Choices Taken

Nightfall

The ship had arrived earlier than the time expected. While Ji Hong had thought that the ship would be the size of probably Titanic but it was rather small - definitely too small to be holding crates of alcohol. Only one person came out from the ship, walking along the dock toward the men. A bright smile plastered on his face as he handed them a piece of paper. "I am surprised to be seeing the Fallen back in business again." 

Ki Woo wrapped his jacket tighter around himself as he chuckled. "Convinced our father that working with you has been a pleasure. Shouldn't cut ties just because of some issues within the gang." He glanced over at Jun Ki, who was shivering from the coldness and still drenched from the water. "My brother didn't know any better a year ago but know he does."

Ji Hong noticed the way Jun Ki stayed a good distance from the ship guy. "I'm Rae Won, the new guy." 

"Joon Hyuk." He glanced over to the brothers and furrowed his eyebrows. "I didn't know that Fallen was adding new members to their gang? Damn, I can't remember the last time a recruitment happened."

"Fifteen years ago." Ki Woo answered while signing the paper. "And we're not sure if he's staying."

Ji Hong chuckled. "Leader seems to think that I am definitely staying." He narrowed his eyes at them. "What happens if I won't be able to stay? Kill me?" It was the perfect moment to bring up a question like that. If they answer yes, it definitely gives him knowledge that they're willing to kill. 

"We don't kill." Jun Ki said in a soft voice. "Not our members." 

Not our members? He doesn't know how to take that answer as. Ji Hong adverted his attention over to the ship. "About these shipments......what is it?" 

Joon Hyuk laughed. "You're in for a ride, my new friend." He took the piece of paper back from Ki Woo and started walking back toward the ship. "Remember the deal, I get 10% of every profit you make. Considering the amount that you've kindly asked for - I should be seeing my money soon?"

"It depends," Ki Woo said as they followed behind him. "You've said it yourself. It's been a year since we've done this. We have to earn our past client's trust back." 

"Who's dumb enough not to trust Fallen?" Joon Hyuk jokingly said as he jumped out the ship. After a few seconds, he came out with one crate in his arms. "There is nineteen more inside but I thought you should see the gem first." 

Jun Ki exhaled deeply as he runs a hand through his hair. "Let's just hurry this along." 

"You don't seem like you're a fan." Ji Hong took notice as he watched Jun Ki's facial expression. 

"It's not about being a fan, it's about how foolish this whole thing we're getting ourselves into again." Jun Ki said. 

"Foolish?" Ki Woo turned his head to look at them briefly. "This can possibly give you more money for those crappy charities you keep sending your pay to." 

Ji Hong narrowed his eyes as Joon Hyuk used a tool to open the crate. As soon the lid was taken off, Ki Woo moved in closer with a smirk on his face. He pulled out some bubble wrappers out and bottles of alcohol. Are the shipments actual alcohol orders for the bar? Ji Hong arched an eyebrow  in confusion when Ki Woo took out four more alcohol bottles out. Once he set aside the bottles, Ji Hong's eyes widened once he saw what the real shipments were. Drugs, all kinds of illegal drugs. Of course it had to be drugs, why didn't Ji Hong put that together? 

Ki Woo started weighing one of the bags with his hand and nodded his head. "This is good, this is amazing." He smirked over at Joon Hyuk. "Your business is as awesome as it gets. Even better this time." 

Joon Hyuk laughed. "When Fallen asks, I have to give them my best products." He looked over at Ji Hong and Jun Ki. "Those crates won't move themselves, you know." 

Running an underground casino, possibly selling or using illegal drugs - Fallen Gang definitely lived up to their name. As financially weak as they are, they don't mess around. If anything, running that fake bar business is probably the most legal thing they've been doing. Ji Hong took a mental note of the name of the ship. Loyalty. With all the facts that he has already gathered, this gang can be behind bars for more than three decades - ironically it's as long as Fallen's legacy. But his team is not part of the drug squad, they're homicide and the only way Ji Hong can really bring these people down is by catching them on the act or finding more information on their connections with the murders. With over a hundred murders in the last two years, he and the team has to give justice to those innocent lives. 

So as disturbing and annoying as it is to not be able to do anything, Ji Hong has to it up and do his job as a detective. He jumped onto the ship and followed behind Jun Ki as they prepare to bring these drugs back home. 

. . . 

Chun Sung Im smiled softly as she watched Yoon Do asleep in his bed. She closed the door behind her and made her way over to Ji Hong's desk. As a couple who share the same line of career, they've made it perfectly clear to each have their own desk. So they wouldn't disturb or mess up any progress on certain a cases they work on. She narrowed her eyes as she looked at the files on the desk. "Fallen Gang..." she read aloud while flipping over some of the papers. "What have you been doing for the past two months, Hong Ji Hong...." 

Two Months Ago.

"Ji Hong! You're thirty-five years old. Don't you think working an undercover assignment a little over your age? Hand it over to Young Gook or Kang Soo." Sung Im said as she sat down on the couch. 

"Sung Im, you don't understand what's happening. My team and I have been working on this case day and night. We just found out that Fallen Gang has definite connections with the murders in the last two years!" Ji Hong walked over as sat next to her on the couch. "You of all people can understand that knowing who Fallen Gang members are is liking smacking against a brick wall continuously. But look," he showed the pictures of the members he found. "We know who they are now. If I go in under a different identity and become one of them. I can gather information and finally arrest this gang that Seoul lives in fear."

"Our wedding is in three months, Ji Hong." Sung Im looked at him with concern written all over her face. "This isn't some kind of small undercover assignment that we're taking about. You're trying to infiltrate into one of Seoul's scariest and most violent gang there is. Who knows how long you would be in there for? Or if you'll ever come back? Look at Seo's undercover assignment with Madame Park and a couple of 1% people! It took her months to finally get it and that wasn't even dangerous." She closed the files he gave her and sighed. "I'm not allowing this assignment. I'm not signing the papers." 

"We're cops, Sung Im. Giving a bit of peace and justice for the lives that those families lost is what we can at least do." Ji Hong said. 

Sung Im glared at him. "As your lieutenant, the answer is no. When I come back from my academy teachings at Jeju Island, you better still be here." 

Present Time.

She tapped her fingers and looked at the picture frame of her and Ji Hong together. "And obviously, you never listen."

. . . 

Hye Jung tucked the blanket over the children and smiled as she softly touch their hair. Sometimes when she looks at them, it reminds of her as a child. Since the day she was born, she was a part of this type of business. Gangsters. There is no way out to this horrifying life. Maybe death is the only way but she doesn't want to test her luck. Not with all the people she loves and cares for is with her. To be honest, she hadn't been lucky at all in her twenty-eight of living so far. Life for her as a kid was tough and unbearable. The things she had to put up with, the things she had to let go. And as long as she stays in this sort of life, it's a constant reminder of the most painful memory of all. 

Thirteen Years Ago, Saint's Home. 

"Dad! Please don't!" Hye Jung begged as she clenched onto his arm. "I don't want to go! Please don't!" 

Yoo Min Ho smacked her hand away, pushing her onto the floor. "I don't want you anymore!" He screamed as he smacked her across the face. "You just remind me of that damn mother of yours!" 

"But I didn't do anything wrong!" Hye Jung cried as she stood back up, her hand clenched onto her cheek. "Mom did! It's not my fault that she slept with someone else! You can't hate me for something she did!" 

"Shut up!" Yoo Min Ho smacked her across the face again, with twice the strength this time. 

Hye Jung swears she can hear her ears ringing. "You think I really want to stay here? I would do anything to leave this stupid life! I'm fifteen years old! Why can't I just go off and live on my own?!" 

"You don't need to know." 

She watched as her dad start walking away, carrying her packed bags and throwing them nearby the door. "Why are you doing this? If you don't want me so badly, I'll live on my own. But selling me off? To the Fallen?! It doesn't make sense!" 

"BOYS! Get her out of here!" Min Ho screamed on top of his lungs. 

Hye Jung breathed heavily as she watched her dad's men running down the stairs. "I am not some kind of product, dad! I'm your daughter! Why are you selling me off to your biggest rival in this damn city?!" She struggled to keep the fellow members hands off of her as they slowly start dragging away. "Let go of me!! Dad!! Don't do this! I don't want to be sent over there! Why? Just tell me why!!" 

"We need the money!!" Min Ho screamed. "Don't you know what Saint is known for? Money! We're meant to hold money and have power. We can't have that if we're losing it. Fallen hardly care for money." 

"What are you trying to say?" 

Min Ho looked at his daughter. "Lee Sung Jong made an offer. He is willing to send off a good amount of money toward us if we send you over to him. Frankly, he has had his eyes on you for a while."

Hye Jung stared at her dad in disbelief. "You're selling me off for money?!" 

"Think of it as something good you're finally able to do as a Saint. The last thing you're able to do in our name anyways." Min Ho nodded his head toward his men as an indication for them to take her away. "From now on, you're a Fallen. You will not be considered as my daughter anymore. We are rivals from this day on." 

She lost the soul to argue or scream back. She let the men drag her away into the dark, rainy night. There is nothing on her mind except for the fact that her dad has sold her off for simply money and power. His legacy, the Saints is more important than his own flesh and blood. 

Present Time.

"Hye Jung," she adverted her attention away from the kids and over to the door where Leader Sung Jong stood. "Are they asleep?" 

"Yes." Hye Jung cleared as she stood up and greeted him. "It's late, sir. Why are you here?" 

Sung Jong chuckled as he looked at her. "Just wanted to check up on them." He clenched onto the cane tighter as he looked around. "Why? Afraid that I was here to see you?" 

"Of course not." Hye Jung answered. "We're family." 

"Family, yes." Sung Jong coughed as he walked into the room and settled down into one of the seats. "You've been with us for so long."

"Thirteen years." Hye Jung said. The calendar over at the corner of the room shows her that today is the anniversary since she arrived to Fallen. 

"Do you regret becoming our family?" 

She doesn't exactly know how to answer that. "Family is all I got, right?" 

Sung Jong chuckled. "Right." He exhaled deeply as he briefly closed his eyes for a few seconds. "I have a new job for you, Hye Jung. And I hope you remember what I always say." 

"No is never an answer." Hye Jung said slowly as she knit her eyebrows together. 

. . . 

Ji Hong watched in silence as the Fallen members carry the crates into their storage. For the past two days, he has been thinking on how he was supposed to approach a situation like this. A way where his identity doesn't get discovered. He can't let them sell these drugs off. Not only will it be harmful for whoever buys it but it can cause a chain reaction. He has dealt with the dirty cops in his years as a detective. He has watched the families of those dirty cops crumble and live in shame of what their trusted loved ones did with the badge. If the lives of those families are easily crumbled, what would it be like for the lives of those who will soon buy off these drugs? 

"Rae Won." Jun Ki walked over, handing him a small envelope. "Leader is proud of your progress throughout this whole thing. He has rewarded you." 

Ji Hong furrowed his eyebrows as he slightly opened the envelope to see cash inside. Just by looking at it, he can tell there is at least $5000. His hand clenched onto the envelope as he glanced up at Jun Ki, who placed his own envelope in his back pockets. "You know what," he handed the envelope over to Jun Ki with a smile. "Why don't you give this to one of those charities that your brother was talking about." 

"What?" Jun Ki chuckled in surprise. "Are you serious?"

"Yeah." Two months of research and knowledge has led Ji Hong to believe that Jun Ki has no ill intent with money he's given. "Why don't I do good for once in my life."

Jun Ki smiled as he put the envelope with the other one. "I seriously don't know what to say, man." As a Fallen, he has given money to countless members who always gladly take the money. Either it's for their own benefits or to buy alcohol but never has he come across someone who was willing to give the money to charities like he has. Other than Hye Jung, this is a definite first. "The local charities will appreciate the money, thank you."

Ji Hong gave him a smile as he walked over to the bench. It's been two days since he has left this place, he hasn't seen his team or his brother. He has to find a way to leave this area without looking suspicious. Checking the time on his watch, he took a deep breath. It's going to turn dark soon. "Why do you do it?"

"Do what?" Jun Ki asked back as he took a seat next to him.

"The charities. The money is meant for you to spend recklessly with the lives we live. Drugs, alcohol and women." Ji Hong shrugged his shoulders. "Considering how your brother is, I just assumed that you would follow his footsteps."

Jun Ki laughed. "If there is something that I would never do, it would to follow my brother's footsteps." His eyes adverted over to the other members carrying the last few crates into the storage. "Think about the sort of life we're stuck with. Running an illegal casino is one thing but selling drugs? The life as a gangster seems as hectic as it is. You have to follow certain orders the goes against your morals. Sometimes the things you're forced to do is chilling and inhumane." Jun Ki blinked his eyes several times as he scoffed lightly. "Entering the life as a gangster was a choice of yours, right? You had two different paths to choose and this is the one you picked. Honestly? I would do anything to be in your shoes."

Ji Hong cleared his throat. "I guess living life as a regular human being isn't my style."

"Well, I didn't get to choose. This is the life I was born into, regardless of how much I despise it - I have to live in order to survive. One little wrong move, our leader will have my head cut off." Jun Ki said.

"But he's your dad," Ji Hong said. "Leader or not, he's family."

Jun Ki laughed. "It doesn't matter. I would leave right now without looking back if I could, just keep running and hiding from them but I can't do that. Not when I have so much to lose."

"The money?"

"No." Jun Ki smiled as he watched Hye Jung walked out of the building, her hands waving over to him. "Her." Glancing over to Ji Hong as he got up from the seat. "You ask why I do so much charities despite the kind of life I live? Let's just say that I am trying to balance the good and bad. To repay the horrendous things I've done, I try my best to make sure that the good things can replace it at least."

Ji Hong shrugged his shoulders. "But does it help with your consciousness?"

"Of course not." Jun Ki answered. "It helps a bit so I can continue living day by day." He crossed his arms across his chest before checking the time on his watch. "How do you feel about leaving this area for a bit?"

"Can I?" Ji Hong questioned as he stood up. If he can leave with Jun Ki, he can try and escape to his team for a few hours. For some reason, Fallen has a tight schedule on it's members being able to leave the area. Unless it's approved by either the leader or Ki Woo, it looks like the members are stuck here.

"I can convince my father to allow us to leave for a few hours." Jun Ki started walking toward Hye Jung with Ji Hong following. "I want to show you one of the places that I love escaping to."

. . .

Seo Woo tapped her fingers against the desk as she narrowed her eyes at the board. In the last two days, she has spent and created a whole Fallen Gang diagram. Who is connected to who, what are their weaknesses and their strong points over the others. It wasn't easy but it's done. The only problem is that the board became seemingly pointless. It got her nowhere. It's no wonder how the Fallen managed to hide themselves so well over the years. 

"I hate this," Kang Soo said as he slammed the folder onto his desk. "Without Lieutanant Chun's signature, we can't get the sealed filed open."

"By the looks of it, we'll never get it." Seo Woo said while rolling her eyes. "I don't get it. Why is she so against us helping Detective Hong?" 

Young Gook took a sip of his coffee and sighed. "Because he chose to over step her authority and went to Captain Kim Tae Ho for the permission on the undercover assignment." He knocked on the board and shrugged his shoulders. "We'll never get anywhere with this. Not with her cooperation." 

"You would think she's at least worried over the fact that he hasn't spoken to us for two days." Seo Woo said. "I mean, he's our boss but he's her fiancee." 

"He's probably fine." Kang Soo reassured her. "Maybe the Fallen has him doing something crazy." 

Young Gook shook his head. "Those Fallen bastards probably has him helping with the illegal casino." 

. . . 

Ji Hong awkwardly stood against the wall as he watched the scene in front of him. He had expected that Jun Ki would take him on some sort of dark place - a place that seems fitting as a Fallen. Instead, they're in a senior home. The place filled with cane walking or wheelchair old people in and out of the building.

"Lady Hae, how are you feeling?" Hye Jung bent down and smiled as she took the lady's hands. "I've missed you." 

The old lady giggled as she patted Hye Jung's hands. "Old and wrinkly, what else is new?" 

Jun Ki chuckled as he walked over, holding out his hand. "How about we stand up and do a little waltz for old time sake?" 

"Would your girlfriend mind?" 

Hye Jung smiled softly. "I will just have to find myself another man to dance with." She got up and helped Lady Hae out of her wheelchair. Once Jun Ki had his arms around Lady Hae's waist, Hye Jung stepped back and watched their dance. "Well, damn. He never dances like that with me. You're one lucky woman, Lady Hae." 

"It's the charms that makes him so into me." Lady Hae said shyly as she leaned her head against Jun Ki's chest. 

Ji Hong couldn't help but chuckle. "How long have you two been volunteering here?" 

"Four years." Hye Jung said. "Jun Ki and I have been giving money to the senior home close to ten years. But we never imagined to volunteer like this, not with the kind of life we live." She shrugged her shoulders as she happily watch the other old people dancing on their own to the music. "It wasn't until Lady Hae was watching us hand the money to the owner of the place that she forced us to come inside." 

"Seems like they really love you guys."

She lightly laughed. "Well, they really don't know who we are so I suppose the love is good for now." Hye Jung looked up at Ji Hong. "Jun Ki told me about the money. You really didn't have to but thank you. It will help this place a lot." 

Ji Hong stared at her smile. "That's the first genuine smile you've given me since I came here." 

"Do you want me to stop?" 

"No," he laughed. "It's just that it's honorable what you've two have done for this place or any other places you've helped." Maybe it's the double standard that Ji Hong keeps thinking about but to stand here and witness a scene like this. It makes him wonder how much of the other Fallen are like this. The murders may just not be connected to some of them and if that's possible, Ji Hong can arrest these two for illegal activities within the casino. They can be out of prison with a clean slate and start their lives over together. Jun Ki was right earlier - the life that they live, they never had a choice. It was taken from them the moment they were born. 

"Honorable or not, this is just something that Jun Ki can do to make him feel better about himself." Hye Jung said. "To ease his pain." 

Ji Hong looked at her. "I might be prying my way into this but considering that I've been with you guys for almost a week now. There is nothing that Fallen has done that seems guilt wrenching worthy. I mean, all of this for just running an underground casino? And those drugs? People who aren't even gangster do those kind of stuff for a living." He cleared his throat as he carefully asked the next question. "Is there something about what Fallen has done or still do that I have to watch out for? Since I am part of the family now." 

"You're right." Hye Jung said slowly. She uncrossed her arms to her sides and narrowed her eyes at him. "You're prying too much. When the times come, you will get to know. Going around asking questions won't do you any good with the exception of making everyone suspicious of you." 

Before Ji Hong could say something, she walked over to some other elderly people. He sighed as he looked over at the clock on the wall. It's already half past eight. It's now or never. Carefully and slowly as the couple were busy, he walked out of the building and started running toward the end of the street. 

. . . 

"Unless Detective Hong comes back with concrete evidence on the murders, we're at wits end with this gang." Young Gook said.

Kang Soo sighed. "So what happens? He comes back and we move on? Like the other detectives on the past murder cases?"

Seo Woo groaned as she slammed her head against the desk. "This is our first homicide case. If we fail this, what would the other cops in this building look at us as? Failure?" 

"We do perfectly fine as detectives for bribery cases and what not." Young Gook shrugged his shoulders. "Might as well tell him to leave Fallen early. If he stays there any longer, he could be stuck." 

"His wedding is next month," Kang Soo muttered. "He has to be back before then." 

"Don't worry about that." Ji Hong made his way over to the team and smiled. "I'm back for only a few minutes." His eyes adverted over to the board. "Good start, Seo Woo." 

Young Gook scoffed. "How do you know that Kang Soo and I didn't do that?" 

"I know my team and unless your handwriting has gotten neater than the last time I've read your reports, I don't think so." Ji Hong snapped his fingers. "Open your notebooks." The three of them immediately opened their notebooks and got their pens out. "Three days ago, Fallen has taken in shipments from a guy named Joon Hyuk. Find out me his last name. It might be hard but all I can go off on is that he has a ship that's named Loyalty. I will pay a visit to the sketch artist after I leave the office." 

"Shipments?" Seo Woo asked. 

Ji Hong exhaled deeply. "Drugs. I don't even know where to begin on what they are. Whatever you think of, they probably have it."

"Don't we have to call in the drug squad?" Kang Soo suggested. 

"No. We call them in and the case will be turned over to them." Ji Hong said. "Just find out what you can about the ship and the mystery guy. As soon as you get any information, send me a text. I will have it turned off but I'll turn it back on within two days." 

"Have you started asking about the murders? The victims? See if they have any guilt written on their faces?" Young Gook questioned. 

Ji Hong shook his head. "No. I guess we can finally understand why nothing about Fallen ever gets out. Those people are as secretive as they can get." He paused and stared at the pictures of Hye Jung and Jun Ki on the wall. Since he has walked into the station, he has debated on whether he should share an opinion about something to his team. "About Lee Jun Ki and Yoo Hye Jung...." Ji Hong crossed his arms. "I don't think there is anything suspicious about them. Just two people who happened to be born into the wrong side of the family." 

Seo Woo stared at her leader. "What do you mean? You want us to cross them off as potential suspects?" 

"All I am saying is that besides the underground casino, they may have no involvement with the murders. Once this undercover assignment is over, we can just have them behind bars for a few years." Ji Hong shrugged his shoulders. "I've talked to them and spent time with those two. Murder? Over a hundred of them? I just think they may be innocent." 

"So basically you want to cross out two suspects because of time you spent with them in barely a week?" Ji Hong's eyes widened as he turned around and looked at his fiancee, Sung Im. "You're a detective. Feelings aren't supposed to be conflicting with your job." 

Ji Hong cleared his throat. "Sung Im..." 

Sung Im sighed deeply as she glared at the team and at Ji Hong. "My office, Detective Hong. Now!"

"Just remember what I told you to look into, okay?" Ji Hong said before he followed behind Sung Im. As soon as he closed her office door behind him, he softy smiled. "I didn't know you were back." 

"Yeah? Maybe it's because you've had your phone off for the last three days." Sung Im sat down. "Or maybe because while you're busy infiltrating yourself with a group of gangsters that you clearly forgot you have a brother at home that needs your attention?"

Ji Hong runs a hand through his hair. "I know that you're mad for me overstepping your authority but this had to be done one way or another."

Sung Im scoffed. "I was listening to what you were telling the team. I've actually been getting information from them, trying to understand just what is it that made you want to go undercover so badly. Even after I told you not to." She shook her head and looked at him. "This case is going nowhere, Ji Hong. The longer you stay in that gang, the harder it will be for you to escape. Do you honestly believe that you understand half those people already by just a few days?" 

"Listen to me, Sung Im. You know as much as I do that I follow my instincts and they're never wrong. Yoo Hye Jung and Lee Jun Ki really don't seem like the kind of people who would do something like murder." 

"But they are people who involve themselves in a gang and illegal activities?" 

Ji Hong sighed. "It wasn't their choice." 

Sung Im closed her eyes briefly as she tried to control the anger and frustration inside of her. "Do you hear yourself? There you go again. Acting out on your feelings on the job. That's not what a detective does." 

"Yeah? Well, it's what a human being does when they don't want the wrong people in prison!" Ji Hong argued. 

"They're not wrong people when they're a bunch of gangsters!" Sung Im screamed back. 

Ji Hong chuckled as he stepped back. "It's happening again. The clear difference between us when we're on the job. You and I have always thought differently on certain things." 

Sung Im sighed. "Our wedding is in one month. If this undercover case continues on, walking down the aisle may never happen. Are you seriously telling me that you're willing to postpone something that we've been waiting for years on?"

"I never said that." 

"Well, what is it? You're back now, aren't you? Don't walk back to those group of people and stay here. This case will just be closed and be reopened to a different team. If you go back to them, I don't know when you'll ever be back to me or Yoon Do again." Sung Im narrowed her eyes at him. "Make your choice, Hong Ji Hong. End the case and continue being a detective for other important cases or walk back out to a future unknown. What you're doing is dangerous especially someone like you who have a badge. What do you think will happen when they find out you're a cop?" 

Ji Hong took a deep breath. "Well, I just have to make sure they never find out that I have a badge, right?" Before he let her continue to say something, he walked out of the office. Halting his steps, he looked at his team. "Take care of Yoon Do and Sung Im for me." 

Seo Woo sighed as she watched Ji Hong walk out. "What the hell just happened?" 

"A couple's quarrel...is what happened. A desperately harsh one." Kang Soo muttered under his breath. 

. . . 

Hye Jung smiled as she waved goodbye to the elderly. "I'll start the car," she said to Jun Ki, who was busy talking to the owner of the senior home. She walked out of the building. As she made her way into the alley, heading toward the parking lot - she halted her steps once she heard something ruffling behind her. "Who's there?" After a few moments of silence, she slowly turned her head and stepped back in horror. "Ji Young..."

Yoo Ji Young stepped out from the shadows and smirked as she stared at her little niece. "It's been a while, Hye Jung." 

"What....what are you doing here?" Hye Jung glanced over at the Saint members behind her. As she turned to walk away, she stopped when the other Saint members blocked her. "Why are you here?" 

"Just thought that I should pay a visit to my niece." Ji Young  glared at her. "Seems like you and lover boy has gotten closer over the years. It's funny. It almost feels like you love being a Fallen." 

Hye Jung narrowed her eyes at her aunt. "Didn't look like I had much of a choice thirteen years ago, did I?" 

"That sharp tongue of yours," Ji Young stepped closer, closing off any distance they had between them. "I never liked it." 

"What are you doing here?" Hye Jung repeatedly asked. 

Ji Young smiled. "Your father recently heard that Fallen has taken a new business in. Something that can give them even more reason to make money." She shrugged her shoulders. "Just wanted to check and make sure if the rumors are true or not." 

"I believe that it's not any of your business." Hye Jung said. 

Ji Young stared at Hye Jung bewildered as she laughed along with the other Saint members. "Well, why don't we look at that. Keeping Fallen's secrets with her. Seems like jumping into beds like your mother did has done you well." 

"Don't talk about her," Hye Jung warned. "I won't let you talk about my mom like that." 

"Why?" Ji Young started jabbing her finger against Hye Jung's chest. "Are you getting offended? Don't you think it will consider to be ironic for you to feel offended for what your mom did? Since you're doing the exact same thing?" 

"Back off." Hye Jung said. 

Ji Young scoffed. "Boys, handle her." She backed away while laughing to herself. "Give her a nice beating before she runs back into her lover's arms."

Before Hye Jung could find a way to escape, she screamed in pain when she felt one of them kick her on the sides. She landed on the ground, dirt and water on the side of her face. Trying her best to stand back up, she managed to kick one of the guy's legs. Clenching her fists tightly, she punched one of them on the face. "Stop it!" Her eyes adverted over to her aunt, tears b against her eyes. "Does my dad know you're doing this?!"

"Your dad?" Ji Young laughed. "He's the one that ordered me to."

"What..." Hye Jung stood frozen at the news. Maybe it's the little thread of hope that she was clenching onto but she had imagined that her dad would still care for her. Even if he sold her to his rival gang, she still believed that somewhere inside that heart of his - he would love his one and only daughter. It's what kept her alive all these years - it kept her from saying anything bad about Saint or her father. It kept her from telling secrets of her once family, she kept her honor. She was so distracted with her thoughts that she didn't see a punch coming her way. Hye Jung landed harshly on the ground again, her head smacking against a rock. As blood trickles down her head, she has lost the energy to fight back. Instead, she laid there and let the Saint members beat her continuously. Tears and blood blend together as she cried, she winced in pain with every hit. 

"HEY!!!" Ji Hong's eyes widened as he pushed his way through the crowd. "Hye Jung, are you okay?!" He helped her up from the ground, his eyes glaring at the strangers. "What the hell is your problem?!" 

Ji Young narrowed her eyes. "A new face. Who are you?" 

"I don't think it's any of your business." Ji Hong answered. He turned his attention back over to Hye Jung, his hands holding onto the sides of her bloody face. "Are you okay? Do you know these people?" 

"AHHH," Ji Young laughed as she crossed her arms. "You're another one, aren't you? One of the men that she's sleeping with." 

Ji Hong scoffed. "You're a woman. Have a little respect, would you?" 

"Respect? You think someone like her needs respect? At the end of the day, she's just like that dirt of a mother of hers." Ji Young snapped her fingers. "Newsflash, hero of the night. She would do anything to live another day. Even if it means sleeping with the leader of Fallen." 

"What her mother did in the past has no connection with Hye Jung now." Ji Hong said. 

Ji Young started laughing as she fixed the end of her shirt. "How about you try to rephrase that sentence of yours? Like I said, mother like daughter." 

"What..." Ji Hong furrowed his eyebrows together as he glanced between Hye Jung and the stranger. "You don't mean..." Considering her relationship with Lee Jun Ki, he would never imagine Yoo Hye Jung to sleep with Lee Sung Jong, the leader but also father of the man she's dating. 

"I told you," Hye Jung muttered slowly. "Don't talk about my mom again!" She screamed as she tried to hit Ji Young but Ji Hong pulled her back. "Don't talk about her like that! She didn't do anything wrong! She never wanted to do anything with him! None of us wanted to do what we did!" Hye Jung started to uncontrollably cry as she fell on the ground, her arms wrapped around herself. 

Ji Hong doesn't know how to exactly react. He stood astonished and frozen at what is happening. His eyes glanced up at the strangers, walking away after the mess they caused. "Hye Jung..." Ji Hong bent down to try and calm her down but she only squirmed away. As if she is scared of his touch. 

"Hye Jung?" Jun Ki rushed over, his eyes widened. "What happened?!" 

"A group of people were here, they were beating her and I tried to stop it but - " how was he supposed to explain about what he just heard to Jun Ki? Strangers just made an accusation of Hye Jung sleeping with Lee Sung Jong and to make matters worse, she didn't even deny it. 

Jun Ki ran back to where he came from, searching for them. "Saints..." 

"You mean, the Saints?" Ji Hong asked. "But they're supposed to be her family..." 

"Yeah? Well, there is no such thing as family with those people." Jun Ki walked back over to Hye Jung, he kept his distance from her. "Did you try to touch her?" 

Ji Hong furrowed his eyebrows at the question. "What? I mean, yeah. I tried to comfort her but she just kept on shaking." 

"It's a reflex." Jun Ki whispered. He stood back up, his eyes glued on her. "Let's give her a moment." He grabbed Ji Hong by the arm, taking him back over to the car. "What did they say? The Saints."

"I wasn't there for the whole thing but all I heard was the woman slandering about Hye Jung's mom and about how - " Ji Hong hesitated to continue on speaking. This sort of topic has to be uncomfortable to deal with. 

Jun Ki stared at Ji Hong's facial expressions. "They said something about my dad, didn't they? About getting in bed or what not?" 

"What? You know?" Ji Hong blinked in surprise.

"Look, you're new here. Thank you for protecting her when I wasn't there but I'm not going to start spilling secrets within just days of knowing you." Jun Ki cleared his throat as he started the car. "But I can let you know that it wasn't her choice and it has stopped. I told you, our choices get taken from us whether we like it or not." 

Ji Hong glanced over at Hye Jung, who was limping her way over to the car. He was going to help her but she held her hand up to stop him - she winched in pain as she opened the passenger side door. Jun Ki and Ji Hong watched in silence as she put on her seatbelt, closing her eyes in silence. "I'm sorry to hear about all of this. I don't know what to say." He can hardly imagine the pain and agony that these two go through on the daily basis. To work for a man that has done them great harm and have nothing to say because he basically owns their lives. 

"You don't have to say anything," Jun Ki nodded over to the back seat for Ji Hong to get in. "Now you can understand why these few hours of escape is so important to us." 

Ji Hong nodded his head as he got in the car, his eyes glancing over to Hye Jung. It makes sense, everything is starting to make sense. The way Hye Jung is reluctant to speak up at times when their leader is in the same room, the way she only open herself to the kids and Jun Ki, the way she is always pondering on whether she could trust him or not. The pain and torment she has been going through is uncomparable to anyone he has met in his life. His eyes adverted over to Jun Ki's hand, who was slowly reaching over to hold onto Hye Jung's hand. Once the two clenched their hands together, Ji Hong stared out the window as he watched the moon. 

Sung Im is wrong because she possibly can't understand these people. Maybe his instincts is a far-fetched decision to base on or his feelings are too conflicting for the job but after what he just witnessed tonight. He isn't leaving this undercover assignment. Not when he knows what goes on inside the Fallen's household. Murders or not, he is bringing down these people and he will do whatever it takes to help Lee Jun Ki and Yoo Hye Jung leave this horrendous life of theirs. 

He is determinded to help them get back their choices and live the life they want.

. . . 

 

A/N: Hello! Wow! This chapter ended up longer than I had expected but here it is! I am so excited to hear that many of you are liking this story so far. I can understand that the scale is definitely different. The characters will be getting some used to but I promise, I will try my best to write my hardest. The plot is moving in a nice pace so far but the real drama hasn't begun yet, believe it or not. With the trust and determination of Ji Hong cementing on Jun Ki and Hye Jung, I wonder how will things go? As you can see, I am building up the friendship between JH & HJ slowly. They are two people who live in two different worlds - making a friendship is most important right now. But life as an undercover detective and a gangster is never easy, right? Once the romance does settle in, I want to make it believe so please be understanding if the pace is a bit slow. For those who are also wondering, the actor I have in mind for Lee Ki Woo - is gangster boss himself from the drama (: Anyways, I really hope you guys liked this chapter! Sorry for any mistakes!

REPLIES from Chapter Two:

@fancy_dazzle - aw, thank you so much for your comment! hehe, I have a lot of plans ahead for Young Gook and Seo Woo. Yoon Do's character hasn't shown up that much but I promise he will come soon!

@happybubble105 - ahh, thank you for the support! it really does mean alot! aha, the conversation between Hye Jung and Ji Hong is getting longer right? I hope you don't mind the pace of where they're heading towards to right now. They are slightly becoming closer, right? Danger?! (shy laugh) What do you ever mean?! I will try my best :P

@shiningarmourica - thank you so much for the comment! i'm glad to hear that you're excited about the story! (:

@crystsari - ahaha, i am so happy that I got your adrenaline rushing with this story! thriller mystery is more of my kind of genre to write so I am so happy to hear this comment!

@kimminseo_ - thank you so much for the comment! (:

@rinsen - i don't exactly know how many chapters this story will have but I hope you will stay till the end (: hmm, i woudn't say Ji Hong's character is as bright as he was in Doctors. But as you can see, he is sarcastic and sharp with his remarks in this one. thank you for the comment!

@rearubzbi20 - hehe, thank you for the comment! they are both engaged and in longtime relationships but this is a JIHYE fanfic so hmmmm...the romance will happen (:

@ritasimona2727 - ahhh, thank you for your comment! I love it when relationships start with a rocky path! and this story will definitely not shy away from it! so happy to hear that the last chapter got you curious on what I have in store for you all!

@Yashagome - I will try to post a new chapter every other day but I can't keep promises! thank you for your continuous support and comments, it really means alot! ahh, so happy you noticed that Ji Hong isn't taking excuses for the team! I am really trying to potray as someone who leads well and understands people the best. Sung Im is a bit demanding and scary, right? She has only appeared for a little bit so far but hehehe! Of course, I had to have Jung Pa Ran as the quirky and adorable self in this story! Ah, I answered the actor behind the character Lee Ki Woo as the actor himself, gangster boss (:

@Annalise93 - ahhh, I am so thrilled to at least brighten your day from the college life! aha, yes. I always write better when thriller or mystery is involved and for you guys, I want to write my best and give JiHye a new kind of style besides the drama that we all love. Ji Hong's interaction with Yoon Do has been very little but I promise Yoon Do will show up soon (: thank you so much for the continuous support and comments! brightens my own day all the time! (:

@estrelitacristino - wow! thank you so much for calling this story the whole package! i don't deserve such a beautiful comment like that but thank you so much!