Needs

Holding Onto You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Myungsoo had been watching Haneul all morning silently. She had been avoiding his eyes and spoke so little since breakfast. She even tried to appear busy at the farm to get away from him, poking the soil with no absolute reason, just to dig out an earth worm. She shrieked and ran away, but came back almost immediately, making a straight face; or at least tried to. All the while, he was only staring. When she caught him staring, he was still staring, so Haneul looked away and pretended to have not noticed.

                "Was it because of last night?" he asked himself, while he was pulling out weeds. But they were really soft, he thought, ears turning red. He knew he seemed like a ert but she was the one who pulled him to them, he said to himself. Is she mad because of that, he wondered. Haneul was pulling weeds as well, with her face miserable. "I guess she is..."

                The silence between them stretched until the sun set. That evening after dinner, Myungsoo sat down outside again, wondering if Haneul would come out again. On the other hand, his body was really aching from all the work. He wished that he had accepted her offer for a massage. However, that would mean no hug and he didn't want to trade anything for that hug. He lied down like a starfish, looking up the night sky.

                "Kim Myungsoo, refrain yourself," he told himself. He wished that he could, but in the end he was still a man with his needs. If anything, he was behaving normally. He couldn't help thinking about women; particularly Haneul at that moment. Though he knew that it was a bad idea to let her know since she would freak out and probably run away... Who would want to go on a journey with a ert? But it wasn't as if he was a monk so there was no way he could stop thinking about it and this wasn't even a journey to the west. Then is this a journey to the "south"... his rated mind spoke.

                "Aish Kim Myungsoo, refrain yourself!" Sighing, he returned to his room, took out his phone and watched some rated anime with Haneul on his mind.

                The next morning, Myungsoo woke up and walked sleepily to the bathroom. He regretted staying up so late because his head felt heavy. How he wished he could just sleep in. In this situation, he really wanted to go home... He was about to open the door to the bathroom when Haneul came out. Startled, they stared at one another and Myungsoo looked away first, reminded about what he was thinking the night before and blushed. Haneul didn't notice since she too was looking away.

                "Good morning..." he said, looking up.

                "Good morning..." she replied and came out of the bathroom. Then she walked away to her room while Myungsoo entered the bathroom and did his business and washed his face.

                Once he was done, he joined Teacher Song and Haneul to prepare breakfast in the kitchen. Their breakfast was always so simple; with rice and a lot of banchan. They sat down together and began eating and the old man said something that made Myungsoo so relieved. "I think you can both rest today. There isn't much to do now that we have planted the seeds and all."

                "But what about the chicken...?" Myungsoo asked.

                "I can manage, don't worry," he said, smiling. "Besides, your face doesn't really look so good. Are you not feeling well?" 

                "A-aniya..." he replied, with a sense of guilt. He caught Haneul looking at him, making his face red. "I'm fine..."

                "You really don't look too good..." the old man said, "Just rest at home for today. It's okay, I can manage."

                "I will help..." Haneul said quietly.

                "Then who will look after this young man? Don't worry, just rest, the two of you. You've been working hard the past few days and it doesn't hurt to rest for a day," he said, making the young people unable to say anything. He stood up and left soon after and Myungsoo and Haneul were sitting on the porch, next to each other.

                The weather was good that morning with the sky so blue. There were already hints of summer in the air. Myungsoo were worried a little, thinking about it. When it gets warmer, it'd be difficult to travel. He didn't like the cold weather either but walking under the sun was going to be such a dread. He didn't think Haneul would even last 15 minutes...

                "Are you unwell..." she said slowly but was sudden enough to startle him.

                Myungsoo looked up and down, "Just a little tired..."

                "Oh..."

                "Don't worry I'll be fine... Just need to rest." With that, he lied down on the porch with his legs facing away from her, closing his eyes and enjoying the soft breeze. After a minute of realising that Haneul was very quiet, he opened his eyes again, looking up at her. "Something wrong?"

                She was looking at her hands on her laps, "Ani..."

                Myungsoo was about to mention about the hug but stopped himself. It would only make her more embarrassed, he thought. He sniffled and stretched his arms and let out a moan. Then sleepiness began to take over him but he tried to fight it and asked Haneul sleepily.

                "Haneul, are you enjoying this trip..."

                She took a few seconds to answer, "I do... But I think I can't do anything much. You're the one doing most of the work while I'm just... being a burden."

                "...Do you like being with me?"

                "Eh?"

                "Do you like being with me?" he repeated, looking at her face. She flustered a little before nodding. "Me too," he said, smiling. "So it doesn't matter, about the work and all. I am happy to have a company on this trip and if this is the price then I don't mind."

                He smiled but Haneul was pouting. "Still doesn't feel like it's sufficient..."

                "Then... You can give me a massage like you said." Haneul flustered for the second time, probably reminded of the hug. He quickly spoke again, "My head is hurting a bit..."

                She stared at him with a little pout, looking reluctant and didn't say anything. Myungsoo pouted back and sighed, "Don't mind it then..."

                "I-I'll massage!"

                Myungsoo smiled, showing his dimples and shifted upwards towards her. His head bumped against her thigh and he looked up again. He studied her face for a few seconds saying, "Can I put my head on your lap?"

                "Yes?" she asked, startled.

                "Easier to massage my head..."

                "Oh..." she was at loss but straightened her legs and watched in half horror as Myungsoo lifted his head and lied down on her lap. He looked up, with the same kitten smile and closed his eyes. Haneul blinked rapidly. Her heart was beating loudly and she was so close to shriek and run away. Realising that Haneul wasn't moving, Myungsoo opened his eyes again.

                "Haneul?"

                "Y-yes? Ah... Ah!" she composed herself and slowly touched his hair. This position doesn't make it easy for me though, she screamed inside her head. As Myungsoo closed his eyes, she began massaging carefully. She focused on his forehead first, then his temples and the top of his head. "Does it feel okay...?"

                Myungsoo didn't reply.

                "Kim Myungsoo? Eh?"

                Haneul stared at his face in wonder. His lips were still curved into a smile and he looked so serene. His breathing was calm and his complexion seemed better than this morning. She stopped massaging him but was scared that it would wake him up therefore gently, she started his hair instead. She did it with hesitation at first but somehow seeing his calm face made her calm in return. So she ran her fingers through his thick hair, gently. For the first time in a few days, she found herself smiling in relief.

                She wondered if he was making the same face when she hugged him that night. It was embarrassing yet she didn't find it regrettable. She never knew her touch would make someone make such face. She thought she wouldn't mind doing it again, to see that expression again.

                And although her legs were getting numb, all morning, she sat like that with Myungsoo sleeping on her lap. Listening to his soft breathing, Haneul finally fell asleep too, while sitting up. That night, Myungsoo was smiling all the time, even if not at her but at the villagers who came by to dine together. And she to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter