The first mate

Peter Pan

‘The first mate’

Lee Sungmin, was the second in command in the ward Heechul ran. He was also the main doctor to Cho Kyuhyun. A boy who was placed here, only because he was too smart for the outside world. At least, that was what Kyuhyun always said. Truth was, he was placed there, because his family was ashamed by his behavior. Currently, he was busy watching Sungmin move around the room of his office searching for something.

“Hyung, you bore me with all this rushing about, what’s wrong now?” Kyuhyun asked as he watched his doctor rush about.

“I lost the gift from Saeun.” he panicked. Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. Sungmin had been dating the girl for over a year now, and were soon to tie the knot. Of course, that had not stopped Sungmin from Kyuhyun’s almost daily.

“Was it a collar?” Kyuhyun teased making the older look over with a tired scowl.

“Help me look for it, it’s a leather bracelet.” Sungmin ordered as he fell to his hands and knees to continue his search. Kyuhyun couldn’t stop himself, one moment he was in the chair, the next, he had his hands on the doctor's , making Sungmin freeze. Kyuhyun gave it a light squeeze before smirking.

“You know she doesn’t have a right? Can you still get off on that?” Kyuhyun asked as Sungmin pulled away, a look of annoyance on his face.

“If you are going to start this conversation again Kyuhyun, you can leave. I am marrying Saeun.” Sungmin stated. Kyuhyun didn’t let the heartbreak show in his face as he returned to his seat.

“It’s under your chair.” Kyuhyun stated boredly. Sungmin looked where the younger had indicated and smiled before placing it around his wrist and looking at his patient.

“I told you the other day, that our relationship was over Kyu.” Sungmin replied as he sat down and organized his many papers. Kyuhyun nodded his head. The day Leeteuk had come. That poor staff room would forever hold the bittersweet memory for him.

“You researched her, didn’t you.” Sungmin accused.

“And if I have?” Kyuhyun asked, looking over at his doctor. They held eye contact, that familiar urge to pounce flaring as Kyuhyun forced himself to remain calm. Sungmin sighed as he closed his eyes.

“Forget anything you found, and tell me nothing.” Sungmin replied making Kyuhyun raise a brow.

“Going in blind hyung?” Kyuhyun asked surprised. Sungmin was one to make sure his ducks fell in a row before doing something.

“I love her.” Sungmin replied. Love, Kyuhyun bit back his scoff. He read her file, and love was not an emotion he pinned her of knowing.

“Will you still be working here?” Kyuhyun asked, deciding on a safer topic for both himself and Sungmin. Sungmin only nodded his head as he began typing the papers into the computer.

“Will you please invest in a scanner please. You kill me with your old school ways.” Kyuhyun barked, annoyed by the steady typing the older did.

“I find it easier this way, it was how I learned.” Sungmin replied. Kyuhyun rolled his eyes before standing up and walking to the window.

“Yesung is ignoring Ryeowook.” he announced.

“Other doctors are available for him, Yesung is rather busy lately with other things. He is looking at a promotion soon.” Sungmin explained. Kyuhyun raised a brow at the news. There was little he didn’t know about.

“Ryeowook has fallen for him.” Kyuhyun continued, watching Sungmin through the reflection of the glass pane.

“You know how that works Kyuhyun.” it was a simple retort, but it stung nonetheless. Turning, he glared at the elder.

“Ryeowook doesn’t take rejection well hyung. You know his file, so don’t say I didn’t warn you when starts hitting the fan.” Kyuhyun snarled as he made for the door. He expected Sungmin to stop him, but as he entered the long empty hallway, and Sungmin’s door remained shut, he realized he was wrong for once. Locating a spot on the floor, he slid down against a wall and looked up at the ceiling. He vaguely wondered how it would be if he  ended his own life like Ryeowook had tried so many times before coming here. But, as he closed his eyes and pictured Sungmin, he couldn’t bring himself to hurt the man.

“Damn it.” Kyuhyun cursed, slamming his fist against the tiled floor. He didn’t dare hurt Sungmin, not when he knew his perfect wife would do that for him.

“Kyu?” Ryeowook called, appearing before him. Kyuhyun looked up at the older and smiled.

“Where’s Yesung hyung?” Kyuhyun asked curiously. It was rare for the patient to be alone without him during the day, of course lately, it was other doctors trailing after him.

“With Hyukjae.” the man replied. Kyuhyun nodded.

“Shall we go to the common room then? If Hae and Hyuk are together, chances are, they don’t want to be bothered.” Kyuhyun replied making the older nod his head. They arrived at the common room, Ryeowook quickly moving to play with the giraffes he had strewed around as Kyuhyun sat in a chair and began thinking again. He noticed Ryeowook look over at the door as it opened and Yesung entered with several other people. There was no other disturbance, until a while later, when the doors burst open and Donghae and Leeteuk entered the room, Leeteuk screaming of a revolt. Remembering to play along, Kyuhyun smiled as Donghae grabbed Ryeowook, following Leeteuk towards the roof exit. He gave a quick look to Ryeowook, the elder’s eyes vacant and his expression blank. A bad sign. They were discussing their plan on the roof, when they heard the door open. All eyes turned to the men at the door, and only knew the problem, when Yesung rushed forward screaming Ryeowook’s name. Everything was in slow motion as Kyuhyun turned to watch Yesung barely catch Ryeowook’s wrist as he now dangled over the hospital roofs edge. When time did catch up, Sungmin and the other doctors were pulling Ryeowook back onto the roof. The small group was ushered back inside and to their rooms. Kyuhyun waited for Ryeowook to return to their shared room, but when he didn’t, he began to worry.

The door finally did open, but it wasn’t Ryeowook who walked through.

“How is he?” Kyuhyun asked as Sungmin sat down beside him on the bed. Judging by the older’s face, it wasn’t good news.

“He got some good wounds from the fall, but damage control wise, it’s really up to Yesung and Ryeowook.” Sungmin admitted. Kyuhyun nodded, Ryeowook wasn’t one to forgive easily though.

“Promise me you won’t do that.” Sungmin suddenly whispered making Kyuhyun look over. The worry in Sungmin’s eyes, the fear that quivering leg held as it bounced up and down in anxiety. The doctor was honestly worried Kyuhyun would try and take his own life.

“I thought about it once,” Kyuhyun began, only to be cut off by Sungmin’s shrill desperate call of his name. The younger was momentarily stunned as Sungmin held him in a death grip.

“Only once hyung, then I realized it would be rather dumb to just die. You know I hate doing dumb things.” Kyuhyun smiled. Sungmin sniffled, it was rare that the hyung cried. Kyuhyun sighed as he held his elder, allowing him to cry on his shoulder.

“I’m sorry Sungmin hyung,” Kyuhyun whispered. Sungmin held him tighter before clearing his throat.

“Stay away from Park Leeteuk.” he ordered, his voice commanding making Kyuhyun obey instantly. Whatever happened after they had been ushered back to their rooms, had sealed whatever fate Peter Pan had made for himself.