughing.

"Haha" Minmin sneered as she gave Yongguk a grin.

"Well I will start to put your junk in the car and then we can head out. I would suggest you go and hug mom and dad because you won't see them for awhile as busy as you will be" Yongguk said smiling with his addicting gummy smile. Minmin nodded and began walking upstairs to her parents room. She knocked gently on the door as her mother softly told her to come in.

"Mom? Dad? We are leaving in a little bit, I came to say goodbye" Minmin said hesitantly.

"Oh Minmin we are going to miss you so much" her dad said as he walked to hug her, "you stay out of trouble and make our family name proud." At that moment, Yongguk entered and began to hug Minmin from behind. Then shortly afterward, mother hugged her husband from the back and began to cry.

"Aww mom. Don't cry. If you cry then we will never leave" Minmin said in a sassy tone.

"I'm sorry. My babies are leaving for the same college, I cannot be more proud" her mother said as she began to cry.

Father quickly separated the group hug and said "Now hurry and don't be late. Your mother will be fine. We love you both." Both Yongguk and Minmin were practically shoved out the door as both began to laugh.

Minmin and Yongguk packed the car to the ceiling after 15 minutes and piled into her car as they drove the 2 hours to their college. The two hours were spent listening to music while Yongguk slept. Minmin pulled into the college and immediately felt fear as she noticed the size of the college. She quickly sped to her dorm hall, parked the car, and ran out of the car to look. "Dang... This place is like a city in itself" she said as she quickly went back to the car, pulled out her skateboard leaving Yongguk to sleep in the car. Minmin quickly got on her skateboard and rode freely around the campus in curiosity.

"This place is huge" she continued to mumble. But suddenly her gaze was distracted as she stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. "Who is that?" she thought to herself as she pointed at the guy coming from a tall brick building. Minmin could not help but stare as she noticed how handsome this man was. "But he looks so familiar" she mumbled to herself as she hears a faint whisper in the background. As she stood and stared, she noticed the faint noise was getting louder and louder.

"Watch out!" she heard as she was sent flying into the concrete then rolled to the side of the grass. "Ugh. Ouch" she mumbled as she held her elbow and back. A tall guy came running over to Minmin, "are you okay? I'm so sorry. I kept yelling for you to move but you didn't hear me" he stuttered.

"Why you..." Minmin began to say as she glanced up, "dude you are tall" she muttered and laughed. She practically had to strain her neck to look at him. He held out his hand to help Minmin up. "I get that a lot" he laughed.

"Aww and you are precious" Minmin replied as she noticed how baby faced and adorable this student was. He laughed and replied, "You can call me Zelo. I'm tall and I love to skateboard."

Minmin bowed and laughed, "My name is Minmin. I'm short and I too love to skateboard."

Both began to laugh.

"You’re funny Minmin" he smiled, "need help moving in. I'm done with my stuff. I was just exploring" he said softly.

"Sure... Let me go... Oh no" Minmin yelled, "my brother is still sleeping the car." Minmin for on her board and skated as fast as she could in the direction of the car. Zelo diligently followed behind.

"Your brother... In a car? What is happening?" Zelo yelled to Minmin.

"Please don't tell my brother you ran into me. This has happened before" Minmin said hesitantly.

Both arrived at the car and out of breath. Minmin looked but Yongguk was gone and so was her stuff. Zelo investigated the car while Minmin investigated the other side of the car. Both looked at each other in disbelief and yelled, "he's been kidnapped!" at the same time.

"And I've been robbed!" Minmin yelled as Zelo came over to comfort her.

"It's okay.. Here" he said handing Minmin his sweater, "take this. You will need this to survive." "I don't need that" she said handing back his sweater.

"What are you doing?" a voice said to Zelo.

Minmin looked down to her shoes wondering what to do.

"Her brother has been kidnapped and she's been robbed," Zelo responded.

"Her brother is right here" Yongguk said pointing to himself, "I was not kidnapped. Why are you so clueless Minnie!" Yongguk said chuckling, "I put your stuff in your room since you left me sleeping in the car."

"Hey thanks brother" Minmin said with a side grin. "Oh this is Zelo. My new friend!"

"Yeah I ran into her. Literally" Zelo said laughing.

"Well good good..." Yongguk mumbled as all three stood in a circle of awkward silence.

"Anyways... Show me to my room" Minmin ordered to Yongguk.

"Okay follow me" Yongguk ordered as Minmin and Zelo followed. All three began walking toward a big 5 story apartment building.

~**~**~

"Yena, honey, wake up." Yena heard a voice calling her name and as she blinked her eyes open she saw her mom and dad staring back at her with similar small smiles on their faces. "We're here. Wake the boys up ok sweetie." Yena then realized what position they were in. Sometime during the three hour drive she ended up falling asleep with her head on Youngjae's shoulder and his head resting on her. Daehyun had his head on her shoulder and was quietly mumbling in his sleep.

"JaeJae wake up." Yena whined softly while moving her head as her position became more uncomfortable with every passing moment. Youngjae slowly lifted his head, bringing his hand up to rub his eyes. "Morning JaeJae." Yena grinned at him.

"Afternoon YeYe." Youngjae yawned his response to her.

"Hey Dae wake up." Yena said trying to wake the other gently. Daehyun woke up, moving to stretch as much as he could in the van.

"Okay now that everyone's awake, what's the plan?" Yena's dad asked. Youngjae was the first to speak up.

 "We'll help you take up all of Yena's things to her room then Dae and I will go help my parents move everything into our room. Then once that's all done, meet for a late lunch/early dinner right?"

"Sounds good to us. Let's go guys." Yena's mom said with a grin. After loading up their arms with Yena's belongings they made their way to her dorm room. Once she had received the key and unlocked her door they dropped all her bags wherever they could.

"Looks like your roommate already moved in but isn't here. I wanted to meet her too." Yena's father spoke up.

"I'm sure you'll meet her eventually dad." Yena said. "I wonder what she's like." She spoke more to herself than anyone else.

"I bet you two will become the best of friends, Ye." Daehyun said while organizing her bags a bit more.

"I hope you're right." Yena replied. "Now come on boys my parents and I can handle the rest, you two go move in. The sooner we all finish the sooner we can go eat!" Yena said giving the boys a small shove towards the door.

 "Fine fine. We'll go, we'll go." Youngjae said putting his hands in the air. "I'll call you when we're done. And then we can figure out where to meet ok?"

"Sounds good see you guys soon." Yena called as Youngjae and Daehyun left. Yena's dad followed them out to get their few luggage items from the van and making sure nothing of Yena's was left in there. Yena put on some music that her and her mom listened to while working on unpacking. Her dad returned shortly after and helped them finish what little was left. While they were sitting down, talking and relaxing after all their hard work Yena got a call from Youngjae. A short talk later they agreed to meet up down in the parking lot to go for a meal off campus. Both sets of parents and the three kids got in the van and went off to find food, all in a happy mood.

 After a fulfilling meal they made their way back to campus. There the parents said goodbye to their kids. "Sweetie, good luck okay. We are going to miss you but we are only a phone call away. Don't be afraid to call no matter how small it is." Yena's dad said as he drew her into a giant bear hug.

"Thanks dad and I know I'll probably call you more than you'll want to hear from me."

"Settle in and if not before give us a call at the end of your first week ok?" Yena's mother said as she joined their hug.

"Of course mom. I'll miss you guys. But I'll be home for break in a little over a month." Yena answered squeezing her dad one last time before turning around and giving her mom a proper hug. "Love you guys."

"Love you too honey." They both responded. After hugging her parents one last time they got into the van along with Youngjae's parents and to the waves of their kids they drove off.

"So you ready for this?" Daehyun said as he swung his arm over Yena's shoulder. "As ready as I can be." Yena replied, nodding her head.

"You got this YeYe." Youngjae spoke up as he fell in step with his other two friends. They three walked in light chatter to Yena's dorm.

"Okay guys I don't want to overwhelm my roommate with you guys if she's there so I'll see you tomorrow morning for breakfast. Then you'll give me that promised tour right?" Yena said a little reluctantly at the thought of meeting her roommate.

"Right. Does 9 work for breakfast?" Youngjae asked to which Yena agreed.

"And don't forget to text or call us tonight to tell us how your roommate is." Daehyun told her.

"Ok, ok. Goodness you guys might be worse than my parents." She said while sticking her tongue out at them. "I'll see you tomorrow morning. Night guys!" Yena called out heading inside. As Yena approached her room she became more and more nervous. She stood at the door for a few seconds before gathering the courage to enter. Her roommate was sitting on her bed with headphones in.

At first looks Yena got a tomboy vibe from the girl with the way she was dressed and the skateboard leaning against the wall. Then she noticed her beautiful long brown hair, almost as long as her own. She didn't seem to be much taller than Yena herself but it was hard to tell as she was sitting. Yena closed the door and walked closer to the girl, who took her headphones out as she approached.

"Umm hi. I'm Ahn Yena and I guess we are roommates. It's nice to meet you. I hope we can get along well." Yena said with a slight bow of her head.