Confession

My Lovely Lee Byunghun

“You’ve been staring a hole in my head for the past ten minutes…”

“Huh?” You blinked, and immediately, your cheeks began to heat up. “I – “

“Do you have something to say?” Kevin asked.

Yes... You did. But how convenient was this moment, because your throat was stuck and your mind was racing.

Kevin stopped you by grabbing your shoulders, and you noticed it was right under the streetlamp at the intersection where you two usually part ways to go home. It was the place you two said bye to each other every day on your way back from Judo, and it was also where you wanted to confess to him.

You’ve been planning this day for a year and it was finally time. But why wouldn’t the words come out?!

He looked into your eyes and smiled at you – the way he always did – and in the way that made you fall for him in the first place.

“You’re making me curious,” he said, eyes dancing – and you really wished he would just stop with the sweet looks because it was making your job harder than it should have been.

You gathered up your courage, looked him straight in the eye, and –

“I like you,” you spluttered, heart taking a toll at the very words that escaped your lips.

His reaction was difficult to read because he looked almost frozen, eyes widening a bit, before he suddenly burst into laughter.

He looked back at you, eyes watering a bit. “Gosh, I thought you had something serious to say.”

You stared at him in bewilderment.

“You seriously almost got me,” he says, punching your shoulder lightly. “You know it’s funny you bring this up because the guys keep spreading around that we’re dating.” He looks at you with a grin. “Isn’t that hilarious? Like I’d actually date you – I mean, no offense, but you’re really manly and you beat up like every guy in our class. Sometimes I even forget you’re a girl... I guess we’re that close, huh.” He put an arm around your shoulders, nudging you playfully.”

You felt your eyes sting and you wanted to cry, but you just kept your face straight. “Mm.”

He sighed out visible puffs of air. “I do actually want to start dating someday. I want someone like… gorgeous and innocent, and sweet. You know like how they say – sweet and fresh in the morning and y at night?” He chuckled. “That kind.” He looked at you for feed-back and you offered the best smile you could manage even though it was painful to produce.

Once you guys said goodbye, you went your separate ways, creating distance from the streetlamp that you had put so much hope in. Tears welled up in your eyes and you bit your lip to keep them from flowing.

What on earth were you expecting? For him to just kiss you and then for you guys to ride off into the sunset? How stupid were you to think he’d actually think of you of more than just friends?

You weren’t like those ‘fragile’ girls with long pretty hair, short skirts, and beautifully made-up faces. You barely owned any cosmetics besides Vaseline – and was that even a cosmetic?

You were the only daughter of your father, a former General in the South Korean army, and he always taught you that, besides values and morals, studying and training were the most important things.

Study for a better future, and train to defend yourself against it. Discipline and honour. That was what you grew up by.

So of course guys wouldn’t want to date you. Because who’d be stupid enough to have a girlfriend that’s stronger than them? They’d be too scared you’d kick their .

You trudged up the steps to your house.

“Idiot,” you muttered, and those words were more spoken to yourself. You wiped your eyes before opening the front door.

What greeted you took you by surprise.

“WELCOME BACK!” came a chorus of happy voices. A stream of confetti burst into the air, and surprised as you were, you wondered what the occasion was.

“We have new neighbours!” said your dad, dressed in his manly black apron which he always wore when he was cooking or doing house work. To think he came from being the general of the Korean army to this. “Remember Mr. and Mrs. Lee? They used to visit us all the time from Seoul before they went overseas. Now they’re back and are living here in Busan and only a block away from us! Isn’t this great?!”

Mr. and Mrs. Lee were a jolly couple and looked so happy to see you.

“Minju! I remember when you were this small and you would come back from school with medals and certificates, winning all the awards the school had to offer.  You were such a little genius, I can only see now that you have grown up splendidly. Don’t you think so, dear?”

The husband was a man with stern facial features, but when he smiled, his face warmed and you could see that he was actuality a soft-hearted man with sincerity in his words. “I’m so glad we’re reunited, Minju. Your father and I have been friends since the soldier days, and to see you grown up like this, makes me proud.” He chuckled good-naturedly and patted you on the shoulder.

Without any effort, a big smile appeared on your face. You only had vague memories of them, but seeing how much they cared for you made you care for them as well.

“Come, let’s eat. We’ve been waiting for you so we could start dinner,” your father said and began sliding out chairs. “I made my specialty: fried chicken and curry with hot rice,” he said with a proud smile.

The couple went to go sit down and your dad gestured to you to go get changed and then come back down.

Feeling better, you did so with a nod. At least this surprise visit would take your mind off of Kevin for a while, because quite honestly, you didn’t want to think about it. It just made you feel all horrible inside.

“I’m sorry we couldn’t bring our son, he’s a bit exhausted after the move. Jet lag,” came Mrs. Lee’s faint voice as you changed your clothes upstairs.

"Yes, that little rascal fell right asleep..." Mr. Lee chuckled stifly, shaking his head.

“Oh no worries!” cried your father. “That’s good that he’s resting. Jet lag is just awful, I understand. Not to mention, there’s plenty of time for all of us to get together now that we’re neighbours.”

The entirety of the adult population downstairs burst into hearty laughter and when you arrived downstairs in home clothes, you and everyone else helped themselves to the delicious feast your dad had prepared.