Prologue

Monster

Ch 00. Prologue

Do you know what these dates are?

 

“Sehun-ah, behave well while I’m gone. Okay?” An elder said while smiling at his son who was standing right next to a woman in her mid 20s. “Or your babysitter might won’t stay with you for long.”

Thirteen years old Oh Sehun didn’t exactly reply. He only nodded without feeling like he’ll miss his father or worry about him whatsoever. In fact, he didn’t even look at his father in the eyes as if not interested – his gaze was down to the ground as his hands slipped into his pocket – but his father seemed to be used to the attitude he was given.

His father only smiled warmly in reply. And that was what bothering the woman next to him; to see him behaving like that toward his father who had given him so much love.  “Sehun-ah, say good bye to your father.”

“Good bye, dad.” Sehun bowed at his father while still keeping a flat expression before running back into the living room.

“Maybe he is upset that you had to leave, sir.” The woman said after watching the little boy walking away from their sight. “He is afterall only a little boy who loves his father very much.”

Mr. Oh nodded slowly while giving her a small smile. “Yeah, he never agree with me going around on business trips since… you know… her mother…” He narrowed his brows a little. “Well, I should get going before I miss the flight. I’m counting on you, Yoo Inha-ssi. If Sehun ever troubles you, you have my full permission to tell him off.”

“Ahah, don’t worry.” Yoo Inha, the babysitter, smiled back in reply. “I’m sure Sehun can behave well even when you’re gone for a few days. I’ve spent so many times with him. He is a good boy, sajangnim1.”

In the corner of his eyes, Sehun noticed that his father and his babysitter conversed a bit before bidding goodbyes with one another. They seemed really close and he almost thought they were having an affair since long. Speaking of the devil, his babysitter, or Inha as what he’d like to call her, immediately approached him afterward and began to accompany him.

Sehun on the other hand was just quiet while playing his favourite game on his laptop. As always, he would prefer not to talk as it made him uncomfortable everytime he talked to her.

“Did you feel upset because your father has to leave for a business trip?”

Especially when she started asking questions.  It was getting annoying because she didn’t know a thing, but acting like she knew everything.

“I’m not sure.” Sehun replied briefly while still focusing to finish the game he was playing at the moment. “Why?”

Inha exhaled while watching him playing the game. Games seemed to be his favorite thing to do that he became so careless of everything around him. She soon looked around to admire the interiors of the apartment, they probably costed so much more than she could afford. Back to the boy she was taking care of, he was glancing at her with the kind of glare she’d never understand before turning his head back to his laptop screen. She squinted her eyes a bit while scanning him; something about him was a bit odd today.

“I know you were still in trauma because of your mother…” Inha spoke again while exhaling her breath.

Sehun quietly widened his eyes and abruptly stopped playing the game. He didn’t want speak about his mother anymore as it would promptly remind him of so many traumatic events in his life. “Last year… January 11th, May 9th, October 19th…” He said slowly. “Do you know what these dates are?”

“Uh… no? What are those?”

“They…” he stopped for a second to take a breathe. “They are the dates when my father went on business trips.”

“Oh, well, what about it?” She innocently raised her eyebrows at him. “Can you tell me?”

It’s the perfect timing. She didn’t know what is coming toward her… does she? He chortled quietly. I guess not at all. Sehun didn’t have to think twice to lift his head and ask a question very immediately after that. “Ma’am, may I use the bathroom?”

“Sure.” Inha nodded with a small smile as if feeling not satisfied upon knowing the fact that her question was unanswered. “I will be waiting here.”

Sehun stood from the ground and walked toward the back area of the apartment before stopping nearby a door. He glanced over his shoulder to make sure Inha was busy and not paying attention to him that wasn’t actually heading to the toilet, but a bedroom.

His bedroom.

He entered the room with heavy steps and stopped in front of a painting above his bed. He lifted the painting off the wall and put it down on his bed, revealing a big box glued to the wall with the size that resembled the painting frame. Carefully, he opened the box and grabbed a big hammer out of it.

Soon he brought the hammer down and dragged it with him outside his room.

“What is that sound, Sehun-ah?” Inha asked from the distance.

“Uh… nothing.”

Sehun replied as normal as he could while still dragging the big hammer with him. As soon as he arrived in the living room, he stood there behind Inha who was busy changing channels on TV. I’m sorry, Inha. He said coldly in his heart while lifting his hammer with all his strength.

“Ma’am, you previously asked what about those dates I told you.” Sehun mumbled while glaring at her as soon as she turned around. Her expression was terrified when she saw the hammer in his hand. “Let me tell you one thing. Those dates are the dates when my father went on business trips…”

BAM.

The hammer hit her perfectly on the head as fresh blood dripped down from her forehead.

“As well as the dates when someone went missing in this neighborhood.”

Sehun stopped as soon as the woman was lying lifelessly on the ground, and he sat there next to her after dropping the hammer. He glanced over to her and then looked away while still keeping a flat expression despite panting so badly due to all of his energy that had been wasted to use the hammer.


There is a murderous monster in my house.

 

He eventually put the big hammer back into the proper place and properly hid the box with the painting frame, before clasping his palms together to clean it from any possible dust.


1sajangnim = boss or president, used to call someone whose position is higher than you in Korean word.


A/N: Yay or nay? I hope you guys like the prologue. Next chapter will revolve around present days where the story will actually start. Please comment and tell me what do you think as it encourages me a lot in writing the next chapter :)