Happy Holidays, higashinoumi!

EunHae Hols 2016

Title: Love you the same

Author: [redacted]

Rating: PG-13

A/N: Merry Christmas higashinoumi! I hope you like your Eunhae Christmas gift as much as I do ^^


“Hae Hae?”

 

Hae Hae? Donghae could hear someone calling him. Someone that sounded really far away.

 

“Hae Hae?”

 

There it was again. Donghae struggled to open his eyes. He couldn’t see that person. That person sounded so familiar, yet so distant. He remembered getting really drunk on the wine that Heechul had gifted him during the Christmas party, and he pretty couldn’t remember anything much after that. If he even tried to think about it, his head pounded with renewed vigour, and that voice became even dimmer. He couldn’t let that voice get further away, so he stopped thinking and focused on that voice, his only thread to reality.

 

“Hae Hae, open your eyes.”

 

Donghae tried. He really wanted to. He wanted to see the owner of that voice. He tried to grasp a hold of reality, but it seemed to slip away at the same time. Where are you? Who are you? He wanted to ask, but his lips were rendered immobile.

 

He felt someone hold his hand, but he couldn’t see his hand. He wanted to squeeze the other’s hand to let him know that he was there, he could hear everything, but he just couldn’t open his eyes.

 

“It’s okay, Hae Hae. Just take your time.”

 

I don’t want to take my time. I want to see you now. Donghae grew increasingly desperate. He didn’t want the owner of the voice or hand to leave. He tried so hard. And then, he saw a blinding white.

 

“Hae Hae!”

 

Donghae still couldn’t see anything but white. He tried to blink. It was white, then dark, and then white again.

 

“Slowly, Hae Hae.” He felt a smooth hand cupping his cheek.

 

Donghae gave a few more experimental blinks. Finally, he could differentiate shades of colour and the outlines of objects. Where was he? It wasn’t really white after all, but lots of green everywhere.

 

“Shh… Hae Hae. You don’t have to talk right now.”

 

Talk? He hadn’t tried to talk right? Did he manage to whisper something?

 

“Slowly, Hae Hae.”

 

Why was the voice repeating everything? Donghae concentrated on blinking, and getting his sight back slowly. Breathe in… breathe out… breathe in… Donghae saw a face dangerously close to his, and he jolted up in surprise.

 

“Hae Hae! You’re okay!” A young male, in a light purple hanbok, no less, was clapping his hands, and giving him an incredibly bright gummy smile.

 

Donghae wanted to speak, but he couldn’t. So he tried to express his emotions with his wide eyes.

 

“Wait, you should lean against this.” The young male with the bright gummy smile gently hoisted up Donghae’s body and leaned it against the trunk of a tree right behind him.

 

The young male then ran off for a bit, which made Donghae really anxious, but then he returned with a big leaf.

 

Donghae just looked at the man bemusedly. Why was there a man in a hanbok running around with a leaf? And where was he anyway? How did he end up here?

 

“Drink.” The man said.

 

What?

 

The man tilted Donghae’s head back a little with his free hand, and gently tugged at Donghae’s chin. Then, he brought the leaf closer and poured water that he had collected in the leaf into Donghae’s mouth.

 

While Donghae appreciated the coolness of the water down his dry throat, he didn’t appreciate that he was fed water collected in a leaf. Water collected from goodness knows where, and a random leaf picked off the ground. It was so unhygienic. As soon as he could, he started sputtering, hoping to get the probably germ-filled water out of his system. He didn’t want to get dysentery on top of his headache. That would honestly be a pain in the behind (no pun intended).

 

“Oh no, Hae Hae! Did you choke?” The man cried out in dismay.

 

He started rubbing Donghae’s back in gentle circles while Donghae was trying to cough the life out of himself.

 

“You…” Donghae whisper-shouted once he got his voice back.

 

The man looked at him with expectation.

 

“How could you feed me dirty water?” Donghae rubbed his chest.

 

“Dirty water? No, Hyukjae wouldn’t feed you dirty water, Hae Hae!”

 

Did the hanbok dude just refer to himself in third person? And his name was… Hyukjae? Donghae did not know a Hyukjae. Good grief, what exactly is going on?

 

“The water was from the spring! The spring has the cleanest water in this town. We’ve come here and drunk it all our lives, what are you talking about now Hae Hae?”

 

Spring water? All our lives? He did not know this Hyukjae.

 

“Where am I?” Donghae croaked. “Who am I?” Donghae looked down and realised that he was wearing a similar hanbok with Hyukjae.

 

Hyukjae’s eyes grew large with fright. He cautiously waved a hand in front of Donghae. Then, he did it again.

 

Irritated, Donghae smacked his hand away. “Don’t do that, Hyukkie.” Hyukkie? He hadn’t meant to say that. It just came out of his mouth.

 

Looking relieved all of a sudden, Hyukjae pinched Donghae’s cheeks hard, earning a squeal from him. “Yah, Hae Hae. You shouldn’t trick me like this.” Hyukjae stood up with his hands on his hips, with the most adorable pout on his face. No, he should not have thought that the pout was adorable.

 

“Do I… call you Hyukkie?” Donghae asked hesitantly.

 

Hyukjae stuck his face really close to Donghae’s again, and Donghae suddenly found himself his lips. His heart beat a little faster than usual, and Donghae didn’t know why.

 

“Of course.” Hyukjae pulled away. “We’re besties. There is no use for proper names with besties. Unless… Hae Hae doesn’t want to be besties with Hyukjae anymore?”

 

Donghae had to take a deep breath and calm himself down. Why does he keep on referring to himself in third person? It was a weird situation, no matter how Donghae thought about it. The only thing Donghae could do was to go with the flow, and then kill Heechul when he discovered the catch to this ploy.

 

“Hae Hae really doesn’t want to be besties with Hyukjae anymore?” Hyukjae turned around with hunched shoulders.

 

Oh. Donghae realised that he hadn’t replied because he was too busy thinking about how weird this entire situation seemed.

 

“I want to.” Donghae said quickly.

 

Immediately, Hyukjae turned around with a gummy smile on his face. “Hyukjae knew it! Hyukjae knew Hae Hae wouldn’t abandon Hyukjae! After all, we made a promise!”

 

What promise? There were so many things that Donghae didn’t know, and Hyukjae here was his only chance of getting a good answer. And Donghae was really distracted by the billowing sleeves of Hyukjae’s lavender hanbok. It was so unnatural to see a young man dressed in a hanbok. Now that he had the time to look at Hyukjae properly, Hyukjae was young. He was probably in his twenties, though he seemed to act younger than that. He couldn’t fathom the reason for Hyukjae speaking in third person, and wearing a hanbok, still.

 

“Since we made a promise…” Donghae paused, taking a deep breath before he continued. “You can answer my questions, right?”

 

Hyukjae bobbed his head up and down in earnest.

 

“Where are we?”

 

“The forest near the town.”

 

“What town?” Donghae squinted. Maybe it might be a town he knew.

 

“Stop playing, Hae Hae. It’s not funny anymore.”

 

Donghae frowned. How did Hyukjae see through his deception so easily?

 

“Come, if you are feeling better, let us go back to town.”

 

 Hyukjae held out his hand, which Donghae took hesitantly.

 

_

 

Donghae tried to learn everything along the way, he really did. But he was so perplexed by the entire situation. It wasn’t possible that an entire town was erected just to deceive him. Donghae learnt that the town was called Songpa. It was the closest to the capital Hanyang. When was Seoul called Hanyang again anyway? Ages ago. That was what Donghae knew. He didn’t know how he awoke as Lee Donghae in another era. He didn’t know that he was from an aristocratic family. He didn’t know that he was the best in archery in school. He didn’t know a lot of things. But he did know that Hyukjae was his bestie. Or best friend. Or… something more. Did the original Lee Donghae feel that way? Because he felt compelled to feel something more.

 

“Today is going to be the celebration of the winter solstice.” Hyukjae spoke.

 

“Okay?”

 

“What does that mean?” Hyukjae looked at him curiously. “You just used a difficult word. Oh-kay?”

 

Donghae wanted to slap his forehead. Obviously he shouldn’t have used that word. Now he would have to explain it.

 

“It means I’m accepting or agreeing to whatever you said.”

 

“Hm, oh-kay?” Hyukjae tried.

 

“Yes, that’s how you use it.” Donghae felt a little triumphant at having taught Hyukjae something.

 

“Anyway, we always go to the festivals and go eat at the street markets. So we have to do that again today!” Hyukjae said happily.

 

Was he always this excited? Donghae wanted to laugh because Hyukjae was quite a funny character. But he settled for smiling.

 

“Come, let us go get some fish cakes.” Hyukjae dragged Donghae along.

 

Donghae just ambled behind Hyukjae like a little lost boy.

 

After two fishcakes, three hot peanut pancakes, and chewy noodles, Donghae was very, very full. In fact, he could feel a tummy bulge. For once, he was glad that he was wearing a hanbok because the excess cloth covered any bulge that he could have.

 

“No stopping, Hyukjae wants to eat sweet ddeok!” Hyukjae pulled Donghae along.

 

Donghae couldn’t believe Hyukjae could eat that much food, and remain so skinny. Donghae actually wouldn’t have known how skinny Hyukjae was because he was wearing a hanbok as well, but when Donghae grabbed Hyukjae’s wrist so that he wouldn’t get lost in the crowd, Donghae felt the delicateness of Hyukjae’s thin wrist. Hyukjae was a food vacumn, Donghae decided. There was no other way to explain it. Donghae didn’t know how to pay for anything at first, because he had no money. That was until Hyukjae dug out the embroidered silk pouch filled with bronze and silver pieces from Donghae’s sleeve. Donghae had looked up to the sky then, and wondered why he hadn’t thought of that. Hyukjae then scolded Donghae for lying to him and wanting to make him pay for all the food again.

 

Hyukjae bought a small paper bag of sweet ddeok. He passed three bronze coins to the ahjumma and thanked her with a bright gummy smile. Donghae smiled to himself. He hadn’t realised it before, but Hyukjae really had a special charm. Especially when he smiled. Donghae wanted Hyukjae to smile a lot, and smile for him.

 

“Come, Hae Hae needs to try.” Hyukjae plucked out a pink coloured ddeok and held it in front of Donghae’s mouth expectantly.

 

Donghae leaned forward and ate it, purposefully brushing his lips against the tips of Hyukjae’s fingers. He watched as Hyukjae’s cheeks turned a light shade of pink, and how Hyukjae quickly retracted his hand and hid it in his sleeve.

 

“Let us go to the river.” Hyukjae said.

 

Playfully, Donghae captured Hyukjae’s wrist again. Hyukjae stopped walking and turned to look at him with wide eyes.

 

“I don’t want to get lost again.” Donghae explained.

 

Hyukjae blinked his large almond eyes at Donghae for three seconds, and then continued walking in silence.

 

“Aren’t you going to eat the ddeok?” Donghae asked, because while the silence was not uncomfortable, Donghae wanted to hear Hyukjae talk.

 

Hyukjae hummed in reply.

 

“Do you want me to feed you?” Donghae asked.

 

Hyukjae stopped walking and turned to look at Donghae. “Hae Hae wants to feed Hyukjae?”

 

“Yeah… I mean… Since you fed me as well…” Donghae ended lamely.

 

“Hyukjae was waiting for Donghae to feed him. Hyukjae was waiting since the fishcakes, but all Donghae did was to feed himself!” Hyukjae stomped his foot, turned away from Donghae and folded his arms.

 

Was Hyukjae throwing a little temper tantrum right now? Donghae had to smile. It was so cute. (Even though Donghae didn’t know why he felt this way.) He could even bet that Hyukjae was sporting that adorable pout.

 

Donghae grabbed Hyukjae’s waist and forced him to twirl around such that they were now facing each other. Hyukjae was looking down, and Donghae was right, Hyukjae was pouting. Donghae his lips, which suddenly turned very dry. He felt that he really should kiss Hyukjae right now. So he leaned in instinctively.

 

“Wait, Hae Hae.” Hyukjae said softly. “We’re not at our secret spot yet.” It was as if Hyukjae had anticipated that Donghae might actually kiss him.

 

Donghae had to laugh. Secret spot? They had a secret spot? Instead of kissing Hyukjae, Donghae settled for leaning and whispering in the other’s ear. “And what exactly do we do at our secret spot?”

 

Donghae felt Hyukjae shiver from his husky voice at his ear. Then, Hyukjae leaned in, whispering in Donghae’s ear. “Hae Hae does… naughty things to Hyukjae.”

 

There were tingles all the way down his spine from Hyukjae’s breath at his ear, and Donghae’s heart fluttered in a way it normally should not. Was Hyukjae… flirting back at him?

 

Hyukjae took a step back and gave Donghae a wink.

 

Donghae almost choked on his saliva. He had absolutely no idea that Hyukjae had a salacious side.

 

“Let us go.” Hyukjae gave Donghae a meaningful smile, and then interlaced his fingers with Donghae’s; making sure that their billowy sleeves concealed their held hands.

 

They approached a small, concealed pavilion near the lake. Several large willow trees hid the spot, and it was unlikely that any person would come upon this place by chance. It was quiet, a complete opposite from the bustling streets across the lake. Donghae watched the moonlight ripple over the water in the lake, and looked up.

 

He gasped when he saw the array of stars. That was something that he never would have seen in Seoul. It was beautiful and magical at the same time.

 

“That’s Aquarius.” Hyukjae had placed his bag of sweet ddeok on the stone table in the pavilion. He stretched his thin arms around Donghae’s waist and whispered in Donghae’s ear.

 

“What?” Donghae was confused. Who was Aquarius?

 

“The man pouring the water in the sky. The water carrier. Hae Hae was born under the stars of Aquarius, and he was named so.”

 

Donghae saw the cluster of stars that Hyukjae was referring. They twinkled back at him.

 

“What about you?” Donghae was curious.

 

“Hyukjae was born under the star Pleione, the water nymph, which was why Hyukjae’s parents thought that Hyukjae would be a girl. But Hyukjae is not.”

 

Donghae turned around and looked into Hyukjae’s earnestly. “But you are beautiful all the same.” He thumbed Hyukjae’s cheek gently and smiled when he saw Hyukjae’s cheeks tinge the lightest shade of pink.

 

Donghae tilted his head to the right and leaned in. He closed his eyes, knowing that Hyukjae’s lids had fluttered shut, and gave the sweetest of kisses to Hyukjae. As soon as their lips pressed together, Donghae’s heart exploded with passion. He grew more desperate, wanting to taste more of Hyukjae. He nibbled at Hyukjae’s soft, plump lips, his tongue seeking entry to Hyukjae’s mouth. Hyukjae responded eagerly in kind, devouring Donghae’s lips with ardour.

 

Donghae’s fingers moved towards the strings that held the outer layer of the hanbok together. He pulled at them, and tugged the layer off, only to be faced with another layer. This was one of the reasons he disliked traditional wear. There were simply too many layers. His fingers grew clumsy in his haste, and Hyukjae actually giggled at Donghae’s poor attempt to get his clothes off.

 

“Wait, Hae Hae.” Hyukjae said softly once Donghae’s palm caressed Hyukjae’s bare skin.

 

Wait? Donghae couldn’t wait.

 

But Hyukjae pulled him into the pavilion, where there was a small mattress made from straw and several thick duvets. Least to say, Donghae was quite surprised.

 

“I brought the duvets here the other day… because it might be cold…” Hyukjae said shyly.

 

Donghae smiled and kissed his lover. He laid Hyukjae gently down on the mattress and pushed the hanbok off Hyukjae’s creamy shoulder, which glowed in the moonlight.

 

“Your skin is so soft.” Donghae murmured as he nuzzled Hyukjae’s neck.

 

Hyukjae moaned wantonly, his fingers nimbly divesting Donghae of his clothes.

_

 

Hyukjae chewed on the ddeok that Donghae fed him happily.

 

Donghae watched his lover eat with gusto. He couldn’t believe Hyukjae’s stomach growled instantly once their love making session had ended.

 

“What promise did I make?” Donghae asked as he placed another ddeok in Hyukjae’s mouth.

 

Hyukjae held up a finger to indicate that he would speak once he finished chewing. It was so cute, Donghae thought. He pulled Hyukjae’s waist closer to his under the duvet, entwining their legs together.

 

“Hae Hae promised never to abandon me forever and ever and forever.” Hyukjae announced once he had finished chewing.

 

“Forever and ever and forever?”

 

“Hae Hae said something difficult… Something about a love that lasts for eternity…” Hyukjae squinted and tilted his head, thinking hard.

 

I promise to love you for eternity; a kind of love that surpasses lifetimes. Wherever you go, I will always find you, and love you the same.

 

Donghae blinked in shock as he heard himself speaking in his head.

 

“But it meant forever and ever and forever, right?” Hyukjae looked at Donghae, his long lashes fluttering as he blinked.

 

Donghae didn’t understand how Hyukjae so easily entranced him. But, he leaned in and gave Hyukjae another kiss.

 

“What was that for?” Hyukjae asked shyly, a light blush painting his cheeks again.

 

“Just because.” Donghae murmured.

 

“We should go soon.” Hyukjae said quietly.

 

“Go where?” Donghae asked. He didn’t want to go anymore. He just wanted to snuggle with Hyukjae under the stars forever and ever and forever. Only this felt right.

 

“Home, silly Hae Hae.” Hyukjae laughed.

 

Donghae felt that Hyukjae’s laugh was like bells tinkling in the breeze. It was so charming... and it made Donghae fall deeper in love with Hyukjae, a man he just met today, but presumably knew for ages.

 

“But I want to sleep with you.” Donghae whined.

 

“Hae Hae just did.” Hyukjae joked.

 

Donghae snorted because Hyukjae was actually right.

 

“It’s okay. Hae Hae can sleep for a while. Hyukjae will wake Hae Hae up.” Hyukjae said.

 

Donghae leaned into Hyukjae’s bare chest, cherishing their closeness. His lips felt droopy after the tiring day he had. He didn’t even know why it was tiring, but he suddenly felt so exhausted.

 

_

 

Donghae’s head was pounding. Again. He thought it had stopped pounding yesterday. He snuggled deeper into Hyukjae’s chest, not waiting to wake up.

 

“Why, you’re quite the snuggler.” A cool voice said.

 

Donghae froze. Something felt weird about the situation. His eyes shot open and met those same beautiful almond shaped eyes with long eyelashes of a BLONDE?!

 

“Hyukkie, what did you do with your hair?” Donghae sounded nearly in utter dismay.

 

“Hyukkie?” The other chuckled. “I’m Eunhyuk, but you can call me Hyukkie anytime. You were screaming that the whole time last night anyway.”

 

Donghae’s eyes widened as he realised their natural state under the covers, and then turned to stare back at Eunhyuk’s twinkling eyes. They were just like the sparkling stars of the night sky.