Chapter 1

Sub Rosa

“As the King of Etheria, I humbly welcome everyone in the capital of Geos…” the faint voice of King Hyunsoo could be heard from the small television at the corner of the bustling restaurant. Not many paid attention to the broadcast, save for a selected few seated near it.

The smell of freshly cooked food wafted out from the kitchen to the dining area, making a few hungry customers to rush the waiters and waitress. “Excuse me, is the food ready yet?” A man asked impatiently as one of the waitress passed his table.

“Your food will be right up, Sir,” the girl chirped, “until then, would like a cup of coffee?” She gave him a smile, and the man had to force his eyes to look away from the beauty in front of him, lest he be caught staring at her. “Y-Yes please.”

After pouring the man a cup, the girl had thanked him and gave him a small curtsy before leaving towards the kitchen.

“Oi! Where’s the food for table 4?” a change of her tone from before made the others sweat dropped. The constant smiling face from before had turned into a scowl by now, her brows furrowed. “Don’t you think that’s too much of a personality change there?”

She turned towards the voice to her right, and scowled even more as one of the waiter of the restaurant went up to her. “I don’t want to hear that from you, you bipolar freak,” she said as her foot tapped away on the tiled kitchen floor.

The man grinned in return, used to her blunt and straightforward personality. “Seol,” he called out. The said girl had to crane her neck to look up at her co-worker, and she mentally cursed his genes before focusing on the man again. “What, Mingyu?”

“A pretty girl like you shouldn’t always frown; smiling suits you better.” He patted her head and smirked before leaving to take his orders, leaving the girl fuming and blushing in embarrassment. The others in the kitchen had laughed at her reaction, used to the usual conversation of the two childhood friends. “Stupid Mingyu and his stupid cheap flirting…” she grumbled under her breath, “Hey! I’m still waiting for table 4’s order!” She snapped in annoyance as she saw that the kitchen staffs were still giggling from before. This caused a few of the newer workers to yelp in surprise before they went back in motion.

Seol sighed and leaned against the wall. She had been working for 6 hours straight since her morning shift. It was 3 in the afternoon now, and she had yet to eat her untouched lunch sitting quietly in the staff room. She glanced at the room for a split second before shaking her head, pushing down the urge to just storm in the room and stuff her face with food.

She looked towards the dining area from the small creak of the kitchen door, customers enjoying themselves and waiters walking around to tend to their needs. All of them had a perfect smile on their faces, practiced and fake to appease the rich and nobles to get that extra tip. The same smile she always used in the restaurant; the same smile she used towards the man from before.

In the corner, she saw a nicely dressed man in the finest silk and leather complaining that the food was not to his liking, the waitress bowing a couple of times before taking the food and heading towards her direction. Seol had to fight back the small fire in the pit of her stomach, her lips pulled into a thin line. Typical rich bastards, a plate of that is a godsend to those in the slums and he’s just throwing that away because he doesn’t like it.

The door burst open and the waitress from before had stormed in. Seol had to pull her head back fast or else she would get hit in the face. “Oh, sorry Seol,” the older girl –Jisoo– said apologetically, “didn’t see you there.”

“No problem,” she mumbled in return.

Jisoo shook her head as she brought the food towards the trash bin, “Too salty he says.” She said absentmindedly towards the chef. She opened the trash bin and just before she threw it away, Seol had rushed towards the girl and took the plate from her hands. The two stared at each other for a second.

“The food was barely touched,” Seol started slowly, “it’s better to not waste it, right?”

“I suppose so…” Jisoo replied, looking at the girl strangely. She shrugged her shoulders and went out of the kitchen, and Seol sighed before wrapping the food in a plastic container. “I’m sure the kids would like it…” she mumbled as she placed it in a corner on the shelf where no one would touch.

“Seol, table 4’s order is ready!” A voice called out to her and she rushed back. “Coming!”

She took the food and adjusted her slightly messy uniform, plastering a fake smile on before walking out of the kitchen.

 


“But, Lady Yuri! Can’t you let us go this one time?”

Seol heard a few of the female workers talking to the owner of the restaurant, and the unmistakable sigh from Lady Yuri, a noble who decided to open a restaurant to busy herself after her husband had passed away. She was a widow with no children, and Seol thought that it was a pity that Lady Yuri refused to remarry. She was still young at the tender age of 27, and was a beauty many men seek for.

“Please, Lady Yuri!” Mina, a petite girl who was younger than Seol, pleaded with both her hands together. “I really want to attend the party!”

Seol perked up. “Party?” she asked.

At her question, the small group turned their attention towards Seol. “Yes, the party!” Dasom, another girl among them chimed. “The King himself invited everyone in the capital to attend the crown prince’s coming-of-age party! We get to dress up in gowns and dresses and eat all the delicious food in the palace!”

“Not only that, but the reason why King Hyunsoo invited everyone to attend,” she started giggling a little, a blush forming on her cheeks, “is to pick potential brides for the crown prince!”

The 2 girls squealed at that, twirling around the staff room while fantasizing on the event. The other staffs in the room laughed at their antics while Lady Yuri remained quiet throughout their conversation.

“Well, when is it then?” Seol asked out of curiousity. “It’s tonight!” Mina chirped.

“So please, Lady Yuri! I know I have a night shift today but if you would please let me attend-” Lady Yuri cut her off then, “No.”

“You can attend it after your shift. The King has said that all businesses are to be closed for tonight, and you can go when the shop closes.” She said sternly, looking down on the young girl.

At this, Seol stepped in. “Uhm, I can take your shift, Mina.” She said towards her, smiling a little to ease the tension.

“Really?! Oh thank you thank you thank you Seol!” Mina jumped, Dasom in tow. “I’ll be sure to repay you!”

The two girls left in a storm almost immediately, leaving Seol and Lady Yuri alone. Seol looked towards Lady Yuri, laughing nervously. “That’s okay with you right, Lady Yuri? Mina really wanted to go and I need the extra money…”

Lady Yuri sighed and Seol could see her face softening a little. She patted her shoulder and gave her a soft smile, “You work too hard, Seol. One day you’ll keel over from exhaustion.”

“No worries, Lady Yuri. I’ll be sure to take care of myself.” She reassured her, and returned a smile as well, a genuine one. They stayed in that position for a while before Lady Yuri released her hold on the girl.

“Alright! Dinner hour is starting soon so everyone go back to your job. It’s only an hour shift today but I expect the best from everyone!” Lady Yuri said, her voice resonating around the small room.

“Yes Lady Yuri!”

 


A/N:

I hope it's okay. ><
Please leave a few comments below hehe, thank you!