Three

Shy Boy

The weather was turning chilly. Minho loved it- the fresh, crisp air and the changing leaves. His favorite season was autumn, and his favorite holiday was Halloween. But this year was better than all the others because Jonghyun was wearing his jacket. It was too big and made Jonghyun look even tinier. It kicked Minho's protective instincts into overdrive. He tried not to crowd his little baker, but he still waited for him in the mornings and walked him to classes. They weren't boyfriends- yet- but they held hands a lot. It made Jonghyun blush, which Minho loved. They hugged a lot, too, and sometimes Minho would kiss Jonghyun's fingers. He noticed Chansung watching them from time to time, and had a feeling a talk would be coming soon. Minho understood- if he were in Chansung's position he wouldn't want just anyone coming around Jonghyun. Hopefully, Chansung would think he was worthy of the small boy they both adored. And maybe if Jonghyun could be convinced, then Chansung could be convinced.

 

 

It was a Friday afternoon when Chansung came jogging up to him.

“Hey, man. I need a favor from you.”

“Sure,” Minho replied, slamming his locker shut.

“Can you drive Jonghyun home this afternoon?”

Minho stared.

Chansung rubbed the back of his neck and actually blushed. “The thing is... I have a date with Kyungsoo. A just-the-two-of-us date. And you're the only one I can trust to make sure Jonghyun is safe.”

Minho swallowed. Chansung was allowing him to be alone with Jonghyun. Chansung knew he was trustworthy. Minho puffed up. “Of course. I'll take good care of Jonghyun.”

Chansung studied him, then sighed. “I know you will. Take him to Lulu's on Seventh. He loves that place.”

A bakery. Of course he does. Minho nodded.

“Thanks man. I owe you.”

Minho just waved him off. If anything, he'd be owing Chansung a favor.

 

 

 

Minho met up with Chansung and Jonghyun at the end of the school day. Chansung was speaking softly to Jonghyun, his hands on the junior's shoulders. Jonghyun was biting his lip and looking a little distressed. Minho's heart clenched. He hated that Jonghyun looked lost- and maybe felt unsafe with Minho.

Chansung spotted him and waved him over, wrapping an arm around Jonghyun's shoulder. “Thanks for this, you guys.”

Minho smiled. “Of course, man.”

Jonghyun looked up at Minho and blushed before looking away again.

“It's okay, Jongie,” Chansung said softly. “Minho's safe. I wouldn't let him take you home alone otherwise.”

“I know,” Jonghyun murmured in reply, scuffing his shoe.

Kyungsoo came out of the building at that moment, and Chansung blushed, which made Jonghyun giggle. Chansung pouted at him before grinning.

“Jong is staying with us this weekend, so he can be out late,” The lanky athlete said. He ruffled Jonghyun's hair and winked before turning and walking over to Kyungsoo.

Minho turned to Jonghyun, who was staring at his shoes, and held out his arm. “Shall we?”

Jonghyun hesitated, and Minho waited patiently while he made his decision. Jonghyun finally took Minho's arm and they headed towards Minho's car.

 

 

The drive to Lulu's was fairly quiet. Minho asked Jonghyun a few questions about his day, but Jonghyun was a mix of nerves and shyness so Minho let them ride in silence. It was a beautiful day- crisp air, sunny sky, and Jonghyun in his passenger seat.

Jonghyun lit up when they parked right in front of the bakery. “How did you know?”

“I happen to know everything about you,” Minho winked.

“Chansung told you?”

Minho pouted, but smiled when Jonghyun laughed delightedly as he got out of the car.

 

 

The woman behind the counter waved brightly. “Jonghyun, hi!”

Jonghyun smiled back. “Hi Hyori.”

She looked at Minho. “Who's your friend?”

Jonghyun blushed and smiled warmly up at Minho. “This is Minho.”

Minho's chest tightened as he smiled back. He was so toast.

“Hi,” he said to Hyori when he finally managed to drag his eyes from his crush.

“Hello,” she replied. “And where is Chansung this afternoon?”

“He has a date with Kyungsoo!” Jonghyun replied happily.

“Finally!” Hyori leaned her elbows on the counter and rested her chin on them, looking like a young girl. “He's been talking about that boy forever it seems like.”

Jonghyun giggled. “He asked Minho to take me home. They're on the soccer team together.”

Hyori studied Minho for a moment before nodding. “And what will you boys have?”

“Jonghyun, what do you recommend?” Minho asked.

Jonghyun bit his lip and studied the pastry cases. “I'd say that with your love of chocolate and healthy things, you should try the double chocolate cherry brownies.”

“Healthy chocolate?” Minho teased.

“Chocolate is healthy! It's good for endorphins!” Jonghyun insisted. “Cherries are good for physical health and chocolate is good for mental health.”

Minho laughed. “I'm convinced. You're a bad influence.”

Jonghyun stuck his tongue out.

 

 

They settled at a booth by the window. It wasn't too long before Hyori brought their treats out.

“Jonghyun, I forgot to ask. How would you like to work here twice a week?”

Jonghyun perked up, eyes sparkling. “Really?”

“Sure. Business is doing well. I'm thinking Saturdays and Sundays, six am to noon. You can help me prep and bake before we open.”

Jonghyun nodded enthusiastically.

“But you have to keep your grades up,” Hyori warned. “It's only twelve hours a week, and only on the weekends. I'll pay you eight dollars an hour, and we can split tips. If it works out, I'll give you extra hours on school vacations.”

Jonghyun's face was as bright as the sun. Minho was so genuinely happy for him. When Hyori left them with a wink, Jonghyun pressed his hands to his face. “Can you believe it? I'll be able to help bake!”

“Think of all the new things you'll learn,” Minho replied.

“Hyori's so nice,” Jonghyun bit his lip. “I can't believe it.”

“My mom has always wanted to come here. Now I have an excuse to bring her.”

Jonghyun blushed.

 

 

They left after a couple of hours, but only once Minho got some treats to go. Jonghyun wouldn't say what his favorites were so Minho asked Hyori. She handed over their boxes with a wink.

“What now?” Jonghyun asked shyly.

“How about the park?” Minho suggested. “We can feed the koi and watch the sunset.”

The pink on Jonghyun's face matched the pink in the sky and Minho really had no idea when he became so sappy.

 

 

They fed the fish and drank hot chocolate Minho bought from a vendor.

“This has been the most perfect day,” Jonghyun said softly. They were sitting at a picnic table, watching the sun go down.

Minho smiled. “Yeah, it has,” he agreed. Then he turned to Jonghyun. “But I can think of something to make it even more perfect.” Slowly, so that Jonghyun could pull away if he wanted to, Minho leaned forward and gently pressed his lips to Jonghyun's. Jonghyun sighed and kissed back. Minho cupped Jonghyun's cheek and deepened the kiss.

 

 

He pulled away when he felt Jonghyun shiver. Tucking the upperclassman into his side, Minho guided their steps to the car in the darkening evening.

“So,” Minho began nervously. “Will you be my boyfriend?”

Jonghyun smiled radiantly. “Yes.”

Minho let out a whoop and swung Jonghyun around.

 

 

“Wait, what about Chansung?”

Jonghyun smiled. “He'll learn to love it.”