3. a nerf gun... really?

This Romance (z.hera x baekhyun)

Whistling, I turned to the classroom door. 

"Come out, he's gone."

The door slid open gently, "Really?" He looked left and right to make sure I was telling the truth. After that, he heaved a sigh of relief.

Curiously, I asked, "Why was he chasing you though?"

I saw his cheeks turn pink before he answered, "Ahh. Because I wouldn't lend him my Nerf Gun.."

My eyes twitched. One. Two. Three seconds. Honestly, I was waiting for him to break out in a huge grin and say "Just kidding!" but his face remained the same embarrassed look.

"What?! He chased you all over to the girl's school for a nerf gun?!"

He nodded shyly at me. Was this guy for real? That guy chased him for a nerf gun? How old is he, 5? Why does a freaking nerf gun matter so much to him?

"Anyways, what's your name?"

"... Yoon... Sun Woo..."

(side note: Yoon Sun Woo is the 9th prince Wang Won who conspired with Wang Yo to assasinate Wang Mu. aka the one that made Chaeryung add mercury into the Crown Prince's bath.)

I analysed his face.

"Okay. Yoon Sun Woo, I'll remember your face. You owe me."

(side note: a tiny reference from webtoon The Gamer)

I gestured him to stay still before walking around to make sure that there weren't any more teachers around.

"Go, the coast is clear."

He muttered a small thanks before scurrying on his way.

-

I have a tiny secret pleasure that most people around me don't know about, except my Father, of course. And that was sweets. So when I heard that a new candy store had opened downtown, I knew I had to check it out. After all, there's nothing better than a sweet treat after a tiring day and that was exactly what I had planned to do.

The melodic bell rang through the store as I pushed the glass door open.

"Welcome to- HyeRan?!"

I looked up from my book when I heard my name. To say I was shocked would be an understatement. Why? Because the person standing at the cashier, wearing an utterly girly pink frilly apron, would be the last person I'd expect at a candy store. And a worker, too. I couldn't help but laugh out loud at the sight.

"Cha-Chaeryung?!"

You see, the reason why this whole scene was hilarious was because Chaeryung had a reputation. According to the gossip, Chaeryung was filthy rich and had a, coughcough, y and mysterious aura. Which meant that she was not the kind to be working part-time at a colorful candy store downtown. But bam! Here she is, doing the one thing that no one could imagine her doing.

"If you tell anyone about it, I'll skin you alive."

"Yah, do you think you're in the position to threaten the person who is holding your social reputation at stake?"

Her eyes blinked in realization before changing her tone.

"HyeRan, please, do not tell anyone about it. Okay?"

I pretended to consider, even though I already had an answer.

"Okay, but you owe me."

You know, the reason why I let people owe me is because it helps when I need to save myself using my networks. For example, if I'm in need for financial support, I can call the wealthy people that owe me for support, it is a push-and-pull situation, I hold something against them and they need to fulfil something in return to be even. It is that simple. Usually, I don't pull out this card unless I really need it, I'm not that heartless. I'm just applying the skills of chess into my everyday life.

How I was taught, simply, but it is actually really useful.

Trying to keep a straight face, I went to the gummy section of the store and picked up a pack of assorted gummy bears. I passed the pack to Chaeryung, who checked it out silently.

"I didn't know the female warrior ate gummy bears."

"Well, you don't know a lot about me, don't you."

-

"I'm setting you up on a blind date."

My Father said that the moment I entered the house. It was a stupid idea, honestly, and I tried so hard to change his mind, because why do I even need a blind date for?

-

(2 hours ago)

My father was a very busy person, taking care of the president and all. Which means that I was surprised to see his shoes on the shoe rack outside our apartment.

They say that curiosity kills the cat, so I entered the house hastily and when I did, my father told me that he was setting me up on a blind date.

Indeed, I got killed. A blind date?! At this age and time?

"Dad, are you kidding me?"

He stared at me with his stoic expression.

"I'm still a high schooler. Why do I need to go on a blind date! It's not as if I need to get married or anything."

"Because, you have absolute 0 interest in boys. Normal girls at least have interest in idols or a boyfriend or two in high school but you're here just training and studying your whole life. Sure, you need to always be careful, but you should have a relationship life too."

I rolled my eyes. Boys? And who said that I have 0 interest in boys. I've been waiting for one boy for more than 10 years already. That has to count for something, right?

"Anyways. The male you're meeting is one of the sons of the President's circle. I had to get help from the First Lady to set this up so you better attend it."

I opened to retort back but my father's expression meant business.  Closing my mouth, I sighed and returned to my room.

-

A blind date? A son of a minister? I'll just meet him and reject him gently, I can do that, right?