CHAPTER III: Astral

A Sherlock Symphony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  

       I'm almost done with unpacking my luggage. I got a whole room to myself on level 3, next to Junmyeon's. 

       Chanyeol says the room is unoccupied, but I find it strange that it smells kind of musky and recent. Doesn't really feel like a room straight out of catalogue, but it desn't have any belongings either except for a small flower vase by the table. The bedsheets are new and clean too.

       My sword is hanging alone by a plank that's been drilled in the wall of the aclove, courtesy of Chanyeol's initiative. I stand still before it and shake my head. 

       "He really doesn't know when to give up.. haish."

       After I hang my clothes in the wardrobe and arrange some books that I've brought along on the shelf, I head out of my new room. Junmyeon had asked us to gather in the studio so as to give a warm official welcome to the fresh addition of the team, a.k.a me.

       Chanyeol and Baekhyun are standing outside my room, engaged in a serious conversation because none of them seem to notice my presence.

       "Dude, are you sure about this? I have a really, really, really bad feeling." Baekhyun whispers.

       "He hasn't come back for months, Baek. It's obvious he no longer wants to be here." Chanyeol waves it off.

       "But what if he suddenly comes back?? We'll be so dead. Including her!!"

       I wonder what they're talking about so secretively. Who's gonna be dead? I decide to do a jumpscare on them, just because it's amusing to see them freak out. I spring from behind them and the duo are startled out of their wits. It's so funny how it's accurate to my prediction.

       "Are you waiting for me?"

       Baekhyun and Chanyeol exchange a couple of uncertain, terrified looks.

       "Ahh.. y-yeah! O-Of course." Chanyeol speaks out a little too excitedly, "If you're done, shall we go now?"

       I beam and hook my arms with both guys. Baekhyun hitches in horror and grapples away but I tighten my lock. Chanyeol whistles at the scene and Baekhyun blushes even brighter. He must've think that trait of Baekhyun is cute too!

       As we descend down the stairs, we are met with Sehun halfway. I finally have a good look at his blonde appearance since he wasn't there to greet my arrival. All I know is that, he screams perfection.

       "Junmyeon gathered us." 

       "I know." Sehun tells Chanyeol without glancing at me, "I'm just gonna take my phone."

       Chanyeol shrugs and continues his way down with Baekhyun.

       "What's wrong?" Baekhyun asks as I don't bulge from my spot.

       I free both their arms and they look confused. "I.. uh-- I have to do something first. Go ahead." 

       Wasting no time, I race back up the stairs to catch up with Mr Grumpy. I feel a huge bubble of anxiety as I mount up the steps but I have to attain proper forgiveness from him once and for all. A few days of sobering has made me realise that I can't afford to have Sehun hating me, especially since I'll be living with him. Working with him. Breathing the same air as him. Seeing his hauntingly gorgeous face. For one whole month straight. I can't survive with such a tensed atmosphere.

       "I'M SORRY!" I shout in reflex and bow 90 degrees to show my sincerity. 

       He ignores it.

       "I mean it! I uh.. I didn't mean to scratch your face--" Wait that's not the right word, "I-I mean, scar--" No that's worse! "It's just, just my nerves--"

       "Save it. I don't have time for trivial things." He says coldly while picking up his pace, almost reaching his room.

       TRIVIAL?! He doesn't know this trivial thing has been bugging my conscience!

       "P-PLEASE SEHUN!!" I beg in desperation, "What should I do so that you won't be mad at me anymore??" I rush forward only to bump into his back when he suddenly stops before the doorknob. The abrupt collision sends me dizzy and I stagger back but Sehun swiftly saves me by the waist.

       Great. Now he doesn't just think of me as a walking disaster but rather, a clumsy walking disaster.

       Sehun sighs heavily, finally meeting my gaze. For a brief moment, his expression changes into a lighter one.

       "I'm not mad at you.."

       That was all he said before he left me, alone.

       "So let's give our new pretty secretary a warm welcome!" Junmyeon cheers and the rooms erupts into soft applause, "Make yourself at home alright, Sora?"

       "Thank you. Please guide me along in future." I lay out my heartfelt words and smile.

       "Why don't we have the only lady of this house do the honours of ice breaking?" Baekhyun encourages with a smile.

       I start to panic as all the guys wait for the only (socially-awkward) lady to start the game. Feeling flustered at the attention, I grip the hem of my skirt.

       "Sora?" Chanyeol's worried soothes me back to reality. His fingers are smoothing my tight knuckles. Everyone is staring at me with interest.

       "S-Sorry, I spaced out." I lied, "I'm Sora, a year younger than Chanyeol. I enjoy watching sci-fi and crime movies so it's really something that Chanyeol is actually a detective in real life. And that I'm actually here with the rest of you."

       "It's only fair that we all do a proper introduction this time round, yeah?" Junmyeon announces delightfully as he tries to make me loosen up comfortably. I appreciate the thought. He really does emanate a motherly vibe.

       We go one round of introductions and I learn about many insights that I've still not be able to grasp. For example, I never knew that Chanyeol is so good at hacking databases (he says a better term for it is exploring, doesn't matter) while Kyungsoo has a flair for picking locks. The two of them are like partners in crimes, or should I say cases? Baekhyun's excellent at research, which is a given since he adores reading. Junmyeon says he is in-charge of primarily accounts and finances, no surprise there. As for Sehun.. he is in charge of overseeing the team. He was appointed the team leader back when they first started EXO and it makes me wonder at him in awe because he is the youngest of the troupe. They must've acknowledged his superior leadership and now that I recall, Chanyeol did commend his intelligence.

       Junmyeon pauses for a while after finishing all 5 introductions.

       "There is just one more member left.. but he's not here today so.." He gazes at Sehun but the latter simply chews the inside of his cheek without returning the gaze. "Uhh so I guess.. that's all for now?"

       One more member? I thought there are only the 5 of them in the team..

       "Oh yeah, the last thing I need to mention and this is really important. You can't bring friends here unless authorised. This studio is strictly out of bounds to outsiders." Junmyeon states firmly.

       "Don't worry. The only friend she has is that old uncle at the bookstore." Chanyeol chips in a singing tune.

       Junmyeon dismisses the meeting and the rest of them proceed back to their individual rooms.

       "Err, is there anything I can do?" I stand up, not knowing what do to or where I should go. 

       "Nothing for today.." Junmyeon checks his phone, "We don't have cases for now."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter