Seeing Ghosts

The dark of the night

Chapter Three

Donghae hated seeing the casket close. As he was held by Siwon, he watched his friends lower his lover into the ground.

“He was a great man.” Siwon whispered. The words were meant for comfort, but it only brought Donghae more sorrow. Hyukjae was more than a great man, he was a wonderful man. A person who deserved better than the death he received.

“Come on hyung, let’s go home.” Kyuhyun said as he pulled Donghae from Siwon’s grasp. Sungmin was already getting the car pulled around. His brother refused to let Donghae stay alone while he went through this loss.

“Come on hyung,” Kyuhyun said as he aided Donghae into the backseat of the car. The ride was silent, Donghae sat alone with his thoughts haunting him. It scared him that just a few days ago, he had been with Hyukjae in his arms as they watched the sunset, and now, he was alone.

“Right Donghae?” Sungmin asked bringing Donghae back to the present.

“Sorry what?” Donghae asked. Sungmin glanced back at his younger brother through the rearview mirror.

“I was telling Kyuhyun about our childhood together and how Hyukjae was our neighbor.” Sungmin explained. Donghae nodded not really caring. What he wanted, was currently six feet under the topsoil they had just left. Once they arrived at the home, Donghae entered and went straight to the room he had been given.  Again, the silence was deafening to him. Donghae closed his eyes as he curled under the blankets. Soft muffled sobs escaped his lips as the night drifted on.

A week later, Donghae sat alone on the back porch waiting, as his brother and Kyuhyun left for work. His head was buried in his hands as he tried to focus on the face that swam behind his closed eyelids.

“Hae!” Hyukjae called, his smiling face wide before him. Tears fell from Donghae’s eyes.

“Come on, why are you crying this time?” Hyukjae asked as if he were next to the younger. Donghae continued to weep as he felt something touch his shoulder.

“Hyukkie?” Donghae whimpered, knowing he would seem crazy to any who walked pass him.

“Let’s go Hae,” Hyukjae laughed. Donghae wanted to follow, to never open his eyes again. Only behind his lids did he see the beauty that life had.

“Hae? Hae!”

Donghae opened his eyes to find Siwon looking at him in worry.

“Are you okay?” Siwon asked as he sat beside his friend. Donghae didn’t reply. He heard Siwon sigh before hearing an echoing laugh that resembled Hyukjae’s.

‘He’s at it again. Hitting on you.’ it was Hyukjae, standing right before them as if nothing happened. Donghae looked at him and smiled as he lunged for his lover.

“Hyukkie!” Donghae screamed as tears of joy fell from his eyes. Siwon watched confused as his friend hugged the potted plant on the porch. Walking over, Siwon placed a hand on Donghae’s shoulder.

“Hae?” Siwon asked. Donghae looked over with a smile.

“Look Wonnie, Hyukkie is here.” Donghae’s smile was as wide as ever. It was as if the past few weeks had not happened. Deciding to play along, Siwon smiled and greeted the missing friend. It killed him a little to see the man before him break down like this. He had buried and done the eulogy for this fallen friend, and Donghae had seemed to lose his mind by his lover’s sudden death.

Donghae smiled as he reached for Hyukjae’s hand, holding it tightly in his own hand. His Hyukkie was back before him.

Siwon didn’t know what to do as he watched his friend talk to air as if his lover stood there. It broke his heart on so many levels, and he was glad it was just him here to witness the break of his best friend.

“Let’s go inside okay?” Siwon suggested as he pulled Hae inside his brother’s home. Donghae tried to fight back, and it proved that some sanity remained subconsciously in his friend at the task. Once inside, as Donghae continued talked to air, Siwon contacted Sungmin.

Donghae was busy inside his own head. The image of his lover trapping him inside his own universe. Hyukkie was here now, he had never left. Donghae talked with the ghost as if nothing had happened, the last few weeks had been a horrid nightmare.

“How long has this been happening?” Sungmin asked, his voice low and sad. Kyuhyun placed a gentle hand on his lover’s shoulder. Siwon explained Donghae’s actions making Sungmin nod his head.

“We might not be able to keep him here. He needs medical attention.” Kyuhyun whispered. Sungmin nodded his head as he stood up. Siwon and Kyuhyun watched as the older paced the floor. Donghae was heard murmuring in the next room making the decision stand out to them. Finally, Sungmin paused and looked at his brother.

“Donghae, come here please.” Sungmin called, waiting for his brother to appear at his side. When the younger did appear, Sungmin hugged his brother and smiled.

“How is Hyukjae today?” it was a question he had always asked before, now seemed appropriate. Donghae smiled as he began telling of the conversation and plans the two had.

“Do the two of you want to go on an adventure?” Sungmin asked earning a bright smile on the younger’s face.

“Hear that Hyuk? Min’s going to take us on an adventure!” Donghae cheered. Sungmin smiled sadly as he watched his brother rush to gather his things. Kyuhyun looked over at his lover and patted his shoulder.

“It will be okay love, I promise.” Kyuhyun whispered as they heard Donghae chatter and gather his things. Sungmin nodded as he prepared to take his brother to the hospital Siwon had contacted for him.

Donghae smiled as he smiled at Hyukjae. Picking his things, he returned to his brother and his friends.

“Ready!” he cheered, smiling happily as Hyukjae stood silently beside him. Sungmin smiled as he motioned to his car. It would just be he and his brother. Hyukjae’s ghost though seemed like he may have to be included, he wasn’t sure. The drive to the hospital was filled with Donghae chatting happily with Hyukjae’s ghost. When they stopped, Sungmin closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

“Hae,” Sungmin whispered, his voice making the younger look over confused.

“Yeah hyung?” Donghae asked. Sungmin closed his eyes and tightened his hold on the steering wheel.

“Sungmin hyung?” Donghae repeated. Sungmin couldn’t look at his brother.

‘We are at the hospital.’ Hyukjae’s ghost whispered into Donghae’s ear.

“I love you Hae.” Sungmin whispered as he led his brother into the hospital and wrote the symptom he was being placed in for.

“Seeing Ghost.”