Chapter 2: The Werewolf

May Satan Have Mercy On Your Soul

Night 2:

“Awoo,”

He was a typical nerdy teenage boy; one that was bullied in high school, one that wore glasses and carried a stack full of books every day.

But no one knew the beast that hid under the skin of this young boy.

Footsteps, darkness, horrors. They always come back to him. He remembered being shoved onto the ground forcefully, being beaten up carelessly. But what he remembered the most were the faces; the looks of laughter, not the single bit of guilt in the glint of their eyes. They were all just normal citizens living normal lives. Was this the drama they wanted to lighten up their lives? Pathetic.

Full moon.

The boy should be home by now. He should be in his closest all wrapped up, fear of hurting someone.

“What’s wrong? Too scared to pick a fight with us? Chicken!”

“Weakling!”

They kicked him over and over, until one of them pulled him up by the shirt. He felt blood dripping down his face as he was thrown back towards the fence. His body was filled with fear, but rage as well, and as he wiped the blood off of his face, he noticed his hand was covered in a thick layer of hair. The boy glanced up at the sky and the full moon was caught in his gaze, and he let out a loud howl.

“Seven victims were found dead last night. They were mauled by a werewolf. We found a will next to their body.”

--KIM JONGDAE IS A WEREWOLF—

He hid. He didn’t attend that meeting. He just hid in a forest.

And from that day on, he went by the name Chen.

 

“Food…hungry…”

In the town of Exo Planet, a full moon comes every second night. So tonight, Chen prepared to find his dinner. He slowly transformed into a raging werewolf with drool dripping down his face. Silently, on his four paws, he went to find his prey.

 

Heavy breathing, subtle growls, one loud howl. Luhan was scared. He wasn’t on alert today, and oh how he regretted that. He ran into his room, into his closest. He curled himself up into a ball and covered his ears. He closed his eyes shut while sweat trickled down the back of this neck. Luhan didn’t want to open his eyes but the piercing sound of his glass window breaking forced his eyes open. His pupils moved from right to left then right again, as if he was crossing the road, only that he was crossing in complete fear. He heard the ear-splitting howl coming from whatever beast was out there.

“A werewolf?” He thought in the midst of all this chaos. But the howl stopped midway and he heard the yell of a human as if charging at the monster. Luhan could only faint in complete terror.

 

“AAAAH!”

Sehun charged into Luhan’s home. He knew something was off when he saw those beautiful doe eyes. It wasn’t just love, it was fear. Fear of choices; choices of whether or not to stay on alert or not. Sehun wasn’t stupid. He knew this look of fear, he was trained to know so. He knew what Luhan was going to do, it was going to stay inside his home without his gun ready. He just knew. But maybe there was no look of fear. Maybe it was just a young love’s instinct to protect the other no matter what. And, boy, did he make a good choice.

Chen looked back, alarmed. He did not expect a young boy with biceps flexed to the extreme to come prancing on him with force. It was a one on one battle; human versus werewolf. Sehun has sacrificed himself to be Chen’s dinner, and Chen was glad.

Sehun punched him, Chen growled. Chen tore at his skin, Sehun yelped. Sehun could feel the blood on his arm drip rapidly down to the ground. He was losing too much blood, he must fight back. He slammed the beast’s head down onto the kitchen table as the vase came tumbling down, smashing into a million pieces. Chen’s growls were muffled by the lack of air he was breathing in. However, he fought back.

“NO! You…you beast…hurt…Lu-“

Chen used his sharp claws to scratch at Sehun’s face. As Sehun barely opened his eyes again, he was met with the wild beast jumping at him, mouth with blood and saliva dripping down wide open. But with quick reflexes, he grabbed onto a knife near the damaged kitchen table and stabbed the werewolf in the legs as he felt his guts being ferociously eaten away.

His limbs, his stomach, his head gone. Devoured, demolished, gone. But his heart beat for the last time, for Luhan.

And with that, Sehun rests in peace in the heavens.

 

Chen was exhausted. He was losing too much blood. His legs were worn out; he couldn’t walk back to his own home. The pain, the agony, it was too much.

“You…you’re a monster!”

“Get away from him!”

“You hairy beast!”

Ever since that day, he’s been mauling many victims of his own. He once promised he would never do such a thing; that he would never hurt such innocent and caring people. But what proof was there to convince him that they cared about him? Were they really innocent? Bullying someone without knowing their painful back stories and stabbing them in the back to worsen that pain; is that the definition of care? No. And with that, Chen was satisfied. He got his revenge and that’s all he really wanted in a world like this; in a world of deaths day after day, night after night. He could die neutrally; not completely happily but not exactly sadly.

Chen breathed in his last breath as a tear of mixed feelings ran down his left eye. Then he breathed out.

 

“What do we do now, leader?”

The Mafia are in a dilemma tonight. They have absolutely no leads as to who is who. It’s too risky to attack someone without knowing who exactly they are.

“Let’s not attack tonight. Put the town into confusion.”

“Baek, frame someone with this rock. I was never really able to get rid of it.”

“Roger that.”

“Be careful of the witch though.”

“Witch?”

“Yes, witch.”

 

 

Day 3:

“Oh Sehun was found dead in someone else’s home last night. We found a will next to his body.”

--Dear Deer,

I know this sounds cheesy and I’m probably dead by the time you read this but I was so scared for you. The look in your brown eyes just screamed out fear to me. But please be careful from now on. Because from now on, I won’t be there to save you again. Make wise choices, I’ll wait for you. I love you.

Signed, your bodyguard, Sehunnie.--

“Oh Sehun’s role was a bodyguard.”

“Chen was found dead in someone else’s home last night,” the mayor continued, “We found a will next to his body.”

--KIM JONG DAE WILL NOW REST IN PEACE

Live well, Minseok. I’ll be waiting.--

“Chen’s role was the werewolf.”

The bell rang again and it was time for the town to discuss. But for the first few minutes, the town could only gasp with eyes wide open. Some gasped with joy, some gasped in shock, but nonetheless they all gasped.

Xiumin, however, could only look down. He had befriended the boy and had mutual feelings towards him. They would always tell each other jokes and fun times. He held back his tears over the nostalgic memories. No one else knows who “Minseok” is but Chen, or in this case Jongdae. He trusted him that much. But I guess the other never trusted him enough to tell him his inner self. But that’s okay, he understood. It’s time to forgive and forget. “Live well,” it said in the will.

“I’ll live well.” He whispered quietly as if he were in a library so that no one could hear him. 

 

Luhan on the other hand was feeling down as well. Sehun’s will echo in his head. “I love you.” He never got to say those words back. His Sehunnie sacrificed himself to save him. But he held back his tears and looked up into the sky to whisper.

“Thank you, Sehunnie. I’ll fight hard for you. I love you too.”

“Love who?” Luhan was taken aback by the voice and was brought back to reality. Yixing only laughed. Yixing had looked right through him.

“You were his deer right?” There was no point lying to him now. Luhan could only nod with damp eyes. Yixing brought him into a warm hug, comforting him. They were best friends after all.

“It will be okay, Lulu. Trust me.”

 

“So,” Jongin started, “I investigated Namjoon last night and found this.” Jongin chucked out a rock with blood smeared on the side of it.

“This must have been used to kill Jin.”

“What’s your proof that this was used to kill Jin?” Baekhyun asked eyeing him.

“Tested it. It’s Jin’s blood.” Baekhyun nodded in approval.

“I trust this guy. Anyone else?”

“I-I’ll vote guilty too!” exclaimed Chanyeol, agreeing with Baekhyun. More hands were raised and Namjoon was asked to take the stand. Like Taehyung, he looked extremely nervous. His life was on the line and whatever words he says now will affect his fate.

“Kim Namjoon you are on trial for conspiracy against the town. What is your defence?”

“I-I was framed, I swear…I’m an investigator too.”

The town was discussing to one another about their opinions.

“Kris gege, what do you think?” Kris was taken aback by those words. No one has ever called him “gege” before. He was flattered.

“W-well, I think he’s innocent. Yeah.” That’s all the shy Kris could blurt out.

“Haha I think so too!” Tao giggled and skipped off. Kris was left blushing on the side.

 

“Town, please vote on the fate of Kim Namjoon. Guilty or innocent?”

Both Tao and Kris chose to vote innocent, however, majority of the votes were against Namjoon.

“Namjoon, do you have any last words?” Again, a pregnant silence. He shed a tear and closed his eyes, bracing himself.

“Namjoon’s role was an investigator.” Well, s**t.

“Town dismissed!”