Trouble

My Lovely Lee Byunghun

You couldn’t remember the last time you got in trouble. Because you never got in trouble. Ever. This was the biggest stain on your reputation, and you felt sorry for letting the teachers down and annoyed with yourself for ruining what could have been a clean academic slate.

“Boys like you are the reason our school loses every year in becoming the number 1 school in the province!” shouted the principal with emotion. “You don’t know how many times I applied…”

The eight boys, bruised, and exhausted, looked at the principal in confusion.

“And Minju dear, I know you couldn’t have possibly been involved with the TROUBLE-MAKING TRASH OF OUR SCHOOL; I just brought you along to have you explain the incident which occurred, because I know if anyone would tell the truth, it would be you.”

You shifted uncomfortably in your chair, unsure how to tell the principal that you were indeed involved in the fight.

“Well, Minju?” the principal asked. “Would you care to give me a brief insight? Nothing elaborate, I’m sure you were greatly disturbed by the scene.”

“Um,” you began nervously. “I was involved.”

The principal gave you an amused smile. “Now, now, don’t be so hard on yourself. Accidently walking in on the crime scene does not make you a criminal.”

“I fought too,” you murmured reluctantly.

“Yeah,” said another guy. “She elbowed me in the ribs pretty damn hard.”

The other guys started to nod and agree with one another, briefly describing how you hurt them.

“SHUT UP!” cried the principal. “I’m going to get a headache.” He plopped himself down into his chair and massaged his temples.

“Perhaps you were involved Minju,” he said, “I don’t know what could have possibly come over such a dedicated student, but these boys are definitely the cause – bad influences – all of them! I would like to exempt you from the punishment, but seeing that you claim to be involved, I must sentence you to the same labour as much as it breaks my heart. You all are to stay after school for some character-building cleaning tomorrow (we have a teacher's meeting today) NOW GET OUT OF HERE!”

Everyone filed out of the room, and you quickly walked ahead, ashamed of even being seen coming out of the same room with these guys.

You tensed up when you heard footsteps jogging up behind you; you were surprised when Byunghun appeared beside you.

“Hey,” he said, “where’d you learn to fight like that?“

“Don’t – talk to me.” You muttered before running away, hiding your face. You felt so ashamed and did not want to be reminded that you were involved with the school's troublemakers.

“It’s not like I wanted to talk to you either!” you heard Byunghun call out after you. “Psh… snob.”

--

Danhi smiled dreamily as you guys made your way back to your lockers after school. “He stood up for me… he fought for me…” Danhi clasped her hands and sighed. “I don't think I'll mind getting another love letter,” she said mischievously before noticing your drained and zoned-outl expression.

“Minju… are you okay?” Danhi asked, waving a hand in front of your face.

“Huh?" you mumbled. "Oh, yeah. Just… I… principal’s office…”

Danhi understood immediately.

“It’ll be fine, Minju-ah…” said Danhi, patting you on the back, “just study extra hard, do even better on the exam and amaze your teachers. In a few weeks this incident will be forgotten and you’ll have your reputation back.”

You nodded determinedly.  “I gotta work harder. After school I’ll study with no interruptions and then go to judo, and then –“

Last night’s confession reeled into your head and your spirits fell again.

Great.

You’d have to face the results of another humiliation.

“By the by,” Danhi said as she plucked a textbook out of her locker and put it into her bag. “Did you get the chance to confess to Kevin yesterday?”

Your exaggerated frown answered the question for her.

“YOU STILL HAVEN’T DONE IT?!”

“I have!” you cried.

“Then what’s wrong? What did he say?”

You started filling your bag with textbook after textbook. “Hedoesn’tthinkofmeasagirl,” you mumbled.

“What was that?” Danhi asked with her brows furrowed. “I can’t hear you when you’re mumbling.”

“He doesn’t think of me as a girl!” you repeated.

There was silence.

“What?” Danhi sounded infuriated. “He doesn’t think of you as a girl? What is he, gay?! Oh, I am gonna -” she rolled up her sleeves.

“It’s okay,” you assured her. “We’re still friends though.”

“Friends my …” Danhi sighed loudly and took up her bag. “Whatever. Screw him. There are way better guys out there. What do you think of the new boy, Byunghun?”

“What? The biker idiot?”

“I’m just kidding!” Danhi laughed. “I just can’t help thinking about that fight. Wow… Jimbo. He can be manly too, huh?” 

You guys exchanged amused glances before bursting out into laughter.

--

Judo was nothing but awkward. Kevin, for good or for worse,  was paying extra attention to you during that judo lesson.  

“And you raise your elbow, hand to your ears…”

He was describing how to do the new defence move Sensei taught the class and did so by holding onto your wrists and guiding them in the air.

This is totally unnecessary… you thought a little uncomfortably. You already knew this move and it was much easier to practice by yourself.

The entire class was either taking a breather or practicing with a partner, and Kevin had not left your side since the beginning of class. When it was over, he gathered his things and came out of the boy’s change room with a towel around his neck. You pretended to be looking at your watch but could see from the corner of your eyes that he was grinning. Was he playing with you?

“Minju. You don’t actually like me do you?” he asked. “I’ve been thinking about what you said yesterday and-“

“What?” you cried suddenly, forcing a laugh. “No! Not like that - never!” You waved your hands in exaggeration. “I didn’t mean it like that…”

He looked a little unsure, grin fading. “Okay…” He laughed. “Cool. Just checking.” He got his bag and together you two walked home like any other day and parted ways at the intersection at the fork in the road with the pretty street lamp.

You sighed, crest-fallen. But at least the matter was resolved now. Things could go back to normal. He knew you didn’t like him that way, so now you could go on being friends, right?

You hoped that was true.