Let's meet again

Here We Go Again.

“What’s taking you so long? We were supposed to meet the guys 15 minutes ago” yells Jiyun from across the living room.

“Can you please, calm yourself down? I texted Dongmin and I told him we were going to be late. As always” you say, as you roll your eyes at her. It hasn’t even been an hour since you woke up, and she’s already being a nuisance.

You had promised to go to breakfast with Dongmin, Jiyun and their significant others. Because that’s what friends do, right? I mean, it was the last day of school and you were supposed to celebrate somehow. You had spent the last year studying, nonstop. Not even Solbi could make you go out and have fun from time to time, and you always felt bad. She was the only one that was single, apart from you of course, and you knew she really needed that moral support from someone else who knew the feeling of loneliness. You. Stop feeling bad about yourself. You did what you had to, and now you get to live with the consequences of those choices. You tried to remind yourself.

A lot had changed this past year. Dongmin had fallen for that girl in his Calculus class. Somehow, Jiyun was able to make that guy in your Language class be head over heels for her. You felt bad for him. Jiyun was too much to deal with from time to time, but you were happy. For both of them. You loved them. Solbi was just her regular, bubbly and energetic self. Although, you knew she was jealous. And you knew you weren’t of much help either, isolating yourself from everyone. Solbi was constantly trying to make you go out. To go to any music show, concert, or even to go out and have dinner and some drinks, maybe even go and have a karaoke night. But you always had homework and tests as an excuse, and for the first time ever, you were glad that school had been invented. You were so close to graduating, and this break was good. Or at least that’s what you wanted to make yourself believe.

It had been a year since that night. Since you last spoke to them. You went to the extent of blocking their number. School, as always, was just an excuse to keep yourself busy before you fell into a more deep depression. But in reality, when everyone else was out having fun, eating and talking, you were in your living room. Streaming every show possible, watching the various scenes of the different dramas they were in. You bought that movie he was starring in, and would secretly watch it before going to bed at night. I’m so pathetic. This is the thought that would run wild every time you started to feel bad about acting like a crazy stalker. You missed them. A lot. You missed them so much it hurt, but you knew you needed this break. You needed to focus in school right now, that way you could finish as soon as possible and find a job. Yes. You were planning on staying in Korea for as long as you could. The school had noticed the effort you had been putting in your classes and offered you a scholarship, which meant they would pay for your stay in Korea for at least two more years. It didn’t matter if I was close to graduation, they were impressed at the advancement of my studies. And you knew you had to stay at least another year. You had to fix things. You promised.

“Oh my god, look who finally arose from her slumber!” said Jiyun, as she stood up from the couch and grabbed the gray purse that was laying next to her. “You have a problem. How come it takes you five years to get ready? I mean I thought my typical hour was something, but you?”

You fixed your hair in the small mirror that was hanging in the middle of the hallway, leading to the front door of your apartment. “Maybe, because I went to bed at 5 a.m finishing that thesis that is due today? I mean, who in their mother decides to have breakfast as soon as the sun comes up?!” you say, as you used your hands in a very dramatic way.

You were wearing that burgundy short dress that Jiyun had gifted you with for your birthday, with a brown leather jacket around, a very thick black scarf around your neck and black high knee socks, and you couldn’t pass the opportunity to wear those high knee boots Dongmin’s girl had bought for your birthday as well. Your hair fell straight down, and somehow this outfit made your natural brownish/reddish color glow. You were never someone who was big on makeup. You always knew that with some foundation, blush and mascara, you were set to go.

“Well, for someone who only had 2 hours of sleep, you are on fire! Why didn’t you tell me you had a boyfriend and we were going to meet him today?” she says, as she links arms with you and opens the apartment door.

“Because, I don’t have one. But thank you, I mean these dress is something else. Whoever chose this must have good taste” you say as you wink at her. You both laugh. And this is why I choose to live with you and not murder you in your sleep. You think to yourself. Jiyun could be a , most of the time, but she had a heart of gold and the best intentions anyone could ever offer.

⦽⦽⦽⦽

You planned on meeting the boys, down at the all time favorite cafe. The one down the street. The one that brought way too many memories, but that is why you always opted to go there.

As you walk in arm in arm with Jiyun laughing and talking, you start to look for Dongmin and the rest. You smiled as you spotted them. As you found a seat next to Dongmin’s girlfriend, Soyou, she had a big smile on her face as she saw your boots. You smiled back and grabbed her hand as you thanked her. The waitress came to the table and handed you and Jiyun menus. Jiyun’s boyfriend, Enoch, yeah he was a foreigner, bowed his head as he smiled at you. You waved back and smiled as you apologized to everyone for being late. Everyone else knew what they wanted, but had been waiting to order. You quickly ask for a cappuccino and a bowl of the yoghurt with granola on top.

As you were waiting for the food to arrive, Soyou came closer to you and whispered in your ear, “Do you know that guy over there?” she whispered, as you followed her eyes. You weren’t sure who she was talking about, until you realized. A random guy wearing all black, with mirrored sunglasses on. He was with someone else, which you couldn’t make a face of, since he’s back was facing you.

“I- don’t think so. Why?” you asked as you took another look at the guy. Who wears sunglasses inside a building?

“I’m not trying scare you or anything, but he’s been staring at you since you walked in. But hey, who wouldn’t you are definitely looking flawless today. Don’t mind me. Really, you know I can be a little paranoid” you looked at her and nodded as you smiled. She was known for her extreme fears. But there was something about this guy that you couldn’t quite figure out.

The food came and you forgot all about, it as everyone started talking about what you all were going to do once everyone graduated. You were the only one graduating that December and everyone else had a few more classes. Since most students, and your friends, were graduating next Spring, they wanted to take a huge trip somewhere to celebrate you, and the fact that it was the last Winter break ever. As you all were bringing different ideas to the table, you felt your phone vibrate. You thought it was Solbi, since you had promised to go with her to a music show that evening. She was currently obsessed with a rookie group, and since you had finished school you had agreed to finally be free.

You looked at your screen. What?

“Everything okay?” asked Jiyun from across the table. You knew your face must’ve been somehow scary because you could tell she was worried.

“Oh, yeah. Sorry, just Solbi. Making sure we’re still on for tonight” you told her. A lie. Ever since last night, you decided to unblock those phone numbers. As soon as you did, a storm of texts and calls were flying into your phone and decided to delete all notifications. Until you turned it on this morning and nothing. Thank god. You weren’t sure if you were ready yet. But now this. You could feel your stomach rumbling, and you knew it wasn’t the food.

It’s been too long. Not sure if you’ll get this message. I miss you. Oh my god, how I miss you. And it must be fate to finally meet again. ~ X