Episode 3 - The Homeless Siblings

The Color of Arrogant Heart

Characters (From left to right): [CHOI FAMILY] Choi Pal Gang (means: Red) 24 years old, Choi Juhwang (means: Orange) 13 years old, Choi Norang (means: Yellow) 10 years old, Choi Chorok (means: Green) 6 years old, Choi Parang (means: Blue) 5 years old, Choi Nam Yi (means: baby blue)1 year old

Bang Yongguk(27) , Kim Himchan(27), Choi Junhong(22)

Episode 3

“What..?! What did you just said..?” Pal Gang hoped she heard wrong, she hoped it’s just a call prank. “No.. it’s not really happened, right? My parents can’t be..” her voice cracked, tears started falling from her eyes.

Juhwang approached his sister with worried and cautious look, “Why, Noona? What happen with Mom and Dad?”

Pal Gang’s mind was somewhere at the moment so she can’t really hear what Juhwang just asked, the person in the other line started talked about funeral cost and she just mindlessly said yes. She can’t think straight.

“Noona, what happen? Why are you crying?” asked Parang. Parang looked at his sister now-teary face and he started to crying himself.

Pal Gang put the phone back and turned to her siblings. She looked at their worried face, she just can’t bear I to see how their face would be if she told them. But it’s for the best. They should know that they can’t met their parents anymore.

“You guys, wear your coat and boots, we’re going somewhere.” Said Pal Gang ignoring their questions, she carried sleeping Nam Yi and turned to Juhwang, “Juhwang-ah, handed me the baby carrier.”

“Why, Noona? Why so suddenly?” asked Juhwang again, confused why his sister behave so differently in a matter of minute. “What happened? Where are we going?”

“You guys will know later.” Replied Pal Gang.

*~*~*~*


Pal Gang just lifelessly sat while looking at her parent’s smiling face in the frame in fron of her. In her lap, Nam Yi was sleeping soundly like nothing was happened. Palgang's eyes were just empty. She doesn’t know why she can’t cry, she can’t speak anything either. She felt all her energy suddenly leave her body.

“Parang-ah, come on wear this clothes.” Said Nahyun, try to make Parang wear the black suit. 

“I don’t want to! I don’t want to! Why do I have to wear that?” cried Parang.

“Ya! Can’t you just wear that?!” Juhwang yelled to Parang.

“I don’t want to! Why should I wear that?”

Juhwang just felt so angry to his maudlin little brother. “Because mom and dad are already dead! You got your answer now, so just wear it!”

“Juhwang-ah, don’t be like that!” Nahyun looked at Juhwang, “Parang is still young, you should understand him. He can’t understand this as easily as you.”

“He should realize that our condition won’t be the same anymore!" Juhwang turned to Parang and glared. “So just wear the clothes fast before I hit you.”

“Juhwang-ah!" Nahyun turned to Parang, whose now his face was pale after got yelled by Juhwang. "Come on, Parang-ah, let’s wear this, okay?” Parang slowly willing to wear the uniform.

Nahyun turned to the sisters, “How are you Chorok-ah? Norang-ah? Can you tie the hanbok ribbon?”

Norang’s eyes are swollen because of crying but she nodded slowly as the answer. Nahyun approached her and helped her tied the black hanbok ribbon (I don’t know what its called). After she'd done helping Norang and Chorok, Nahyun turned to looked her lifeless best friend in front of the altar.

She sighed, “How can such an unfortunate thing like this happen to my cheerful best friend? I’m afraid I can’t see her cheerful face again.”

*~*~*~*~*

The next morning, all six remaining members of Choi family are standing in the gravesite along with Pal Gang’s bestfriend, Nahyun. Pal Gang still has the lifeless expression on her face. Her eyes stared at her mom’s and dad’s face in the photo. She felt hurt her everytime she breaths.

“After this, we can’t see mom and dad anymore?” asked Parang cracked the silent.

Juhwang turned to Parang with angry eyes, “Ya! I told you that mom and dad are already dead! How many times I should tell you that?!”

“Stop it, Juhwang-ah..” Nahyun said. “Parang is still young. Don't be too harsh on him.”

“But should I told him everyday that he can’t see mom and dad again because they’re already dead?!” Juhwang shouted.

With that, Parang started crying out loud, so does Chorok and Norang.

Juhwang maybe still young, but he acted so mature for his age. As soon as he know that his parents are dead, he didn’t even let his tears fall for once. He acted like he’s strong but deep inside he really wants to cry like Parang.

Pal Gang suddenly sighed and turned to Nahyun. “Nahyun-ah, thank you. Because of me, you didn’t come home yesterday.”

Nahyun shook her head, “No.. It’s okay, Palgang-ah.”

“But you can go home now.”

Nahyun sighed, "Aigoo, Palgang-ah.." Nahyun scooted closer to her and hugged Palgang. "Be strong, my bestfriend." she said.

Palgang take a deep breath to prevent her tears to falling. "Thank you, Nahyun-ah."

Nahyun broke her hug and looked at Palgang. "My parents said to send you their condolences, they apologized they can't come because they're out of town."

Palgang nodded, "It's okay, and thank you."

"Then.. I'll be going first." Nahyun said.

Palgang nodded again. "Sure, be careful."

"Tell me if you need anything, ok?" Nahyun said, she looked at the sleeping NamYi in Palgang's hands. "Bye, NamYi." She then turned to Palgang's other siblings. "I'll be leaving first, guys."

Juhwang nodded, "Thank you, Nahyun Noona."

Nahyun nodded and started walking away from the gravesite.
Pal Gang sighed and looked down at Nam Yi who’s already woke up. “Are you hungry, Nam-ah?” asked Palgang weakly. She even can’t make a cute voice when talking to Nam Yi. “Let’s go home and make some milk for you.”

Palgang turned to her other siblings. “You guys are hungry too, right? You didn’t get to eat dinner last night.” Parang answered her with a nod. “Let’s go home..”

Palgang and her little siblings are walking towards their home when they see some workers taking things out from their house. Palgang widened her eyes and walked faster.

“Ahjussi, what do you think you’re doing?!” asked Palgang.

One of the workers looked at Palgang and answered her. “We’re trying to emptying this house ofcourse.”

“Why? This is our house!” said Juhwang.

The ahjussi widened his eyes, “You are the occupant of this building?”

“Yes, we are!” answered Juhwang.

“But the building owner said he wants to get rid of this building, look at this certificate.” The ahjussi let out the envelope from his vest and showed it to Palgang.

Palgang read it and her face started to pale. Norang looked at her worriedly, “Eonni.. what are we going to do?”

Palgang looked at the ahjussi. “Please do your work.”

“Noona!” said Juhwang.

“Guys, let’s go get some eat.” Palgang started to walk away.

“Noona! Where are you going? Are you gonna just give away our house like that?” said Juhwang.

“You see the certificate, we can’t do anything about it.” Answered Palgang.

“So we have no house then?”

Palgang stopped from walking and looked at Juhwang. “I will try to find a way, now, let’s just eat. You guys must be hungry, right?”

“Is our stomach more important than our home?” Juhwang asked angrily.

“Juhwang-ah,” called Palgang. “Let’s just listened what I said this time. We will try to look for money in the evening so let’s get for some energy, eo?”

*~*~*~*

“No.”

“No.”

“Do you think my customer will be in comfort seeing you working while carrying a bunch of kids? No.”

“Kids not allowed here.”

“You bring too many kids.”

“Baby is too noisy.”

“No.”

“No.”

It’s night already. Pal Gang and her little siblings are trying to find some money but every place just rejected them with just one look. Pal Gang looked at her little siblings who are tired, cold, and hungry for the whole day.

Pal Gang sighs. “Guys, let’s just done for today.” She said. “Let’s get some sleep.”

Chorok looked at Pal Gang while sniffs. “But.. our house is taken, Eonni.. where should we going?”

“Mm.. first, we go to our house to bring our clothes and important belongings. Then, let’s go find a sauna for us to sleep tonight, got it?”

After they take some of their belongings, Pal Gang and her little siblings headed to the nearest sauna to clean themselves and spent the night.

Pal Gang looked at her reflection on the mirror after she finished clean herself up. She looked into her long beautiful hair that she grown up to look pretty. Now, she has no desire to pretty herself up anymore, to even wear beautiful outfit or anything. The important thing to do now is food and place for her siblings.

Pal Gang took the scissors from her bag and started to cut her long hair until it was only above the shoulder.

“Choi Pal Gang.” She called her new self at the mirror. “Now, you are not an Eonni or Noona anymore. Now, you are Eomma.”

*~*~*~*~*

Nam Yi was crying because he’s hungry. Since the other are cleaning theirselves up, Pal Gang taking care of little Nam Yi alone.

“Shh.. shh.. don’t cry. I’ll make milk for you.” Pal Gang took the formula box and see there was only some left inside. She stared at it for a while. “If it like this how I was gonna feed you for the next day, Nam Yi-ah..” she hold her tears. “How can I gonna save my brothers..”

The days are continue and Pal Gang money are getting smaller. Pal Gang doesn’t know what to do anymore. Nam Yi’s formula is run out, and they might can’t eat anymore. Suddenly Pal Gang has a wild idea in her head, she knows she will lose her pride if she do it, but… now the condition is urgent.

She took her phone out and called someone. “Hello, Nahyun-ah?”
Pal Gang heard Nahyun’s voice from the other line. “Oh, Pal Gang-ah? What’s going on?”

“I’m sorry, but.. can you take care of my siblings for today? Only today! I have something that I need to take care of but I can’t take them with me.”

“Sure, you can! Fortunately the land lady was out for today. I think they can stay here for a while.” Nahyun answered from the other line and Pal Gang was relieved. “Where are you now?”

“Uh.. I’m in front of your house already..” Palgang answered, she looked to Nahyun’s room window was opened after she said that. Pal Gang waved after Nahyun’s head was on the view.

“You knew that I’ll say yes, right?” said Nahyun from the window.
Pal Gang nodded. “Yeah! Once I heard that your land lady is away I call you in instant.”

Nahyun chuckles, “This little.. okay, hold up. I will open the door for you guys.”

***

“Come on in, you guys..” said Nahyun as soon as she opened the door.

“Thank you, Nahyun-ah.” Pal Gang hugged her.

“I wish I can take you guys to stay with me but my land lady doesn’t really fond of kids so I can’t do anything.” Nahyun pat Pal Gang’s back. “Where are you going these days? I was so worried when I came to your house and see there was nothing left!”

“That’s why I need your help now.. I’ll try to go to the boutique and ask for early payment.” Pal Gang said. “I run out of money and I can’t buy formula for Nam Yi.” She pointed at sleeping Nam Yi on her back.

“Oh! Speaking of Nam Yi..” Nahyun said and suddenly run into her room. Pal Gang looked confused while releasing Nam Yi from her back and put him on the couch. “Here.” Nahyun came out and gave her a big plastic bag.

“What’s this?” Pal Gang asked while took it.

“When I came to your house and see nothing was left I became so worried about your siblings especially little Nam Yi." She looked at Nam Yi that now sleeping on the couch. "Baby formula are so expensive these days so.. I bought some for Nam Yi and I will give it when I meet you. But I can’t contact you for days and thank god you came now!” Nahyun said.

“Nahyun-ah..” Pal Gang started getting teary. “You are my best best friend ever!”

“It’s okay.. I’m sorry I just can help you with this..” Nahyun pat Pal Gang’s back.

Pal Gang sniffed and stand up. “Good, now If I can get the money, my brothers and sisters can eat something good!” she raised both of her fists to the air then turned to Nahyun. “Nahyun-ah, my siblings is on your care.”

Nahyun nodded and raised her fist also. “Fighting, Choi Pal Gang!”