Best Friends - Part 1

The Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SaMo

 

"Momo."

 

She faintly hears someone calling her name.

 

"Hirai Momo." The same voice calls her again, poking her cheek. She can feel her bed shift as the person calling her, sits beside her. She groans and turns away.

 

"Moguri, wake up. We're leaving."

 

"Stop, please. 5 more minutes."

 

"We don't have 5 minutes. Our plane leaves in 3 hours, we have to get to the airport."

 

Momo slowly turns back to the person beside her and slightly opens her eyes.

 

"What do you mean 'our plane leaves in 3 hours'?"

 

"I booked us a flight to Jeju Island. We’ll be staying there for 3 days. Come on. Get up. We might miss it."

 

"Minatozaki Sana, what are you telling me? Why am I suddenly being dragged to Jeju?" she groans as she rubs her eyes open

 

Sana gets up from her bed and starts getting out clothes from Momo's closet and shoving it into a duffel bag.

 

"Because... I said so. Now get your silly onto the bathroom and get ready. We'll leave in 5."

 

Momo grunts irritatedly as she gets up from the comforts of her bed and heads to her bathroom across the hall from her bedroom.

 

"So why are we suddenly leaving? The real reason." Momo shouts while brushing her teeth.

 

"Just because."

 

Honestly, Momo didn't really need to ask her best friend why they're suddenly leaving. She knew it all too well.

 

'They probably fought again' She thought.

 

Sana always does this. Suddenly coming to her house and dragging her to go somewhere whenever she and her dumb boyfriend were fighting. Although, this was new. They would usually go somewhere around the city or maybe drive to nearby provinces. Getting on a plane and going to a faraway island was something new.

 

'Must be a big fight then'

 

Momo sighs as the thought pops into her head. She hated when Sana and her boyfriend fought mainly because the younger girl would cling to her and act overly sweet and caring, making her get her hopes up. Yes she was in love with her best friend, and yes it was a selfish reason but she really couldn't help it. Of course she hated it whenever Sana’s hurting, but she hated what usually happens next even more. It makes it harder for her to put out her feelings for her best friend.

 

_____________

 

Once they finished getting ready, the 2 girls went straight to the airport for their flight. When they arrived at Jeju Island, they left their bags at the hotel and went straight to touring the place.

 

They went to different tourist spots, taking lots of photos, eating lots of snacks, and enjoying the cool wind. It seemed like the perfect day for the both of them. They hadn't had a "bff day of fun" in a while. Momo was busy running her restaurant and Sana was –well she was busy with that damn boyfriend of hers. They used to see each other all the time, but when things started to get hectic, they would only see each other once or twice a month.

 

It was already getting dark so they both decided that it was time to head back to the hotel. They stopped by the nearest mart to buy some snacks and some beer before heading up to their shared room. Sana had booked a room with a Queen-sized bed for both of them to share. She decided that it was unnecessary for them to sleep in separate rooms. Momo shrugged it off, thinking that it would be fine. Convincing herself that she wasn't feeling anything for Sana anymore anyway.

 

Momo went straight to the bathroom and got changed. She wore her signature white tee paired with her unbelievably short maroon shorts. She fixed up her hair a bit before exiting the bathroom.

 

"Aren't you cold in those?" Sana asks her.

 

"Not really. Go get changed so we could start watching the movie."

 

Sana started to prepare for bed while Momo takes out the snacks and opens 2 beers for them. She sets the food down on the carpeted floor in between the television and the bed. She starts munching on the chips and drinking beer when Sana –wearing her favorite purple over-sized shirt that’s way too thin and way too short for an oversized shirt –sat down to join her. Momo gulped at the sight of her best friend being effortlessly y before she shakes the dirty thoughts creeping in her mind away.

 

‘She judges me with what I'm wearing when she's wearing something shorter. God.’

 

They both started telling stories; they were laughing and drinking, feeling so carefree. Tonight, it was just the two of them. No restrictions, just best friends goofing around.

 

2 bottles down, turned to 4 bottles down, to 6 bottles down. They were getting pretty tipsy already and Momo was feeling a little tired. She was getting a little bit silent, and Sana was starting to get sulky.

 

Sana took a long sip of her beer and gulped it down in one go. She took a deep breath and started.

 

"We broke up." she says.

 

Momo immediately moves closer to Sana's side and put her left arm over her best friend's shoulder to try and console her. Sana instinctively leans her head on Momo's shoulder and continues to sob silently, trying her best to hold back her tears.

 

"We were fighting about him and his friends like the usual. He was spending more time with them than me, and I know it seems selfish but things weren't the same anymore. He was shutting me out and whenever I would complain about it, he would say that I was wrong and delusional. But what can I do? That's how I felt. He was neglecting me and was denying it. He felt happier with his dumb friends more than being with me. I mean, if your girlfriend feels like this, aren't you supposed to do something about it? But instead, he gets mad at me more. Anyway, things kind of blew up and we broke up. He didn't even try to stop it. He didn't even try to come after me. He just let me be. He let me go like the 2 years we spent together meant absolutely nothing to him."

 

Momo stays silent for a while and continues to rub Sana's back.

 

"Well, I don't really know what to say Sana. I don't know how your relationship is with him. We talk about it, sure, but not a lot and not into so much detail. I don’t really know the guy very well.  Maybe you're both not seeing this in each other's perspective, I don’t know. But, if you're right, if you are feeling a certain way and you're uncomfortable about something he's doing, I think that he should adjust or maybe form a compromise with you just so you could both feel better, you know? I mean, that goes both ways when he’s uncomfortable too and you have to adjust. He shouldn’t have gotten mad at you, or he should’ve at least tried to understand you.”

 

Momo takes a look at Sana, and the latter just stays silent and takes another long sip of her beer. The older girl really didn’t know what to say. She loved Sana, she’s her best friend after all, but she was getting tired with all the fights and her wasting her tears on that stupid guy.

 

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to make you feel worse.”

 

Sana lifts her head to look at Momo and sighs.

 

"It’s okay. Can I just stay with you like this for a while?" Sana’s tear-filled eyes look up and stare at Momo’s.

 

"Of course." Momo says as she pulls the younger’s head and places it safely back on her shoulder.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter