Part III

Forget Me Not (And Don’t Move On)

13702 words

3.

Jongin walks up to the slightly decrepit apartment complex and lets his eyes wander upwards. It’s only four stories tall but from the outside it looks like it should be condemned. The brick looks like it’s crumbling in some areas, and on the fourth floor he sees a boarded window. He can only hope that no one lives in that apartment.

He makes his way inside and away from the cold, shrugging off his jacket as he enters the building. He’s dressed in a horizontally striped black-and-white sweater and tight black slacks. It’s the most casual he’s going to get, but he figured he’d try so he didn’t look like an idiot.

He walks down the first-floor corridor to the elevator at the end that looks like it came straight out of the thirties, and presses the button for the third floor. The elevator is creaky and loud as it ascends, the noises grinding into Jongin’s skull.

When the doors open he makes his way down the hallway, searching for apartment 3E. He spots the brass characters hanging to his right and knocks.

It seems like an eternity before he hears footsteps running followed by a- “One second!”- that sounds muffled through the doorway. A moment later the door opens a little and a small head peeks through.

“Hi, how can I- Oh! Jongin! Come on in!” Kyungsoo greets as he fully opens the door and gestures for Jongin to enter. As the taller crosses the threshold he’s immediately met with an overwhelming sense of home, like this is a place you should come home to every night and put up your feet on the coffee table. He sees a small living room with an old albeit comfortable-looking couch and a wooden coffee table, and small kitchen that pretty much counts as a kitchenette. Across the living room he sees three doors, presumably two bedrooms and a bathroom. Overall, the apartment looks cozy, and in the back of his mind Jongin decides he could get used to it.

He turns his attention back to Kyungsoo when he hears a throat being cleared. And it’s a shame that Jongin was too busy looking around the apartment before because Kyungsoo looks just, well, just.

Um.

Jongin’s mind draws a temporary blank as he rakes in every inch of Kyungsoo’s figure. His midnight black hair is mussed and just slightly gelled, and it looks like he just woke up from a nap. His eyelids are still puffy and Jongin wants to cool them down with kisses. Wait no. No he doesn’t.

Kyungsoo wears a white cashmere sweater that’s just a little too large on him, sleeves cutely going past his palms and neckline showing a tantalizing glimpse of alabaster skin. A little further down and Jongin is met with light blue skinny jeans that hug the shorter man’s thighs perfectly and leave Jongin’s mouth to water at the corners.

He looks back up to Kyungsoo’s face and sees a nervous expression there, probably because Jongin has been staring at Kyungsoo like he’s tonight’s dinner for the past sixty seconds. He clears his throat and smiles brightly.

“Hi Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo blinks and seems to relax a bit as he returns the greeting. “Hi,” He says quietly, shy smile gracing his face. “Baekhyun just ran out to go pick up some stuff, but he’ll be back soon. Can I, uhm, get you something to drink while we wait?”

“I’m alright, thank you.” Jongin replies.

“Oh, okay, perfect. Would you like to, um, take a seat then? We can sit over here.” Kyungsoo leads them to living room and plops down onto the couch, facing Jongin who sits on the other end and tucking his knees up to his chest. Everything about Kyungsoo’s position is cute right now, from the way he rests his chin on his knees to the way he blows the hair out of his face.

Jongin crosses one leg over the other and turns to face Kyungsoo diagonally on the couch. It’s quiet for a moment before Kyungsoo speaks up.

“How was your morning?” Jongin is momentarily surprised at the smalltalk, not being accustomed to it. The only questions he ever received about his day came from Chanyeol, and it was normally better to just ignore those.

“It was… okay.” It had been a bit more than okay, truthfully. He had finally been able to take inventory of his shipment, Chanyeol had given him a background check on Sehun, which he had yet to look at, and Yixing had informed him that Yifan was sending Jongin another shipment of semis as compensation for the earlier confusion. But, of course, he can’t say that to Kyungsoo, so he settles for returning the question.

“It was okay too.” Kyungsoo responds with a humorous smile. “I got to finish my book today.”

Jongin returns the smile. “And the ending?”

“A secret. No spoilers.”

Jongin chuckles. It’s a deep sound the seems to make the room a little bit warmer, especially when Kyungsoo’s lips stretch into a full heart-shaped smile.

There’s a moment when neither of them speak before Kyungsoo remembers why Jongin is at his apartment.

“So, um, today I was thinking of filming some stuff for the beginning of the short. Like when the idea of running away initially comes to Baekhyun. It’ll mostly be closeups and stuff, but I think Baek might need some help with this more serious kind of stuff. He’s more of a comedian, if you couldn’t tell.” He says with a laugh.

Jongin looks at him slowly. “I’ll do what I can.”

“Thanks.” A smile.

“Kyungsoo?”

“Mmm?”

“Why did you run?”

“Me?”

“Yes. You.”

“Um.” Kyungsoo seems to think about his answer for a second. “I-I probably wouldn’t normally tell you this, because only Baek knows, but I guess it’s the least I can do.” He starts shyly.

“Kyungsoo, if it makes you uncomfortable, you don’t have to.” Jongin amends as his eyebrow scrunches up in concern.

“It’s alright. I don’t mind.” He flashes a reassuring smile.

“I just, I hate conflict. I hate it. Everything about it. I hate getting mad at people, I hate raising my voice, but most of all I hate it when people are mad at me. When I disappoint them. And I think, yeah, that’s what happened with my parents.”

Kyungsoo takes a shaky breath and Jongin unwittingly finds himself sliding closer, placing a comforting hand on Kyungsoo’s ankle.

“They- they just couldn’t accept the fact that I wanted to do something other than be a doctor. Or a lawyer. I mean, what parent wants their kid to be ing filmmaker? I’m no James Cameron, no Steven Spielberg. I don’t want that. To make the biggest features, have the best cast. I just want to do what I like. Which is this. Small films that probably won’t reach more than a couple thousand people, but holy will those people love them. I guess my parents just couldn’t see that. They think I lack ambition, and drive, but I just have it in a different way than they do.

“When my parents found out that I had applied to KAFA anyways, they lost it. They started yelling at me, telling me how disappointing I was and how much of a stupid idea it was. And I couldn’t handle it. I didn’t want to see the looks of resentment in their eyes every time I saw them, so I left.” He pauses. “That was three years ago. I haven’t talked to them since then.”

Jongin is silent. He doesn’t like to get tangled up in business. That’s when attachments form, and that’s when things get messy. But he can’t help it as he slides his hand up Kyungsoo’s calf to his knee, giving it a light squeeze and unwittingly sending shivers across Kyungsoo’s skin.

“So yeah, that’s why. It doesn’t bother me too much though. I have Baekhyun, and that’s all I really need. He keeps me grounded.” A laugh. “I guess that’s why we’re so close. I would never say it to him, and I’d kill you if you did, but I need him a bit more than I let on. He’s the only person I have left.” Kyungsoo says with a bittersweet smile.

“You have me.”

It’s out of Jongin’s mouth before he can even stop it, and Kyungsoo’s head whips up. He looks confused, mostly, and maybe a little bit hopeful. Which hurts. Jongin wishes Kyungsoo wouldn’t look at him like that. He’s no good.

“I-” Jongin never gets to find out what Kyungsoo is going to say because Byun ing Baekhyun chooses that moment to barge in the door with arms loaded full of grocery bags.

“Kyungie, my beautiful wife, I have brought home the bread with which you may make me dinner!” He singsongs.

He then gets a look at the couch and sees Jongin and Kyungsoo seated there with Jongin’s hand still on the other’s knee, their bodies perhaps a bit closer than they need to be.

“Ah, the wife is having an affair.” Baekhyun narrates flatly.

“Shove off Baek,” Kyungsoo says with a smile as he gets up to help his roommate with the groceries. Jongin follows suit and lingers at the edges of the kitchen.

He watches the two friends as they unpack everything, laughing and smiling and eyes crinkling around the edges as Baekhyun tells the other of some crazy lady he saw at the grocery store who was trying to steal frozen pizzas. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo go so well together, and Jongin can’t help but wish that it was his name in that sentence instead of Baekhyun’s.

Kyungsoo seems to remember that Jongin is standing there and turns his attention back to him.

“Oh Jongin, I forgot to ask. Did you want to stay for dinner? I’m cooking. Unless you’re busy of course, which is okay too!” He rushes out in one breath.

Baekhyun approaches from behind and lays his head on Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

“Personally Jongin, I would cancel any plans you have for the evening, because there is literally nothing better than Kyungsoo’s cooking. Literally. Not even his sister.”

“YAH!” Kyungsoo shouts indignantly, turning around to smack Baekhyun.

“What? Your sister is a beautiful woman!” Baekhyun curls away from his roommate’s attack.

Jongin can’t help the laugh that bubbles up as Baekhyun runs away from Kyungsoo. The shorter male may be small, but he’s got a lot of fight in him. Jongin admires that.

“I would love to.” He says, bringing Kyungsoo and Baekhyun back to attention.

“Awesome!” Baekhyun pipes up first. “You guys can cook together! Oh my God this is going to be so cute I’m going to just sit on the couch and watch you guys omg I love this.” He spews as he walks away.

Kyungsoo blushes beet red and looks at his feet.

“Sorry.” He mumbles. “Let’s go.”

They go.

They now reside in Kyungsoo’s bedroom, which is doing weird things to Jongin’s body. It smells overwhelmingly like the shorter, which Jongin discovers to be a mix of vanilla and cologne. The bed lies in the centre, a decently-sized queen with dark grey sheets. Kyungsoo had messed up the sheets purposefully to add to the disarrayed effect of the film, but all Jongin can think of as he stares at the bed is messing up the sheets with Kyungsoo in other ways.

The man in question stands off in the corner messing with his camera and setting up his tripod. He’s flipping through the settings on his camera and Jongin watches from afar, eyes hungrily taking in the way Kyungsoo’s tongue pokes out of his mouth.

The door flings open and in enter Baekhyun, in a graphic tee and jeans a requested by Kyungsoo. He jumps on the bed and makes himself at home in it, immediately quelling any fantasies Jongin may have had or will ever have about that bed.

“So, Kyung, tell me what I gotta do.” Baekhyun half-raises his head.

“Hold on a sec.” Kyungsoo removes the camera from the tripod and loops the strap twice around his forearm.

Jongin leans against the windowsill which Kyungsoo had told him would be behind the camera. Something about backlighting.

“Okay, so, Baek,  I want you to be at the desk. This is where you’re seriously thinking about running away, and I want it to be like the decision is killing you. Like you don’t want to leave, but you can’t think of anything else to do. Make it look like you didn’t sleep all night. Oh and also, use your breath. This short is going to be pretty monochromatic, so I’m not scoring it at all. Your breathing is going to count for a lot here.”

“Ah, breathplay I see.”

“Please, shut up.”

“Gotcha Kyung.”

Baekhyun takes his place at Kyungsoo’s desk and Kyungsoo moves around to get a good angle of his face. He moves around for a second before seeming to be satisfied and nodding at Baekhyun. He breathes out a quiet action, and silence ascends.

It’s amazing the transformation of Baekhyun’s character in just a few seconds. He turns somber, and his eyes look tired, so unlike the usual brightness that fills them. He looks almost void, empty, and Jongin has to say he’s more than a little bit impressed.

But what captures his attention more is the man behind the camera. Kyungsoo squints into the eyehole and watches Baekhyun intently, camera smoothly sliding around his actor’s face and capturing everything he’s giving him. The lights have been dimmed, and it makes the outline of Kyungsoo’s figure look more delicate. Jongin can just barely see the hint of a solid and maybe just a little bit buff figure under Kyungsoo’s sweater, and his gaze traces every movement he makes.

He has the sudden urge to walk up behind the shorter and wrap his arms around him, press his chest into Kyungsoo’s back and trail his lips up the side of his neck. To whisper into Kyungsoo’s ear and feel the shiver that runs down his back.  But he shakes the thought out of his head, because Baekhyun is still in the room and he’s trying his best to stay focused.

It’s completely mesmerizing, watching the way Kyungsoo never breaks concentration and is so carefully trained on Baekhyun that he couldn’t miss anything if he tried. On camera, Baekhyun holds his head in his hands, elbows on the desk, and runs his hands through his hair. He glances, at the clock, then at the door, then straight at the wall. Jongin can see the confliction in Baekhyun’s face, and the emotion is so convincing that Jongin starts to feel a pang in his chest.

Baekhyun gets up suddenly and kicks back his chair, sending it crashing to the ground. He stares at it for a second like it holds all the answers before shoving it aside with his foot with a huff. He moves around to the bed and sits on the edge, staring straight out the window, just beside where Jongin still stands.

Kyungsoo slowly glides across the floor, tracing Baekhyun’s movements with his camera and never breaking the smooth transition.

But when he passes by the chair he almost trips over it, Jongin following Kyungsoo so carefully with his eyes that he can see what’s about to happen before Kyungsoo does. In a flash that’s way faster than any non-combat trained person would have thought possible, Jongin reaches out to Kyungsoo and wraps a strong arm around his torso.

Kyungsoo is too focused on what’s happening in his camera, so he doesn’t question what Jongin is doing as he leads him in a smooth line around the fallen chair. He lets himself be pulled by the taller, who presses his front into Kyungsoo’s back to keep him steady.

Once they pass the chair Jongin slowly slides off of Kyungsoo, but not before feeling the other’s racing heartbeat. He drags his palm against Kyungsoo’s torso purposefully as he retreats, feeling his abdominals flex under the touch. It’s a far too intimate action to be doing while they’re filming, much less while there’s another person in the room, but Jongin doesn’t exactly care.

About two minutes later Kyungsoo whispers out cut, and Baekhyun’s serious expression relaxes slightly, but there’s still a heavy air in the room, whether it’s from Baekhyun’s acting or Jongin’s forwardness, he can’t tell.

Kyungsoo lowers his camera and faces Baekhyun. “Wow. Baek. That was amazing. Where did that come from?”

Baekhyun smiles sheepishly. “I still got a few tricks up my sleeve Kyung.”

Kyungsoo thanks Baekhyun again before telling him he can take a quick break if he wants, that they won’t need to redo that scene because it was perfect on the first try. Baekhyun says he’ll be right back, that he’s just going to go get water, and he exits the room.

As soon as the third person leaves the atmosphere turns dense.

Kyungsoo looks at Jongin and the taller can already see the question in his eyes.

“You almost tripped Kyungsoo.” He says softly. “Over the chair.”

Kyungsoo closes his eyes for a second, because he’s never heard Jongin speak so quietly and the way that the other seems to cherish every syllable of his name makes him feel weak in the knees.

“Thank you.” Kyungsoo whispers, not sure why it’s suddenly so difficult to speak. All can he do is stand still helplessly as Jongin’s eyes grow intense and he bores his gaze into Kyungsoo. The brunette gently pushes off the window and takes three long strides to stand in front of Kyungsoo, towering over the man who seems to shrink under his gaze.

Kyungsoo looks at his feet, afraid of the intensity he can feel from above him. But when he finally looks up, he gasps, almost inaudibly.

Jongin’s eyes have softened, so different from the fire that was in them ten seconds ago. Kyungsoo is enamoured, and he inhales sharply as Jongin brings his hand up. Jongin brushes the strand of hair that fallen into Kyungsoo’s face back and just as quickly drops his hand. But the tender look in his eyes remains, and it’s more than a little terrifying to Kyungsoo, who feels an answering one in the pit of his stomach.

“Jongin-” Kyungsoo starts, voice barely audible.

At this Jongin flinches, and he immediately takes a step back like he’s just been burned. The soft look in his eyes glazes over and returns to the dark and mysterious one that usually graces his face.

Kyungsoo’s heart drops as Jongin retreats to the windowsill, leaning against it casually like that didn’t just happen and saying a short- “You’re welcome.”

The moment is over when Baekhyun walks back into the bedroom, back to his energetic self after getting a drink. Baekhyun asks Kyungsoo what he wants him to do next, and the shorter takes one last look at Jongin before shaking his head and turning his attention to Baekhyun.

Jongin lets out a breath he didn’t know he was holding and collapses slightly against the window. He’s not really sure what that was, or why he did it, but he feels like he’s just screwed up with Kyungsoo and he doesn’t know what to do.

When Kyungsoo had whispered his name it became too much Jongin. He couldn’t deal with the softness in the other’s voice, the way his name sounded so valuable from his mouth, the look in his eye’s that held something dangerous. If he’s completely honest it scared him, and Jongin is not used to being scared.

He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath.

He needs to leave before he’s too far in.

(But it’s too late for that.)

It’s a few hours later that they wrap up for the day, having had taken advantage of the limited free time that Jongin has.

It had gone just fine after the weird moment in Kyungsoo’s room, both too focused on the task at hand to think anything of it. Kyungsoo had captured some great footage of Baekhyun, and Jongin had offered more spoutless bull. All in all it went pretty well, and as Kyungsoo packs up his equipment Baekhyun asks if he can speak to Jongin.

“I just had some questions and stuff. You know.”

So Jongin had followed Baekhyun into his room, which is where they now sit, facing each with Baekhyun on the bed and Jongin on the chair in the corner.

Baekhyun doesn’t make any move to speak just yet, and neither does Jongin. It seems like both men are sizing the other up, trying to be as threatening as they can with only their eyes.

It’s when Baekhyun blatantly once-overs Jongin and gives him a sour expression that Jongin finally speaks up.

“I’m sorry, is there a problem?” He asks in an exasperated sigh.

Baekhyun considers.

“I don’t like you very much.” He says finally.

“Oh my heart.”

Baekhyun huffs. “It’s not that. I’m sure you’re a perfectly nice… person, or whatever you are, because people don’t look as flawless as you do, but anyways, I just... don’t like the way you look at Kyungsoo.”

Jongin coughs. “I’m sorry, what?”

“You. Looking. Kyungsoo. Not a fan.”

Jongin stares blankly. “And please do tell, how exactly do I look at Kyungsoo?”

“Like you’re hungry.”

“I wasn’t aware that it was a crime to want food.”

“It is when you look at Kyungsoo like he’s the food.”

“I assure you I have more respect for him than that.”

“Uh huh. Look, I know Kyungsoo is really yummy and everything, like seriously when he wears those jeans he’s wearing today even I check out his -” Jongin glares daggers. “-And don’t give me that look because I know for a fact that you were doing it too, but seriously, it’s freaky. You’re all intense and and it freaks the out of me.”

“I apologize for my eyes.”

“Don’t get snippy with me. I’m just looking out for Kyungsoo, okay? He’s had some stuff going on and I’ve known him forever. He’s less okay than he pretends to be, not that I’m telling you this.”

Baekhyun sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose with one hand and wearing the expression of a person who was just told their mother died.

“Just, whatever that-” He gestures between Jongin and the door, presumably where Kyungsoo is outside. “-is, just be good to him, okay? You may have the body of an adonis, like you’re perfect, seriously man, but I will you up if you hurt him.”

“You’re not very good at this whole threatening concept.”

“Never said I was.”

“Well, um, Baekhyun,” He says, the name sounding so awkward on his tongue, “I promise you that I have no… ill intentions towards Kyungsoo. I’m simply helping him out with this project, then I’ll be on my way. And with the rate things went today, I’m sure you won’t have to deal with me for much longer.”

Baekhyun sighs, shaking his head. “No no no, that’s not what I mean. I seriously doubt that either of you know it yet because you both seem dumb as around each other, but I can tell there’s something there. Don’t throw it away, because honestly, I think that would just hurt Kyungsoo more.”

Jongin looks serious. “Baekhyun, I-” he takes a breath. “I’m not sure I can do that. I just, with my work and stuff-” Jongin has never sounded so stumbling before and he curses himself inside his head.

“You’re not an actor, are you?” Baekhyun says point-blank, tilting his head slightly.

Jongin’s eyes just widens a bit and sputters for a second before Baekhyun cuts him off.

“I had a feeling. I’m not as ignorant as you might think.”

Jongin looks unintelligent with his mouth gaping slightly open.

“Yah, close your mouth. I won’t say anything to Kyungsoo. I won’t even ask you what it is that you do, because I really don’t want to know.”

Jongin closes his mouth.

“Just kidding, I’m going to ask because I’m annoying.” Baekhyun crosses his legs. “So, Jongin, what do you do for a living?”

Jongin adjusts himself on the chair and hesitates. Obviously he’s not going to tell Baekhyun, because why the would he do that?

Baekhyun pipes up again. “And don’t give me bull. I will find out, and I will tell Kyungsoo.”

Jongin swallows.

He’s going to regret this in the morning.

“I’m Kim Kai, leader of the Family.”

Baekhyun blinks.

“I’m sorry, what?”

“Mob leader.”

“The Family?”

“Yep.”

“The one that’s always in the news?”

“That’s the one.”

“Well.”

“Mm.”

“I would like to now apologize for everything and anything I have ever done to you.”

“Thanks.”

“Also, I’m sorry that I told Kyungsoo you probably had a microdick.”

“What.”

“I didn’t like you.”

“Now you do?”

“Now I love you.”

“Please don’t.”

“Okay.”

“Please don’t tell Kyungsoo.”

“I won’t. Please don’t hurt Kyungsoo.”

“I won’t.”

Baekhyun nods, like that was all he needed from the beginning.

“Well, Kyungsoo’s waiting.”

Jongin takes that as his cue to get up. Baekhyun makes no move to move however, just trailing Jongin as he walks to the door. When Jongin’s hand touches the handle, Baekhyun turns him around with a call of his name.

“Jongin, I, I won’t tell Kyungsoo. Really. But if it gets to a point where he might be hurt, I will.”

Jongin nods and tries to show his understanding in his eyes. He doesn’t want to hurt Kyungsoo. Not at all.

“Thank you.”

Baekhyun smiles and Jongin exits the bedroom.

His mind is racing a million miles a minute. He can’t believe he just said that to someone, Baekhyun of all people.

He’s so shaken, and it doesn’t help when he walks into the kitchen to find Kyungsoo bent over the counter at the waist, cutting vegetables.

To say Kyungsoo’s looked nice would an understatement.

His looks amazing in his blue skinnies, and Jongin is trying his very very best to not walk over to the smaller and bend him all the way over.

He's thinking about old ladies and trash cans and Baekhyun but none of it is helping as Kyungsoo starts humming a song and wiggling his hips from side to side.

Jongin doesn’t even try to stop himself as he breathes out- “.”

Kyungsoo squeals and jumps, spinning around to find a breathless looking Jongin.

“H-hi Jongin! You scared me,” He greets sheepishly.

Jongin’s mouth goes dry when he sees that Kyungsoo is wearing an apron. Yes, a ing apron. Not that domestic Kyungsoo makes him feel funny things. Obviously not.

“Hi,” He chokes out, allowing himself to return the smile that Kyungsoo flashes at him.

“Wanna come help?” Kyungsoo asks as he turns back around to his vegetables.

Jongin knows he should say no, but then he thinks about what Baekhyun said about pulling away. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad to give Kyungsoo a chance. To let him. He honestly has no clue what he’s doing, so he just lets himself say- “I’d love to.”

Kyungsoo looks back at him over his shoulder and gives him the brightest smile. “Well, come here then.” And Jongin smiles back knowing that the awkward air between them from earlier is gone.

He moves over to Kyungsoo, who hands him a knife and teaches him how to cut up the zucchini and eggplant the way he likes it. He seems a little surprised when he tells Jongin to try himself and the taller wields the knife expertly. But he just shrugs it off with a grin and a compliment and Jongin feels like he just won the lottery. He could go the rest of his life being the reason for Kyungsoo’s smiles.

When Jongin finishes he looks to his left to see Kyungsoo bent over the oven, fiddling with the settings. Jongin wants to tell him that he’s finished cutting everything up, but he also just wants to look at Kyungsoo forever.

He sighs before calling him. “Kyungsoo, I finished.” He says, gesturing to the vegetables.

Yeah you did.” Baekhyun yells from the couch.

Kyungsoo smiles. “Ignore him.”

Jongin smiles. “Okay.”

“Can you want to help me with the oven? I can’t seem to get it to work.”

“Sure Soo.”

Jongin coughs when he realizes what he just said, and Kyungsoo freezes.

“I-um, sorry, I didn’t mean- Baekhyun just calls you that so I thought I could too. Um, sorry. “ He coughs again.

Kyungsoo tilts his head before laughing. “It’s okay Jongin, you can call me that. I’ll allow it.” He winks. “But that just means I need a nickname for you.”

“Oh.” Jongin’s never gotten a nickname before, aside from that one time Minseok called him Jonggie and woke up with a black eye.

“Hmmm,” Kyungsoo taps his chin in contemplation and if that is not the cutest thing Jongin has ever seen he’s pretty sure he must be delusional.

But Jongin isn’t prepared for what comes next.

“Nini.”

“Um.”

“Jognog.”

“Um.”

“Jonggiebear.”

“Um.”

Kyungsoo laughs, eyes crinkling and teeth showing.

“I’m kidding!” He chokes out as another laugh bubbles up, and Jongin has to admit that he feels one coming out as well.

When Kyungsoo finally calms down a minute later he looks at the taller and says, “I kind of like just Jongin. It sounds nice.” And Jongin feels a little warm.

“Jongin it is then.”

The two continue to make dinner, casually bumping into each other every now and then and apologizing with small smiles. They pay no attention to Baekhyun who makes the occasional unnecessary comment from the couch, like they’re in their own little world. Baekhyun must say, it is quite disgustingly cute.

They don’t actually talk all that much, but their silence seems to be okay by both of them.

Dinner passes without a hitch complementing Kyungsoo on his great cooking as always and thanking Jongin as well, because he’s only slightly terrified of him now.

When they’re cleaning up the dishes Jongin volunteers to help. He and Kyungsoo stand side by side in front of the sink, Kyungsoo washing and Jongin rinsing. Jongin can’t help but smile and think that this is how life is meant to be, spending a quiet Thursday evening washing the dishes from dinner with Kyungsoo by his side.

He’s so lost in thought that he doesn’t notice when Kyungsoo tries to hand him another dish. The shorter just smiles warmly and flicks some soapy water onto his nose, startling Jongin out of his silence. “W-what-”

Kyungsoo laughs and hands him the plate, grabbing the next one from the counter to wash.

But his hand barely connects with it before he feels cold water on his cheek. He yelps and turns to look at Jongin, who is smiling mischievously with his hand in the water.

Kyungsoo grins. “This is war Jongin.”

“Game on.”

They spend the next few minutes flicking water at each and soaking themselves in suds. Jongin can’t remember the last time he laughed so much, and Kyungsoo is smiling so much it hurts. The shorter tries to run away from Jongin, but to no avail as he finds himself being pulled back by an arm around his waist and he lets out a rather unmanly squeal.

“Jongin!” He laughs, flinching away as he’s splashed with the now room temperature water. His attacker laughs, a full body one that Kyungsoo can feel through the hold he still has on him. He struggles to get out of Jongin’s grip but the taller just flips him around.

The position they’re in now looks like something out a movie, Jongin dipping Kyungsoo and their faces centimetres apart. It sobers Kyungsoo up immediately, eyes widening and breath slowing down. Jongin’s looking at him again, with that intense look in his eyes, and Kyungsoo swallows heavily. The taller’s eyes trail down Kyungsoo’s throat and he feels his heartbeat begin to speed up. 

It seems like Jongin is leaning in closer, or maybe he’s just imagining it. He’s wanted this for so long, not even fully realizing how much he’s wanted to kiss Jongin until now. To take one of those plump lips between his own and glide his tongue against the other’s.

Jongin still seems to be coming closer, and now Kyungsoo knows he isn’t imagining things. Their noses are almost touching, just millimeters apart, and Kyungsoo whispers- “Jongin…”- before his eyes close in wait.

And they wait.

And they wait.

And they ope-

Wait what??!

Kyungsoo screams as Jongin pours a cup of freezing cold water in face that he must have been holding this whole time.

“AHHH! Jongin!” Kyungsoo yells, jumping out of his hold.

Jongin has literally fallen to the floor laughing and rolls around in the puddle he just created, clutching his stomach and eyes scrunched shut. Kyungsoo watches, dripping wet, but he can’t seem to bring himself to be mad with the way Jongin is absolutely losing his on the tiled floor. Kyungsoo doesn’t think he’s ever seen Jongin laugh like this, so his discomfort is worth it, he decides.

This time.

“Soo! I’m so sorry!” Jongin apologizes as he continues to laugh his off.

“Yeah right.” Kyungsoo mumbles, face grumpy but smile slowly creeping over as Jongin wipes tears from his eyes.

The brunette gets up slowly, still laughing softly but volume rapidly decreasing. When he takes in the site of a dripping wet Kyungsoo, he calms down a bit.

“Really, Kyungsoo, I just had to. I’m sorry” He says again, and this time he does sound a bit remorseful.

“It’s okay Jongin,” Kyungsoo says honestly, “At least you’re soaked too.” He chuckles.

Jongin glances down at his body, eyes widening as he only now realizes that he’s covered in water.

“Huh. I guess I am.”

Kyungsoo smiles. “Come on, I think I might have some clothes that fit you.”

Jongin trails after Kyungsoo into his bedroom, both of them leaving a trail of water drops behind them.

“Stay here,” Kyungsoo tells him. “I have an oversized sweater in the bathroom that’s probably about your size. “

“Okay.” Kyungsoo leaves to the bathroom and Jongin takes a good look around. Kyungsoo had remade his bed after filming that day, and the sheets are now pulled taut across the surface, like they’re just asking Jongin to mess them up.

He shifts his weight and hears a squelch, flinching as he remembers that Kyungsoo’s bedroom is carpeted. He looks down and sees a small puddle around his feet, cursing under his breath and immediately beginning to peel off his dripping sweater and pants. He leaves his underwear on because they’re just damp, not soaked through like the rest of clothes, and holds the bundle in his hands, looking for somewhere to put it down that won’t get damaged by the water.

But before he can find a place the door opens again and in comes Kyungsoo, head down and looking at the sweater he just picked up.

“Okay yeah, I think this will-” He cuts off as he looks up to see Jongin standing red-handed, only in a pair of briefs.

Kyungsoo’s mouth flaps open and closed as he stares at the magnificence that is Kim Jongin mostly .

His bronze skin looks warm and inviting, pulled over layers of defined muscle that Kyungsoo can see flex and ripple as Jongin shifts uncomfortably. A pair of broad shoulders that had earlier been partly hidden by his sweater lead down into defined pectorals and a six pack, not skinny but not bulky either. Kyungsoo skips a little bit down to be met with toned thighs and calves, and oh God does he want to sink his hands into those thighs.

He tells himself not to but can’t fight the urge to move his gaze up just a few inches to the outline of Jongin’s in his pants. And holy , Jongin is big. Even through the briefs Kyungsoo can tell that Jongin is larger than average, and he feels heat pooling in the bottom of his stomach at the sight.

He unashamedly keeps staring, tongue inadvertently coming out to swipe his bottom lip hungrily, and that’s when Jongin’s had enough because if Kyungsoo keeps doing that he will no longer be only mostly .

He clears his throat awkwardly and Kyungsoo starts but doesn’t really remove his inappropriate gaze from the taller’s member.

Jongin stands there uncomfortably, unsure what to make of the situation. Kyungsoo is obviously checking out his , and although that fact makes him extremely smug, he was not expecting the shorter to be so blatant in his staring.

After another weird second he finally holds up the bundle of dripping clothes and says, “Um. My clothes. They got your floor wet.”

Kyungsoo says nothing, but finally looks up at his face.

“...”

“Baekhyun owes me twenty bucks.”

“Um, sorry?”

“Because that,” He says, gesturing at Jongin’s , “Is not a microdick.”

Jongin chokes and then coughs, Kyungsoo blinking as he realizes what he’s just said.

“Holy did I say that out loud?!”

Jongin nods slowly.

“Well. Here’s the sweater, I’ll go find you pants. Um. Right. Your clothes. I’ll take them. And give them back I mean. Later. Um. Yeah. Okay. Cool.” Kyungsoo lunges forward and snatches the bundle out of Jongin’s hands before rushing out of the room, not even giving Jongin time to respond.

As the door slams shut he lets a smug grin creep over his face.

Take that Byun, he thinks. Microdick my .

He smirks to no one in particular and sticks his middle finger up at an imaginary Baekhyun.

As he waits for Kyungsoo to come back he checks his phone, noticing a new message from Chanyeol.

From: Park, Chanyeol

Hey Jongin I just found out something interesting. Oh Sehun is gay! What would you know? At least now we have an angle to get in. Or rather, you have angle to get it in  ;))

Jongin ignores Chanyeol’s innuendo and puts his phone on the bed. , he had completely forgotten about Oh Sehun. He picks up his phone again and texts Chanyeol for more information.

To: Park, Chanyeol

What kind of man is he into?

From: Park, Chanyeol

Small and cute apparently. But sir I’m pretty sure you’re anybody’s type.

To: Park Chanyeol

Mm.

Jongin mulls over this for a second. Jongin is obviously not small and cute, but as is evident from Kyungsoo’s wandering eyes just a minute ago, he apparently can be anyone’s type.

Kyungsoo.

Oh.

Oh no.

Jongin closes his eyes, willing the thought out his mind as soon as it enters.

No, he can’t do it.

It’s not fair.

He won’t do it.

Kyungsoo enters.

...

“Would you like to come to a gala with me tomorrow?”

He does it.

Perhaps now was not a good time though, because Jongin is still just in his underwear and it’s still distracting Kyungsoo. He quickly pulls on the sweater and trackpants Kyungsoo had brought him as the other looks confused.

“A gala?”

Well, too late now.

“Mm. It’ll be fancy.”

“Well, I was supposed to go to Baek’s parent’s house tomorrow.”

you, Byun Baekhyun.

“Oh.”

“Yeah. I’m sorry.”

It’s silent for a second before they both jump as they hear a- “IT’S OKAY KYUNGGIE I’LL GO BY MYSELF YOU TWO HAVE FUN NOW OKAY?”

“Baekhyun get the out!” Kyungsoo basically screeches.

“I’m not even in! I’m just eavesdropping through the door!”

“Well then off!”

“Love ya!” They hear steps retreating and Kyungsoo blushes.

“Well, I guess I’m free now.”

“So will you come?”

“I’d love to.” He says with a smile, mimicking what Jongin had said earlier that evening.

“What’s it for?” Kyungsoo asks after a moment.

“KNB. There’s a new member on the Board of Directors. I made the invite, as it turns out.”

Kyungsoo looks impressed. “Wow, that’s big. I guess you’re a little higher profile than you told me, huh?”

Jongin feels almost guilty as he nods. He can’t believe that he’s letting himself use Kyungsoo to get to Oh Sehun. Can’t believe that he’s involving the other in his affairs that really he ought to have nothing to do with. And then he can’t believe that he’s this concerned. In this past, he wouldn’t have thought twice about using someone to his advantage, but Kyungsoo makes everything different.

It’s confusing.

“I suppose I’ll need a suit then?” Kyungsoo quips.

“Yeah.”

“Wonderful.”

It won’t be, Jongin thinks in his head.

Jongin is about to nap on the chaise in his office for a couple of hours when he hears a knock. He groans and shoves his face into the cushions, telling whoever it is to come in.

The door creaks open and he lifts his head to be met with the sight of Minseok, Chanyeol trailing closely behind. He sighs and exhales deeply. He won’t be sleeping for a while apparently.

He flops his head back down before swinging his legs off the bed and sitting up. He rubs his eyes sleepily and looks at the two men in front of him.

They’re both squinting and he’s momentarily confused because last time he checked his face still looked okay, but then he remembers that he’s still wearing Kyungsoo’s KAFA sweater and his grey sweats. By the time he had decided he needed to head out, his clothes were still wet and Kyungsoo had pointed out that they’ll just see each other again soon, so he had let Jongin wear his (admittedly comfy) sweats back “home”. Neither of them really protested, Jongin subconsciously sniffing the clothing every once in awhile, and Kyungsoo not-so-subconsciously loving the whole boyfriend look on the taller. Although now, apparently, it may be a bit of an issue.

.

He swallows nervously, wary of what Minseok and Chanyeol are going to say to him.

But they don’t say anything. They just both look at each other, expressions never changing, before slowly turning their heads back to Jongin.

Chanyeol blinks.

“Top or bottom?”

Um.

“Chanyeol!” Minseok scolds.

“What? It’s a perfectly valid question.” The tallest defends himself.

“Chanyeol.”

Minseok glares at Chanyeol disapprovingly and shakes his head. He then gives Jongin an almost pitying look, like he knows how much of a pain the other man in the room can be.

Jongin clears his throat.

“Neither. My clothes just... got wet and he offered me a substitute.” He offers lamely.

“Oh? And why were your clothes wet Jongin?” Chanyeol asks suggestively.

Jongin rolls his eyes. “I was dousing myself in holy water.”

It’s silent.

Chanyeol’s mouth opens and closes.

So does Minseok’s.

“Holy . Minseok.”

“I know.”

“Did Jongin just-”

“He did.”

“Did I just what?”

“Holy Minseok.”

“Woah.”

“What.”

“He made a joke.”

“I know.”

“You two are insufferable.”

“We know.” They say, eerily in sync.

Jongin closes his eyes. He’s really not sure why he even bothers sometimes with these two.

“If you must know, we had a… water fight, of sorts. I was soaking.”

Chanyeol and Minseok both sputter, Chanyeol taking the lead.

“Um, what? You… waterfight? Joking?”

Minseok his head.

“Um, yes?” Jongin is entirely confused.

“Woah.” Chanyeol breathes.

“I know.” Minseok says again.

“So Kyungsoo eh?” Chanyeol asks.

“What about him?”

“Oh I don’t know. Anything you want to tell us?” Minseok joins in. He looks extremely suspicious of Jongin right now, eyes glaring judgmentally into his soul.

Jongin freezes, thinking he should probably tell Chanyeol and Minseok what he told Baekhyun and what he invited Kyungsoo to. God, he was such a mess today. He laughs nervously.

“Well, you see, I had a lovely and very involved conversation with Baekhyun-”

Kyungsoo’s bff.” Minseok whispers to Chanyeol when he sees the giant’s confused expression.

“-and we had quite the heart to heart. Good time really.”

Minseok looks skeptical. “Baekhyun? Really? Just yesterday you wanted to send Yixing after him.”

Jongin lets out an antagonized sigh. “Yes Baekhyun.” A pause. “Anyways, I may or may not have told him who I was. Also, I asked Kyungsoo to come with me tomorrow to the gala.” He continues on, completely ignoring the bewildered looks on his friends’ faces.

No one says anything for a second.

“I had a fantastic day too, by the way, thank you for asking.”

The men in front of him have their jaws hanging open almost comically. Minseok is the first to break the spell.

“Sorry, what? You told someone? Baekhyun? Jongin what the hell?”

“You asked Kyungsoo to the gala tomorrow?!” Chanyeol adds. “Wait nevermind, that makes sense. Kyungsoo seems like Sehun’s type.” Chanyeol answers himself helpfully, earning him a glare from Jongin.

The offended huffs.

“Yes and yes. Look Minseok, Baekhyun guessed. He just looked at me point blank and asked who I really was. But, he promised not to say anything. I’ve been this business long enough to know and honest face when I see one. He was genuine.” He turns to Chanyeol. “And yes, Chanyeol, that is exactly what I’m going for. See? Kyungsoo. Asset. Just as I told you, Min.” Jongin sits back, clearly impressed with his answer.

Minseok doesn’t respond, just nudges Chanyeol and whispers really loudly, “I don’t think he knows Yeol.”

Chanyeol nods his agreement, eyes staring down the mob leader who just sits there on the couch blinking cutely (unintentionally mind you).

“I think you’re right Min.”

Jongin swallows. He’s just really tired, and two in his office aren’t helping.

“When do you think he’ll figure it out?”

“Soon, I hope. I don’t know if I can stand seeing him like this much longer.”

“Agreed.”

Chanyeol sighs. “Jongin, stop being an idiot.”

“What did I do?”

“Nothing.”

“So?”

“That’s the issue.”

“Pardon?”

“It’s okay. You’ll get it someday.”

“I’m confused.”

“We know.”

“May I sleep now?”

“Sure Jongin.”

“Okay.”

“Goodnight.”

“Please leave.”

They leave.

Jongin sleeps.

BAEKHYUN WHAT THE AM I SUPPOSED TO WEAR?!”

“Holy it sounds like you’re shouting in italics.”

I AM!

“It’s wonderful, really,” Baekhyun says dryly, hand coming to cover his ears, “It’s making my ears do this extremely pleasant thing where they bleed.”

“Hey now you’re talking in italics.”

“At least you’ve dropped the caps lock.”

Kyungsoo had asked his roommate to convene in his bedroom for an emergency meeting about an hour and a half ago, and it turns out the crisis involved Kyungsoo’s unfortunate lack of formal clothing. He’s been freaking out about the whole situation for precisely 90 minutes and Baekhyun had given up precisely 30 minutes ago, flopping onto Kyungsoo’s bed and staring at the ceiling with dead eyes. He’s been following a fly trying to push its way into the ceiling light (rather unsuccessfully), because as much as he loves Kyungsoo, the fly is infinitely more interesting right now.

In those past 90 minutes Kyungsoo has managed to dismantle every single drawer in his dresser and lay out the entirety of his closet’s contents onto his floor. Or well, Baekhyun assumes there was a floor there at some point. Somewhere in his best friend’s speech about stripes and the importance their angling he had lost track.

Kyungsoo is currently wearing a crisp white dress shirt under a fitted black suit jacket and a matching midnight bowtie. He looks pretty cut, if Baekhyun must say so, the suit jacket fitting his frame just tight enough to show the narrow flare of his shoulders and the subtle inwards curve of his waist. It would be a completely attractive look if it weren’t for the fact that, well, Kyungsoo isn’t wearing pants.

“I can’t wear these, Baekhyun.” Kyungsoo had deadpanned about fifteen minutes ago, slugging his pants off and throwing them across the room.

“They’re pants. I don’t see what can be so bad about them, Kyung.”

Kyungsoo had just huffed and mumbled something about uncultured and swines before explaining that they were too chunky and made him look “like a you can’t get up”. He’s still not sure what that means.

So now Baekhyun has had to listen to Kyungsoo about how he needs to go in the next two hours to buy a pair of pants that have to be the same black as his suit and make him look three inches taller and-

Huh.

“Oh! Kyungsoo!” Baekhyun exclaims, cutting off his roommate.

Kyungsoo blinks. “What?”

“I have an idea.”

“Well that’s a first.”

Baekhyun smiles sardonically as he leaves the room to go retrieve something, coming back seconds later. Kyungsoo is then met with a swatch of fabric to the face and he spits out the lint sticking to his tongue before examining the bundle and promptly saying- “What the ?”

“They’re pants!” The blonde points out happily.

“I can see that, Baek.” Kyungsoo says back as he examines the pants. They’re black (and match his suit jacket at least), but Kyungsoo has already tried on three other pairs that looked exactly like these.

“Yeah, but they’re my pants.”

“Is that supposed to be special?” Kyungsoo asks, eyebrow raising quizzically.

“I’m offended. Of course they are.” Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. “Anyways, remember when we bought those matching suits last year? Well, first of all we’re adorable, and secondly, you were on that whole I-can-do-more-squats-than-Baekhyun regime, so I actually bought my pants a size smaller than yours.” Kyungsoo squints, not really sure where this is heading. “My point is, I do believe that these pants will, for lack of a better word, squeeze you in all the right places.”

Kyungsoo coughs. “And uh, where exactly do I want to be squeezed?”

“Your lovely and thighs my friend, a true eighth wonder of the world.”

“I think that’s a good thing?”

“Oh trust me it is. Jongin certainly thinks so.”

At the name Kyungsoo sputters, choking on his spit and making enough of a show of it that Baekhyun has to come over and pat his back.

“I’m sorry, what?” Kyungsoo manages weakly.

“I brought up your sweet and I heard no objections.”

“Oh God.” Kyungsoo groans, immediately walking over to his bed and planting his face into the sheets.

“I do hope that you have more ual bedroom noises than that. I mean, I bet some guys are into that whole treat me like God , but personally I think I’d like it much more if you were to call me daddy.”

“You’re disgusting.” Kyungsoo mumbles, voice still muffled by the cotton.

“That I am. But seriously Kyung, just try on the pants.”

Kyungsoo moans once more before pushing himself off the bed and slipping the new pair of slacks on. As soon as he slides them all the way up he realizes that yeah, they do feel a little more snug. He checks himself out in the full length mirror by his closet and noticed that his thighs do look particularly yummy, the black fabric stretched enticingly over muscle and skin.

Baekhyun hums appreciatively and claps his hands. “Oh Soo you look amazing.” He sighs wistfully, for once looking genuinely serious.

Kyungsoo smiles at him. “Thanks Baek. I think I might have to borrow your pants more often.”

Baekhyun laughs. “Like hell that'll happen. You think my pants are too tight.”

“Well if they make my look this all the time I just may reconsider.”

Baekhyun looks aghast. “Who are you and what have you done with Do Kyungsoo? Because I don't know who you are, but my Kyungsoo would never wear anything more revealing than the sweater his great grandmother know for him last Christmas!”

“Jesus Christ Baek, I'm not that bad.”

“Well Jesus is a quite a topic of conversation around Christmas. So is being bad. Huh. Well speaking of topics of conversation, how about Kim Jongin?”

“That was a horrible segway and you know it.”

Baekhyun shrugs. “I've had better.”

Kyungsoo doesn't make a move to say anything so Baekhyun tries again.

“Kim Jong-?”

“Don't.”

“Pardon?”

“I know what you're gonna say Baek and just don't say it. “ Kyungsoo sighs in defeat.

“Oh hoh? And just what do you think I was going to say?”

Kyungsoo ignores him for a moment and walks over to sit cross legged in the middle of his bed. He rests a hand on each knee and experimentally flexes his knuckles against the black fabric there.

“You're going to ask me what's going on and I'm going to say that I don't know and then you'll ask what do you mean you don't know and I'll have to tell you that I don't know because my brain doesn't function when Jongin is around so I can't even formulate an analysis of how I feel around him which is just confusing in itself and then you'll tell me that I should figure it out but really there's no point because he's leaving soon probably back to Canada and I'll never see him again and I'm not sure if I want to or not.”

It's a mouthful and once Baekhyun finishes processing it all he feels guilty. He wants to be able to comfort his friend and tell him that Jongin will always be closer by than he thinks, but he made a promise to Jongin and he unfortunately intends to keep it.

“Kyungsoo I,” He starts, not really sure what else he can say. “I don't know how you feel and I won't tell you how you should feel, but I think you kind of already know, so just, go with it, okay? It may turn out better than you expected. Or a little differently, at the very least.”

“I guess. Maybe. But happy endings and usually happen for guys like me.”

“What do you mean?” Baekhyun asks, confused.

“I make the happy endings in my films, doesn't mean I get to live them.”

“Doesn't mean you can't try.”

“Touché.”

Baekhyun chuckles. “In any case Soo, just have tonight okay? Don't think about you and Jongin. Just think about you, and Jongin, and see where two separate people like yourselves will go. Or don't think at all. Get drunk, have a good time. Just not too much of a good time. I hear they're getting weirdly close with male pregnancies. Gross. Imagine popping a baby out of your ? Your ? No definitely your . No way a baby would fit through your .”

“That was almost cute.” Kyungsoo gives up.

“And you're almost late.” Baekhyun throws casually, glancing at the clock.

.” Kyungsoo breathes, checking his watch and seeing that he has exactly an hour to finish getting ready and get to Seoul Grand Palace. At least he's already dressed.

He quickly leaves his bedroom and heads to the bathroom, running some gel through his hair and splashing his face with water to get rid of some of the dusty pink that always seems to grace his cheeks when Jongin is mentioned.

The next twenty minutes involve a lot of rushing around and bumping into Baekhyun (their apartment isn't that small the blonde just has the knack for always being in the wrong place at the wrong time). He grabs his phone, sprays himself lightly with cologne, and figuring he won't need his wallet just plucks out his driver's license and slips it into his phone case.

When he's finally ready to go Baekhyun looks at him like a proud mom with tears in his eyes saying over and over again how fast his son is growing up to which Kyungsoo flips him off. Baekhyun offers to drive Kyungsoo there since he'll probably be drinking (and mostly because he wants to keep an eye on his roommate), but he's obviously rejected and settles for telling Kyungsoo to call him if anything comes up. Kyungsoo smiles appreciatively and sends Baekhyun one last thumbs up before rushing out the door.

Baekhyun sighs and flops down on the couch.

He really hopes that Jongin knows what he's doing.

Kyungsoo is only twenty minutes late but it seems that the party started long ago.

The noise is overwhelming, the chatter or hundreds of people filling the room and the bustle of servers rushing back and forth creating a cacophony of clinks and clatters. The carpet is patterned, swirls of paisley in shades of deep brown and blue complementing the dark maple that covers the walls. Every so often a floor-to-ceiling mirror will stand against the wood, ten feet wide and creating the illusion that the space is ten times larger. Massive chandeliers hang from the ceiling at intervals, soft glow illuminating pale faces below. Circular white-clothed tables line the perimeter of the room, each with 8 matching covered chairs tucked underneath. A centrepiece of elegant flowers lies on top of each table, allowing you to stay partially hidden if you were to duck behind them.

The majority of the guests mingle on the ballroom floor, centred in the room and all holding crystal glasses of wine. They scream money, Kyungsoo thinks, from the way they walk to the way they dress to the way they all just seem to glow. Kyungsoo suddenly feels too much like an outsider, standing off to the edges and not really knowing anyone. He feels underdressed, even if he’s been assured countless times that he’s not, and he can’t help but think that he probably should have worn a more expensive suit.

He cracks his knuckles nervously and tugs at the hem of his suit jacket, eyes scanning the ballroom. He’s not exactly sure how he’s supposed to find Jongin in all this, the taller probably already having had found his other aristocratic friends in the crowd. He can imagine him laughing with a stupidly sophisticated air, swirling a deep red liquid in his glass and looking absolutely amazing as always. He’s not sure why but the thought almost makes him uncomfortable. He kind of likes it when Jongin is more… mundane. It’s far less intimidating.

But unfortunately for Kyungsoo, Jongin doesn’t do the whole domestic thing very well.

He runs his eyes across the floor once more before he decides he’ll start moving around and searching for Jongin from a different angle, when something catches his eye. A flash of gold that Kyungsoo knows all too well glitters in the corner of his eye, and he follows it to see Jongin in the distance talking and laughing with a tall, slender man who Kyungsoo thinks is far too attractive to be anywhere near Jongin. Not that’s it’s really his place to say anything.

He doesn’t know if he should go over and greet Jongin or if he’d be interrupting his conversation, but he figures that he’s probably starting to look very strange just standing by himself, so it couldn’t get any worse. He pushes himself into motion and slides his way through the throng of people, occasionally bumping into a shoulder and mumbling out a sorry before continuing on his way.

It’s a pity he doesn’t seem to notice the way a pair of brown eyes the same shape as Jongin’s follow him.

When he finally reaches Jongin he approaches from behind, not quite knowing how to introduce himself. He doesn’t want to infringe on whatever the two men are so enthusiastically discussing, but at the same time he can’t very well spend the entire night lingering behind Jongin in his shadow.

But it seems that he won’t really have to decide for himself, because a moment later the stranger glances over Jongin’s shoulder and straight into Kyungsoo’s eyes. It’s a casual look but the man does a double take and locks his gaze onto the smaller’s figure.

He rakes his eyes up and down the slender body, tongue darting out to his lip and eyes just barely squinting, almost predatory. It sends a shiver down Kyungsoo’s spine, and not a pleasant one.

“Well hello there,” The man says seductively, eyes shooting straight past Jongin’s head. This causes the man in question to turn around, eyes widening almost imperceptibly when he’s met with the sight of Kyungsoo. And God, is it a sight.

Jongin’s jaw slackens slightly, breath coming out in small little gaps between his open lips. Kyungsoo looks stunning, pale skin contrasted perfect by the solid black of his suit, hair gelled up perfectly. He can’t help but love Kyungsoo dressed like this, before he realizes that it looks like Kyungsoo is dressed for a job.

Kyungsoo meets Jongin’s eye but the latter is apparently still lost for words and just once-overs Kyungsoo hungrily, lingering on his thighs and hips. He’s already nervous and Jongin isn’t exactly helping so he simply shoots the taller a shy smile in greeting and turns back to the stranger.

“Hi, nice to meet you. I’m Do Kyungsoo.”

“The pleasure is all mine, Mr. Do.” The stranger rolls out smoothly, taking Kyungsoo’s hand into his own and gently pressing his lips to the top of it. He never breaks eye contact and the smouldering look in his eyes has Kyungsoo shrinking in on himself. “Oh Sehun, at your service.” He says as he straightens up.

Kyungsoo blinks, not really sure what he should say next. This is obviously the Oh Sehun that Jongin had mentioned later in the evening last night, the one with exceeding ambition and the drive to make it onto a Board of Directors at such a young age. He impressed to say the least, having thought that such a man would have been rather hermit-like and hunched-back from spending countless hours slaving away at a desk. But instead he’s met with a person almost as attractive as Jongin himself, all long limbs and sharp jawline. Sehun stands a few inches taller than Jongin, broad shoulders spanning much wider than Kyungsoo’s own. His cheekbone stand tall and his skin shines under the pale lighting of the chandeliers. His dark eyes are framed by even darker eyebrows, and his jet black hair adds to the severity of his look. But it’s really not an unattractive look at all. Quite the opposite actually.

He’s brought back from his staring with a brief clearing of the throat. “Excuse me Mr. Do, if I’m being rude, but I must say that I don’t recall seeing you on my guest list. Sneaking in, are we?” A smirk. “Not that I could kick out a pretty face like yours if you were, mind you.” He teases with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

Kyungsoo blushes. “Definitely not. And uh, just Kyungsoo is fine.” He finishes, trying to look anywhere but the man’s greedy gaze. The way he ualizes the title makes him squirm.

“Well Kyungsoo,” Sehun says slowly, “In that case you can call me Sehun. It’s nice to drop formalities every once in awhile.” He checks Kyungsoo out again, thoughtfully. “But I am curious. How did you manage to score an invite to my inauguration banquet?”

Uh.

“Funny story actually,” Kyungsoo coughs because Sehun is literally ing him with his eyes and he’s not sure how he should feel about that, “I’m, um, here as Mr. Kim’s plus one.” He says, gesturing to Jongin with his eyes.

It’s only now that Jongin seems to come back to life, having been lost in Kyungsoo for the past 3 minutes. It would be a complete and utter lie to say that Jongin did not enjoy Kyungsoo in a suit, loving the way it accentuated his figure in all the right places and gave him a crisp aura around the edges. He tears his gaze away from the shorter and takes a breath before addressing Sehun, who now raises a brow in question.

“Right, Mr. Oh, this is my…” He pauses, unsure of what to call Kyungsoo, “...plus one for the night. I’m sure you’ll both become well acquainted.” He recovers.

Sehun nods in understanding, seconds later going to back to ignoring Jongin completely in favour of Kyungsoo once he realizes that the former won’t be a threat to his libido.

“It’s hard to believe, Kyungsoo, that Kai here managed to snag someone as stunning as yourself.” Kyungsoo blushes even darker at the compliment, and Jongin wants to crush the glass in his fingers at the way Kyungsoo’s eyes seem to sparkle under the praise.

The shorter shoots him a confused look, however, at the name Kai, and Jongin just shakes his head, promising later in mouthed words.

Kyungsoo seems to understand and backs off.

“Thank you, Sehun,” He mumbles self-consciously. “That’s um, very kind of you.”

“It’s not kind if it’s the truth, darling.” Sehun practically purrs, and Kyungsoo doesn’t think he’s ever blatantly blushed so much in his entire life. He’s not exactly accustomed to attractive, tall, and mysterious men hitting on him so openly, but hey, he’ll take it.

He laughs somewhat nervously. “Ha, says a person like you. It’s no wonder you made the board Sehun. I’m sure they would have let you in based on looks alone.” Kyungsoo’s babbling, he knows, but he feels like he’s required to return the sentiment.

“Ah, so sweet,” Sehun drawls warmly, “The words of an angel from the mouth of an angel, no?”

And Jongin feels like he’s about to rip Oh Sehun’s head off and fling it across the room, because no one should be saying those things to Kyungsoo besides him, and Kyungsoo definitely should not be blushing at anyone whose name does not start with Jong and end in In. His hold on the narrow part of his glass tightens and he grinds his teeth together, almost harshly enough for it to be heard above the mix of voices from all around.

Kyungsoo laughs lightly. “I’m no angel.” He offers sheepishly.

Sehun’s smirk just deepens. “Well of course.” A pause. “I’m sure you can be… quite bad, Kyungsoo.”

At this Kyungsoo does actually choke, coughing on his own spit for a second before composing himself and bringing his eyes up to almost meet Sehun’s.

He glances to Jongin for help, but he’s been uncharacteristically quiet throughout the entire ordeal. Kyungsoo frowns and drops his gaze. He would have thought this would be Jongin’s area of expertise. Talking to people. Not his.

Sehun seems to sense his discomfort and laughs loudly. “My apologies, Kyungsoo, I had no intentions to frighten you. I simply enjoy admiring beautiful things, and you, my dear, are quite a beautiful thing.” He smiles, this time the corners of his mouth taking on a softer grin. “I would apologize further for my forwardness, but unfortunately it's just not in my nature.” He chuckles lightly, Kyungsoo returning the sound with his own.

“That’s um, alright I suppose. I was just a little thrown off.” He admits shyly, and Sehun is wholly engrossed in the faint blush tinting his cheeks.

They move off to the side of the room after that, the three taking a seat at one of the tables with Kyungsoo sandwiched between the two taller men.

Kyungsoo finds himself brought into an animated discussion with Sehun, so distracted that he doesn't notice the protective arm Jongin has slung across the back of his chair throughout.

He and Sehun talk about everything, from Kyungsoo’s aspirations as a filmmaker (which quite impresses Sehun), to Sehun’s goals as an executive of the company (which thoroughly impresses Kyungsoo). They talk about the business aspects of both professions, the contrasts, the similarities, the pros, and the cons.

Kyungsoo finds that Sehun is significantly less terrifying to talk to than he had originally thought, only needing to calm down his initial attraction to the shorter. Sehun is actually quite likeable, all boisterous laughs and witty comments. He's good for adding in a helpful word here and there, and when he speaks Kyungsoo is genuinely interested.

But behind him Jongin sits stiffly, observing the exchange between the two and only speaking up when asked a direct question. His answers are limited to gruff grunts and short yes’s and no’s, and any other day Sehun would have questioned how strange this sudden change in behaviour was, but today he is far too enthralled by Jongin’s guest to even notice.

Jongin disapproves of Sehun, he concludes, at least for Kyungsoo. The man is much too tall and far too extreme to be anything that Kyungsoo could possibly want (not that he's really that much different).

It doesn't help that Sehun has been inching closer and closer to Kyungsoo throughout their conversation, blaming his actions on the loud noises that periodically ring out. The silver-haired man now sits almost knee-to-knee to the shorter, placing his palm flat over Kyungsoo’s knee whenever he laughs. Kyungsoo has become quite comfortable with Sehun and forgets to push his hand away. Every time.

Jongin is slowly beginning to heavily regret his decision to bring Kyungsoo today. Yes, he is gaining a stable inside man through Kyungsoo, likely the best he'll ever get, but at the same time he's not sure exactly how much longer he can deal with Sehun making Kyungsoo blush every other minute. It's ridiculous, really, the amount of compliments one can fit into a conversation so casually. Jongin should take notes.

“Sehun,” Kyungsoo begins, “How did you manage to throw such an amazing party on such short notice?”

Sehun leans back in his chair, eyes sparkling with amusement. “Well you see, Kyungsoo, I had to make sure that it would meet the standards of a treasure like yourself.” Kyungsoo gives a small smile, slowly getting used to Sehun’s inescapable compliments. “And perhaps then even a bit better. I couldn't have you taking all the focus on my very special night, now could I? What a shame it would have been to spend all this money only to have everyone staring at the one jewel I didn't pay for.”

And when Kyungsoo ing giggles Jongin can feel jealousy flare through his veins and he shifts to shadow the dark-haired male behind his shoulder. Sehun seems to remember he's there and blinks, almost as if he's surprised. Even he can see the almost hidden but glaringly threatening look in Jongin’s eyes, and he seems curious.

“Kyungsoo, love, would you mind going to get us another round of champagne?” Sehun asks nonchalantly.

“Oh, sure, no problem.” He replies, jumping up cheerily and disappearing into the crowd.

With the smallest male gone Sehun seems to sober up a bit, warm smile sliding into one of a businessman. He regards Jongin with questioning eyes and the latter can only inwardly groan are what's to come next.

“Is he yours?” Sehun asks, point-blank.

Jongin shrugs, realizing that now is probably the time to work out his plan and get information from Sehun, but he can't say that he's happy to do so.

“Depends on why you want to know.” Jongin says offhandedly.

“I want him.” Sehun offers bluntly, like it's the most obvious thing in the world. “The only question is, will you let me?”

Jongin seems to think for a moment. “I'm willing to share.” He answers finally, hand coming up to card through his hair.

“Excellent.” Sehun clucks his tongue. “Well, I’m afraid I can’t very well leave with him tonight, it would be rather improper of myself. However I’d love to arrange a… meeting with him. My office, of course. Say, Monday? A great way to start off the week if you ask me.”

No one did, Jongin bites sarcastically in his head.

“And, I trust you know, this would have to be rather discreet, can’t have wandering cameras sticking their noses where they shouldn’t.” He waves his hand vaguely. “I’ll text Kyungsoo the access code to the back door of the building, and if it so pleases you, you can accompany him there, but I won’t let you in. I can see how protective you are of him, so I’m doing my best to find a middle ground. I’m afraid that two unknown, attractive men coming into my office will be a little suspicious.”

Jongin nods slowly, trying to figure out a way he can have the code sent to him. It wouldn’t be hard at all to take it more forcefully from Kyungsoo’s phone, but it’s not something he wants to do. “Mr. Oh, I’m sure it would be much easier if I were to deliver Kyungsoo directly to your office. Not involve him with all this secrecy and codework. A few numbers can be quite a powerful thing to possess.”

“As I am well aware, Mr. Kim.” Sehun laughs, a full body one that turns the attention of several nearby people. “But I am not an idiot. I don’t know who you are, but that’s exactly my issue. No one came to this party that I didn’t know, much less two people together. Now Kyungsoo over there is a sweetheart. I doubt he would be capable of doing anything remotely violent or suspect, and he’s cute, so why not have a little fun with him? You, on the other hand, I’m not so sure. If I weren’t absolutely certain that there’s more to you than meets the eye before, well, after seeing you practically growling at me for the past hour I know it now. I don’t particularly care who you are, but I don’t trust you either. I’ll send the code to Kyungsoo. That’s that. And trust me, I will know if you take that code from him.”

Jongin exhales, secretly impressed. He thinks he might understand why Sehun has earned such an esteemed position at such a young age now; the man is clearly extremely analytical. He weighs his options and decides that pushing it won’t help him. Sehun is going to get him nowhere.

But he’s not scared of his threats either. He will get that access key from Kyungsoo, and he will get into that vault. A new member on the Board of Directors isn’t going to change that.

He smiles coldly. “I see, Mr. Oh. Unfortunate for myself to have lost someone’s trust so quickly, but I’ll survive.”

“Ahh but you see, Mr. Kim, you can’t lose something you never gained.” He turns his head, and Jongin follows to see Kyungsoo coming up to the table balancing three tall glasses of champagne in his arms. He looks concentrated, and Jongin thinks it’s adorable the way his tongue just barely peeks out the corner of his mouth.

Kyungsoo places the glasses on the table somewhat disgracefully, almost falling over in his attempt not to spill anything. Jongin reflexively wraps an arm around the younger’s waist from his sitting position, his other hand placing itself on Kyungsoo’s hip to steady him. Kyungsoo blushes furiously at him as he straightens himself. Jongin smiles softly at him (the way he only smiles at Kyungsoo), and Sehun smirks from his other side.

Jongin unravels his grip on the shorter and motions for him to sit down, but before he can Sehun stands up.

“Kyungsoo, love, would you care to join me for a dance?” He asks, Kyungsoo ducking his head at the word love.

“Um…” He looks back at Jongin, seemingly asking permission, but Jongin can only grind his teeth and say nothing.

Kyungsoo frowns. Jongin been like this all night, all brooding looks and cold glances. He’ll admit that yes, maybe he was focused on Sehun a bit, but Jongin is more than capable of joining a conversation. Fine. If Jongin wants to be like this he can, but Kyungsoo can play at this game too.

“I’d love to, Sehun.” He says cutely, widening his eyes and shrugging up his shoulders ever-so-slightly.

Sehun replies with a yes, grinning because he knows what Kyungsoo is trying to do, but Jongin seems unaware and just grumbles pitiably.

The silver-haired man holds his arm out for Kyungsoo to take, which he gladly accepts and allows himself to be led to the centre of the room. The floor has been cleared out of guests and been filled with couples all elegantly sweeping around on their feet to the classical tunes that seem to pour out of every corner.

Jongin watches miserably from his seat as Sehun grasps one of Kyungsoo’s hands in his own and places the other on the shorter’s waist. Kyungsoo’s free hand comes up to rest on Sehun’s elbow and Jongin feels his gut twisting.

The feeling only intensifies as he follows the pair around with his eyes, watching them circle around in a waltz and hating how Kyungsoo smiles so happily. It makes him sick to see the corners of Kyungsoo’s eyes crinkle, to see the whites of his teeth proudly displayed for someone else. But he also can’t help but think that Kyungsoo looks beautiful tonight, in his dark suit and glowing skin. He sighs, because Kyungsoo deserves to be like this all the time. Happy. And he’s not sure that’s something he can give him.

Across the room Sehun leads his dance partner in a circle, passing important figures and offering them polite grins. Kyungsoo seems to be enjoying himself, humming the tunes he hears even if he doesn’t exactly know how they go, and it brings a smile to Sehun’s face. It’s refreshing, how innocent Kyungsoo is. So untainted by the corporate world. He remembers a time when he was like that, although that time now seems very long ago.

He stares at the wistful look that grows on Kyungsoo’s face as they pass several metres away from Jongin, sees the conflicted cloud that shadows his cheery eyes. Kyungsoo must really not know, he concludes, how much the sitting man stares back at him too. Sehun may want Kyungsoo, and he still would like to ruin the younger, but that doesn’t mean that he’s a monster.

“Kyungsoo.” He calls softly. But the other man doesn’t even notice, too caught up in staring somewhat sadly at Jongin. Sehun can almost feel the sigh he lets out.

“Kyungsoo,” He tries again, this time a little louder. Kyungsoo starts slightly, blinking at Sehun before he puts on a large grin.

“Sorry Sehun, you were saying?” He asks politely, still distracted by the brooding figure across the room.

Sehun laughs ardently. “It’s alright Kyungsoo, you don’t have to pretend to be interested.” Kyungsoo looks confused so the taller continues. “I can see the way you look at Kai. You like him a lot, don’t you?”

The shorter chokes and trips over his own feet, Sehun catching him (and Jongin glaring in the distance). “I- um- I-”

“It’s alright, Kyungsoo, I can tell you do.” Kyungsoo looks like he’s about to defend himself, or even worse protest, so Sehun goes on. “I just think that you should know, however, that Kai feels the same way. I’ve never seen someone looks at another so… readily, if I may say so.”

Kyungsoo ducks his head, finding his feet engrossingly interesting at the moment. “I’m sure I don’t know what you’re talking about Sehun.”

“Don’t play pretend Kyungsoo.” Sehun sighs. “I may have thrown out any semblance of hope for a romantic future long ago for the sake of my career, but it doesn’t mean that I can’t recognize one for others. Whatever it is that you and Kai may have, in my humblest opinion I am telling you to pursue it, because the way he looks at you, and the way you look at him, well, it almost makes me want to believe in love again.”

Kyungsoo smiles. “Almost being the keyword here, Kyungsoo. Almost.” At this Kyungsoo breaks into a full on grin, and Sehun thinks he may understand why Jongin doesn’t want to let him go (far away Jongin’s glass shatters in his grip and the woman sitting to his left looks mildly horrified).

“Thank you, Sehun.” Kyungsoo sighs. “I’ll… I’ll think about it.” He looks over at Jongin and even from thirty feet away he can see that Jongin is already staring at him. Jongin’s eyebrows and creased and honestly, Kyungsoo wants nothing more than to smooth them out with soft brushes of his fingers. When Jongin catches his eye neither can seem to look away, and Kyungsoo offers him a small smile. Jongin features slowly soften the more he looks at Kyungsoo, and moments he later he offers back one of his own. Kyungsoo thinks it’s amazing, that even from this far away Jongin looks breathtaking, and across the room, Jongin is thinking the exact same thing.

Still holding his hand and waist but none of his attention, Sehun thinks.

He did mean what he said, about Kyungsoo and Jongin having something different. And the way that Kyungsoo is blatantly ignoring him in favour of staring at Jongin makes him feel guilty for wanting infringe on whatever the other two have. He decides, in that moment, that he’ll give Kyungsoo the code to get into his office, but not because he wants the shorter. He’s curious as to where Kyungsoo and Jongin will go, so he resolves that he’ll always have his door open for Kyungsoo to talk to him. It makes him feel a bit better too, for all the horribly cold things he’ll probably have to do in the future as an executive of Korea’s largest bank. He chuckles.

“Kyungsoo, I think you should go to him now.” Kyungsoo whips his head back to Sehun, growing pink when he realizes how rude he just was. Jongin’s gaze hardens far away. “I’m pretty sure Kai is about to bite my head off, so go.”

Kyungsoo smiles. “In that case how could I refuse?” He pauses for a moment, seeming to collect his thoughts. “Thank you, Sehun, it was a pleasure talking to you.”

“Likewise.” The taller confirms, bowing slightly to Kyungsoo before walking off and disappearing into a sea of satin dresses and silk suits.

Kyungsoo turns around, slowly moving through the dancing couples back to his table. Back to Jongin. When he arrives Jongin looks up at him expectantly, and Kyungsoo just offers, “How about we get out of here?”

Jongin has never heard anything better in his life.

 

A/N: Hey again ^.^ so that's part 3, and let's just say that things are gonna start happening after this, so look forward to that. Thank you all so much and comment, upvote, and subscribe! Cya soon ;)