Gala

Her Bodyguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The day had come. The day of the gala. Taeyeon sat on the chair, still as a log while the makeup artist painted her face. Tiffany had already brought her to a nail shop and gotten her nails painted. This would be the last stop before attending the gala but Taeyeon was already tired out and ready to go home. The gala was going to be a huge pain to endure.

“I’m ready.”

Taeyeon turned to the voice. Oh holy mama. Tiffany. Her eyes fixed on the woman wrapped in a form-fitting, wine-red, sleeveless dress of lace and all sorts of curves. The makeup on the woman’s face was simple but brought out the best in her features. And her silky black hair. Pulled back into a simple yet elegant ponytail, it brought understated class to plate as well.

“How do I look?” the woman asked, spinning around to present a full view of herself to Taeyeon.

Oh holy back. There it was again. Tiffany’s back. Memories of the night she saw Tiffany’s back in the mirror came flooding into her mind. Memories, all sorts of memories. Memories she didn’t want to remember. Memories she had tucked away in a corner of her mind.

“Why aren’t you saying anything? Do I look bad?”

Taeyeon shook her head. “No, you don’t look bad.”

“Well? What then?”

Meeting Tiffany’s twinkling eyes, Taeyeon smiled. “You look beautiful.”

Tiffany giggled. “Really?”

“Really.”

“Will I be the hottest woman at the gala?”

Smiling indulgently, Taeyeon replied, “I will be second to no one else but you.”

More giggles. “You sweet talker.” Then, her face straightened up. “You’re not trying to get out of something, are you?”

“No. I’m just being honest.”

Tiffany skipped to Taeyeon, much to the amusement of the stylists surrounding them, and took Taeyeon’s hand. “I can’t wait for tonight.”

Taeyeon winced at the thought. “I can’t wait.” For tonight to be over.

¤¤¤

Taeyeon arrived at the hotel with Tiffany, in a car driven by one of Mr. Hwang’s security personnel. Attending the gala as Tiffany’s friend meant that the door was opened for her by a valet. It was different. It would take a while to get used to.

“Ready?” asked Tiffany.

“Ready or not, I’m ready.”

Tiffany took Taeyeon’s hand. “Tonight, it’s my turn to protect you. Come on.”

With her hand in Tiffany’s, Taeyeon followed the woman she was supposed to protect into the hotel. The venue was full of people milling about, chatting over drinks and nuts. Taeyeon stayed by Tiffany’s side the entire time, smiling and talking only when necessary. When asked about her work, she smoothed over it, telling them she managed the security for Mr. Hwang’s company infrastructure. Most people nodded and moved on, as expected. Group after group, Tiffany led the way and covered a good quarter of the crowd. Then, it was time to find their seats.

Amidst the sea of tables in the ballroom, Taeyeon spotted the table they were assigned to and tugged on Tiffany’s hand.

“Over there.”

“Lead the way, partner,” said Tiffany, her voice softer and huskier than usual.

Maintaining the stoic expression on her face, Taeyeon simply walked to the table and took a seat. Tiffany took the seat beside her, wearing a mystifying grin on her face and looked around at the other tables. She educated Taeyeon about the people nearby until a couple joined their table. It was a husband and wife pair, the man being a member of the board of directors, and Tiffany introduced them to each other. Gradually, the table was filled and the dinner event started.

Taeyeon was bored out of her wits even before the opening address was done. How was she going to get through this gala?

“Bored already?” Tiffany whispered in her ear, sending a curious shiver through her head, down to her neck.

“I’m not here to be interested,” Taeyeon whispered back.

The grin spreading across Tiffany’s lips was devilish. “I have a plan.”

“What plan?”

“I brought a little bottle of something to help us get through all the speeches we’re gonna have to sit through tonight.”

Taeyeon didn’t like the sound of that. “Not a good plan.”

“You can’t stop me.”

Fixing a glare at Tiffany didn’t work. Taeyeon knew that once this spoilt Daddy’s girl got started on an idea, she wasn’t going to relent until it was realised. It was both an admirable and undesirable trait of hers. But in this case, more of the latter.

As the second address about altruism came to an end, Taeyeon grew more and more tensed. Tiffany was constantly casting winks in her direction, hinting at the devious plan she had in store ahead, and the last thing Taeyeon wanted was unnecessary trouble.

“My dear, what are you whispering to Miss Kim about?” asked Mr. Hwang.

Taeyeon smiled inwardly. Mr. Hwang would be a deterrent to Tiffany.

“Daddy, I’m bored. I wanna go out and take a walk.”

Mr. Hwang smiled. “Sure.” Taeyeon’s inner smile died an instant death. “Just make sure you bring Miss Kim

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter