Foreign

Holding Onto You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                Myungsoo had been standing at the same spot for almost an hour; tilting his camera to every angle he could, frowning at the little screen to find the right view, just to snap a picture that he deleted immediately without even checking the details.

                If writers have writer's block, is this what they call photographer's block? Myungsoo put down his camera, letting it hung around his neck and stared off at the Jeollanamdo spreading before his eyes. The view was spectacular but he couldn't get even a speck of it into his photos. He had went all his way to climb up the trails, and his legs were a bit shaky since he didn't even stop, eager to find an inspiration - all for vain. Myungsoo walked onto the Cloud Bridge and stood right in the middle. He picked up his camera again, took a picture of a hill peak and a picture of the pagoda that he passed by while climbing.

                Without even checking them, he turned off his camera, and just spaced off. It was a quiet afternoon and no one seemed to be climbing up there except for some foreigners. The wind was singing into his ears. His eyes were feasting on the scenery. But his heart was empty.

                Myungsoo didn't glance back while he was going down the hill, heading straight to the bus stand once he reached the bottom. Then he fell asleep on the bus during the one hour journey. As if there was an alarm inside his head, he woke up just minutes before the bus pulled over near the train station. Myungsoo fixed his backpack, got off the bus and headed towards the station. He bought a ticket and just then a train arrived. But he chose to sit down at a bench on the platform and took out his camera.

                There were hundreds of images that he had taken during the period he was travelling around. However, the more places he visited, the lesser pictures he was taking; together with the money in his pocket.  Each time he picked up his camera, it was as if he had drawn a really bad picture. There was nothing expressed in them, even if it was the right angle. None of the photos called for a second glancing.

                How many weeks had it been? Myungsoo kept on scrolling the photos without even looking at them, and finally stopped at a picture. The setting sunlight reflected on the pavement and gave it hues of oranges, blue and purple. The trees were deep green and Myungsoo could still feel how gently the wind had blown that day. He still remembered the smell in the air, the warmness and most importantly, the tingles emanated from his chest which spread through his body that caused his eyes to water even then. It was a picture that he had wanted to delete but never could. Probably he never will. But this was the picture that had stood before him, causing other pictures to pale and seem out of proportions. If he was writing a book, this would be his one-time bestseller.

                 Myungsoo watched the second train stopping but made no attempt to move. He didn't know where to head next. He didn't know what to do. Probably he should just go home, he thought. He had begun to travel around Korea to take pictures for his portfolio, just to be lost in the mesmerizing journey that caused him to postpone his studies at one point. He barely managed to graduate and now he was on what people would call soul-searching journey. During his journey, the sauna had become his home anywhere he visited and he would always welcome the free eggs that the ahjummas happily offered to him. He tends to get free buns and breads too, especially when he went out early in the morning and passed by the small bakeries in the neighbourhood. He might not have money but somehow he could live off his smile too, he thought.

                However, even those memories were not able to make him smile then. He stared at his black camera in his hands, suddenly feeling like it was a strange object that he didn't know what to make of it. It was the camera that he had bought during the first year of university and the one he had been clicking every day since then. He still remembered the thrill of holding it for the first time, taking pictures of his best friend who never really looked at the camera. However, he managed to capture every small smile that she gave as she turned to him for a split second. Either it was the camera's work or because she was in the frames. But she would no longer turn to him and the wide space between them felt similar to how he was feeling about his camera.

                Detached.

                A distant friend.

                An ex-lover.

                Myungsoo stared at it for a long time, ignoring the third train that arrived and the people walking past. He wished it would tell him what to do, what was wrong and tell him how to fix it. But the more he stared at it, the more he felt like he was holding onto something foreign. Myungsoo took its bag from the floor and placed the camera in carefully. He played with the little TVXQ keychain dangling from the zipper for a moment before placing the bag beside him on the bench. He then watched the train moving away and stared at the other side of the tracks at the empty benches. The time seemed to be moving slowly and when the next train came, and no one got in or out of the train. He stood up, trudged towards the door just before it closed and then he stood at the door as the train moved away.

                Goodbye.

                Yes, perhaps this was the best thing to do. In order to move on, he needed to let go. There was no other choice since no one or nothing was able to tell him what to do. Myungsoo sat down in the empty train, took out his phone and plugged in his earphones. He leaned his head against the window, gazing at the sun lowering in the sky. Ah, how he hated this scene. Pouting, he closed his eyes and despite forgetting to turn on the music on his phone, he fell asleep.

                He woke up 10 minutes before the train reached the next station, and headed straight to the nearest pojang. He ate a good meal (because the ahjumma kept on giving him free side dishes) and walked to the nearby public bathhouse with a happy tummy. Somehow he felt lighter as if he had dropped a huge burden and he found himself smiling as he was soaking in the warm water that he almost fell asleep. He drank some banana milk that another ahjumma gave him and slept soundly with sheep towel on his head. The camera never crossed his mind the whole evening. Or rather, he was trying not to think about it.

                "I'm happy," he said to himself, staring up the dimmed ceiling of the sauna house. The ahjussi sleeping 5 feet away from him started snoring. Myungsoo sighed and closed his eyes. Tomorrow was going to be a new day; he will go home, find a job and start anew. He wanted to find a new passion, a new dream and something else that he might be good at. Should he try comedy, he thought. Myungsoo pondered about it quite seriously that night.

                And he woke up with a horrified face the next morning. He cupped the sides of head, wondering what he was thinking when he left the camera at the train station. Hastily, he washed up and clothed himself and ran to the train station. There was a huge possibility that someone has found the camera; probably a kind man who passed it to the railway lost and found officer or a considerate old lady who took it the police station .Or a grade school boy wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter