Chapter 3

Easy steps to move on

          I was feeling better when Dong Woo arrived. As soon as I opened the door, he pulled me in his embrace. I leaned my head against his chest. His hand patted my hair and I wrapped my arms around his waist. I had tried to avoid my best friend in the first place, but his presence was a real relief.

 

"Thank you." I murmured.

 

          He lifted my head up and gazed intently into my eyes.

 

"I shouldn't have left you alone."

"I'm the one who ran away, Oppa."

"From now on, I'll stick to you. And we have many things to do."

 

          I was surprised when he put an end to our hug and went to my bedroom. I closed the front door before following him. I leaned against the door frame, watching Dong Woo examine all the photographs. He frowned but remained silent. Until he found the note that had turned my world upside down.

 

"What is this ?"

"Read it."

 

          I walked to him in order to read the note again. I could feel my eyes watering at the sight of the well-known handwriting. The words didn't make any sense before my blurred vision.

 

"He's a jerk !"

"What should I do ?"

"Do you still love him ?" he asked.

"Of course.."

"What do you want to do ?"

"I want to forget about him." I replied.

"Let me help you then."

 

          I followed him to the kitchen where he searched for a trash bag. Once he found one, he went back to the bedroom. He took one of the photographs and gave it to me as he opened the bag. I looked at him questioningly but he responded with a smile. I glanced at the bag he was holding, then at the photograph. It was my favorite. 

          Jae Hyeong had taken this picture on our first date. I held on the frame tighter although I knew I had to let go. Dong Woo was patient and waited for me to make the right decision.

          I finally released the photograph, telling myself that I was able to move on. I would forget about my past love story. With Dong Woo's help, I could overcome this loss.

 

. . .

 

"Oppa, let's watch an horror movie !"

 

          Sun Hee attacked me with her cute faces. I recalled the last time I had watched an horror movie and a thrill ran down my spine. I checked the cinema's program again. Hopefully, I would find another interesting movie.

 

"Let me choose the movie, please." she pouted, "it'll be a reward for my efforts."

"There are other good movies."

"Eh.. I've thrown away every single thing that was linked to Jae Hyeong. I've gotten rid of every photograph and memory. I've tried my best to move on.."

"You've done great things Sun Hee. But an horror movie is.. you know I don't like it." I replied.

"Just hold my hand when you're scared."

 

          She took my hand while talking and held it tight. However, I wasn't convinced by her idea. She stared at me for a moment but when she realized that I wasn't changing my mind, she let go of my hand to cross her arms. Her cute face turned into a disappointed one. I tried to hold her hand again so as to reduce the tension. Yet, she refused my lame attempt.

 

"You're unbelievable." I said, "I'll accept because you're my lovely fiance."

 

          I liked the blush on her face, she looked incredibly cute.

 

"I'm not.."

"What a bad girl ! She doesn't even remember her proposal."

"Jang Dong Woo, lying is a sin.."

"It's not a lie. We're engaged."

 

          I brought her body closer and leaned down to her ear.

 

"Have you forgotten ?" I whispered, "I'm not drunk. I really want to be your wife, that's what you said."

"We were drunk Oppa.. how can I remember.."

"You were."

"What about you ?" she looked surprised.

"Honestly, I didn't even have a sip of alcohol that night."

"You're kidding, aren't you ?"

"Who knows." I chuckled, "let's go for the movie you've chosen."

 

          Sun Hee didn't reply for a few seconds. She was probably thinking about my revelation. We had not talked about our night since our focus had become her will to move on. All these days, she had assumed that we had drunk a lot. Which was the reason why we had shared a passionate night. Yet, things had been different. Sun Hee had drunk on her own when I had remained sober.

          The memories of our shared intimacy lingered in my mind.

 

. . .

 

"Oppa, aren't you afraid ?"

 

          I stared at the giant screen while eating popcorn. The movie had started long ago and some scenes were really scary. However, Dong Woo had not held my hand. He was suspiciously silent.

 

"Oppa ?"

 

          My gaze left the terrific scene and I glanced at my seat mate. A giggle left my mouth when I realized that he had fallen asleep. Dong Woo was sleeping instead of watching the movie. He had drifted off to dreamland while people were screaming.

          He was so cute. I had never stared at him like this. I couldn't help but play with his hair. I liked the shape of his face, his lips, his nose. My attention was drawn to my sleepy best friend. It seemed that everything around us disappeared. Dong Woo was so handsome.

 

          Later, when our session at the cinema was over, I brought Dong Woo to a nearby restaurant. We had just arrived when someone caught my attention. My heart skipped a beat at the sight of Jae Hyeong. He was alone at a table, a newspaper in his hands. He had not changed at all.

          Dong Woo moved his hand in the air, calling for attention.

 

"Sun Hee, is there something wrong ?"

 

          As an answer, I turned his face to Jae Hyeong's direction with a finger.

 

"Should we leave ?"

"No, I want to eat here."

"Are you sure ?"

 

          I grabbed Dong Woo's hand to lead him to a table. A waitress welcomed us warmly. We listened to her advises before giving out our orders. My gaze found Jae Hyeong again when she left. My heart had gone back to its usual pace. Dong Woo tried his best to prevent me from thinking about the one who was sitting close enough. He had no idea that I wasn't affected. On the contrary, I was relieved to see Jae Hyeong. It helped me realize that I had gotten over our past relationship.

 

"How was the movie ?" Dong Woo asked.

"It was interesting. But I've watched better ones."

"Make sure to choose well next time."

"You were so afraid that you tricked yourself into sleeping." I teased.

"I couldn't help it."

"Sun Hee !"

 

. . .

 

          Nervousness consumed me as I looked up to Jae Hyeong. He was standing next to our table, gazing upon the wonderful woman he had left, with a smile. Sun Hee was smiling too. I wondered how she felt. She had always been good at hiding her emotions.

 

"It's nice to see you again." he said.

"How have you been ?"

"I'm fine. What about you ?"

"I'm good too."

"Sun Hee, I'm sorry for what I've done. I know I shouldn't-"

"I've forgotten about it already." she giggled, "I mean, life goes on, right ?"

"You're right. Well, I have to go back to work. It was lovely to see you."

"Work well !"

 

          I shook my head as I watched her wave at the one who had hurt her. Her smile was natural though. I didn't feel like she was trying to hide any sadness.

          She was still smiling when our eyes met.

 

"What's wrong with you ?"

"What are you talking about ?"

"That was Jae Hyeong." I said.

"I know."

"He's your ex-boyfriend."

"Right."

"How are you feeling ?"

"Oppa, I've moved on. Jae Hyeong belongs to my past. I'm happy that we don't hate each other."

"Wow.. you're definitely one-of-a-kind."

"Am I ?"

 

          Her playful smile made me feel better. Now I could see in her eyes that she hadn't been lying. She had let go of her old feelings. Those past weeks, she had thought of her well-being instead of Jae Hyeong's one. She had taken care of herself.

          And she didn't know how beautiful she was. I was relieved to see this genuine smile on her face. Her happiness was very important to me. 

          She had been able to move on. She was finally happy again.