❝one❞

Paper Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Mingyu and Jeon Wonwoo, everyone who knew them, knew they were perhaps the best couple ever. Even Seungcheol and Jihoon, a well matched couple, were envious of their relationship. The pair wasn't a cliche couple who showed their affections in public or wore embarrassing couple shirts. No, there was a much simpler reason for why they were a perfect couple.

Neither Mingyu or Wonwoo kept secrets from each other: an honest couple who revealed the worst, no matter how hurtful the words were bound to be. Hence the reason why Soonyoung, Wonwoo's self proclaimed best friend (even though everyone knew Seungcheol was Wonwoo's best friend), jokingly announced to everyone that their ship name was no longer Minwon but instead Meanie. Of course Jihoon poked the name a couple of times with a few insults, but Seungcheol kept him in his lane to prevent any hurt feelings and arguments that was bound to become physical.

Putting this aside, the very reason why they were a great couple, was what was placing Mingyu in a dilemma at the moment. Although they were a strong couple, how would Wonwoo react to be cheated on? The best scenario, the tall male could come up with, was his boyfriend punching him in the face (but since Wonwoo was the passive aggressive type, it was probably Seungcheol who would punch him). It was better than losing Wonwoo completely, he would reason.

Mingyu bit his lower lip, the loud music wasn't helping to distract him from the sharp pains of guilt that was stabbing his stomach. For once he wondered why his short attention span wasn't taking its effect over him. Usually a bird would distract him and make him wonder off from his group, not that it happened once when he was on a field trip to the zoo.

Wonwoo was coming home tomorrow and there was no way Mingyu could hid this away from him. This was basically giving Mingyu less than 24 hours to come up with a way to tell him. The music came to an abrupt end, his mind flooded out all the noises as he peered down at his lock screen. Generally speaking, Mingyu may have not been cliche but he sure was a cheesy boyfriend, so of course his set lock screen was of a candid photograph of his adorable, timid boyfriend.

Usually, the photo was enough to make Mingyu grin dumbly, admiring the unique features of his timid boyfriend, but today the photo caused his feelings to lock themselves. He was honestly lost.

The truth was inevitable; "Wonwoo is going to leave me."

As the words left his mouth, he could feel the tears prickling out of his eyes. He covered his eyes with the palms of his hands and laughed in a dry manner. A three year relationship was going to be wasted just like that. Six years of friendship was going to become nothing. People say 'we can always be friends' — but it was never true, you just couldn't come back from being everything to each other, to just being a friend who you hang out with occasionally. Hanging onto a thin strand of hope, that was what Mingyu was degraded to doing at the moment.

It was pathetic.

He was pathetic.

Quietly, he clutched onto the eddy doll and laid on his side, staring at empty mason jar on the coffee table. His eyes tiredly tried keeping open as he focused on how the light refracted from the mason jar that was used for tips in the cafe he managed. The sparkly shimmers of light managed to briefly avert his thoughts away from his crisis. Mingyu buried his face in the eddy doll, he could image how Wonwoo's face would contour to disgust and pure hatred.

The truth was a frightening thing, but lies were worst. Mingyu's breathing began to become heavier as the single dark thought began to invade his mind. The image of Wonwoo's smile began to disappear, a small fragment of his smile was fading. The thought was becoming more reasonable as it continued to chant itself in his mind.

Wonwoo doesn't need to know.

It went against everything their relationship stood for. But he was willing to do it - it wasn't like he was lying or anything, it was more on the matters of hiding it.

Mingyu slapped his cheeks, hard. His motives were just underlying beneath his non-sense philosophy. Hiding the truth never did any good. Secrets are meant to be found out, twisted and used to destroy a person. No matter how long he hid it, no matter how he turned his back on his actions, no matter how tried to bury the past with the intentions of both selfishness and pure regret. Wonwoo didn't deserve a single bit of this; the shy boy with wore oversize sweaters, large round glasses and pretty much anything that belonged to Kim Mingyu.

Somehow Mingyu found himself browsing online for ways to tell your partner that you cheated on them. He opened up the first tab and began scrolling through its content.

Number one rule after cheating, if it was intentionally or unintentionally, don't ever blame it on the alcohol. No matter what role alcohol played, blaming it on the alcohol will make you sound un-guilty and that you aren't remorseful.

Mingyu nearly laughed. He did blame it on the alcohol. It had put him off his mindset and got him to make stupid decisions. You may be wondering if Mingyu was homoual, why did he pick to end up in the bed of a female? Well Kim Mingyu was not homoual, but he was biual (he always got annoyed that people assumed he was only either heteroual or homoual). Anyway this isn't really important at the moment. All that mattered was telling Wonwoo what had happened and salvaging any part of their relationship that might survive.

As burdening as he felt, he was bound to tell Wonwoo and accept whatever punishment that was coming his way.

•••✧•••

The next morning began like the previous, only this time he wasn't in a bed with a stranger that he didn't recognise. The numbing pain was still stiffening his back, straining the muscles. For once he hated getting up to go work when there was an empty house. Mingyu loved being around people, but he wanted to be alone — to wallow in his pre-break up pitiful self.

Despite this, Mingyu picked himself up and began getting ready for the day ahead. Seokmin and Minghao had already blown up his phone yesterday for missing work on a Saturday morning, one of the busiest days of the week for their cafe. It seemed like a great idea at the time — co-managing a cafe with his two best friends. Obviously he was out of his mind at the time and didn't realise he would be the one in charge of all the hard work.

He decided to walk to work that morning. Mingyu pulled on his large coat before heading out. Almost in a near instant, a puff of smoke escaped his lips as the cold wind hit his face. Goosebumps forming on his skin as he rubbed his hands together to create friction. Winter in Seoul was both magical and unbearable.

Each step he took was accompanied by the sound of snowing crunching under his shoes. His nose had turned red from the cold and it had began numbing his entire face. When he arrived at the cafe, he could already smell the freshly baked blueberry muffins that Seokmin had baked and the minty scented detergent Minghao liked to use when cleaning the tables. Respectively, the three managers all had individual responsibilities: Seokmin was the baker, Minghao was the waiter while Mingyu was the barista.

Since Minghao didn't believe in having a large team of workers, they only hired three people at a time; Boo Seungkwan (who was also a close friend of Mingyu's from high school), Park Siyeon and Kim Yewon. Mingyu would've liked to hire more workers but decided against picking another fight with his chinese best friend. Wonwoo had warned Mingyu over and over that one day their quarrels would escalate.

Mingyu opened the doors and was blown away by the warmth provided by the heater. Immediately, he was faced with a fuming Seokmin and Minghao. Mingyu didn't even blink, he was too caught up with his big problems to deal with this, he knew they would understand  after he tells them what he had done.

"Kim Mingyu! Did you know how many customers we lost when our main barista wasn't here yesterday? You know Seungkwan can't make a decent cup of coffee!" Seokmin exclaimed. There was a loud angry shout from Seungkwan in the background, retorting 'I make the best quality coffee', in his heavy accented English.

Noticing that Mingyu was neither faltering or apologising, Seokmin and Minghao's initial anger disappeared. They could sense something was wrong; the heavy eye bags underneath Mingyu's eyes and red eyes just supported their suspicion.

Taking a step closer, Minghao took off his black apron that was tied around his torso. "Hey Gyu, what's wrong?" He asked, voice dripping with concern. Mingyu shook his head briefly before burying his face in the palm of his hands.

"I ed up real bad and Wonwoo's going to hate me." He uttered, muffling the words slightly. The three of them ended up heading to the back room to console the tallest of the three, leaving Yewon in charge (since she was the most trusted and only one who made a decent cup of coffee). Mingyu sat down on the wooden stool and threw his head on the table so he didn't need to look at either of his best friends' faces when he told them what he had done.

Seokmin made everyone something to drink, causing the room to fill up with the bitter aroma of chocol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter