Feelings of Discontentment

Wandering
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Her Thoughts

I flinch at the sound of a locker slamming. It is noisy in the hallways, the students rushing to get to their next class. I walk slowly, imagining what would happen if I decided to push everyone out of my way to get to the room. But instead, I stay next to the wall, using my hand as a guide while I looked down. I reach my next class with a minute to spare.

Taking my books out, I lay my supplies out and take out my homework to work on. My phone buzzes. I look down.

 

Don’t forget to be home. We need to talk – Dad

 

I slam my head against my books and groan silently.

“Hey, are you okay?”

She looks at me curiously. I gaze at her. She plays with her fingers, feeling uncomfortable.

No. I’m really not.

“Yes, I’m fine,” I smile. She nods and goes back to what she was doing. I take a deep breath and try to keep myself from falling asleep. Falling into something other than reality.

“Jay, you’re home?”

“Yes.”

‘Do you think can watch over your younger brothers while I’m out? I have to go somewhere.”

 “Sure.”

“Okay then! Thanks! Be nice to them!”

She runs out of the door. I set my bag down and walk towards my brother’s room. They watch an animated film, laughing every so often. Shaking my head, I go up the stairs to my room. The door closes. The room is basic, with a bed, a desk, drawers, and... A piano. I run my hands over it, but frown when I touch the thick layer of dust. The sun shines through the transparent sheet as I wipe the wood and strings. The keys squeak and whine from misuse.

I smile and close the cover. Then I sit down, but get as soon as I hear my brothers shouting and fighting.

“Hey! Stop fighting!”

I open the door roughly, feeling satisfaction when they jump. As nine and eleven year olds, they are rambunctious and stubborn, refusing to do anything unless you forcefully push them.

“Why do you care?”

“I’m trying to study!”

“Well, we’re trying to watch a movie, so pipe down yourself!”

We glare at each other, fighting for dominance.

“Whatever, go study. Let us just watch quietly.”

I smirk triumphantly and turn to leave, when I realize something.

“Hey you’re not supposed to be on any electronic device! It’s a week day!”

“You know you have to be serious right? This is your junior year now. You had bombed your freshman year, and barely scraped by in tenth gr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter