Childish

Childish

What is this feeling? Am I shaking? No, it's probably the vibrations of the engine of the car. Do I have butterflies in my stomach? Obviously not, I knew it was a mistake to have prawn salad for lunch today! Am I nervous? No, it's probably regret. Why would I agree to go on a date with a stranger? I know this is Chen's matchmaking business, and maybe I should help him out, but I could do all the administration crap, right? I shouldn't actually have to go on a date with some guy who probably doesn't even know the difference between Clio Kill Black Waterproof Pen Liner and Clio Gelpresso Pencil Gel Liner! Ugh, this is going to be a disaster!

It's 7pm and I'm slowly pulling my car into a parking space directly outside the Italian restaurant my date requested we meet. I thought the matchmaking business was supposed to decide the location based on the preferences of both parties? But no, because "Mr PCY" (according to the card I was given) had a special request, I ended up at this tacky place. I almost want to turn around and go home to fulfil my usual Friday night activities, such as stalking my ex on social media, crying at how amazing he's doing without me, then consoling myself with ice cream and romantic KDramas. However, some small part of my brain begs me to continue with what I feel will be a horrendous evening, and for some reason I listen to that tiny part of me. Slowly, I open the door and get out, smart black shoes clacking quietly as they hit the pavement in hurried steps, me hoping to get this over and done with as soon as possible.

Of course I'm exactly on time, punctuality is my priority, I owe this guy at least that I suppose. But there's no one waiting outside. Irritation begins to consume me as I realise this jerk hasn't bothered to show up on time, and it shows in my actions as I lean against the wall, hand held up sassily whilst I sigh heavily, waiting for a man I don't know and don't care to know.

5 minutes pass, 10 minutes pass, and now it's nearing 15, any nerves I had have vanished to be completely replaced by annoyance and I'm seriously considering just giving up and going home. I heard Shopping King Louis is a great romantic comedy, the perfect way to spend this disappointing evening, and didn't I have Ben and Jerry's in the freezer? The one with brownies and cookie dough because someone actually made perfection in a pot. I can't help but take a step towards the car, anticipation filling me as I think of the comfort awaiting me in my apartment only a half hour drive away. Another hesitant step. Blankets, so many blankets. A long couch to myself. Happiness. I need to go home. A longer, hasty stride is soon interrupted by a member of staff of the restaurant.

"Excuse me, are you Mr BBH?"

Unable to prevent my eyes rolling, I turn towards him. "I suppose so, but whyyy?" I can't help but whine, now very much looking forward to a night in.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, but I believe you had a reservation this evening with one Mr PCY? He has been eagerly waiting for 20 minutes and I hope you would be so kind as to meet with him, if it isn't too much trouble. He was very upset when you didn't arrive, and as a diligent staff member I aim to bring 100% satisfaction to all customers, by aiding them in everything I can. Mostly this pertains to food and beverage orders of course, but I do not limit myself!"

Who on earth does this guy think he is? Does he want a medal? Most likely a good comment to his manager, looking for a raise. And what does he mean about this PCY guy? I've been here just as long and I haven't seen anyone! I can't let down Chen, despite the fun evening I'd planned in my head at home. Curse friendship. I sigh once more, "Alright, where is the man?"

"Right this way, good sir." Then the conscientious crank led me into the restaurant. Which of course I hadn't checked inside of, because who would go inside without their date on a dark November's evening? Apparently PCY would. What an excellent first impression this guy is making: I can't wait to meet him!

Stepping inside, I can barely see my surroundings. Their interpretation of 'romantic lighting' seems to be three light bulbs on the wall, with dark shades so the room is so dimly lit it's almost as dark at the street outside, with its broken street lamps and deserted road.

I seem to have no filter while I'm in this impatient state that I can't help commenting, "Is light banned in this place, or are you trying to save on the electricity bill?" Sarcasm heavily laces my tone and I almost feel bad for the obviously underpaid waiter escorting me to a table in the back corner. A combination of confusion and fear coat his facial expression as he struggles to find words to respond. Luckily for him, a sympathetic coworker steps in.

"Our apologies sir, we can get you some candles for your table if that would help?"

My eyes roll again at this dismal offer to bring light to the room, but I feel bad for these people working at such an establishment that I simply mutter, "That'll do."

Finally as I'm approaching my table I can start to see the silhouette of my date, a tall, slim looking guy. I'm getting closer, following behind the fearful waiter, who's now armed with about 12 candles of varying sizes. He sets them down, hurriedly lighting them before I reach my seat, an ugly floral patterned thing. Barely glancing at the man opposite, I sit down and begin to peruse the menu, ignoring the stuttering service man as he recites a list of "specials", which based on the quality of the rest of this place, I can assure you are not remotely special.

As I was almost finished reading the menu (aka a list of herby pastas) a loud, deep voice interrupted any coherent thoughts I may have had. "Hello Mr BBY, my name is Park Chanyeol, but you can call me just Chanyeol if you want! I'm very pleased to meet you!"

I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of flustered now by the megaphone vocals assaulting my ears, not to mention filled with anger that he hasn't bothered to apologise for entering the restaurant (if it can be called such a thing) without me! "Well, Chanyeol, I'm Byun Baekhyun, a cold, irritated person who would like to be called Mr Byun by a stranger who doesn't even know basic etiquette." At this point I decide to grace the idiot on the other side of the table with an accusing glare, hoping to instil some guilt into his obviously stone heart. At first my eyes are burning from the intensity of all the bright flames in front of me, then I struggle to register the image of the person I had waited almost half an hour to meet.

Chanyeol has red hair which lies on a head several inches above mine, due to him being extortionately tall. His eyes are almost popping out of his head, and his ears remind me of Yoda. Clothing is casual, of course, jeans and a t-shirt with some band I've never heard of written across in a font that screams "we don't know what music is". Despite all these terribly outstanding features, the thing that attracts my vision the most is a huge grin that surely must be fake, probably begging for pity, and now it is slowly fading as my comment rings in his brain. I bet he wants me to feel bad and pay for the meal at this place of his choosing. The audacity of some people!

Now he's trying to talk again, if he can even manage to string any more syllables together. "I-I'm not sure what you mean..." Now he's trailing off, like he can't even be bothered with the pretence that he doesn't know exactly what I'm talking about.

"Oh, are you not sure? Well then, let me dumb it down for you. You. Left. Me. Outside. In. The. Dark. And. Cold."

Chanyeol looks shocked, as if he can't comprehend this idea. "I-I don't think I left you outside. You didn't come inside." Oh, is he gaining confidence now? The cheek of talking this way to an elder!

"Of course I didn't come inside! I waited outside for you! Because I wouldn't want to leave you on your own whilst enjoying warmth and comfort, if that's even possible in a place like this!" I can barely contain myself from storming out of here right now, but curiosity of hearing whatever excuses he might respond with prevents this from happening.

"You don't like it? You haven't even tried the food yet! Mr Byun, I think you're being a little judgemental. You don't know me and you have a negative opinion, you don't know this place and you have a negative opinion. You need to me more positive and open minded!" All of these words tumbled from his mouth almost too quickly to be audible, and it was kind of hypocritical of him to say when he looked as if he was on the verge of tears.

I just look at him, eyebrow arched, almost incredulous at his barely acceptable response. Hope is forming in his eyes as he waits for my response, but I diminish it quickly by picking up my menu once more.

"OKAY, I'M SORRY I UPSET YOU MR BYUN, I PROMISE TO BE MORE RESPECTFUL AND CATER TO YOUR WISHES FOR THE REST OF THE EVENING!" Chanyeol now stands with his back hunched, what is he doing? Wait, is he bowing to me? Oh my gosh, he's apologising respectfully. Does he actually mean it though? Or is he just saying that to get on my good side? Hold up. Cater to my every wish? I am so going to hold him to that! "Of course, there is one condition, Mr Byun." Chanyeol' straightening his back, now looming over me with his superior height, the flickering candles casting eery shadows on his face. I can't help but feel nervous, my heart rate is increasing, but I'm not going to show him that.

"For goodness' sake, call me Baekhyun." My eyes are rolling again, at his odd formality, despite it being my request. "Go on then, what's your condition?"

He's smiling now as he says, "Baekhyun." Is he stupid? He was literally about to say something and now he's just standing there, with his idiotic smile and his elfish ears.

"If you're not going to state your condition, I'm going to assume there isn't one." Maybe I'm being impatient, but I can't stand waiting for people to say things! Suspense tortures me!

"Oh, yeah." He's blushing now like some cute guy in a Kdrama who just confessed. Holy moley, did I just say cute? He's not cute, he's practically mythical, half giant, half pixie, or some other bizarre creature. "Please say that your wish is to leave this place!"

"WHAT?!" I can't help but scream in shock at his condition. "You chose this place and now you want to leave? What is that? Are you trying to waste my time?"

He's hesitating now, as if he knows I'm going to be hella angry no matter what he says. "Spit it out, Chanyeol. What's your deal?"

"Well, I thought that if I made the start of the date bad, then the rest of it would seem amazing in comparison, then you'd feel like you had a good time afterwards." Now, he's looking at his shoes, like a guilty child who stole a snack from the kitchen in between meals.

"Are you 5 years old? That's not how life works. I'm not a puppy who's going to forget the trip to the vets because I went to the park afterwards. I'm not some little kid who's going to forget they fell over because they ate some ice cream. I'm a grown man who is likely to despise you for the rest of the evening because of the way you have treated me for this "date" so far."

"Are you sure you're not a child? You whine like one." Chanyeol's smirking at me, as if he's won, but life isn't all a big game, kid!

"I don't whine, it's called self expression!" Although, I can't help hearing my voice become more high pitched as that sentence progresses.

Now he's sighing, as if he has a reason to be impatient with me. "Whatever, let's just get out of here. Where do you want to go?" Chanyeol asks, looking at me expectantly, whilst hurriedly pacing to the door, ignoring the the disappointed staff who have lost their only customers for the evening.

"Literally anywhere but here would be an improvement, we'll take your car and you can surprise me. I hate to say it, but a good surprise will definitely give me a higher opinion of you."

Finally we've left the building, and we're standing in the freezing November weather. Again. How is he not shivering in just a t-shirt? I'm wearing a full suit, and I'm soooo cold I'm probably going to get pneumonia or hypothermia or something. Is there even a difference between those? Never mind, why isn't Chanyeol responding to me? Once again, he's being rude, just looking down at the floor. "Chanyeol, do you want to continue this date or not? Because I have a feeling it would be no loss to me if I went home right now."

Panic fills his eyes as he stammers, "N-no, please don't g-go! It's just... Well, the thing is... There's a small problem." Now he's blushing, all embarrassed for some reason.

"Ugh, what is it?" I ask, rolling my eyes to emphasis how bored I am of his nonsense.

He pauses for a long time before he eventually managed to whisper the words, "I don't exactly have a car."

Is he serious? Who, at his age, does not possess a car? This is madness. "Well I'm hardly going to allow a stranger to drive my car, so I'll drive and you can give me directions." Then I walk towards my car and wait for him to follow.

"Wow, nice car!" He's staring in awe at my shiny, black car, as if he's never seen one before. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

"It's 8pm already, Chanyeol, I don't have all night!"

"It's that late already? We should go then!" He certainly is not making a case for himself, evidencing his lack of time management and his ignorance to what I've been telling him for the past 10 minutes. Now he's got his hand on the handle to the back seat of my car.

"I'm not a taxi driver, get in the front." I almost open the sore for him, but thankfully I stop myself before he starts thinking I care about him or some other ridiculous concept like that. At last, he's clambered into the car, seemingly with great effort due to the limited space for his stupidly long legs. "Just move the seat back." How does he not know these things? Idiot.

Blushing again, he replies (barely), "Ah, okay." He's sliding the seat back with far too much force, and now it's gone all the way back. "Wow, this is cool!" He's moving it forward again. Now back. Forward. Back. Forward. Back.

"Seriously?! Can we just go now? Or do you need more time to okay with the chair?" I swear if I roll my eyes any more they're going to fall out of my head.

Abruptly, he stops, looking like a child who's been told off. "Okay, let's go. Just go straight down this road until I say." For some reason, I'm actually going to follow directions from this imbecile. We're going in the opposite direction from where I live, and I'm already pretty far from my home, so fear is starting to consume me. For 5 minutes we drive in silence, just straight, further away from my neighbourhood. "Turn left here," Chanyeol says suddenly, making me jump.

"Left? But that's the dodgy part of town!" The terror I feel is clear to see on my face and in my voice, but I don't care anymore. I'm sure we'll get mugged or beaten up if we go there!

"Dodgy? This is the safest place I've ever called home! What have I said about forming negative opinions before you know something? Be more open minded!" Of course he lives in the sketchy area, no one in my province would have such terrible manners. For his sake, I quickly make the left turn, my tyres screeching. This street is narrow and dark and terrifying. "Please pull over here, I think we should walk the rest of the way."

"Do you think I'm stupid? As if I'm going to leave my car here and walk down alleys in the cold and dark."

"Baekhyun, you asked for a surprise, and I'm going to give you one. Please trust me!" His smile as blinding as he tries to bewitch me into putting any kind of faith in him. Somehow it works, and I pull over, as if this night's experience is completely gone from my mind and I don't abhor the man sitting beside me. Or at least find him extremely irritating.

"Fine, lets stroll to our deaths, shall we?" I'm out of the car. Already I feel vulnerable, and almost get back inside to drive away, and leave Chanyeol to whatever may be lying in wait for us. But his huge smile instils a small amount of confidence in me, as well as dazzles me slightly. When I recover from the shock I'm in from his blinding teeth, I realise I've taken his hand. Ew. But it's too warm to let go.

As we slowly saunter down the street, hand in hand, he begins to talk. "You know Baekhyun, I was really nervous about tonight. I thought you'd hate me, get sick of me, think I'm stupid and childish, and leave me. Was I right? Mostly. But you haven't left me. So I think that I can change the other things, as long as you stay by my side for tonight." This isn't the same as before, his voice was loud and excitable in an extremely annoying way. Now he speaks in smooth, dulcet tones that allow the words to flow into my ears and actually make sense for once. Suddenly I feel my jaw aching. Am I smiling? What on Earth?

"Allow me to correct you. I haven't left you, yet. So don't get ahead of yourself. This surprise better be good or I am as good as gone." 

Chanyeol is chuckling at that. "At least now I'm not worried. I know you'll love this!" Great, the loud excited guy is back.

"I wouldn't be so sure if I were you. It may have escaped your notice, but I am very hard to please." This is so weird, I'm insulting myself! That's unheard of up to now, because why would I insult something so beautiful? I'm so confused right now.

"I've never seen anyone displeased with this place!" Chanyeol is excited now, but he's stopping for some reason. Throwing his hand up extravagantly, he shouts with a cheesy grin, "Ta-da!" 

Then I realise that we've finally arrived at our destination, after a long walk with jokes and hand holding and smiles. Then I realise what our destination is and I can't help but being filled with disgust. "A street food truck?! Eewwww, are you being serious? I'm not eating greasy cheap stuff like this!"

"Baekhyun, remember what I've said about open mindedness. Try it, I promise you won't be disappointed."

"No."

"Please Baekhyun." I'm shaking my head. "Pleeeeaaaase! Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Plea-"

"Why are you pulling on my arm like a kid begging for a toy? Are you going to do this until I say yes? Because I ain't changing my mind." I flip my hair to emphasise my point.

"-se. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Pl-"

"Seriously?" My arms starting to hurt now. "Chanyeol, stop being a baby! Why don't we just go somewhere else? Perhaps a civilised place intended for human beings, rather than a truck full of saturated fat intended for the dregs of society?"

"-ease. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please.  Please. Please. Please. Ple-"

"For goodness' sake, fine, let's go get our serving of diabetes. Just promise you'll shut up!" Instantly his face lights up and he stops yanking down on my arm, instead lifting it up to kiss my hand.

"Thank you, Baekhyun, thank you! Let's go, let's go, let's go!"

I'm still slightly in shock from the kiss, even if it was small and just on my hand. Despite this I somehow manage to mutter, "You better be paying for this."

"We'll take two, please!" Chanyeol says excitedly to the man on the truck. Even with his loud voice, it's a struggle to hear over the hissing of oil and clattering of pans and utensils. Moments later, after much more oil sizzling, Chanyeol is handed two paper bags. He gives me one and smiles brightly. "Bon appetit!" He says in a clumsy, deafening voice that did not suit the delicate lilt of French it was trying to portray. 

I'm taking the bag, grease leaking through onto my recently manicured fingers. Hesitantly, I begin to open the bag, and am greeted with the image of what looks like battered shoe laces. "Not to sound ungrateful, Chanyeol, but what the heck is this?"

"It's fried squid! Have you really never had street food before? Come on, try it!" The look of pure excitement on his face, combined with the guilt I feel at him spending his obviously limited money on this "food" forces me to cautiously nibble at the end of the squid. Ugh, I can't believe I'm eating tentacles! Wait, wait just a minute! I think I need a proper bite, just so I can, erm, find the proper words to describe how disgusting it. Of course that's it. There's no way I'd like this filth! Just another mouthful, so I can have evidence of the grease. A little bit more, to get the texture of the squid, and that tiny bit, because I need to check that none of it is undercooked, anything else to complain about?

"Wow, you must be enjoying that! You've finished already! See, I told you, you should give things a chance, Baekhyun!" I don't think I've ever seen Chanyeol so happy, and that's something! Wait, what does he mean I've finished it all? There's none left? But I want more! Hold on a second, I actually liked this junk? Maybe Chanyeol was right!

"Umm, I guess it wasn't so bad. For street food. Thanks, I guess."

"You said thank you? You must have liked it! I told you you would, I definitely told you!"

"Are you going to keep saying 'I told you so', Chanyeol? Why are you such a little kid? I suppose you've got some other amazing thing for us to do next?" Did my eyes seriously roll again? I need to give them a break.

He stops to think for a minute, with an adorable expression on his face, all of his features screwed up in concentration. Adorable? No. Childish. "There's another food stall down the street, do you want to try something else?"

As much as I want to deny him, curiosity for more beautiful food overcomes me, "Sure, if you want."

He grabs my hand again, probably just because his is cold of course, but still I gasp at the sudden contact. While I'm still registering this, he's already dragged me along to the next food truck, and he's ordering again. As he hands me a second paper bag, he asks, "So you like singing?"

Isn't that a little random? Damn, I'm singing randomly again. And I can't stop. "Ya think ya real cool. Ya think ya real cool. Ne saenggagil ppun. Boy, ya ain't cool than me, nah." I can't help to flip my hair sassily whilst singing this badass song by Girls' Generation. My queens. Now the song's finished, and I'm only just fully conscious of the fact that it was playing in a nearby building.

"You're really good, you know. We can go there after you try this!" I lol around and see we're standing next  to a karaoke place.

"Yeah, that sounds like a lot of fun!" I can't prevent myself from exclaiming this, because, despite the fact that I'll be doing it with Chanyeol, I'll take any opportunity to sing.

He's chuckling again, his deep tones causing vibrations to pass through my body. I'm still connected to him by our hands clasped tightly. And I don't want to let go. Because maybe Chanyeol isn't so bad. And maybe I kinda like him. And maybe I'm just saying that because he's bought me waffles with ice cream. Quickly I devour it all, trying to simultaneously savour the delicious strawberry flavour whilst attempting to cram as much as possible into my mouth. Chanyeol's laughing at me again.

"Dude, seriously, quit laughing at me! I'm just eating, only a toddler would find that funny!"

Now it's his turn to roll his eyes at me as he says, "Fine," and starts eating his own ice cream. I'm sure there's a mischievous glint in my eye as revenge flashes through my mind. I knock his hand. Ice cream smudges across his nose and cheek. For the first time in a long time, I laugh. Genuinely. And I smile. Genuinely. I'm happy. Genuinely happy.

Chanyeol a shocked and he glares at me, before laughing too. "See, you wanted to be childish, at least once."

Maybe the ice cream is making my mind foggy, but I stand on my tip toes, touch my lips to his, and suddenly I know everything is going to be good. As long as I keep being childish with Chanyeol.