The Interlude

License To Kill
The Interlude
You took another swig from your favorite brand of bottled water.

“(F/n)?” Hyejoo, 1st Lieutenant – you meant Ravi’s right hand excitedly waved a hand in front of your face seeking your attention.

“What is it?” you asked kindly, being in the position you were in, you learned to put up with the other girls’ over enthusiasm which you mostly could not comprehend.

“Don’t the guys look so good today?” Sunny, Ken’s protégé squealed in delight as she looked towards the court. Not only did she get her nickname from the Girl’s Generation member for her striking resemblance, you were certain it was also due to the fact that since coming here, you do not once remember the younger girl looking downcast.

“Sure.” You replied somewhat awkwardly, quickly seeking refuge in the bottle in your hand.

The Secret Special Forces VIXX were currently on the court playing three-a-side basketball. Leo, Ken and Hyuk were in one team and N, Ravi and Hongbin in the other. Currently N’s team was trailing by two points – no doubt it was due to Leo’s competitive streak.

“Oh come on (F/n)~” Hyejoo groaned out teasingly as she and Sunny pretty much shook you in your seat. It did not help that the other three girls also gave you jesting looks. “Leo is your boss and all you can say is ‘sure’?! Look at him: he’s handsome, tall and good at everything. Don’t tell Ravi I said that though.” She laughed nervously at the end of her comment; immediately directing her attention to her boss on the court and randomly shouting “Fighting!”

You listened to your friend spazz over your boss with what you were sure were reddening cheeks. You did not need her to list all those things as you were all too painfully aware of them. It did not help that at that point, Leo had turned to look at you. His long back-to-black hair stuck to his face, the tank top he wore only emphasised his broad shoulders and his smug expression only made you gulp. For a man who had a cold, he looked very good.

After chastising yourself for staring, you make up for it by laughing boisterously at your friend’s comment. “Of course I know how good looking he is! I’m worried if either of you talk about Leo anymore, I might have to report you to your own bosses.” And they thought they were the only ones who could tease.

“But we’ve been talking about them all-game long! Ah but doesn’t Ken look ah-may-zing with that blond hair?! I hope he never dyes it again.” Sunny swooned; clasping her hands together as she unashamedly stared at her boss. The constant cheering in the background only reaffirmed the sentiment.

It was at that moment that you truly realized just how close the other girls were to their male counterparts. Sure, you knew they teased each other and worked well together overall but only at that moment, did you realize how much depth your relationship lacked with Leo. On the other hand, you knew your situation was different, there was too much history for you to be simply ‘nervous’ or ‘excited’ about what you did. Though you were convinced that was what was actually going on, the line was becoming far too blurred for you to really distinguish in reality.


By the end of the match, your team – well Leo’s, had won much to the delight of the many STARLIGHTs in the crowd who seemed even more energized afterwards.

“Congratulations sir.” You wished formally as you suddenly could not think of how to address your boss. You handed him a towel and a bottle of water that he seemed grateful for. “You must be hungry.” You commented innocently. His eating habits were legendary on the base. It was not like he was known as “Hamzzi” for nothing.

He nodded his head with a grin that he probably owed to the satisfaction of winning. You find it hard not to grin back. “But I need to shower first.”

“Of course.” you cannot explain why you feel silly. “I think I’ll go back to the office to finish some work.”

“Tired of the girls already?” Leo asked with a smirk on his face; carefully towelling his hair as you walked with him.

Your suspicion that he had been watching you while he played was confirmed. Except that one time, you had no idea. He really was good at what he did. “How’d you know?” you go for the most neutral answer you could think of.

“Welcome to my world with the VIXX members.” Was all he said in greeting as he parted down the corridor meant for the ranking officers of the organization.

You had no doubt he heard your surprised yet tinkering laughter as you walked away.


You closed the file of reports that you had been working on when you feel your eyes become dry from the sheer amount of reading you had done. You leaned back in your chair and closed your eyes until you remembered that you were supposed to meet Leo in the dining hall for lunch.

Looking at the clock at ticked judgementally at you, you realized half an hour had passed. Knowing that your boss did not tolerate tardiness, you shut your laptop, grabbed your cell phone off the desk and briskly made your way to the dining hall.

The first thing you do before even venturing a look for your boss was visit the lunch ladies. Although there was a small queue, you were allowed to go first. Not only because you were higher in rank but your juniors seemed to take a liking to you. You ordered two servings of abalone porridge and explain one serving was meant for Leo. The elderly lady only gave you a knowing smile before heaping an extra spoon of food in the takeaway carton.

When you reach the large table where you usually lunch, you noticed that your boss was strangely absent.

“Hello.” You bowed in greeting with a smile. “Have any of you seen Leo?”

“We thought he was with you in the office?” N answered, his eyebrows furrowed.

“We all know he prefers your company to ours.” Hyuk murmured mischievously as he slurped his noodles. Seohyun, his protégé, though laughing, nudged him in the ribs for his comment.

“I see. Uh…thanks anyway.” You said before walking out of the buzzing eating area. You felt irked. It was not like Leo to only not pitch up to eat but it was also out of the ordinary for him to disappear without telling anyone else.

Considering the hot food you were carrying with you, you decided to check his quarters first.

You have only been into his room once or twice on urgent business and felt uncomfortable otherwise. You take a deep breath in before knocking. Once, twice…nothing. Something in your gut told you he was there and so, swallowing your pride, opened his door and walked in.

You do not go far before you see Leo on his bed dressed in training pants and an oversized sweater. It takes you another moment before you realized that he had passed out.

As if working on auto-pilot, you drop the package containing your lunch on the nearest table before making your way over to the unconscious man.

“Captain Jung! Captain Jung wake up!” you hollered as you looked him over. As you reached over to tap his cheek you find his flesh burning to the touch. His cold must have acted up again.

Rushing to the en suite bathroom, you fill a bowl with water and grab his face cloth before going back out and dabbing the cool, damp cloth all over his face and neck.

Your heart raced and your hands shook as you looked for your cell phone in your jacket pocket. You made two calls – one to the infirmary doctor who was already rushing over the minute you mentioned who it was and one to the first VIXX member in your contact list – Ken.

You do not know how long you spent wringing out the cloth in cool water and dabbing the sweat off of his face before you feel the doctor calmly remove you from Leo’s side.

“What happened?” Ken asked all traces of his usually bubbly personality absent; the rest of VIXX naturally in tow.

“I don’t know. I knocked and knocked but he didn’t answer. I walked in just to make sure he wasn’t here when I saw him passed out. He had a fever so I tried to cool him down. I knew he had a cold, I should’ve insisted that he not participate in today’s game.” You replied though your attention never left the doctor. It seemed as though Dr Wang roused his patient with smelling salts before taking his vitals.

“Don’t blame yourself. You know how competitive he is – he would’ve taken part even if he had a cast on his leg.” Hongbin piped up, placing a comforting hand on your shoulder.

“Miss (L/n) is correct.” Dr Wang adjusted his glasses as he furiously took down notes, “Captain Jung’s condition has been aggravated due to his participation in this morning’s basketball match. I’ve written out instructions on his anti-biotics. He needs to have constant supervision. Unfortunately I’m swamped in the infirmary so one of you will need to do it.”

“I will.” You volunteered before you could realize what you were saying.

“(F/n) you have your own work to do, we will take care of it.” N objected kindly yet with the firmness of the General he was.

You shook your head, insistent. “I’ll have no work since Leo’s out of commission anyway. I’ll take care of it.” You felt as though you needed to see him get better yourself.

“Listen to her.” Leo’s uncharacteristically weak voice sounded from behind the doctor.

That was all it took for the two of you to be alone. 


A/N: I don't think I should even bother putting whether or not I'm going to finish this soon lol. I honestly didn't mean for this chapter to be a cliff hanger or being what it was about but I saw this gif of Leo and I was gone and I ended up running away with about 1 664 words. I was compelled to put a chapter out! @Ottoke: hehe I have to say I'm excited for whatever I put out too...you never know with writing! Also, I just don't get why, out of the all the stories I've written, this one just refuses to put my two main characters in a scene together! But I hope you like it!<3