"...예"

Holding Onto You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                Due to exhaustion, Haneul only woke up at 10am the next day. While her hands weren't stinging as before, her body was aching everywhere and she didn't really feel like getting up. But because the owner was sweeping the place which was almost empty, she sat up and hugged her knees. Myungsoo was still sleeping on his side with his mouth opened a little. She laughed a little and poked his arm to see if he would wake up. But he didn't even stir. Haneul looked at the clock without thinking of anything. Then her stomach growled. She looked over at Myungsoo again.

                "Kim Myungsoo..." she called out. When it didn't work, she shook his arm a little and called him out again. Seeing that there was no effect, Haneul shook his leg. "Myungsoo!"

                To her annoyance, he only whined and wanted to turn away to continue sleeping. But she held his leg and so he could only to his back. He opened his eyes only a little but then suddenly sat up when he saw her frowning at him. He sat crossed legs, pouting and scratching his head. Then he saw the clock and his jaw dropped.

                "No wonder I felt hungry in my dreams..."

                "You didn't hear me calling you but you could feel hungry?"

                Myungsoo pretended not to hear and yawned widely. He scratched his arm next and then was like spacing off while staring at the floor. He could as well be sleeping while sitting up. Haneul frowned again.

                "Aren't we setting out again?"

                "Ah, yeah..." he replied, blinking slowly. He was about to space off again but he must've felt Haneul's sharp stare that he quickly straightened his back. "Anyway, let's find food first..."

                Haneul nodded and stood up. Myungsoo reluctantly followed, eyeing his block pillow. Then he dragged his feet to change clothes and while waiting for her outside the bathhouse, he kept on yawning and having a hard time to keep his eyes open. When Haneul came out, he began walking slowly, so she followed. Haneul was hungry so she didn't say a thing the whole time. They ate at a nearby restaurant and Haneul could finally smile when her tummy was full.

                She thought they were heading back to the bathhouse afterwards, but Myungsoo kept on walking until they reached the stall where he had snacks before. She still felt bitter about how he didn't offer her anything and pouted when Myungsoo approached the stalls and ordered something. She sat down frowning. Soon, two bowls of shaved ice came. She looked at him in questions.

                "I just feel guilty that I didn't give you any before... I'm sorry," he said, puffing his cheeks. Did he think acting cute will let him off the hook? Haneul wanted to stare at him longer but was also disturbed by the fact that the ice will melt.

                "Well, I accept it this time!" she said, digging in her spoon. She couldn't help but to squeal when the ice touched her tongue. The adzuki were really fresh since they were homemade and it really was refreshing to eat it on such day. Haneul was eating slowly while Myungsoo was gobbling up his and then got up to buy hotteoks. She blinked rapidly.

                "Eat these too," he said, biting his hot hotteok.

                Haneul was still full from the noodle she had before and nodded awkwardly. Boys really do eat a lot, she thought. Myungsoo appeared to be deep in thought while eating while looking at the table. Then he finally spoke, "How about resting for one more day here?"

                "Eh?"

                "Your body must be aching, right? You worked so hard yesterday. How are your hands?" he asked, rapidly.

                "They're fine now... I think I'll be okay."

                "But you should rest. Besides, it's already too late to start out now. It'll be too hot to walk," he said, finishing his hotteok and looking around as if he wasn't thinking of anything.

                "Oh..." she nodded, though not agreeing completely. She slowly finished her shaved ice and then they headed back to the bathhouse where he happily told the owner that they were extending one more night. Haneul was wondering what she was going to do with the free time while Myungsoo was already lying on his back, watching something on his phone with his ears plugged with earphones. She lied down too, facing away.

                When she first thought about going on a journey like this, she'd never thought it'd be this uneventful. She thought that they would always be on the move or working; therefore, just lying down and playing with phone seemed rather odd. Although it was tiring, she had to admit that the days they spent working felt fulfilling to her. It never occurred to her to have meals with strangers or doing odd jobs for the day like that. It was a new world for her - one that she couldn't wait to explore more. She smiled to herself and turned to look at Myungsoo who was lying on his side, watching whatever on his phone with a serious face. She frowned.

                And suddenly the whole new world thing became a precarious and impossible thought. She lied on her back and whined to herself, throwing tantrum and kicking air. It definitely caught Myungsoo's attention when he took off his earphones and stared at her with a surprised face.

                "What's the matter? Are you hungry?"

                Of all things, he asked whether she was hungry?! Haneul only kept quiet with a frown without even looking at him. She sniffled and almost jumped when he scooted over closer to look at her face.

                "What is it? Tell me."

                "N-nothing."

                Myungsoo blinked slowly and with a bit of pout, he said "Okay."

                No, it's not okay! She screamed in her head. She thought he would go away but he didn't and was like staring as if he didn't realise it. She looked to the other way, feeling weird.

                "Um..." he started, still staring at her, "By any chance... Have you told your parents about going around like this?"

                Haneul stopped frowning - even breathing. She knew he'd sooner or later ask this question but she never really prepared the answer. She kept quiet, playing with the towel on her tummy, avoiding his eyes that were really, really, really imploring that she wanted to squeak. Myungsoo finally retreated a bit and scratched his cheek.

                "Well, if you can, just let them know that you're safe and all. I mean, what if they put you on missing person list? That won't be good..." he said, thinking to himself.

                Haneul slowly sat up and hugged her knees. "I'll let them know. Don't worry."

                When she sniffled, Myungsoo smiled a little and nodded and suddenly his hand was about to reach her but it stopped midair above her head. Haneul didn't even move to evade because she had poor reflex but she was still surprised. They didn't move for a while and she stared at him wide-eyed. Myungsoo quickly pulled his hand away and tilted his head. He then cleared his throat and retreated away when he saw her narrowing her eyes at him.

                Haneul wondered what was that all about and kept on looking at him while he lied down facing away again, plugged in his earphones and continued watching whatever it was on his phone. Then he suddenly looked over his shoulder and asked, "What do you want for dinner?"

                Is food all he has in his mind? Haneul stared at him in horror, so Myungsoo was blinking rapidly and wondering what was wrong. Looking at how lost he looked, she sighed. "Anything is fine..."

                "Oh, okay," he said, and continued watching his phone.

                Haneul sighed again, and lied down on her side facing the opposite side. It was only afternoon. There was barely anyone in the bathhouse but them so it was quiet. Haneul fiddled with her phone but found nothing interesting to do and eventually fell asleep.

                Myungsoo was still watching his phone when she woke up 2 hours later. His phone was attached to a power bank and he was facing her with his eyebrows knitted together. Haneul looked at him for a moment before she got up with a loud sigh and dragged herself to bathe since there was nothing much to do. The only person in the bath was an ahjumma who was scrubbing the floor while Haneul was submerged until her nose. She almost sighed in the water.

                The next day, she woke up early and was pumped up to get going but Myungsoo was still sleeping. She tried to wake him up but he didn't even stir! The night before, he had been watching his phone for hours straight and she had fallen asleep before him. Haneul shook him roughly and even pounded on his back with her fist.

                Myungsoo moaned but didn't open his eyes at all. Haneul was losing her patience so she tried everything from shaking, pounding and then tickled his ear and nose. Myungsoo stirred and whined but remained sleeping. Haneul gave up soon after and was just sitting against the wall limply.

                "Not again..."

                Haneul did wonder whether she should take his phone as well to stop him from watching whatever that was in his phone. Maybe he was watching something ecchi, she thought, frowning. But who in the world would watch that for hours straight...? Haneul shot him a frown and then dragged herself to the bath again, where again she submerged herself for a long time...

                Myungsoo wouldn't want to wake up if not for his tummy which was growling for food. He sat up with his eyes still closed, scratched his tummy and tried his best to stay awake. Once his mind was no longer foggy, he opened his eyes and scanned his surroundings. There were already people settling in and watching TV and he was surprised that it was already 3 in the afternoon. Then he saw Haneul sitting beside him against the wall, hugging her knees and frowning hard. Although she wasn't looking at him, he knew that it was intended for him.

                "Uh..."

                Haneul snapped her head to look at him, but said nothing. Then she looked away and continued frowning. Myungsoo gulped.

               "I'm sorry... I overslept." Haneul didn't respond and just kept on staring at the floor which made him a little worried. Myungsoo turned to her and smiled guiltily. "I'm sorry... You must be hungry... I'll wash my face and we'll go eat, oh?"

                He waited for a response but none came, so he asked her to change clothes while he was standing up. He got ready quickly and waited for her who came out 10 minutes later. Her face was without expression and she was very quiet. So Myungsoo silently walked with her trailing behind. They stopped by the affordable restaurant again and she only spoke when she relayed her menu. Then she was staring at the table with a little frown.

                She ate slowly and Myungsoo was unconsciously following her pace. When they had finished, Myungsoo thought he s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter