Chapter 5

The Love Rivalry

          The following day, we were awakened by the ringtone of Hoya's phone. He searched for it in his jeans pocket and sighed at the sight of the caller ID. It read Ga Eun. He laid down next to me and picked up while holding my hand. I rested my head on his chest, listening to the sweet melody of his heart beats.

 

"Hello ?"

 

          I frowned as I couldn't hear what Ga Eun was saying.

 

"I work the afternoon shift."

 

          Annoyed, I let my hand caress his chest and his muscular body. I didn't want him to talk to another woman so early in the morning. Not after our night of passion. Moreover, Ga Eun had fallen for him..

 

"Ah.. I'm busy right now." he said nothing for a moment. "No, actually I'm doing some sports."

 

          I giggled as I listened to his pretext. He had just woken up but he wouldn't let her know that.

 

"Okay, I'll see you later."

 

          He hung up and threw his cellphone away. Then, I was pinned to the bed as he kissed my lips.

 

"Why are you making fun of me ?"

"Sports ? Really ?" I pinched his cheek. "When you're still in bed."

"Well, she doesn't need to know that I've spent an amazing night with her best friend."

"You're right."

 

          I brought his head closer with the help of my hands in his hair. I pressed my lips against his, asking for one hot kiss. Hoya my upper lip and I let his tongue in. It fought with mine for a while. I was satisfied when he pulled away and kissed all over my face.

 

"Do you know what I crave for ?" he asked.

"No."

"Breakfast."

"I'm sorry Oppa, I don't usually-"

 

          I was interrupted by another kiss. I blinked as I realized what he had meant. He wasn't craving for food. No, he wanted something else. And I climbed onto him as I wanted it too.

 

. . .

 

          Although I had not seen Hoya for a day, I could still picture our passionate night. It was hard to concentrate on my job when I only thought about him. I wondered if we would go on dates, if we could, as we had to hide from my best friend. I told myself that it wasn't a good idea to secretly date. Ga Eun had to know about my feelings for Hoya. And that he liked me too.

          I snapped out of my thoughts when someone called my name. I was surprised to see Hoya and Ga Eun.

 

"What is your daydream about ?" she giggled.

"Ah.. nothing important." I replied.

"I see.. you'll tell me later." she winked.

 

          She grabbed Hoya's arm and made me feel uncomfortable. The latter looked helpless.

 

"We've decided to come here for our date." she explained.

"Well, actually-" Hoya tried to say.

"Actually, Hoya is shy."

"Is there anything I can do to help you ?" I asked. "If there isn't, I have plenty of things to do. I'll see you later."

 

          I smiled and walked away. I couldn't bare the sight of my best friend and my boyfriend. Even if I knew he had no feelings for her. The situation was so complex. I was trying to look busy when he came closer.

 

"____.." he pouted. "Don't be angry."

"I'm not."

"Babe.."

"Why have you brought her here ?"

"She's the one who wanted to come." he explained. "And I thought it was a good idea."

"A good idea ?"

"How do you feel ?"

"Bad ! You and her.. I hate it !" I answered.

"Now you know, we can't lie to her. She'll stick to me if she thinks I'm single."

"I don't want her to do that."

"Me neither."

 

          He caressed my cheek slowly, then, he kissed my forehead.

 

"Where is she ?" I whispered.

"Changing room."

"You should go back."

"Darling.." he pleaded.

"I will tell her, I promise."

 

. . .

 

          Later, the same day, I phoned Ga Eun in the evening. She immediately started telling me about her day with Hoya. I cut her off by asking her to meet me somewhere. Although she seemed surprised, Ga Eun accepted this late invitation.

          After a short drive, I reached the place I had asked her to come to.

 

"Is there something wrong ?" she asked as soon as she saw me.

"We need to talk."

"Are you sick ____ ? Your face doesn't look good."

"I'm fine." I replied. "I need to tell you something.."

"What is it ?"

"Hoya is.." I started. "He is.."

"Ah.. you've seen him with a girl, is that it ?" she cut me off. "Don't worry ____. We're not officially together, even if there is something serious between us."

"Is there ?"

"Well, do you remember when he had taken me to the restaurant ?"

"Yeah." I nodded.

"He wanted to confess."

"What ?"

"He had taken me there to confess." she repeated. "But a coworker had followed us."

"So.. he never did it ?"

 

          Ga Eun was wrong. She must have thought that he wanted to confess. Yet, Hoya wasn't interested in her. He had told me he wasn't.

 

"He has done something else instead." she answered.

"What.. is it ?"

"He has given me a kiss."

 

          I frowned as I recalled the past days. Hoya had spent most of his time with me, the way he had looked at me, his sweet words, there weren't any lies. Then, why was she telling me that ? It wasn't possibly true.

 

"When did it happen ?" 

"Our first kiss ?" she said. "On the day he had tried to confess. He came to my place that night and-"

"It's impossible."

"____, I know you have feelings for him but, trust me, you better forget about Ho Won."

"It's impossible because we have spent that night together."

"What ?"

"Hoya was at my place."

 

          She was speechless for a while.

 

"Why are you doing this ?" I said. "Eonni, why are you lying to me ?"

"I can't believe you've spent a night with him.."

"And I can't believe you were lying."

"I love him !" she yelled. "And you've stolen my boyfriend away !"

"He's not your boyfriend."

"I thought you were my best friend."

 

          I couldn't believe it. She had been the one who had tried to ruin my love story, she had lied to me, and I was the one who had to put up with accusations.

 

"I love Hoya."

"You're always like this, aren't you ?" she sighed.

"What are you talking about ?"

"Every time I'm in love with someone, you ruin our relationship."

"I've never-"

"It has been so hard for me, ____. You're so discrete when I'm outgoing, but guys always like you better."

"I.. I didn't know.."

"I told you about my feelings for Hoya."

"I'm sorry.. When I met him, I had no idea he was the one you had told me about."

"I don't any excuses." she mumbled. "I don't want to see you again."

"Ga Eun.." I tried to grab her arm.

"Leave me alone."

 

          She refused skin ship while talking. Instead, she walked away and put an end to our friendship.

 

. . .

 

          I sat down on the couch, senseless, as I got back from my meeting with Ga Eun. I tried to recall her past love stories but I was sure I had never been with one of her boyfriends. A guy suddenly came to my mind. We had met him at high school, in fact, he had been my classmate. Since the first day of school, he had been interested in me and we had gotten closer. Yet, we had never been in love. At that time, Ga Eun had told me about her jealousy. She had said that she wanted to be the one who had caught his attention. I had only thought that she had been kidding. Little did I know, her jealousy had existed and it lasted.

 

. . .

 

          Hoya came to the shop the following day because I had sent him a message. He waited for my break to take me to a coffee shop. Once the waitress walked away with our orders, I told him everything.

 

"Have you tried to talk to her again ?" he asked.

"Not yet. I think she needs some time."

"I don't like the look on your face, ____. You're not guilty."

"Oppa, it's true that I've stolen the one she likes."

"You haven't stolen anything." he said. "I don't belong to her and it's not your fault if I've fallen for you."

"I just wish I could turn back time."

"If you could, you wouldn't get to know me, right ?"

"I.. I.."

"____.." he sighed. "Do you want me to get away from you ?"

"What ?"

"Do you want to end our relationship ?"

 

          The right words didn't come to my mind. After a long silence, I finally replied.

 

"If we're not together, Ga Eun can come back to me."

"I get it."

 

          He looked away, probably disappointed by my answer. I brought an hand to his cheek and turned his face to me.

 

"But I'm in love with you." I whispered. "No one can take you away from me. And if I have to choose between my best friend and you-"

"You don't have to choose. Let me talk to her."

"She won't listen."

"We won't know unless we try."

"What will you tell her ?"

"I'll tell her about you, about us." he held my hand. "She needs to know that you haven't done anything wrong."

"Alright. But.. give her some time."

 

          He nodded and softly kissed my hand. I felt lucky to have such a cute boyfriend.

 

"Don't frighten me again." he forbid.

"You're cute when you're worried though !"

"I don't like this feeling."

"Still, you're cute."

"It's not really manly, is it ?"

"You're manly enough." I teased.

"I love you, ____. I love you a lot." he smiled. "You know that, right ?"

"I do. And I love you too."