First Meeting

Baking Blues
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a cold winter day; everyone was wearing thick coats and mufflers to protect themselves from the cold. As the cold wind blew against one another harshly, shudders could be seen and felt as they suffered from the extremely chilly weather. While everyone was dealing with the horrid winds and snowing; a tall, tanned architect was no exception from the unfortunate weather.

“Hello?”

“Yul, there is a new assignment for you.”

Yuri sighed and took out her notebook from the pocket in her trench coat, “give me a minute.” Yuri knew she was a highly sought-after architect but it was difficult to manage her appointments every now and then, “okay, give me the details, Yoong.” Yuri continued walking as she took down some notes regarding her new assignment, not even realizing she was now standing in front of one of the most famous cafés in Jeonju,

“See you at the office. I’m going to grab a bite first.”

The door swung open when Yuri was within a 10cm diameter of the door, giving Yuri a little bit of a shock when the door almost hit her face. Yuri regained her senses when she heard a soft giggle come from the aromatic interior, her cheeks immediately turning pink at how embarrasing she was. Maybe this was the reason why her friends always covered their faces when they were out together. 

“Hey there! Can I get you something?”

Yuri couldn’t help but smile at the bubbly waitress standing in front of her and her eyes went to the name tag pinned to her white shirt, Tiffany – nice name. Yuri rubbed the back of her neck and smiled sheepishly at the pretty waitress in front of her, “preferably a table nearer the corner? I have some work to finish up.” Yuri watched as the waitress pull her by the sleeve towards a slightly isolated table beside the window.

“Here’s the menu,” Tiffany smiled kindly at Yuri and placed the menu in front of Yuri, “have a look at it and call for me when you’ve decided on what to order.”

Tiffany bounced happily into the kitchen as she hummed a song to herself, ignoring the couple of groans coming from the baker as well as the barista; her friends loved to disturb her for being in such a good mood all day every day so it was no longer an issue to her. Her good friends were already used to her behaviour and she liked to be extra smiley and bouncy to irritate them. 

“Seriously, people would have no qualms thinking that you’re a nutcase if you continue behaving like this, Fany.”  

“Shut up, Sooyoung!” Tiffany threw a handful of flour at the giant baker and turned to the other baker, “TaeTae, is the red velvet cake ready? It’s almost time for Miss Lee to come and collect it; she has such high expectations of our bakery here and I don't want her to be disappointed in any way.”

Taeyeon gently ran the spatula along the rims of the gorgeously coloured red of the small slice, smoothening the syrup. “give me about two minutes. You can go and entertain her first since we all know you have the hots for her.” Taeyeon said and her eyes reflexively zoomed in on the corners of the slice; she placed a bag of small almonds over a fork and gently sprinkled some over the top the way their customer liked it. 

With a small huff and stomping of feet, Tiffany left the kitchen and instantly caught sight of the tanned woman trying to get her attention. She giggled and quickly jogged over to the table, holding her notepad, “so what have you decided on?” she almost dropped her notepad and pen when she saw the customer pout at her.

Yuri pouted unconsciously, looking up at Tiffany, “I’m not sure since I’ve only been here once but… could you give a couple of recommendations?”

Tiffany nodded, placing her notepad on the table as she pulled the menu to herself a little more, “I would recommend either the oreo cheesecake or the brain cake that was made in preparation for Halloween!” She almost laughed in Yuri's face when she realized how shocked the latter was at the second dessert she had suggested, “don’t worry, it’s delicious. I know it sounds disgusting but it tastes like paradise.” 

Yuri agreed and watched as the abnormally excited waitress skip towards the counter where a rather elegant lady was standing, apparently waiting for someone or something. She shook her head, silently admiring Tiffany for enjoying her job this much when there was a high chance of getting difficult customers who could be real s sometimes. 

“Kwon Yuri?” 

That sounds so much like…

“Yah! Kwon Yul!”

Sunny Lee.

The architect turned around and came face to face with the elegant woman at the counter earlier. Yuri's jaw dropped as the woman sat opposite her with a gummy smile, “wow… look at you, Sunkyu!” Sunny just shrugged and rested her frame on her arms, staring at the tanned woman in front of her, “speak for yourself, Yuri. You look wonderfully handsome.” 

Sunny and Yuri had lost contact though they were really really close back in high school; Yuri had moved to Jeonju while Sunny remained in Seoul and being the idiot Yuri could be sometimes, she dropped her phone into the toilet bowl and never managed to recover some of her contacts; Sunny was one of them. 

“Anyway…” Yuri’s voice trailed off as she looked around the area to see if the waitress was near them, “the cute waitress is your girlfriend?”

Sunny’s cheeks flushed even though she denied it profusely, shaking her head and her hands wildly to convince Yuri; though the latter was obviously not convinced at all – Yuri was a sharp one. Be it whether they were in high school or not, Yuri could always tell whether she was telling the truth or not... probably because Yuri couldn't lie very well either.

Yuri chuckled and took a sip o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter