Wedding Day

Nightfall

"Why did you arrest her?" Ji Hong asked as soon as he entered the room. He glanced over at the double sided window, where the interrogation room is seen. "It was just a punch." 

Sung Im narrowed her eyes at him. "A physical assault to a detective, a clear law that she broke." She tapped her fingers into the desk. "She's going have to spend the next two days behind the bars." 

Ji Hong sighed deeply. "Sung Im, she was just mad about us making an arrest on her boyfriend. The only person she can rely on in that reek of a place. Of course, she would be mad. Not to mention that I lied to her and manipulated her trust." 

"You make it sound as if you feel awful about it." Sung Im noted while knitting her eyebrows together. "You were doing your job. It's not your first undercover job, why are you so shaken up by this?" 

"I don't know." Ji Hong said honestly. He looked at his fiancee while clearing his throat. "Let me interrogate her." 

Sung Im scoffed. "Interrogate? There's no need. It's a clear case, I told you." 

Ji Hong shook his head. "Look, just let me talk to her." 

"Fine but I'll be watching." 

He walked out of the room and turned to the door of the interrogation room. Ji Hong halted his steps when he felt eyes on him. "What?" 

Young Gook walked over, handing him Hye Jung's case file. "We didn't want to arrest her but we had to follow the book." 

"I understand." Ji Hong said. 

Seo Woo handed him a bottle of water. "It's for her. She's been in there for hours, refusing to eat or drink anything. I'm a bit worried for her." 

"Thanks." He took the bottle of water. Just as he was about to walk in, he turned back to them. "How was Sung Im while I was gone?" 

Kang Soo opened his mouth to speak but Young Gook quickly covered his mouth. "She was fine. Crazy and bossy but you know her as much as we do." 

"Alright." Ji Hong opened the door and sighed as Hye Jung glared up at him. "Hi." 

Hye Jung rolled her eyes as she adverted her attention over to the wall. "You must have a lot of nerves. Walking in here as if nothing happened." 

"I never said that." Ji Hong sat down across from her, quietly placing the bottle of water near Hye Jung. "I understand that you're mad." 

"Mad isn't exactly the word I'll use." Hye Jung corrected him. 

Ji Hong sighed. "I didn't want to do this. I tried my best to find evidence that wasn't relating towards you or Jun Ki. I fought my way to keep you guys involved." He glanced at the cameras at the corners of the room. "I've only known you for a week but in those seven days, I've learned that you and Jun Ki aren't bad people. I sincerely believed so but," he hesitated to speak further. "The evidence directed to Lee Jun Ki was hard to ignore." 

"Evidence?" Hye Jung repeated. "You call three or four mere recordings evidence?! We never stated that Jun Ki was the culprit behind my mom's death or those death in the last two years!"

Ji Hong blinked his eyes for a few seconds. "We never said anything about the murders in the last two years." 

Hye Jung paused, her breathing becoming very heavy. "Someone told me in the room earlier." 

"No one walked in this room in the last three hours," Ji Hong said. "Who could've told you about the murders?" 

"Lee Jun Ki isn't behind the murders." Hye Jung said. 

Ji Hong arched an eyebrow. "Who is behind them? If you can name me one person, my team and I will work harder to let go of Jun Ki." Suddenly, the window behind him started knocking vigorously, indicating Sung Im has something to tell him. "Hye Jung, listen to my words very carefully. The evidence against Jun Ki is strong, incredibly strong. The recordings and the fact that he is refusing to talk, we can't do anything but make the case and send it off for the court to handle the rest. Despite knowing you both for a week, I understand how you guys are. You would stay shut no matter how much it takes. You won't betray or back stab the Fallen like that. If he is taking the fault for Fallen, tell me who it is." The knocking became even more rushed and harsher by the minute. "Hye Jung, do you understand me?"

Hye Jung scoffed. "You had me there for a second, making me believe that you want to help us? Have you forgotten that it's your recordings that makes the case so strong? Have you forgotten that it's your words, a police detective against ours, a bunch of low lives?" She narrowed her eyes at him. "Don't joke around. Even if it is Jun Ki, I wouldn't say anything. Try making a case against him, Fallen won't let you go." She leaned closer to Ji Hong. "An undercover cop within our Fallen members? What do you think Leader Sung Jong will do?" 

"I want to believe that he isn't a murderer but it's hard for me to look away if you're not going to help. The recordings are as clear as day." Ji Hong pressed on. 

The door suddenly opened and Sung Im stood there, eyes filled with anger and her hand practically gripping onto the doorknob. "Detective Hong, I need to speak with you outside right now!" 

Ji Hong turned and looked at her. "In a minute." 

"NOW!" Sung Im screamed. 

He immediately stood up, the chair scraping against the hardwood floor. As soon as he left the room, closing the door behind him - he sighed. "What is it?"

"What do you think you're doing?!" 

"Talking." 

"That was talking? You were practically telling her to give us information so we can let go of Lee Jun Ki!" Sung Im knit her eyebrows together as she ran a hand through her hair. "I just don't get it. Why are you acting like this?! The evidence clearly makes Jun Ki guilty!!!" 

Ji Hong sighed deeply. "Maybe I was wrong to go forth with the case with the evidence. I was too abrupt and - "

"And what?" Sung Im rubbed her temples as she took a deep breath. "You can't possibly tell me that you actually want to help those people out?"

"Those people?" Ji Hong looked at Sung Im in disappointment. "We're all human beings, Chun Sung Im. You're judging people off on what they do for a living and not by who they are as a person. If you knew them like I do, maybe you can - "

"Understand them? No, I don't want any of that." Sung Im interrupted him. "At the end of the day, we hold badges and they have blood on their hands. Murder or not, those people still do as much bad stuff as any. We have the Fallen members on drug distributing and that underground casino, their whole gang is going to falter down within the end of the week. Even if you try to save these two, they won't have a home to sleep in."

"What are you talking about?" Ji Hong asked with confusion. "You told the other teams about the drugs and underground casino?!" 

"Of course I did. Those two cases aren't in our area, I had to give those cases to the right teams. If I can guess right now, they're already dragging every single Fallen members into the police station." 

Ji Hong's eyes widened. "WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS?!"

"Who cares? They're probably kids from those reckless low lives! It'll be good for them to be sent to an orphanage, let them know what kind of life those kids were living and maybe they'll grow up not a mess."

"DO YOU HEAR YOURSELF?!" Ji Hong screamed.

Seo Woo immediately rushed over. "Maybe we should lower our voices down."

"Where's the kids?"

"Downstairs?" Kang Soo answered.

Ji Hong opened the door, his eyes filled with apology and regret. "Hye Jung, the kids..."

"What about the kids?" Hye Jung turned to face him but immediately stood up from her seat once she saw his expression. "Where are they?!"

Ji Hong grabbed onto Hye Jung's wrist and started pulling her toward the elevator. "What do you think you're doing?!" Sung Im screamed as she tried to grab him. 

"We're going to talk later." Ji Hong told her before he rushed out with his hand wrapped around Hye Jung's wrist. 

. . . 

"Noona!!" one of the young boys cried once he saw her. "They're making us stay in an orphanage!!"

Hye Jung stared at the people in suits with anger in her eyes. "Orphanage? Why would they be there when they have a perfectly good home?!"

"Full of gangsters?" A woman handed Hye Jung a name card. "We're under social services and came here immediately once we were informed that five kids were living in a bad situation."

"Bad situation?" Hye Jung held onto the kids, her eyes widened. "I'm coming back in two days, they are just fine under my care. There is no need to - "

The woman shook her head. "I am sorry to say this but you are in no position to take care of them. You're not their parents or even slightest related to these kids. Considering that your home is currently on police lockdown with a handful of those.....people in jail? These kids are better off with us."

"In a damn orphanage." Hye Jung turned to look at Ji Hong. "What are they talking about? What do they mean my home is on police lockdown? What did you do?!"

Ji Hong glanced between the kids and Hye Jung restlessly as he couldn't figure out what to exactly say. "Is there any way that these kids can temporarily stay there? Yoo Hye Jung has taken care of them for years, it'll just be cruel for us to take them away."

"Detective Hong, you and I both know that our jobs are different. This is what my job does, I am sorry." The woman didn't say anything further. She picked up two of the kids in her arms while the other woman took the rest of the kids. "I hope you don't try to interfere with our jobs anymore."

Hye Jung gripped onto the kid's hands. "I'm going to come back for you, I promise." Tears slid down her face as she watched the kids go further and further away. With her hand clenched onto her heart, she didn't know what to do. "What happened to Fallen?"

"My Lieutanant....." Ji Hong sighed deeply. "She went ahead and gave the case to other teams, the ones in charged of drugs." 

"Meaning?" 

Ji Hong stared at her. "Meaning the Fallen members are more than likely in jail right now and that bar? Officially closed down due to illegal activities."

Hye Jung blinked several times. It's not like she was disappointed or angry at the fact that the bar is gone, her home is gone. One of her biggest hopes and wishes is to leave that hell of a place. But for it to happen so soon without her even being prepared with money or what not, she doesn't know how to feel. "Do you know what you have done?" 

"Arrested those people, the Fallen members that you don't even like." Ji Hong tried to reason again. "I mean, it's a good thing right? You can leave now."

"Without Jun Ki?" Hye Jung questioned while glaring at him. "What makes you think I will leave this place without Jun Ki."

Ji Hong ran a hand thorough his hair out of frustration. "Look, Fallen is already in jail. You can finally confess everything without worrying over the consequences. Tell me who is really behind the murders." He stepped closer to Hye Jung, his face leaning towards her. "If Jun Ki did kill people by order, his sentence will be reduced. I'm talking 10-15 years out of his prison time." He could see the bright glint in her eyes as she takes in the suggestion. "You're not bounded by the Fallen members anymore. Definitely not by Lee Sung Jong or Lee Ki Woo anymore. I know how the process works. An order is said and Jun Ki has to follow it if he wants to live. The typical manner in all sort of gangs. If there is evidence on Jun Ki being forced to kill people because his life is in danger, he won't be held guilty 100%."

"How much?" 

"What?" Ji Hong asked. 

"With the 10-15 years off his prison time, how much time would he have to spend behind bars?" Hye Jung asked softly. 

"Five years at most." Ji Hong said, he was speaking on the memory of an old case that is similar to this one. "If only you can cooperate with us, Hye Jung." 

She looked at his eyes, trying to find some truth in it. "How am I supposed to trust you again?" 

"I - " the sudden sounds of footsteps caused him to stop talking, turning around to see Captain Kim Tae Ho standing by the doorway. "Sir." 

Captain Kim Tae Ho glanced between Hye Jung and Ji Hong. "Detective Hong, a word?" 

Ji Hong looked at his boss and a good friend of his. "What about her?" 

"Why don't you let Detective Jin take care of her?" Captain Kim stepped aside so Seo Woo can walk into the room. As soon as the women left the room, he stared at Ji Hong. "I have a thousand thoughts going on in my head right now, Ji Hong. Do you understand how severe it is? What you just did? Pulling a suspect out of the interrogation room like that?"

"Suspect?" Ji Hong sighed. "Yoo Hye Jung isn't a suspect behind the murders." 

"No," Captain Kim agreed. "But she is the girlfriend of our prime and only suspect." He crossed his arms and sighed deeply. "I heard from Lieutanant Chun that there are some issues on going forth with the case. Hong Ji Hong, please tell me that you aren't getting too emotionally attached to this case." 

Ji Hong looked at Tae Ho. "I don't know what you mean."

"I mean, the last time you got this emotionally attached to a case was the one that had dirty cops involved. You hated that those cops were taking advantage of their badges and did things, inappropriate things to people. A fellow officer almost died because of you."

"He was a dirty cop, we both know that." Ji Hong corrected him. "The things he made women do...." He narrowed his eyes at his friend. "You can't possibly be siding with him?" 

Kim Tae Ho sighed. "Of course not. What I am trying to say that those weeks that you spent on arresting those cops, it tortured you emotionally and physically. Hell, your brother was going insane because he was worried for you." 

"Yoon Do has nothing to do with this case right now. What's important is that I think I was too impulsive. Maybe Jun Ki isn't at fault here." 

Tae Ho arched an eyebrow. "Are you saying he isn't the culprit of the murders?" 

"No." Ji Hong simply replied. "He was probably forced into it. If he didn't, he would die." 

"Do you have evidence?" 

"No." 

Tae Ho closed his eyes for a few seconds. "I know that you're trying to lessen his sentence but do you really think that it's for the best? At the end, he is a killer." 

"But he's a good person." Ji Hong said. "His biggest wish was to leave Fallen behind and runaway with Yoo Hye Jung. To live a simple, quiet and non-violent life. Someone like that just can't murder people and even if he did, there has to be a reason behind it." 

"There it is," Tae Ho pointed out. "The emotionally attached crazed side of you. Look at this case on a detective's mind point, not as Hong Ji Hong. If you were to open the case file and stared at the evidence given - what's your conclusion?" 

"Sir..."

"Ji Hong," Tae Ho interrupted. "As a detective, what's your conclusion?" 

Ji Hong exhaled deeply. "100% guilty, no questions asked."

"So what's wrong?" Tae Ho asked. "What are you so hung up about that you simply can't let go of this case? Is it Lee Jun Ki and the fact that you got along with him for a week?" He waited for an answer. "Or is it Yoo Hye Jung?"

"What about her?"

Tae Ho stared at his good friend. "Are you blaming yourself for the hurt and pain she is going through right now?"

"A little," Ji Hong confessed. "You don't know her. Hye Jung is just a woman who went through hell and back to hell. That life had no ending or a bright tunnel waiting at the end for her. Jun Ki was the only one that she could rely and fully be herself with." 

"I'm not talking about the pain and loss she will have if Jun Ki is locked up." Tae Ho said. "She is someone you've only known for a week, seven days. Yoo Hye Jung is as much as a stranger as the next person. What does it matter if she is going to be hurt? What does that have to do with you?" 

Ji Hong looked at him. "I don't know." 

Kim Tae Ho took a deep breath. "I've known you for as long as I can remember. Back when your dad was my mentor. Whatever it is that you're thinking or.....feeling, end it. Don't forget, you have a fiancee at the end of the hallway. Someone you're about to marry in a month." 

"What?" Ji Hong asked. "Are you crazy? I don't like Yoo Hye Jung like that!" He shook his head in disappointment. "I just feel as if it will be my fault if she falls down into a crumple ball again. How am I supposed to live with myself knowing that I possibly ruined her life?" 

"Move on." Tae Hon suggested. "Move on from this part of your life and that's it." 

. . . 

One Month Later. 

Seo Woo leaned forward as she stared at Young Gook. "Tomorrow's the big day." 

Young Gook sneaked a peek at Chun Sung Im's office. "I can't believe he's going forth with this wedding." 

"Don't say it like that," Kang Soo said. "I mean, they were a happy couple once."

"Yeah, keyword is happy." Young Gook said. "The last month has been pure hell for us. The arguments, the disagreements, the screaming - why they are going forth with this damn wedding is anyone else's guesses."

Seo Woo sighed. "Ji Hong must be wrecked. Having to let go of the Fallen case a month ago, his hands bounded - not being able to help out Yoo Hye Jung."

"Do we know where she is?" Kang Soo asked. "With everyone involved in Fallen behind bars and her being the only sole member walking on the streets - what could she be doing?"

"Last I heard, she lost her job because the boss found out she was a gang member." Seo Woo said. "She stopped coming back to the bar. We don't know where she is."

Young Gook watched as Sung Im walked out of the office. "We stopped looking, we were practically forced to stop looking. That doesn't mean that Ji Hong stopped."

Kang Soo arched an eyebrow. "You mean, Hong Ji Hong probably has been looking for Hye Jung? Against orders?"

"You know how our lead detective as much as I do," Young Gook said. "He loves going against orders."

. . . 

"Are......you really.....going to marry......Sung Im?" Yoon Do asked softly as he watched his brother cook breakfast. 

Ji Hong smiled as he placed a bowl of rice in front of Yoon Do. "Yeah, you wanted me to right?" 

Yoon Do smiled as he nodded his head. "My.......biggest....wish." 

"I know it is." Ji Hong said. "And that's why I'm going to marry her." 

"Do.....you love....her?" Yoon Do started eating breakfast and tried to focus on the words in his head. The more he concentrate, the more faster he can speak out the words. Being incredibly shy regardless of the people who he surrounds himself with its almost like a burden. "Like mom and dad?" 

Ji Hong stared at Yoon Do proudly when he didn't stutter. "Hm, I wouldn't say like mom and dad." The memory of his parents flashed through his head for a few seconds. Their parents loved each other so much, they would've done anything for each other. After dying from a car accident, Ji Hong forced himself to work harder on making his little brother happy and making sure that Yoon Do gets better each and every day." 

"Not like mom and dad?" Yoon Do repeated. "Like....what?"

He doesn't know how to exactly reply. After coming back from the undercover assignment, his relationship with Sung Im has been rocky. Day and night, they had something new to argue about. To be honest, he's getting tired of the arguments. The fighting has been straining him and he doesn't know what to do. A part of him understand and tries to comply with the anger she has with him. But another part of him wonders if this is what he wanted? Is the fighting and the doubt something he wants in a relationship? Let alone a marriage? Or is he just staying in this relationship because of.....Yoon Do? "Do you really like having Sung Im in your life?" 

Yoon Do nodded his head. "She....makes me....happy. Like how....mom and dad did." 

"Of course." Ji Hong said. "Come on, let's eat and take you to the police station." 

"Hyung..." Yoon Do looked up from his rice. "You....didn't answer. If you don't love her......the way.....mom and dad loved each...other. How much do...you love her?" 

Ji Hong pondered on the thought for a few seconds. "I don't know, I really don't." 

. . . 

Parking the car in the side of the street, Ji Hong unbuckled the seatbelt as he turned to look at Yoon Do. "I'll be right back, okay? Favorite chips?" 

Yoon Do nodded his head. He leaned his head against the window as he slowly moved his head to the music while Ji Hong went inside the store. As he watched people slowly walk by, Yoon Do's eyes widened when he saw somebody familiar. "Oh....." He blinked a couple of times to make sure it's the right person. "Hye........Jung." Forgetting the rules that Ji Hong told him about always staying in the car, Yoon Do hurriedly took off the seatbelt and started following the familiar face. "Hye.....Jung." 

Hearing her name, she halted her steps and turned around to see a tall man standing in front of her. "Yes?" 

Yoon Do smiled brightly. "I'm......Yoon Do."

"Oh." Hye Jung was about to walk away again when she noticed the jacket he was wearing - the jacket stood out because it has his name embroiled in it. Something she remembered from an incident at a store a month ago. "Beer boy?"

"Yes!!" Yoon Do smiled. "How....are you?" 

"I'm...." Hye Jung looked down at herself and sighed. "Okay." 

Yoon Do furrowed his eyebrows together. "Why are you so - " 

"Yoon Do! You scared me!" Ji Hong said as soon as he caught up with him. "Don't do that again. I thought you were roaming around again." He turned his head and his eyes widened at the sight of Yoo Hye Jung. It took a couple of seconds for him to realize it was her but it was definitely her. Regardless of how messy her hair was and how dirty her clothes are, Ji Hong knew that he can't be mistaken. "Hye Jung..."

"You know her too?" Yoon Do smiled. "This is....my brother." 

Hye Jung knit her eyebrows together. "Huh." She tried to cover the holes in her clothes, the dirty patched she has. "I see." 

Ji Hong glanced at her up and down. "What happened to you?"

"That's a good question." Hye Jung said. "Next time when I feel like talking to you, I'll answer it." She turned around to walk away but when a hand was on her arm, she sighed. Thinking it was Ji Hong, she didn't bother on checking as she pushed him away. "Stay away!"

"Yoon Do!!" Ji Hong's eyes widened when his brother fell harshly on the ground. "Are you okay?"

Hye Jung turned around. "Oh my God, I'm so sorry." She bent down, her eyes filled with concern. "I didn't mean to push you. Are you okay?" 

"Why are....you yelling at my...brother?" Yoon Do asked with tears in his eyes. "What did you....do to her?" 

Ji Hong opened his mouth to speak but he didn't know what to say. He has never dared to lie to Yoon Do before. Hye Jung could see Ji Hong struggling to find an answer. "He didn't do anything. I'm just hungry and angry that I don't have food right now." Which isn't a lie, she has been starving for almost two days now. The trash has been her friendly leftovers at night these days. Being homeless has taught her a lot about finding the right trash cans to go through at night. "I'm sorry." 

Yoon Do looked at them. "We can eat together." 

"Yoon Do, I don't think - "

"But.....I'm hungry." Yoon Do said. 

"We just ate." Ji Hong said. 

"My stomach....says I'm hungry." Yoon Do still argued.

Hye Jung looked at the brothers. "It's fine. I can go somewhere else and - " she stopped talking when her stomach growled loudly. "Sorry." 

Ji Hong could tell that Hye Jung is probably living on the streets. She's a lot thinner than she was a month ago. The way how her hand was shaking indicates that she probably hasn't had a good meal in days, probably even weeks. He glanced at the time on his watch. "We can have an early lunch together." 

. . . 

Hye Jung tried her best to cover her face with the long strands of hair as people glanced and whispered at her. The minute she walked in the restaurant, people were already talking. She doesn't blame them. The smell thsts coming off from her and the way she looks, it's only understandable that they would have this reaction. 

Ji Hong glanced at everybody who kept looking. Having enough of it, he stood up and took off his jacket. Carefully and gently, he put the jacket around her shoulders. "It's cold out. You can keep it, wherever you're going next." 

"Thanks..." Hye Jung said. She picked up a handful of fries and shoved them inside . It feels so amazing to have actual food down her system again. "I feel much better." 

Yoon Do smiled. "Hyung says....nothing beats a good....burger and fries." 

Hye Jung smiled back. "Of course." 

"So, how have you been doing?" Ji Hong asked carefully. 

"Okay..." Hye Jung said. 

"Can you tell me what happened?" Ji Hong continued asking. The last thing he heard about her was that she tried to get the bar back so she can adopt the kids that went to the orphanage. But it came with only failure. With the Fallen members in prison, she has been tormented and beaten up by the Saints almost every other day. Soon, she gave up and that was the last thing he heard. No matter how hard he tried to look for her, he couldn't. It was like she vanished into thin air for a month. 

"Well, after the Fallen being in prison - I'm pretty much on my own. No one wanted to take me in for a job. They felt their lives were threatened if I came to work. Thanks to the words spread by Saint, I became a danger to almost everyone." Hye Jung took another bite of the burger. "I can't join the Saint or I will be killed by Lee Sung Jong." 

Ji Hong glanced at Yoon Do, who was busy focusing on his book than listening to the conversation. "Killed by Sung Jong? He's in prison, locked up for good. He's not going to do anything to you." 

Hye Jung chuckled. "Where's your Intel?"

He furrowed his eyebrows together. "What do you mean?" 

"Lee Sung Jong and Lee Ki Woo escaped prison two weeks ago." Hye Jung said. 

"Wait, what?!" Ji Hong's eyes widened in shock. 

"And guess what was the first thing they did?" Hye Jung asked. 

Ji Hong stared at her. "What?"

Hye Jung carefully pull down her shirt, revealing a whole area of cuts and bruises - deep harsh cuts that makes her wonder how she came out alive. She lets out a small laugh to hide her pain. "A lot more where that came from." 

"What the - " he dropped the burger back onto his plate. "Why didn't you tell me?! I could've helped!" 

Hye Jung slightly scoffed. "Like how you helped with Jun Ki?" 

"I'm sorry." Ji Hong said. 

"Don't be, I'm not mad at you anymore about that." Hye Jung glanced at him. "And I did try to tell you. After what they did to me, the only help I could think of was you. So I tried to tell you but you weren't there at the station. I just relayed the message and hoped that you would come looking for me." 

"Relay the message?" Ji Hong asked. "Who did you relay the message too?" 

. . . 

Sung Im turned off the office lights and exhaled deeply as she closed the door behind her. As she was about to bid goodbye to the others before seeing them tomorrow, she halted when Ji Hong came rushing in. "What the hell?"

Young Gook, Kang Soo and Seo Woo stood up from their desks with their eyes widened in confusion. "Is there something wrong?" 

"Why didn't you tell me?" Ji Hong demanded to know. "Why didn't you tell me about Yoo Hye Jung?!" 

"I don't know what you're talking about," Sung Im said quickly as she tried to walk by him but stopped when he clenched onto her wrist. "Hong Ji Hong, let go of me right now." 

Ji Hong narrowed his eyes at her. "Who are you? This isn't the person I fell in love with." 

"Are you really going to keep talking insane?" Sung Im questioned.

"Insane? It's about humanity!"

Sung Im rolled her eyes at the word humanity. "I am really sick of that word coming from you and your damn team."

"Hey!" Young Gook glared at her. "Shows how much you know about it if you hate it so much."

"Let go of me, Ji Hong. We can talk about this after the wedding." Sung Im said.

Ji Hong scoffed. "Look at me in the eyes and tell that you didn't do this on purpose."

"What the hell are you talking about?!"

He lets go of her wrists and took out police pictures and slammed it onto the desk nearby. "THIS!"

Seo Woo and the others immediately rushed over to the desk to look through the pictures. Gasping at the content of it, they stared at Sung Im bewildered. Pictures of Hye Jung wearing only a bra and underwear as the police took proof pictures. From head to toe, she was bloody and wounded with deep cuts and bruises. Her face is almost unrecognizable due to swollen features from her eyes and mouth. "When was this?!"

"Two weeks ago," Ji Hong replied. He clenched his hands into fists as he stared at his fiancee. "She came into this police station, looking for me. But I wasn't here, I was running an errand for you." He hardened his eyes at Chun Sung Im. "Out of the blue, you came out of your office and told me you needed things and asked me to leave work early. Now, I know the reason behind it. You had a phone call from downstairs, informing you that Yoo Hye Jung was looking for me. Bleeding and in pain, she came looking for me to inform about Lee Sung Jong and Lee Ki Woo escaping prison. They beat her up with weapons, sticks, bricks and even by their bare hands. She was tortured for three days by them!!! Left her for dead on the side of the street!!" Ji Hong tried to control his breathing. "But she couldn't tell me, I wasn't here. You were, she relayed the message to you, Sung Im. Because she knew you were the Lieutnant, someone of high ranking - someone she could damn trust!" 

"Get to the point." Sung Im said. 

Ji Hong couldn't believe this. "The damn point is that she entrusted you to inform an important message to me, to our team!! Two dangerous gang members of the Fallen escaped prison and how come we didn't know about it?!" 

"The case isn't ours anymore. It ended a month ago, why should we open the case again over some beating." 

"Over some beating?! She crawled herself here! Almost on the brick of death and you call that just a beating?!" Ji Hong screamed. 

Sung Im sighed deeply. "At the end of the day, she's still a Fallen. Someone who will bound to return to the dirty low life of hers." 

"Are you trying to tell me that you didn't tell us about this because it's their business? That we shouldn't get involved in it?" 

"Yes. We did the case and sent a huge percent of the Fallen in prison. We did a good job already. There is no need to be worried or concern ourselves with only three members left. Those two are bound to do something stupid and if a new case opens, we'll handle them. That beating Yoo Hye Jung recieved? I wouldn't say she didn't deserve it." Sung Im said. She stared at them, looking at her with disappointment across their faces. "They're gangsters. Beating each other up is a common factor in their line of filthy lives." 

Seo Woo looked at her. "Did you at least give the case to a different team? Yoo Hye Jung was physically assaulted, that's a new open case for the abuse team. Please tell us that you at least gave the case to them?"

"No. I had bigger worries." Sung Im simply said.

Kang Soo and Young Gook couldn't believe this con versatile right now. "Oh my God."  

Ji Hong shook his head in disapproval. "Inhumane." 

"Excuse me?" 

"You're inhumane. There isn't an ounce of compassion inside of you. Where's the compassion that I fell in love with? That Yoon Do loves about you?!" Ji Hong screamed. 

"Compassion? Do you see what position I am working in?! There is no such thing as compassion! I have to see everything in clear black and white, figure out what's the bigger issue and be done with it." Sung Im held onto Ji Hong's hand. "Can we please just stop this damn topic? It's not important to our lives. We have a big wedding day tomorrow." 

"No." 

Young Gook, Seo Woo and Kang Soo dropped the pictures onto the desk, scared to see what is going to be said or done. "Ji Hong...." Not wanting him to do something he might regret, they tried to pull him away but he stood still. 

"No?" Sung Im repeated. "No to what?"

Ji Hong looked at her straight in the eyes, the decision has reached his mind. He can't live like this - especially not spend his whole life with someone like Chun Sung Im. At least not this version of her, someone he doesn't know at all anymore. He took a few steps back and cleared his throat. "I can't marry you." 

Sung Im stood there for a few seconds, not knowing what to say. "Stop kidding around. Are you seriously going to break off the wedding because of some girl?" 

"I'm not breaking up the wedding because of her." Ji Hong said calmly. "It's over between us. There are obviously issues between us that we never got the change to see in the two years together. I thought we were perfectly fine until when events pops up, you and I share different views. I can't be with someone that doesn't agree with me - even if you do disagree, at least be logical about it. From what I can see, there is no logic or humanity in you that makes me want to spend the rest of my life with you." He ran a hand across his hair out of frustration. "Don't put this on them," indicating over to the team. "Or with Yoo Hye Jung. This is an issue between us and for the last month that has gone by, we've done nothing but fight. I'm sick of it."

"Hong Ji Hong, don't do this." Sung Im said. 

Ji Hong shook his head. "Sung Im, I'm sorry. I'll pack mine and Yoon Do's stuff out of your apartment. Sorry." 

And just like that, Hong Ji Hong turned to walk out of the building. Not bothering on glancing back to check if she's okay or not. 

. . .  

A/N: Here is the next chapter! I must say this is completely my favorite chapter now. Everything is finally settled in and let the relationship between Ji Hong & Hye Jung happen! I am so excited to begin their small friendship and make it grow! especially with Yoon Do finally more involve! I've been dying to put his character more in but I had to wait for the best moment! (: thank you for those who commented, it sincerely means alot! i noticed some people were missing but it's only understandable since its the holiday season! i hope that you guys come back and enjoy these chapters, sharing your thoughts and all (: please don't leave this story even if the first five chapters were rough. i am so sorry if this wasn't the story you all wanted but i will try my best to make this story as amazing as i can. please make sure to comment and subscribe! it would mean alot for me!

REPLIES from Chapter Five:

@lydlaw: aw, thank you! i know the comments and views shouldn't matter and it really doesn't. all your support, i am already so thankful for it. thank you so much!

@rinsen: hehe, JH had to reveal his identity :P it's better this way, isn't it? awwww, thank you for your heathly comment! i do feel a bit better now! thank you so much for your comment!

@lsumner91: thank you for the comment!! (:

@shiningarmourica: awwwwwwww, thank you so much for loving this story! it seriously means alot! thank you!!!

@qwerthee: awwwww, this really means alot! thank you so much for leaving that comment! don't worry! more moments between our favorite couple will come often now!! (:

@JosieP1: aw, happy thanksgiving to you too! thank you so much for the comment!! (:

@rearubzbi20: hehe, the excitment for their relationship will happen soon! with everything finally settled down, it's about to be a crazy ride! thank you so much!!!

@crystsari: ahahahha, i love your comment so much!!! I try my best to keep this story as unpredicatable as possible! you must really hate sung im in this chapter then, hehe! thank you so much for your long beautiful comment!!!

@estrelitacristino: awwww, thank you for the comment!!

@ritasimona2727: thank you so much for the concern, i do feel better now! yes, the real drama has settled down and now the friendship between JH & HJ will finally set in! you must've not liked Sung Im very much in this chapter, huh? ahahaha. thank you so much for your beautiful comment!!! (:

 

YOUR COMMENTS SINCERELY MAKES ME SO HAPPY!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!! & those who are silent readers, thank you so much for your endless support and love!! & those who haven't gotten the chance to comment, thank you for always reading!!! (: