Part II

Forget Me Not (And Don’t Move On)

7771 words

2.

Kyungsoo has been trying to unlock his door for five minutes, which doesn't sound that long but if you think about it that's 300 seconds. He would know. He's been counting.

He repeatedly attempts to jab the key into the hole, only to have it jam halfway and refuse to move. Then to pull it out takes an incredible amount of tugging and as the key comes free with a pop it's back to square one.

As Kyungsoo tries again for the 12th time he curses under his breath at Byun Baekhyun and the world. He told his piece of roommate to replace the lock months ago, because Baekhyun has a “contact, don't worry”. But the lock has yet to be replaced, and every time it does this Kyungsoo is one step closer to plotting Baekhyun’s death.

Stupid ing door why don't you just ing open I'm tired and ing hungry and I just want to ing eat you door-”

“YAH DO KYUNGSOO STOP ING AROUND AND GET IN HERE!”

“!” Kyungsoo yells, jumping ten feet into the air and falling quite literally onto his . His heart pounds in his head and he pants as he gets over his shock. Baekhyun will give him PTSD one day, he swears.

“What the Baekhyun?!” Kyungsoo shouts back as he stands up, hands going to rub his lower back in pain.

“WHY ARE YOU AVOIDING ME KYUNGSOO I THOUGHT YOU LOVED ME!”

“Jesus Christ Baekhyun I'm not ignoring you the ing lock just doesn't work because someone won't get it fixed.

Kyungsoo hears a sniffle. “I don’t believe you. I can't believe this friendship is built on lies.”

Kyungsoo sighs in exasperation, eyes glaring into the peephole.

“Oh shut up Baek, and let me in.”

“No. I don't let in liars.”

“Yeah well I don't live with four year olds. Guess we don't get everything we want.”

“Hey! That's rude! Take that back!”

“Baekhyun I am a grown man I do not take things back.”

“Oh yeah? Well then, how about you stay out there?”

“You're going to let me in.” 

“You're right I am. But first you must tell me about your date with Tall, Dark, and Mysterious.”

“Are you kidding me?” Kyungsoo had told Baekhyun about his weird encounters finally the night before, earning smug looks from his roommate and little kissy sounds made by his ear while he tried to watch television.

Kyungsoo gives up. “How about you let me in and then I'll tell you about it?”

“Nope tell me now. That's what you get for being a liar who's trying to avoid me.”

“Oh my God. How about you let me in and I'll tell you about it while I cook for you?

Kyungsoo hears a rustling sound two seconds before Baekhyun’s cheery face pokes out the door.

“Hey Soo! How long have you been out there?” He grins impossibly wide and opens the door for a less-than-pleased Kyungsoo.

“ off, Byun.” Kyungsoo grumbles.

“Uh huh. By the way, I don't actually give a about you lying to me-” Baekhyun holds up his hand when Kyungsoo attempts to refute the accusation. “- I just wanted you to tell me what happened with Mr. Actor-Guy. And then you just so happened to offer to cook for me! Brilliant. So yeah! How was it?”

Kyungsoo often has troubles following Baekhyun when he speaks, so he just ignores him and plops his stuff down on the kitchen table. Small, but round and a light oak wood. He walks the two feet it takes to get to their linoleum-floored, sixties-wallpapered, white-cabineted kitchen, making his way to the sink to wash his hands before he touches the food.

He shakes his hands off when he's done and haphazardly dries them off on the dish towel hanging off the white oven.

“Kyung?”

Kyungsoo sighs, deciding hell just deal with Baekhyun now and turns around to face his roommate, hands behind him on the counter as he leans back onto it.

“Yes?” He says with a fake angelic smile.

“Tall? Dark? Mysterious? Who is he?”

“His name’s Kim Jongin-”

“Oh I know him. He's that guy that been like, blowing up the scene recently.”

Kyungsoo chokes.

“Wait, no, that’s Kim Jonghwan. Nevermind. Continue.”

Different actor. Thank God.

“Uh, anyways… yeah his name’s Kim Jongin.” Kyungsoo stops there, just to aggravate Baekhyun.

When Baekhyun catches on that Kyungsoo isn’t going to reveal any further details he pitches a fit.

“That's it? C’mon Soo I didn't wait all day for his name is Kim Jongin. I could have figured that out on Line or something. Deeetails Kyung. Details.”

Kyungsoo laughs. “You're too easy Baek,” The aforementioned frowns. “He's tall, he's dark, and he's mysterious. And he's also devastatingly attractive. That too.”

“Ah, so you're finally admitting that you're of the male-liking-male variety?” Baekhyun quips with a smirk.

“I've told you, I'm of the male-liking-anything variety.”

“Even me?”

“Oh God no.”

“What the Kyung.”

“So.”

“No you I don't want to listen anymore.”

“Yes you do.”

“Yes I do. Please continue.”

“Thank you. Anyways, yeah. He was really courtly and elegant and regal and all that and he wore all black and his hair is better than yours.” Kyungsoo finishes with a challenging smile.

Baekhyun gasps. “I call bull. That's just not true and you know it. There has never been another being on this planet that has had better hair than me.”

Kyungsoo walks over to join Baekhyun who's sitting at the kitchen table, dinner being delayed for the time being.

“Trust me Baek, this guy’s hair is beautiful. It's like, all chocolate-y brown and it looks like it's so soft and it's glossy and holy he must do some serious conditioning.”

“ man, sounds like you're in love.” Baekhyun deadpans.

“Shove off.” Kyungsoo says with a smile as he leans over and flicks Baekhyun on the forehead. He loves when they joke around like this. “He just has nicer hair than you is all. It's refreshing.”

“Nonsense. I do believe you are out of your mind, you must be hungry.” Baekhyun pauses, shifting gears. “So go forth woman, do your duty! Make me a hearty meal!” Baekhyun exclaims, voice turning into a horrible imitation of an old fashioned man from the twenties.

“That was so unbelievably ist I'm going to forget you ever said that. But anyways, what do you want for dinner?”

“Mmm.” Baekhyun taps his temple, seemingly deep in concentration. “Kimchi spaghetti.” He says finally.

Kyungsoo winks. “Gotcha.”

He gets up and goes back to the kitchen, throwing on his apron and turning into chef mode. Baekhyun once told him that this was his favourite Kyungsoo-mode, because he got all concentrated and his nose scrunched up or some . Kyungsoo thinks Baekhyun likes it because it means food for him.

About thirty minutes later Kyungsoo sets down two steaming bowls at the table where Baekhyun has been waiting the whole time. The latter immediately begins to stuff his face, spitting it all back out when he curses at how hot it is. Kyungsoo smiles.

“Slow down Baekhyun, it won't run away from you.”

Baekhyun looks up at him. “Ha ha.” He says sarcastically.

The two eat in silence until their bowls are empty, Baekhyun going back for seconds. When their stomachs are both full they lean back almost simultaneously, at which Kyungsoo mumbles something about unfortunate twins. It earns him a kick in the shin.

“So Kyung, did this Kim Jongin guy say he'll do it for you? The film?”

“Uh, about that.” He pauses nervously. “He uh, he can't, because of some contract he'd be violating back in Canada. But, he said he'd still help me.”

“And just how would he do that?” Baekhyun asks suspiciously.

“Well he said that he could be there to give advice and acting tips to whoever is the main instead.”

Baekhyun smiles warmly.

“That's great Soo! Do you have a lead then?”

“I have one in mind.” Kyungsoo answers mysteriously.

“Oh yeah? Who?”

“His name. Oh . It was something like, fix the door you motherer.” He finishes, leaning towards Baekhyun pointedly.

“Yeah yeah, whatever.” Baekhyun smiles gleefully. “I'll do it.”

“Really Baek?” He nods. “Oh God thank you so much. I have a good feeling about this one, I really do.”

And Baekhyun could see that yeah, he really did.

Kyungsoo has always been passionate about what he does, never once regretting his career path, which was always something Baekhyun has admired. But he sees the spark in Kyungsoo’s eyes when he explains what Baekhyun will have to do. It's like his friend is on the verge of something great, and Baekhyun, for all his faults and crazy antics, is more than willing to help him get there.

“It sounds a little difficult, Soo, I'm not going to lie. I'm not sure I can give you the performance you'll need, but I can try.”

“Aw Baek don't be modest. You major in music. Of course you can give me a performance.”

He grins knowingly. “I'll do my best.”

“You better, Byun.” Kyungsoo says with a jokingly stern glare. “You better.”

“Just for you Kyungie.” Baekhyun says with a wink.

“You little-” But before he finishes Baekhyun has already shot up and is running away. “I hate that name! Get back here!” He follows after Baekhyun, running after him and away from their finished and forgotten bowls of spaghetti.

Twenty minutes later after Kyungsoo has finished his tickle attack on Baekhyun the two collapse side by side on the living room floor, breaths matching evenly.

Kyungsoo turns his head to look at his best friend.

“Baekhyun…” He begins tentatively. “Thank you, really. You don't have to do this, I know, but thank you for doing it anyways. This means a lot to me.”

Baekhyun returns his grateful smile. “I know, Soo, I know.”

He reaches over and squeezes Kyungsoo’s hand once before letting go, the two friends staring at the ceiling in comfortable silence.

Jongin runs a hand through his hair, other fist balling in frustration. He takes a deep breath in through his mouth and pushes it out harshly through his nose.

Tonight was meant to be a relaxing night, or as relaxing as receiving an arms shipment could be. It was a set deal, details worked out and orders clear. Yifan had promised him 10 dozen semi-automatics and 6 dozen fully-loaded hand grenades, but none of them were anywhere to be seen.

He slams his first on the table, shaking the pen beside him. Joonmyeon had told him the news barely five minutes ago, and Jongin didn't even let him finish before he growled through clenched teeth for Joonmyeon to go get Yixing.

This had been the assassin’s deal, and it wasn't the first major one Jongin had trusted him with either.

His head whips up at the sound of the door squeaking open. “Mr. Kim, Sir.” Comes the muffled question for permission to enter through the just-open door.

“Come in.” Jongin answers gruffly.

In walks Yixing, hair mussed and clothes crooked. He’s obviously been having a ty night.

“Have a seat Yixing.” Jongin says calmly, his quiet demeanour clearly scaring the out of the Chinese male. He’s a ticking time bomb, and they both know it’s only a matter of time before he loses it.

“I SAID SIT!” He yells when Yixing doesn't move, the latter scrambling as fast as humanly possible to sit on the edge of one of the chairs opposite Jongin. The assassin looks poised for flight.

“How has your evening been?” He begins. Yixing blinks nervously. “I must say, I was not expecting to see you here in my office tonight. So please, do tell me: why are you in my office?” He nods at Yixing in prompt.

“The uh, the shipment is missing, sir.” He says somewhat miserably.

“Ah, so it is. And tell me, why is it missing?” The last part comes out as a growl.

Yixing flinches. “Yifan ran into a problem with customs. He had promised me he could get the shipment across the border without having to pay duty, but border security caught him on the way out. They're not charging him, or us, criminally, but because it's a class 5 shipment they're expecting us to pay the regular fee.”

“Hmm, so not only are my arms not here, as promised, now I have to ing pay for them get here?!” His voice has now risen to a crescendo, barking into Yixing’s face.

“I'm working on it, sir. If we can get the shipment out of custom’s hands we can move it to Japan and ship it from there where the duties are almost non-existent. I have a friend on shift at one of the more… local, Japanese shipping companies, and if I slip him a favour he’ll ship it and erase all evidence that it was ever moved. We can have it here in two day's time.”

“Two days.” A nod. “If it is a second later than that, then Yixing, understand me, I have no problem taking my anger out on you. You've done me well these past years, so don't give me a reason to make you expendable. You have 48 hours. See to it that it takes 47.”

Yixing nods firmly.

“Good. Now get the out of my office and fix this.” Yixing gets up gracefully and disappears out the door.

He lets out a sigh of frustration. Dealing with the Syndicate is one thing but dealing with governments is a just a pain in the .

As the door swings closed a dress shoe-clad foot suddenly sticks itself between the door and its frame.

Jongin looks up, raising an eyebrow, waiting for whoever it is to show themselves.

The door pushes open and it's Chanyeol coming in, sitting down in a chair with lax posture and a lazy grin.

“That was a little harsh wasn't it? Poor guy didn't deserve all that. Heard it right through the door. Well, a crack in the door. Well, the door wasn't actually closed. Honestly sir, you should be more careful. You never know who might be listening,” Chanyeol wiggles his eyebrows.

Jongin huffs. Chanyeol is the last thing he wants to deal with right now.

“Whatever it is that you want Chanyeol, make it brief. I have neither the time nor the patience for this right now.”

“Aha, so it's straight down to business! I like it.” Jongin frowns, very obviously unimpressed with the giant’s attempt at gallantry. “Hm, well I have message from Minseok and a message from myself. Which would you like to hear first?” Chanyeol asks in a far too cheery tone.

Jongin shoots him a pointed look.

“Ah, my choice, I see. In that case, I'll go first.” He pauses for what Jongin assumes to be dramatic effect. “Well sir, the bank feed has been secured by yours truly, all 58 cameras now at your disposal. And the best part is, the bastards have no clue!” Chanyeol exclaims giddily, hands clapping together. “I've taken the liberty of recording blank footage, so as soon as we're ready to do our thing I'll be able to loop the cameras and make it seem like we're not even there. A classic trick. I learned it from that American movie, National Treasure or something. It's great.”

Chanyeol leans back in his chair with a grin on his face, all too telling of just how pleased he is with himself. He looks at Jongin expectantly.

Jongin grunts in acknowledgment. “I'd say we'll be ready in two weeks. Can you hold the feed until then?” Chanyeol gives an affirmative nod. “Perfect. And, the second part?”

“Oh yeah, Minseok. This isn't as exciting. Or well, it won't be to you. Minseok just wanted me to relay that he's very proud of your new job, Sir. Wishes you the best in your upcoming film.” Chanyeol looks like he's barely holding in a laugh and Jongin silences him with a cold glare.

“That son of a . How did he know?”

Chanyeol smirks. “You see, sir, this is what happens when you make someone your second in command. They have access to almost all the same eyes that you do.”

Jongin sighs. His hair has taken a beating tonight, he remarks, as he once again runs his fingers through it. 

“It is what it is. This doesn’t leave his room, understood?”

“Perfectly. That’s why Minseok sent me here to talk to you.” He says sarcastically.

Jongin shakes his head, very much so over Chanyeol for the moment. “Where is Minseok, exactly?”

“Oh, you know, somewhere off ing Joonmyeon. Or being ed by Joonmyeon. I still haven't decided who’s the top there.”

He glances at Jongin to be met with a horrified expression that sends him into a fit of laughter.

“Oh my God!” A laugh. “You should-” Another. “-see your face-” One more. “-right now,” And a final one for good measure.

“I was kidding! I swear!” He continues as Jongin begins to give his signature Mr. Kim look.

At this Chanyeol sobers up a bit, taking a deep breath and letting his red face cool down.

“I'm sorry sir, but it was really funny.”

“Yes yes Chanyeol, two of my most trusted subordinates… frolicking… around my back is hilarious.” He looks behind Chanyeol for a moment. “And please, when the door is closed, drop the sir. You're making me feel old.”

He sighs in defeat.

Chanyeol laughs. “With all due respect, sir, I believe that anyone who uses the word frolicking must, in fact, be over the age of sixty, and thus requires the use of the word sir while being addressed by another.” He says challengingly with a smirk in his gaze.

“Park, you're older than me you know.”

“Never said I wasn't.”

Chanyeol shakes his head and moves to stand up. The giant adjusts his suit jacket at the hem and shakes his pants down where they’ve bunched up before he starts walking towards the exit. As his hand rests on the doorknob he shoots back a quick- “Take care, Jongin.” -before disappearing again.

When the door gently shuts Jongin is left alone with his thoughts. He has a million things racing through his head right now, none of them exactly pleasant. Like whether or not he'll have to kill Yixing in two days just to prove a point, or whether or not he'll accidentally murder Park Chanyeol in his sleep. You know, normal things.

And as much as he doesn't care to admit it, one of those million things centres around a small man with a soft black fringe that hangs only halfway over his forehead.

Jongin sighs while he folds his hands on the desk in front of him. He tilts his head to the side and contemplates them for a second, deep breath drawing in and out.

His head falls onto the open palms with a thud.

He wakes to a headache and a message from an unknown number.

Jongin’s head pounds as he reaches blindly for the encrypted cellphone that lies under his pillow, right beside the 9mm he keeps for emergencies.

His hand closes around the device and pulls it out, thumb clicking the home button and screen lighting up. He blinks harshly, shying away from the brightness, rubbing his eyes as the words become less fuzzy.

The only thing he can make out is the time displayed in large numbers, reading 1:45 pm. In the profession that he has, he's lucky to find sleep whenever he can, so he had crawled into bed sometime around dawn after an exhausting night of sorting out his arms shipment. It's the longest he's slept in a while, normally stealing one- or two-hour naps on the chaise in his office. He yawns tiredly before rubbing his screen.

This is his “personal” phone, or as personal as a mob leader’s phone could be. Whenever he needs a phone for business purposes it's always a single use phone that Chanyeol has programmed to be untraceable. The only people who have this number are his four trusted senior officers and-

Kyungsoo, he remembers as the words on the screen come into focus. The number has no contact name in its preview but as everyone else on his phone does, it's obviously the shorter man who's contacting Jongin. He unlocks the phone and opens his messages.

From: 416.697.1288

Hi! (^-^)/ This is Do Kyungsoo, the film student from a few days ago! I was just wondering, are you free at all today to meet with me and my main actor? Not anything official, just as more of an orientation? Wait no not an orientation, that sounds too fancy. Just like a meet-and-greet you know, a get-to-know-you thing? I was just thinking that maybe if you met him it would give you a starting point? Sorry I'm rambling, but yeah, are you free to meet today? Thanks again so much!

P.s. Sorry if I caught you at a bad time! (T_T)

Jongin almost smiles as he reads the message that is quite literally all over the place. He adds Kyungsoo's name before typing a more formal response (he doesn't know how to write any other kind).

To: Do, Kyungsoo

Good afternoon, Kyungsoo. I am pleased that you found my number. I am free today at 6pm. Would that be alright?

The response is almost instantaneous, the eagerness a little more than obvious.

From: Do, Kyungsoo

Yeah! That's perfect! (*^_^*)

Where can we meet??¿

To: Do, Kyungsoo

Do you know of Exodus?

From: Do, Kyungsoo

(O_O) Is that the one in Gangnam??!

Jongin laughs at Kyungsoo’s excessive use of emoticons. It's childish, but strangely Jongin finds it works when he envisions the shorter overenthusiastically smashing buttons on his phone.

To: Do, Kyungsoo

Indeed.

From: Do, Kyungsoo

Woah okay that's amazing! I searched it up and the place looks so modern and just wowowow. I'll see you then Jongin (⌒▽⌒)

To: Do, Kyungsoo

See you.

From: Do, Kyungsoo

You should try using one of these! (^。^) They're fun!

...

To: Do, Kyungsoo

V(^_^)V

Jongin feels like an idiot as soon as he sends the message. No one as formidable as him is permitted to send ing emojis, and as he sees the message is read he cringes. But when Kyungsoo responds with a simple smiley face Jongin feels his head lightening, like he's done something good. Something for Kyungsoo. It's a nice feeling.

He swings himself out of bed and plods along the plush carpet to the bathroom. He teaches the marble sink and splashes his face with cold water before resting a hand on either side of the sink and looking at himself in the mirror.

He really has no ing clue why he's doing this. Helping Kyungsoo, if you can even call it helping.

He looks tired, he notices, eye bags prominent and eyelids heavy, not that it does anything to mar his otherwise devastatingly handsome face. Maybe he could use something exciting. Something different. Chanyeol always tells him he needs to change things up, once offering to teach Jongin how to knit. Jongin's still unsure as to why the giant knows how to knit, but in any case it's safe to say that he didn't pick up the habit.

He sighs deeply before turning off the tap and exiting the bathroom. He has approximately four hours before he has to meet Kyungsoo, so he may as well get dressed now and finish up some things beforehand.

He throws on a maroon silk shirt and a matching maroon pair of satin pants, fitted around the thighs but loose in the calves. Without the black Italian dress shoes it would look like a pair of extremely pretentious pajamas on any other person, but on Jongin it makes him look elegantly casual. He has that talent, making anything look like it’s the right thing to wear, and he knows it.

He moves over to his bureau and runs some product through his hair, combing his fingers through the strands to give it a distinctly handsome bed head appearance.

He collects his phone from the nightstand before making his way out of his security-ridden penthouse and to the driver waiting downstairs.

It's nearing 3 o'clock when he arrives at HQ, as Chanyeol has dubbed it a few years back. He makes his way to his office and slinks into his chair, pulling up a report that someone has placed on his desk, presumably Yixing according to its contents.

It's an inventory of every piece of weaponry that was delivered last night, every last gun and grenade as promised. It's inked with a small note written in sloppy Korean handwriting, an apology of sorts.

Sir, sorry for the inconvenience. But 47 hours, as agreed. Take care.

-Yixing

Jongin blinks. Maybe he was a little harsh on Yixing. But then again, maybe not, because both of them know that Jongin would never actually off the assassin. He’s too invaluable, too skilled at what he does.

Jongin closes the report and rips it cleanly in two. He puts the pieces in the trash bin by his desk and leans back, feet crossing on top of his desk. He twists his bangle before sending Minseok a message.

To: Kim, Minseok

Give Yixing a bonus.

From: Kim, Minseok

Already done.

Jongin sighs before placing his phone down on his desk. He had wanted to take care of a few things while he was in, but all he can think about right now is meeting with Kyungsoo and Byun Baekhyun, who he still isn't fond of. Necessarily.

He doesn't know what he's going to say. He's an excellent bullter and he knows this, but this feels like it's something completely different. How, he has no idea.

Is he supposed to just give general tips then and there and be done with it? Is he supposed to stay with Kyungsoo throughout the project as some kind of assistant director or some ? And oh God, is he supposed to spend time alone with Baekhyun? There's so many unanswered questions in his mind but Jongin steels himself. He's never had anxiety before so why start now. It's a business deal, although he's unclear as to what the benefit is to him. That is, why he volunteered in the first place.

He shakes his head when there's a rap on his door. Minseok pokes his head in and Jongin motions for him to enter. He stays awkwardly by the door, seeming to be in some kind of dilemma.

“What is it, Minseok?”

Minseok fidgets with one hand on the doorknob, almost as if he's prepared to flee. Jongin finds it strange though, because Minseok doesn't fidget.

“Jongin I- forgive me if I'm intruding but I just had a question.” He drags his gaze up to Jongin's eyes and when he sees no protest in them takes it as a sign to continue. “I was just wondering what you're getting yourself into. With Kyungsoo. Is it worth the trouble?”

Jongin clicks his tongue. “Now that, I cannot tell you.” He waits a moment. “I don't quite understand why either Minseok, but something is telling me to do it.” Jongin laughs then, a businessman’s laugh. “You never know Minseok, he could be a part-time employee at the bank for all we know. A perfect way to get in, don't you think?” Jongin says with a politician's smile.

“Maybe,” Minseok says slowly. “But whatever this turns out to be, be careful. You don't really have any room for personal attachments, not that you need me to remind you. Just… keep a distance, be cautious, all that.”

“I'm always cautious.” Jongin replies, deep timbre of his voice running smooth.

Minseok gives a somewhat doubtful smile before nodding his leave and exiting as quickly as he had come. Jongin rolls his neck once and closes his eyes.

He counts to ten.

It's going to be a long evening.

“Stop fidgeting, Kyung, you're making me nervous.”

Baekhyun berates Kyungsoo for what must be the millionth time as the latter adjusts his tie. He wears a skinny black one over a baby blue dress shirt, overlaid by a beige cashmere sweater. He chose black slacks this morning, and when Baekhyun had laughed at Kyungsoo’s choice in pants the film student had said that they matched his tie, to which Baekhyun replied that he looked like someone a mom would want her daughter to date, sarcastic snigger clearly heard. Kyungsoo had just grumbled before snapping at Baekhyun to get dressed up, because they were going to Gangnam.

And that's where they sit now, in a Michelin-star restaurant called Exodus, where everything is black and reflective and the chandeliers are crystal. The tablecloth is white silk, a pop of contrast among the otherwise mysterious setting. Kyungsoo tugs at his collar again, worried because he's just remembered that he wore brown dress shoes. With black dress pants. Ugh.

“I swear to God if you're worried about your shoes not matching your pants I will kill you.”

“WHAT THE BAEKHYUN?!” Kyungsoo whisper-yells. “Why didn't you say anything?

Baekhyun shrugs. “Wasn't my place.”

“I'm getting a new roommate.  You're being evicted.”

“Oh come on Soo, you'd miss me.”

“Yeah, kind of like how you miss getting laid.”

“Ouch. Completely hurtful, and totally inaccurate.”

“You'll survive.”

“Hardly.”

Thankfully Kyungsoo is saved from having to deal with a butthurt Baekhyun as the waiter approaches them. He's dressed a white dress shirt and black bow tie and slacks, midnight shoes squeaky clean.

“Good evening, gentlemen, how may I help you?”

“Well, personally, I’d greatly appreciate it if you removed my roommate here.” Baekhyun says unhelpfully, gesturing to Kyungsoo.

The latter sighs.

“Please ignore him, he has issues. And three waters would be great, thank you.”

You’re my issue.” Baekhyun mumbles as the waiter walks away.

Baekhyun starts grumpily messing with his cutlery, putting the once perfectly placed setting into complete disarray.

Kyungsoo frowns disapprovingly. “Stop that, you’re acting like you’re five Baek.”

“Don’t tell me what to do.”

“Grow the up.”

“Don’t swear in a fancy restaurant you inconsiderate .”

“Hypocrite.”

“Oh look someone approaches.”

Two sets of eyes look up to find a tall, dark, and mysterious man approaching them.

And if Kyungsoo thought that Jongin in casual wear was devastating then he may as well find the nearest tornado and throw himself into it.

Jongin looks casual, but he doesn’t. He looks dressed up, but he doesn’t. He looks like he just walked out of a photo shoot, and the smirk he flashes at Kyungsoo as their eyes meet is doing weird things to his body that he’s trying very hard to ignore.

As Jongin approaches the small round table and pulls out the remaining chair, Kyungsoo awkwardly shoots up and sticks his hand out to Jongin. He takes a deep breath as Jongin grasps his fingers in a firm shake. Warm, he notes, his hands are really warm.

He clears his throat. “Thank you for coming, Jongin! This is amazing, really.”

Jongin shrugs elegantly, not that Kyungsoo knew that was even possible. “A promise is a promise.” He says smoothly, and out of the corner of his eye Kyungsoo can see Baekhyun flipping at the sound of Jongin’s voice. He glares.

“Still, I really appreciate it.” Kyungsoo says, turning his focus back to Jongin with a dazzling smile (or well at least it is to Jongin).

Jongin nods and motions for Kyungsoo to take his seat again.

As the two standing sit down Kyungsoo kicks Baekhyun and he jerks with a start, causing Jongin to glance over at him. There’s a moment as the two stare at each other, Baekhyun just looking kind of stupid and starstruck while Jongin on the other hand looks like he just saw a hair in his food.

Well this will be interesting.

“You must be the famous Baekhyun then,” Jongin starts as he settles into his chair.

Baekhyun doesn’t say anything for at least 10 seconds and it’s awfully awkward, transitioning into awfully horrible as 10 turns into 20.

“...”

“Holy you’re hot.”

“Baek!”

“He is!”

“Ugh.”

Baekhyun seems to remember himself then, nodding to Jongin and smiling. “Yes that would be me, the famous Baekhyun. Although, not as famous as you I hear.” He smirks, and Kyungsoo groans internally. “Kyungsoo here has told me an awful lot about you.” He says suggestively, reaching around the table to grasp Kyungsoo’s elbow. He shakes him off.

“Hm.” Jongin looks smugly pleased. “Well I’m glad to know that Kyungsoo has told you about myself.” He smiles at Baekhyun but the latter shivers at the tone. It sounds… possessive, to say the least. He’s not sure he likes it.

Kyungsoo, comparatively, just smiles at Jongin dreamily, staring in fascination at the trio of freckles he’s just noticed on his face. He wants to see them from a closer distance, for purely scientific reasons of course.

The waiter comes back with three glasses of water, bringing Kyungsoo back to attention. He shakes his head and smiles again as Jongin motions that they need another minute.

Kyungsoo coughs. “So, Jongin, scheduling. Do you what days you might be free? And when?”

Jongin blinks and replies slowly. “Unfortunately, my schedule is kind of up in the air. I’ll have free time sporadically, but I’m hoping that since the two of you live together, it won’t be too much of an issue.”

Kyungsoo shakes his head. “Not at all! I was thinking of filming a lot in our apartment anyways. We’re kind of on a budget.” He says with a light laugh. “I can give you our address then? And whenever you have time you can just let us know. Our schedules are pretty free anyways.”

Baekhyun interjects. “Well, that may be the case for you Kyung, but as it stands, I have a very active social life.”

“You have no active social life whatsoever.”

“True, but I have you.” Baekhyun says cheekily. He’s doing it on purpose, trying to gauge Jongin’s reaction. He’s extremely overprotective of Kyungsoo, and the admittedly handsome man had set off his mom bells as soon as he had seen the way he looked at his roommate. Kyungsoo didn’t notice because he’s just oblivious like that, but while he had been talking Baekhyun had watched Jongin stare Kyungsoo down with an almost predatory gaze. It was weird.

He’s pleased when Jongin, who had been casually observing their interaction, stiffens. 

“It’s true,” Kyungsoo says to Jongin, who flinches. “We’ve unfortunately been best friends for longer than I’m proud of. But, I’m sure he’ll do an amazing job and be an absolute pleasure to work with, won’t you Baekhyun?” Kyungsoo asks with a pointedly cheery smile.

Baekhyun grins. “Of course, anything for my Kyungie.” He says cutely, and Kyungsoo gives him a nod and a small smile.

Out of the corner of his eye, however, He sees Jongin clenching his jaw and grinding his teeth. The brunette looks like he wants to insert several miles of distance between Baekhyun and Kyungsoo, and Baekhyun sends him an angelic smile as he squeezes Kyungsoo’s hand.

Kyungsoo notices Jongin’s discomfort and looks concerned. “Is everything okay Jongin?”

“Peachy.” The other replies as he stares at Kyungsoo and Baekhyun’s still connected hands.

“Okay.” Kyungsoo says with a shy smile. This seems to satiate Jongin a bit, who lowers from a bristling level to a just-barely-contained one.

“Anyways, Jongin I was, um, wondering if we could talk about the actual film for a minute. I just wanted to see if you had any advice to give us before we started. Or well, to give Baekhyun. I don’t do cameras.” A nervous chuckle.

Jongin smiles. “Well I’d hope you do cameras, otherwise I’m not entirely sure what we’ll be doing these next few weeks.”

“I can think of some other things you two can do.” Baekhyun pipes up unhelpfully.

Kyungsoo blushes beet red and stammers out- “I-I mean that I don’t like being in front of the camera. I like being behind them. Yeah. I like being behind.”

Baekhyun sighs.

“You like being behind? Well, I’ll be sure to take note of that.” Jongin says over the top of his glass as he takes a sip, eyebrow raised.

Even Baekhyun sputters at that, clearly not expecting Jongin to be so… forward. But when Jongin smiles too sweetly at Baekhyun, he understands that the other is simply marking his territory, as it were.

“Uh, haha, yeah. Great. Anyways. Um. Baekhyun. What can you tell him?”

Jongin shifts his amused gaze from Kyungsoo to Baekhyun, leaning back casually in his chair. “I’ll just say this. Make sure you understand the motivation. Where everything is coming from. Don’t let anything be done on screen that isn’t deliberate. Make every single second count, because you only have 600 of them.”

“Wow.” Baekhyun says appreciatively. “That’s an awful lot of pressure for ten minutes.”

“Well, it would really be a shame if you were to ruin this for Kyungsoo.” It’s a threat and Baekhyun can hear it, unlike Kyungsoo who is just giving Jongin googly eyes.

“Trust me, I won’t.” He says with just a lot of sass.

“Good.” Jongin grits.

“Great!” Kyungsoo chirps.

Dinner lasts for a long time.

Jongin gets back to headquarters and storms down the hallway, not even pausing as he yells- “Get me Minseok! Now!” - to no one in particular.  He hears scrambling behind him as he bangs open the door to his office, huffing to his chair and plopping down.

He whips the nearest object off his desk and across the room, watching in satisfaction as the crystal paperweight shatters with a crash.

Minseok walks into his office then, eyes doing a onceover of the damage.

He raises a brow at Jongin. “It went well then?” 

“Shut the door.” Jongin growls.

“Down boy,” Minseok jokes as he closes the door and moves to sit across from Jongin. No more than two seconds after he sits Jongin springs up and walks around the desk, pacing agitatedly in the space in front.

“Minseok, give me something to do. Anything.”

Minseok looks dumb for a second. “Um. Jongin, I work for you. I can’t tell you what to-”

“This ing kid! I swear to God I will deliver Yixing to his ing door.” Jongin fumes.

“Woah, woah, woah, calm down there. What kid? Kyungsoo?”

Jongin stops moving and stares stupidly at Minseok. “Not Kyungsoo, goddamnit, he’s perfect. ing Byun Baekhyun and his ing face and he needs to back the up because he’s way too ing close all the ing time!”

Minseok’s eyes widen at the sudden outburst. It’s extremely unlike the mob leader to be so… expressive. “Jongin, sit down. You’re giving me a headache.”

“Minseok, I apologize, but really, remind me not to call Yixing anytime soon.” He moves back to his chair and sits with a huff. “So, met with Kyungsoo. Good man. Extremely nice, not that I like nice people. But his friend, Baekhyun, absolute nightmare. Touching Kyungsoo, joking with Kyungsoo, making Kyungsoo smile, making Kyungsoo laugh. Honestly, the nerve of this kid.” Jongin sounds almost out of breath.

“Wow. Sounds like some next level best friend .” Minseok muses.

Jongin looks exasperated, a look Minseok isn’t used to seeing on his face.

“I’m serious Minseok.”

“So am I.” He says with a shrug. “Really, it just sounds like they’re good friends. What’s the issue?”

“Well, Minseok,” Jongin begins, voice dripping with sarcasm, “The issue is that-” He cuts off, looking confused for a moment because if he listens to Minseok he might actually see that there is no issue. “That’s- that’s besides the point. I personally am just a believer of personal space, and Baekhyun is way too close to Kyungsoo. Statistically speaking, having someone that close to you all the time just makes you more susceptible and vulnerable to them. It’s strategic. I need Baekhyun to stay away from Kyungsoo. Wait no. Kyungsoo needs Baekhyun to stay away from Kyungsoo. Yes.”

Minseok smiles. “Sounds like you’ve got a real problem on your hands. By the way, did I hear you say that Kyungsoo is perfect?”

Jongin huffs. “Obviously not. What do you take me for Minseok?”

“An idiot.”

“I can fire you.”

“No you can’t. I’ll spill all of your mob secrets.”

“I can kill you.”

“No you can’t. Yixing likes me.”

“I have more hitmen than Yixing.”

“Yeah, but you don’t trust any of them.”

“ you, Minseok.”

“I think you’d rather Kyungsoo.”

“He’s got pretty lips.”

“Has he?”

“He has.”

“I see.”

“It’s awful.”

“Pretty lips?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“I want those lips doing things other than speaking.”

“Ah.”

“I’m ed.”

“You are.”

Jongin sighs, slumping forward onto his desk. “I don’t get it Minseok. I haven’t been attracted to a person in years, and I just met this kid too. But, I want to see him again. I don’t know why.”

Minseok thinks for a second. “First of all, please stop saying you’re attracted to a kid, it’s weird. Second, I don’t know either, but whatever the reason is, don’t let it get to you. You don’t get to have the luxury of relationships in your position.”

“I know Minseok, I know. I don’t want a relationship. God no. I just, there’s something about him.”

“Is that something a ?” Minseok jokes.

“Ha ha, very funny Minseok.” Jongin replies dryly.

“I’m kidding, I’m kidding. But just be careful. I don’t want you getting into something you can’t get out of.”

“I won’t. Promise.” It’s silent. “Speaking of which though, have you found new leads for the bank? I swear to God if the Syndicate gets to that vault before us I will hunt down Lee Taemin to the ends of the Earth.”

Minseok nods, secretly impressed by Jongin’s ability to switch so effortlessly into business. “Actually, there is one. Oh Sehun, new member on the Board of Directors. Voted in after the… unfortunate death of Song. The best bit, he’s inexperienced. Only 27, no one has any clue how he managed to get enough votes. Some sort of child prodigy. Anyways, I’ve been thinking we can work the young angle. Being two handsome fellows like yourself, surely you’ll find something to bond over. . . Both. Who knows.”

Jongin runs a hand through his hair. “Can you please not be so vulgar while we’re discussing business? It confuses me.”

Yeah, cause you need to get some.” Minseok whispers under his breath.

“I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that. Anyways, I like it. When can I meet him?”

“The bank is throwing an induction party this Friday. 8pm, Seoul Grand Palace.”

“Perfect. Order me a new suit. My one from last week has blood on it.”

“Will do Sir. Anything else?”

“Yeah. Make Byun Baekhyun go to hell.”

“I’m afraid only the devil can drag someone to hell. I believe that’s up to you then.” Minseok gets up with a wink.

Jongin dismisses him and he’s almost out the door before he turns arounds suddenly. Jongin quirks an eyebrow.

“Just… whatever you decide to do, good luck Jongin.”

“Thanks Min.”

“Call me if you need anything.”

He leaves and Jongin lets out a breath. He really has no clue what he’s doing, but he knows he has to get to Oh Sehun before the Syndicate can. He reminds himself to run a background check on the man and see how he can work himself in. He pulls out his phone to ask Chanyeol when he notices that he has no less than seven new messages from Kyungsoo.

From: Do, Kyungsoo

HIi Jongin! I just wanted to say thanks again for coming today! It really was a huge help, and I hope you can meet again soon! Just let me know when you’ll be free! :))))

Jongin thinks for a second. It’s Wednesday, so technically he has tomorrow to meet with Kyungsoo before Friday. He should be doing research into Oh Sehun, but he has Chanyeol, and the giant probably owes him one from somewhere down the line. He sighs and keeps reading.

From: Do, Kyungsoo

Actually, are you free tomorrow? Baekhyun and I are going to visit his parents on the weekend and he wants to head up Friday afternoon. If it’s inconvenient just let me know! ^_^

From: Do, Kyungsoo

Baekhyun is telling me I’m being pushy owo. Not that I show him our conversations! Haha nope o(^_-)O

From: Do, Kyungsoo

But yeah, tomorrow?  Just let me know!!

From: Do, Kyungsoo

Sorry to bother you by the way!

From: Do, Kyungsoo

Ahahha, now Baekhyun is saying that he doubts I’m bothering you. He’s crazy aha

From: Do, Kyungsoo

V(^_^)V

Jongin smiles at his phone. He’s a hard person, he knows. The only people he has ever remotely felt anything besides nothing for are Minseok and maybe Chanyeol. But there’s something about Do Kyungsoo. Maybe it’s his smile, Jongin doesn’t know. He’s only just met Kyungsoo but something tells him that the hatred he feels towards Baekhyun is not normal. Minseok is right; Baekhyun hasn’t really done anything wrong. But still. He needs to stay away from Kyungsoo. Like, way away.

To: Do, Kyungsoo

Tomorrow works for me. Does two in the afternoon work for you? I need your address.

A minute later there’s a reply:

From: Do, Kyungsoo

2 is perfect! I’ll text u the address later, Baekhyun wants me to go to a movie with him now

From: Do, Kyungsoo

Baek wants your number to “warn you about stranger danger” :) just kidding he says he wants to ask you some questions. Can I give it to him?

To: Do, Kyungsoo

I suppose. I’ll see you tomorrow, Kyungsoo.

From: Do, Kyungsoo

Okay thank you!  See you, Jongin.

At this Jongin can imagine the way Kyungsoo says his name when it’s just him and the shorter male, and the memory of his chocolatey voice sends a delicious shiver down Jongin’s spine. He would never admit it, but something in him stirs at the thought of seeing Kyungsoo tomorrow.

He prays to God that Baekhyun caught on to his signals today at dinner and backs up.

From: 888.145.0232

Hey Jongin this is Baekhyun! Can I call you Jongin? Yes? Great! Just remember, stranger danger! Bring your pepper spray ㅋㅋㅋ. Not that kyung and I are murderers or something :))) Cya tomorrow!!!!!

Okay. Maybe not.

 

A/N: Okay so I actually wrote the entre thing before I decided to post it so all the parts should come out within the next day or two, but I really hope you're enjoying it so far. Let me know what you think! Comment, upvote, subcribe, <33333