The Celebration

License To Kill
The Celebration
The boat trip back to base had been much quieter than when you arrived. While you were reeling from the incident that had occurred the previous evening, your colleagues and friends however; were being dealt the harsh consequences of social drinking at the team dinner.

Though somewhere in your occupied mind you felt pity at seeing your friends look exhausted, you were thankful for the silence. You were also grateful for the fact that your superiors too, had decided to self-segregate. Being grilled in the hot seat was not your idea of a fun time.

Even so, something on your face must have prompted your comrades into action.

"So~..." Chaeryong trailed off suggestively as she returned from collecting a round of water bottles and painkillers. She knew better than anyone else that once you were back at base, there would be no time to recover from their hung over states. Seeing that you were not prepared to take her bait, she continued. "You and the Captain huh? Ken said you two weren't gonna pitch. Any reason?"

You noted the older woman's roguish smile but did not return one of your own. In the cold light of day, the events of the previous day seemed so surreal; as though you had dreamed it all. The laughing, the story exchanges, the almost kiss...it was as if that was another you entirely. Though you knew Chaeryong meant no harm in her jesting, it only served to confuse your feelings even more.

"I guess we lost track of time. He was telling me about something important." you shrugged, attempting not to give anything away though you actively avoided using Leo's name. "When Ken called," you reached for a bottle of water as if the pause came naturally rather than you trying to distract yourself from the memory of the two of you standing under a lamppost, "he said that everyone was already drunk. It would take too much to catch up so we decided to just do something else." you said, gulping down the liquid as soon as the last words left your mouth.

As your other companions came out of their hungover stupor to tiredly tease you about all the couple orientated things you may or may not have done the day before, you had no choice but to join in as well; calling their bluff. The last thing you needed was for them to realize that something actually did happen.

It was going to be a long journey.


In between the busy weeks you had since returning from the city, you had been mulling over your mission and your last meeting with Sooyoung. More than ever, you knew she was right. Not only could you not let the Director down but you had to complete this mission as soon as possible. 

There was no need to delay. Leo had given you the last bit of information you would need and now all you needed was a convenient time to disappear and find the files on Conception.


You must have had a guardian angel, as a few days later, the entire top management had been gathered for an announcement. The VIXX members relayed that N's birthday would be in a week and that a surprise party for the beloved General is what they had in mind.

While you had all been throwing ideas around and planning everything from drinks to decor, you were already beginning to plan the last phase of your mission. Though much mystery and extenuating circumstances surrounded this particular mission, you could not help but feel that familiar buzz of excitement at the mere idea of successfully completing your endeavor. 

Your thoughts were interrupted by a sudden weight on the seat next to you on the couch placed a good, strategic distance from the commotion of the party planning comity.

"You've been avoiding me." Leo's quiet voice sounded even more subdued that morning; his words a statement not a question.

You wanted with all your might to be outraged at his words but you could not find it within yourself. He was not wrong and once again you cursed his ability to figure you out without seemingly much effort. Avoiding him however; was a necessity. Betrayal was a word that constantly circled your consciousness whenever your thoughts drifted to your superior. You were not sure if you would be able to go through with your plan if you got any closer. Distance was the only logical answer.

"I've been busy that's all." you ventured for the simple answer, your eyes never leaving the discussion happening. Your attention however; was another story.

"That's not it." you noted Leo shaking his head in objection. "It's not like you. You don't stay for lunch or dinner and you don't talk as much." the dark haired man sighed and ran a hand through his hair, frustration clear in every movement of his body. When he spoke again, his voice dropped an octave, sending shivers down your spine at his proximity. "If it's about the other night...We can talk about it."

"It's not just about that...it's," you turned your head away from him, unable to even gaze at him from your peripheral vision. "it's more complicated than you can understand. I just can't."

"(F/n)." there was that tone of voice. The one that made you want to surrender totally, no matter the consequences. It was only when he clasped his larger hand in your own that you whipped your head around to stare into his conflicted brown eyes. Professionalism was something that came as easy to Leo as breathing but in that moment, you could feel the internal battle waging within him. 

"Talk to me." He said simply, not allowing you an opportunity to look away from his gaze. "We aren't strangers...not anymore. Whatever it is, I'll listen. I'm here." Leo's words were pleading. It vaguely occurred to you that you have never heard him sound that way. So...vulnerable. His words that were honey to your heart was in reality salt rubbing in the wounds of your mind. 

How you wished to confide in him. How you wished to put the bad blood aside. How you wished. How you wished. But it was not to be and the sooner you accepted that, the sooner you could move on.

You stood up and, instead of letting go of your wrist like he should have -like you wished he would- his hold only tightened.

"Please." you kept your voice as low and as steady as you could. You do not look back at him. "Let's not talk about this anymore. You won't understand."

Before he could object, you reclaimed your wrist with force and briskly walked away. You feel confused, stray pairs of eyes on you and though you were conscious of the fact that what had transpired was far from professional, you were more concerned with keeping yourself intact.

"Yah, (F/n) what do you think about supervising the preparations for...huh?" Ravi asked energetically but found his question dying on his lips when he saw you, with an unreadable expression, practically jogging out of the door.

The remaining occupants cannot help but steal glances at the man seated on the couch with balled fists and a clenched jaw.


The following seven days found yourself occupied by your workload, the planning of both the last phase of your mission and, the planning for the General's birthday party. The latter brought you a strange sense of joy. N was a kind and generous leader and giving something back to him felt like the right thing to do.

It was also a welcome distraction from the headaches of mentally mapping out your plan for that evening - writing anything down was out of the question. 

Your shared office had fallen into silence and was filled with an unknown tension neither party was willing to address. However, that did not mean Leo did not try. He would attempt to steer your work related conversation into more personal waters but you simply refused to have it go so far. It would always end the same. You excusing yourself to sort out work that you may or not have had to complete.


Every "no thank you" to lunch or "I have something to pick up for N's birthday" to him requesting a private meeting was pushing him away. You could feel it. 

But what else could you do? It was the only way. It was then that you heard a voice calling your name.

"(F/n)...is something wrong?" N asked, his handsome face filled with concern.

As per the plan, you were to pick up N at his office under the guise that you were the only one who had remembered his birthday and offered to take him out to dinner.

You gave a laugh that sounded strained to your ears. "No, no, not at all. How could something be wrong when I'm with the handsome birthday boy?" you teased,ignoring the pang in your chest, nudging the taller man much to his amusement.

After his laughter falls silent, his face turns serious. "I know you haven't been yourself lately. You seem unusually distracted. If something is wrong...please know I'm always available to talk." N replied and it was difficult to ignore how sincere his words were. The manner in which he said those words to you led you to believe he had his suspicions about what it was that was plaguing you.

"Thank you. It means a lot." you turned to give him a smile. A genuine one that you had not felt in weeks.

Walking in comfortable silence, you note your destination come up. 

"Oh! I forgot something in the break room." you suddenly piped up, a placing a hand on your forehead as if you truly had a lapse in memory.

"I'll come with you." just as you expected, N insisted on accompanying you.

Standing in front of the door, you stand a little bit behind your General.

"I'm sure the light is off and you know I have a bad sense of navigation as is..." you trailed off, putting on fake nervous laughter.

Finding your peculiar weakness endearing if the tender look on his face was anything to go buy, he gives you a wide grin.

"Allow me." he interjected with amusement and walked in, switching on the light.

A chorus of "HAPPY BIRTHDAY N!" rang out from the room, all the members of VIXX and the second-in-commands jumping out of random hiding places.

A gentle smile settled on your face when you noted the General's eyes sparkling in the candlelight of the candles on the cake Chaeryong and Ravi had cheerfully wheeled to the guest of honor.

"Happy birthday General." you congratulated softly.

"Thank you." he responded with a blinding smile that made him look far younger than his actual age.


The party itself was a lively event that saw everyone wearing silly party hats and even sillier smiles. Food and drink flowed freely, conversation and rowdy laughter not following too far behind.

You ended up in lively conversation with Ken, Hyuk and Seohyun, your replies coming forth without much effort. Only two things you were consciously aware of: Leo's eyes on you and your need to leave the party sometime soon. The former was impossible to ignore. Though he was on the opposite side of the room, in conversation with Ravi and N, his eyes never seemed to leave you. At one point, it seemed as though he wanted to join you but perhaps the look on your face stopped you. Somewhere in the back of your mind, you wondered if he was jealous of seeing you laughing with his team members. 

Either way, being under close surveillance, you would need to execute your exit plan in a timely and precise fashion. There was no time like the present as they said.

"Ugh." you groaned out in the middle of Ken regaling you with an hilarious story that happened during his junior training. For effect, you furrowed your eyebrows, and clutched your abdomen in obvious but not overly dramatic pain.

"(F/n)!" Seohyun exclaimed, while Ken grasped your arm to keep you steady.

"Are you alright?" a disgruntled Hyuk enquired.

Lifting yourself up gingerly from the waist up, you keep your arm cradled around your middle.

"Ha ha yeah..." you laughed weakly, "I don't think the alcohol agreed with me today." moving your gaze upwards, you find yourself making eye contact with a worried Leo, who was far closer than you remembered him being. Deep lines of concern were etched on his face and he seemed to be restraining himself with almost physical force to not come any closer.

"Let's sit you down. Hyuk, fetch her some solid food. Preferably with noodles or rice." Ken commanded, taking control of the situation. For the first time, you understood just how he came to find himself in such a high ranking position.

You give a small bow of your head, indicating your gratitude. 

Sitting in silence, you gave yourself time to run over your plan in your mind. Everything seemed to be running smoothly. So far.

Your senses were suddenly invaded by the smell of delicious food. Following the hand the held out a small bowl filled with rice, vegetables and meat, you find none other than Leo. You wordlessly accept the meal and begin picking at it.

Taking the seat opposite you, the two of you sit in silence surrounded by noise.

"It should absorb the alcohol present in your body." Leo said out of the blue a few minutes later as though he did not know what else to say.

You nod your head. "Thanks." you replied, your eyes trained on your bowl. "I think I'll head back to my dorm after this." something, anything to get rid of the awkward air that was beginning to make you feel claustrophobic.

"If you're not feeling better, I could help you back to your dorm." this is what you did not want even though you wanted nothing more than to accept.

"No thank you, I'm feeling much better." you answered. This time you did not want to push him away and you felt your lips tugging what you assumed was a placating gesture.

You bide your time until you felt was a sufficient time to appear healthier. You thank your superior for his help and do so for your other colleagues before bidding them good night.


Though you were alone in the abandoned hallways, you make sure to walk at a pace that would not be considered suspicion just in case someone managed to see you. You thanked your lucky stars that VIXX had given everyone the night off and you knew the girls would not waste an opportunity to go into the city for an evening of fun. 
 
Stalking down the various halls that all started to look the same after a time, you ensured that the only footsteps you heard was your own. 


The file room looked exactly how you thought it would. The door was made of a heavy metal with no window and a lock that looked complex until you started fiddling with it and realized that it was a model that was familiar to you and was disguised to look more complicated than it was in reality.

Once inside, you flicked on your flashlight to find shelves lined from ceiling to floor filled with files. Some were filed in alphabetical, others chronological and others, from important to trivial. 

You knew if Conception was something that was kept mum, it would not be left out in one of the shelves. Besides, Leo had given you the code to a safe, it would not hurt to check that first.

Carefully observing every shelf you passed by, you found a large desk near the back of the room which probably served for someone of high ranking status. Behind that desk, you notice an inconsistency in the wall. The dark, army green color seemed even darker in the middle of the wall. 

Making your way over to it and pressed a hand to it, finding an hydraulic sound coming from deep inside the concrete to reveal a large, silver safe.

Good. Within a few minutes you will know if you had achieved what you had been working towards for-

"What are you doing here?" a stern voice demanded.


A/N: Sorry for the cliffhanger but I didn't want to put too much information in one chapter like I did in Chapter 8. I'm quite happy with this chapter and the reason I've been away was me trying to figure out how to continue from last chapter. Noticeably there's a lot more angst but there's a lot more interaction as well. That being said, there's one chapter left and let me tell you that's going to be a roller coaster!  Also, I'm struggling with the ending. Please do give ideas on the ending you'd like to see, I feel the one I have might be anti-climatic. In other news, after this I will be starting my new story which is based of the new kickass song from VIXX. Look forward to it! (And how great is it they won?! I'm in tears!)Words: 2 739