One

Shy Boy

Choi Minho was a popular guy. He had good looks and brains, and was the captain of the soccer team. People frequently said hi to him in the hallways at school, even when he didn't know who they were. He studied hard and made top of the class. He respected his teachers and tried to be nice to everyone he came across: jocks, nerds, and everyone in between.

 

 

There were a few people vying to date him. Although they were nice and conventionally attractive, ultimately they were boring. Each was a cookie cutter copy of the last one. He did his best to be polite and not lead anyone on, though.

 

 

There was one young man who had managed to catch his eye more than the others, though: Kim Jonghyun, the best friend of Minho's teammate, Chansung. Jonghyun was tiny, short, with kind eyes and a warm smile. Chansung talked about his childhood friend constantly, and Minho could admit to himself that he was a little smitten. He briefly considered the idea Chansung might be biased towards Jonghyun, but dismissed it just as quickly Chansung may be enthusiastic in his affection, but it was always genuine.

 

 

He caught Jonghyun's eye from time to time and smiled, causing the smaller boy to blush furiously and hug his books closer to his chest. Minho was always left with a fluttering heart.

 

 

When the soccer game against Two Moon Prep rolled around, Minho learned the baking club was holding a bake sale at the same time. He was over the moon- he loved sweets, and Jonghyun would be there. That's when Minho knew he would be playing his absolute best not for glory or for the team or for the school, but for Jonghyun. There was no one else Minho wanted to impress. Just Jonghyun in his pink tee shirt and red suspenders and hat. He was so small, and all Minho wanted to do was hold him forever and keep him safe.

 

 

He was about to chastise himself for being schmoopy when he saw Jonghyun smile. Minho's heart fluttered and he knew then that sentimental or not, those feelings were genuine.

 

 

The game was fierce and well-played. Minho was lucky enough to score the winning kick. The crowd thundered as he and Chansung ripped their jerseys off and collided in a sweaty dog pile. Their other teammates soon joined them, and Minho was pretty sure Coach was crying.

“That was amazing!” Chansung yanked him up from the ground. “Let's go see if the baking club has any goodies left. I'm hungry.”

“Good call. I need a healthy dose of chocolate. And you need a healthy dose of Kyungsoo.”

Chansung pushed him away but Minho caught him blushing.

 

 

Approaching the table, Minho spotted Chansung's crush Kyungsoo chatting happily with Xiumin, the soccer captain for Two Moon Prep. Chansung faltered and redirected his course towards Jonghyun. Minho hung back, scanning the tables for even the tiniest morsel.

 

 

Nothing. This was no way to celebrate a hard won victory. Seeing Chansung talk to Jonghyun gave Minho an idea. Taking a deep breath, he walked up behind Chansung and put his chin on his shoulder. “Hey Sung. This your friend you told me about?”

Jonghyun's eyes widened before dropping to his shoes. He was blushing beautifully.

“It is,” Chansung replied. “Minho, this is my best friend Jonghyun. Jongie, this is Minho, teammate and second close friend.”

“But don't worry,” Minho replied. “I'll always be second. Nothing compares to you.” He winked.

Chansung arched an eyebrow as if to say, “Seriously?” and Minho cringed. Undaunted, he continued on with his plan.

“I was thinking we should get burgers and shakes for our victory. What do you think?” He noticed Kyungsoo saying goodbye to Xiumin and sidling over. “What do you think, Kyungsoo? Victory burgers and shakes?”

Chansung straightened quickly, and Kyungsoo's eyes shifted over to him.

“That sounds good,” he shrugged.

“I, uh, spent all my money on lunch,” Jonghyun said softly.

“No worries,” Minho said. “I got it.”

“Oh, no, I-”

“It's okay,” Minho smiled softly. He loved making Jonghyun blush. It was the most beautiful sight. Minho swore he didn't know when he became so damn sappy, but he didn't care. He was going to ride the wave.

Jonghyun nodded his assent and Minho felt his grin widening. “Chansung knows my favorite.”

“Sure thing,” Minho replied. Chansung pulled Minho along, but Minho walked backwards, keeping an eye on Jonghyun. Kyungsoo nudged Jonghyun and they fell to talking. Minho turned around and tossed his keys in the air. When he caught them, he noticed Chansung staring at him steadily. “What?”

“Jonghyun is my best friend,” Chansung replied as they climbed into Minho's car.

“I know that.”

“And I won't let anything happen to him.”

“Aww, are you asking my intentions towards Jonghyun?” Minho chuckled.

When Chansung didn't laugh, Minho looked over to see his teammate still staring seriously at him.

“What?”

“Look Minho, you're a great friend and teammate, but Jonghyun comes first. We've literally known each other since diapers- we live right next door to each other. He may be older but I've always been bigger, so I've always protected him.”

“Chan, I-”

“You wouldn't be the first person I've fought for pushing Jonghyun around.”

 

 

At the drive-through lane, Minho glanced at Chansung. He had never seen him look so serious. “Chansung, I would never hurt Jonghyun. I swear. He's just...” Minho's thoughts strayed to Jonghyun and he couldn't help but smile. “He's just so lovely and from everything you've said about him I want to get to know him more.”

Chansung sighed. “Jonghyun has a rough life. He deserves some happiness.” He glared at Minho. “Anyone who hurts him has to go through me.”

Minho frowned. “Have you ever known me to intentionally hurt someone? I may have rejected a few people, but that's because I wasn't interested. That has to be better than stringing them along, right?”

Chansung once again stared at Minho. Finally, he offered a half nod and looked out of the window. Minho smiled.

 

 

When they got back to school, Jonghyun and Kyungsoo were seated next to each other at a picnic table.

“Kyungsoo looks cute,” Minho said pointedly, delighting in Chansung's blush. His chuckle drew Jonghyun's attention, and once again Minho felt his smile grow broader. “Victory is served,” he announced, setting the food down. He settled across from Jonghyun, Chansung across from Kyungsoo.

Jonghyun's eyes brightened. “Thanks!” he smiled.

“Your shirt matches your shake,” Minho pointed out, indicating Jonghyun's strawberry shake.

Jonghyun blushed and looked down at his food.

Minho reached across the table and gently lifted Jonghyun's head. “That's better,” he said softly, smiling when they were eye to eye.

Jonghyun blushed and bit his lip, ducking his head. Minho just laughed.