Two

Shy Boy

After the soccer game against Two Moon Prep, Minho began to hang around Jonghyun more often. They were never alone, but Minho didn't mind. They mostly walked to classes together, and he and Chansung frequently stopped by the baking club at the end of the school day. The soccer season was over, and they certainly took it upon themselves to indulge. Minho was mostly there to watch Jonghyun – the way Jonghyun's hands looked when he kneaded bread dough; the cute way his brow would furrow when he was measuring; the way he would blush and smile when he noticed Minho's eyes on him. The treats were just a bonus. Especially when Jonghyun learned Minho loved anything chocolate and began focusing his skill set on the particular avenue of baking. He and Chansung volunteered to help whenever they could, although Minho wasn't sure what they could really do beyond heavy lifting and setting up at bake sales. The club members seemed to appreciate the offer anyway.

“They just want to see you guys shirtless,” Kyungsoo said.

“I'm fine with that,” Chansung replied with a wink.

“My torso is for Jonghyun's eyes only,” Minho said.

Chansung shot him a look before rolling his eyes. Jonghyun blushed and hid a giggle behind his hand.

 

 

Jonghyun didn't have a cell phone, so they couldn't talk or text after school hours. So Minho went the old-fashioned route and wrote Jonghyun notes instead. They didn't have any classes together, so the notes were passed back and forth in between. Minho's started off short with some lame pleasantries that soon branched out to soccer, video games, and his annoying little sister. Jonghyun's notes were short, but he asked a lot of questions. He seemed a bit shy at first, not knowing anything about what Minho wrote about. But Minho loved having someone interested in what he liked, and he responded enthusiastically to Jonghyun's questions and trying to remember to ask some of his own so he didn't come off as self-centered.

 

 

Jonghyun didn't really answer many of Minho's questions, beyond the basics- food; hobbies; favorite colors. Instead he asked Minho more questions and filled his notes with drawings- doodles, chibis, intricate sketching. Minho felt these told him more about Jonghyun than the boy's own words. If he was happy and cheerful, cartoons and chibis filled the pages. If Jonghyun was down, abstract doodles could be found just below his signature, almost as an afterthought.

 

 

Mostly they hung out at school. If they ventured away, Chansung was always with them. Sometimes Kyungsoo too (Chansung seemed to enjoy those days best). They would go to an arcade, or the diner, or Minho's house, or Kyungsoo's. But not Jonghyun's. Never Jonghyun's. Chansung never told, but rather hinted that Jonghyun's home life wasn't the best.

 

 


It was a Friday afternoon, and they were all going out to eat. Jonghyun was spending the night at Chansung's, so they could stay out a little bit later than usual. It was enough to have Minho in a good mood all day. When classes were over, he stopped by his locker one final time before heading off to find Jonghyun. He came upon a group of girls who looked angry, and it looked like they were pushing someone around. When he got closer, he heard a familiar voice in distress.

“Please,” Jonghyun whimpered. “Please leave me alone.” He was clutching his books and was hunched over, trying to make himself small.

“What's going on?” Minho demanded harshly.

The girls whirled around. “We're just reminding Jonghyun of his place,” one of the girls replied confidently, pushing Jonghyun's books out of his hands and onto the floor.

Minho's eyes flickered over to Jonghyun, but the object of his affection refused to meet his eyes. He even remained in the same, curled in pose. “What place is that?”

“He's poor,” another girl spat viciously. “He shouldn't even dream of spending time with you.”

“Oh yeah? Who says?”

The girls were suddenly silent. They shifted uneasily, sending each other uncertain glances.

Minho moved through them, standing protectively in front of Jonghyun. “Who said any of you get to decide who I spend my time with?”

Silence. Behind Minho, Jonghyun trembled.

“Jonghyun is a thousand times better than any of you,” Minho growled. “You're all bullies and you make me sick.”

The girls gasped. A few had the decency to look ashamed.

“Get out of my sight.”

The group didn't need to be told twice. They scattered like roaches, Minho's words poison in their ears, his eyes burning into their backs.

 

 

When the hall was empty again, Minho let out a deep breath before turning to Jonghyun.

“Jong? Are you okay?”

Jonghyun only nodded.

Minho took off his letterman jacket and wrapped it around Jonghyun's shoulders before pulling the smaller boy into his arms. Jonghyun sighed and held Minho tightly. The athlete rested his head on Jonghyun's, breathing deeply. They stayed like that for some time, until the sound of someone clearing their throat startled them.

 

 

Chansung was standing before them, arms crossed, a serious look on his face. Kyungsoo stood next to them, looking slightly curious.

Minho was a little nervous- Chansung was really protective of Jonghyun- but Jonghyun was still in his arms so Minho didn't freak out too much.

“Everything alright?” Chansung asked.

Jonghyun nodded and smiled brightly. “Minho gives fantastic hugs!”

The taller boy chuckled and squeezed Jonghyun a little tighter.

Chansung studied them for a moment longer before nodding. “You guys ready to go?”

Jonghyun nodded again and released Minho. Jonghyun began to remove Minho's letterman jacket, but Minho stopped him. “Keep it.”

Jonghyun's eyes widened. “I can't!”

Minho shrugged. “Sure you can.”

“You'll get cold!”

“Nah. My grandma bought me a wool peacoat for an early Christmas present, because she'll be out of the country.”

Jonghyun bit his lip, looking uncertain. “But it has your name on it. People will know it's yours.”

Minho smiled warmly. “I know.”

Jonghyun's blush deepened. “Okay,” he said softly. He slid his arms into the sleeves, and picked up his books.

“You look cute in Minho's jacket, Jong,” Kyungsoo piped up.

Minho was blown away by Jonghyun's answering smile. He held his hand out to Jonghyun, smiling when the boy slid their fingers together.