Epilogue

A Beautiful Enigma

It's been years since that fateful night that commemorated the beginning of a relationship between Chanyeol and Kyungsoo. But Chanyeol never once forgot his daily routine. Early morning, even before the rooster woke up, he rode down to Kyungsoo's house on his bike. Outside the compound wall, he watched Mr. Do taking the milk and newspaper inside. Mrs. Do could be seen at the kitchen window, making tea. But there was no sign of Kyungsoo. Impatiently, he rang the bell on his bike a thousand times to signal to his girlfriend that he was waiting there. Used to the shrill call of Chanyeol's bicycle bell, Mr. Do smiled at the young chap, who was now a very familiar face to the Do household. From the kitchen, Mrs. Do called out to her daughter, 'Kyungsoo! Chanyeol's here for you!!!' 

Within minutes, a small person flew through the doorway of the house, putting her shoes on quickly. 

'Dad, I'm off to the town square with Chanyeol!' cried Kyungsoo to her father, who now looked a bit tense.

'But Soo, today—'

'I know. I know. Just don't worry, okay?'

Knowing well enough to trust her and shut his mouth, Mr. Do let her pass through the main gate. Running to Chanyeol, Kyungsoo enveloped him in a hug and pecked him on the cheek. Grinning, Chanyeol beamed, 'Here madam, the lovely carriage awaits you.'

'Why, thank you, sweet peasant,' sang Kyungsoo, doing a mock curtsey, and then climbed onto the bike, but this time, with Chanyeol behind her. Her father involuntarily held his breath in anxiety, fearing something might happen while Kyungsoo rode the bike. But, watching as Chanyeol's arms softly held Kyungsoo's waist, with instructions being whispered into her ears, his fatherly spidey senses calmed down. He'd heard from the neighbours and their kids that Kyungsoo was a pro at cycling. And he had Chanyeol to thank for that. All these years of protecting his daughter was a complete waste— Kyungsoo was born to fly and Chanyeol would make sure of that.

 

Chanyeol had no idea as to where they were going. He was only aware of the summer breeze scented with the peach shampoo that Kyungsoo adored. Her sweet laughter rang in his ears as he laughed along with her. She was talking about something funny that happened to Baekhyun but he wasn't listening. All that mattered to him now was her. His time, his space, his love, his life. 

The past few years were Chanyeol's best. Kyungsoo was still the little devil that everyone feared and Chanyeol always got his own share of punches and kicks and snappy jibes. But, unlike others, he had the special privilege of enjoying makeout sessions with her. Taking advantage of the empty classrooms, his couch back at home when no one was around or even by the abandoned bridge where they first shared a kiss, Chanyeol made sure she felt how much he loved her. But he wondered if, after all this time, he had managed to solve the mystery that shrouded Do Kyungsoo. Maybe she was just an ordinary girl after all...

...Or maybe he got too close to her that the mystery became a part of him.

Which grew bigger in size everytime they held hands.

Which snatched from him the ability to differentiate the illusions from the real everytime they locked their lips in passion.

She was like an ignis fatuus, a will-o'-the-wisp, beckoning him into a murky bog of sweet fantasies.

And he didn't mind the fog as long as he could just feel her presence. 

But today was a very special day. A day of nervousness and excitement, that surpassed all of his better days. As they passed by the meandering roads of their little town, silently taking in the scenery, Chanyeol's phone pinged. Looking at it, he read the message his sister Yura sent to him. Tapping Kyungsoo's shoulder, he said, 'Everyone's asking for us, you know...'

'Meh. Let them wait a bit longer, then.'

'Baekhyun just stopped by my house. He couldn't find us back at your place as well so he's pretty furious right now.'

Groaning as she braked the bike, Kyungsoo turned her head around to look at Chanyeol. Her hair had grown longer in the past few years and she looked absolutely gorgeous with the sunlight hitting her dark waves. He easily ran his fingers through her black locks and she watched him from under her eyelashes.

'Now that Baekhyun's there, I guess we have to go, don't we?' she complained. Chanyeol simply kissed the top of her head and murmured,

'Let's go, captain.'

 

'I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WENT CYCLING ON A DAY LIKE THIS!' yelled Baekhyun into Chanyeol's ears, as they stood huddled together, side by side.

'It was to calm the nerves,' defended Chanyeol, eyeing the people that gathered around them, sitting on the benches and watching him curiously like he was some monkey about to perform. More people entered and he caught a glimpse of Yifan and Sehun sitting behind. Jongdae and Sunyoung sat right at the front, beaming at their little baby girl.

'How can you be so casual about this!?' hissed Baekhyun, not buying Chanyeol's excuse, 'At least be considerate to me. It's my one and only chance to be the best man at my best friend's wedding. Even if you guys don't care about your big day, remember that I do!'

Chanyeol laughed at Baekhyun's overdramatic cries. He couldn't forget the even bigger drama Baekhyun made when Kyungsoo was proposed.

 

They had gone out to watch a movie in the semester holidays. It was snowing and Kyungsoo was complaining about the film and how it didn't quite hit the mark for her. She had stepped closer to Chanyeol for warmth when he began,

'Hey Kyungsoo, mind if I pop a question?'

'Shoot,' she said, her rosy smoochable cheeks distracting Chanyeol for a second.

And then, right there in the middle of the street, amidst the merry Christmas shoppers and boozehounds and children, with the flaky snow dotting his form, he did "pop the question" as he so rightly put it.

'Do Kyungsoo, will you marry me?'

Kyungsoo's eyes widened at the kneeling form of her boyfriend. She didn't care for the diamond ring, settled between the folds of velvet in a tiny box, that he held up to her in the frigid cold. She cared only for Chanyeol and, knowing very well that he was a nitwit at times, she asked nervously,

'Are you sure about this?'

'I am. Why, aren't you?' teased Chanyeol, causing Kyungsoo's eyes to widen even more.

'Of course I'll marry you, dummy!!!' she cried, as she raised her palm to him, letting the ring slip onto her finger. An old couple nearby cooed at them.

Grinning like a madman, Chanyeol lunged at her and kissed her wholly on the mouth. They didn't care about the wolf whistling drunkards or the little children watching in indignant glee as their parents tried to shield them from the spectacle Chanyeol and Kyungsoo were making for themselves. Kyungsoo's feet dangled a few good inches above solid ground as she grasped his jacket for a good hold. 

Needless to say, Baekhyun was upset that he, Kyungsoo's babyhood bestfriend, missed the entire proposal. But once Kyungsoo flashed the ring on her finger, Baekhyun slipped into a comatose state of euphoria. The balance of the universe was restored again. And to his greater excitement, Baekhyun was asked by Chanyeol to be his bestman at the wedding. At first he made a huge show of it, acting like he didn't deserve to be a bestman and all. Yet he took his statement back in a jiffy when Kyungsoo suggested that Chanyeol ask Yifan instead. She smirked knowingly at her bestfriend and he winked right back.

Baekhyun then took up the wedding deal quite seriously. He arranged for the cake tasting, ordered the most appropriate flowers, accompanied Kyungsoo to bridal boutiques and took great care of both bride and groom to-be. Baekhyun was a perfectionist in such matters. 

 

Snapping back to reality when Baekhyun prodded him in the ribs, Chanyeol gazed up the aisle. The flower girls— some of Kyungsoo's pocket-sized cousins— happily walked down with bright grins on their faces. The processional music began. And there she was at the entrance, arm linked with her father's. The woman he loved.

The same girl in plaits who caught his attention all those years ago.

Who would be his wife any moment from now...

He noticed that the white gown accentuated her slender figure as she strode upto him with a small grin on her face. Mr. Do gazed at Chanyeol with glistening eyes and a closed yet gentle smile. 

Take care of her, he seemed to say.

Chanyeol gave a slight nod and at once, the officiant began, 'Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God, and in the face of this company, to join together this man and this woman in Holy Matrimony...'

Kyungsoo listened intently to what the priest had to say but Chanyeol was distracted. He kept staring at Kyungsoo while counting his stars about how things turned out for him. He was grateful for that class of AP Biology and for getting himself into detention. He remembered how he refused to let go of the thought of befriending Kyungsoo and perservered till the end. 

For once, he was actually thankful to have listened to his heart and not his mind.

Normally, he would have screwed up. But taking that one special risk was the best decision he'd ever made in his entire life.

Suddenly, he saw everyone turn to look at him. Kyungsoo was gazing at him with those super duper adorable eyes. 

'Mr. Park Chanyeol,' said the priest in a stern voice,'Will you have this woman to be your wedded wife, to live together after God's ordinance in the holy estate of Matrimony? Will you love her, comfort her, honour her, and keep her in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, keep yourself loyal to her, so long as you both shall live?' He then shot Chanyeol a glare as though daring him to make an ordained Man of God repeat it a second time over.

Oh. 

'I will,' replied Chanyeol, embarrassed at the thought of not having answered that. He could clearly see Kyungsoo bite her lower lip to keep herself from bursting into laughter. Baekhyun's hushed sniggers sounded loud to his ears. What will his in-laws even think of him now?

The priest then asked the same question to Kyungsoo and she replied with an 'I will' as well.

Asking Mr. Do to hand over his daughter, the officiant placed their hands together, right hand within right.

Time for the wedding vows, thought Chanyeol, I cannot mess this one up. He carefully repeated his vows after the priest and once he finished, Kyungsoo did the same. By the order of the officiant, Chanyeol slipped the blessed ring onto Kyungsoo's slender finger.

'Let us pray,' came the gentle announcement afterwards.

Chanyeol was trembling with excitement while everyone else turned to God. He just couldn't think straight and he felt his tummy doing somersaults and arms shivering with nervousness. In a few moments, Kyungsoo would be his. Only his. They would have a life together. He already couldn't wait for the honeymoon— something that only ruled his fantasies would soon be tangible. If only the priest would hurry up—

As though sensing Chanyeol's desperation, Kyungsoo gently tapped his foot with hers. Giving him a look of warning— just like when she threatens him whilst denying him a makeout— she closed her eyes back in prayer but her foot stayed right beside his. Chanyeol urged himself to calm his nerves and finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the priest concluded the prayer with,

'... in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, I now pronounce you husband and wife.Those who God has put together, let no man asunder. You may now seal your promise and kiss the bride.'

Chanyeol needed no directions for that. He swooped in and placed his lips on Kyungsoo's, the latter embarrassedly reminding him not to be obscene in the presence of God with a subtle pinch on the former's biceps. If this was how it would be everyday, Chanyeol didn't mind married life one bit.

Baekhyun whooped with joy as the newly wedded couple headed out of the town's yellow church. People congratulated them and Yifan even spoke a few words to Kyungsoo. The Park family hugged Kyungsoo, partly in relief that there was actually someone willing to marry their idiot son. The limo, decorated with satin ribbons, waited outside for them. As she was being ushered inside by Chanyeol, Kyungsoo quickly wiped Baekhyun's tears with her handkerchief and hugged him with all the might her tiny frame had. Closing the door behind them, Chanyeol made sure to wave to everyone with that big, crazy grin on his face. Just before the limo rolled away, he caught a clear glimpse of Jongdae's and Sunyoung's baby in a lovely pink frock for the first time.

'Say, Kyungsoo,' began Chanyeol, looking back at the distancing crowd, 'How many kids do you want to have?'

'Do men only have such things in mind?' retorted Kyungsoo, playfully.

'No, I'm serious. I mean, did you see Jongdae's baby girl?! She was too cute!'

'I don't mind. How many ever you want...'

'Thirty?'

'Shut up, Park Chanyeol! Be practical, will you?' cried Kyungsoo, blushing a beet red.

'But Park Kyungsoo, you said—'

'There is a limit for everything!'

'Fine! We'll talk about that later. But mind you, we'll make such good looking children, you'll probably be asking for more...'

'Trust me: I won't.'

And as Kyungsoo kept nagging him over something else she had in mind, Chanyeol smiled at the thought of spending all his time with her. To have her around with him. To protect her. To simply talk to her. To just let her live life and help her make up for the time she lost before.

Not to mention the dozens of mini-Chanyeols and mini-Kyungsoos running around the house.

Grasping her fingers within his, Chanyeol got Kyungsoo to stop talking and they gazed right at each other, only aware of the hum of the car.

'What is it, Chanyeol?' she asked.

In turn, Chanyeol asked back, 'Ready to face the future?' 

Squeezing his hand tightly, Kyungsoo answered in a low and tantalising voice that made his heart skip a beat even after all these years,

'All we need to face is today.'

Kissing her smooth neck that he loved so much, Chanyeol whispered with quiet confidence,

'Then today we shall face. One step at a time.'