My Hero

Twin Souls

Taeng eyed Yuri whom just starting to eat his cereal. Tae Hee, their mother saw Taeng looking intensely towards Yuri. She shook her head.

 

“Taeng, start eating or you’ll be late for school.”

 

Yeah Taeng heard his mom but there’s something different with Yuri. He looks even happier and it made him curious the reason his smiling while eating. Taewoo who just got down from the 2nd floor took his seat and he too saw Taeng watching over Yuri.

 

“Kwon Taeng, why are you looking at Yuri like that? Let your brother eat peacefully.”

 

“Dad, he’s smiling.”

 

Taewoo glanced towards Yuri and he too saw him smiling while shoving cereals in his mouth.

 

“Okay Kwon Yuri. Spill it.”

 

Yuri who didn’t pay any attention towards his family finally saw every eyes on him. He slowly put down his bowl and looked down.

 

“Yuri, is there something you want to tell us?”

 

“No…”

 

“Really?”

 

Taewoo probe on it much to Yuri displease.

 

“There’s nothing dad. I’m just..happy.”

 

Hearing Yuri speaking like that in that sad tone sent guilt towards his family. Tae Hee looked at Taewoo and signal him to stop asking their youngest son. Taeng on the hand wasn’t satisfied.

 

“Did this had anything to do with you coming back with someone else car’s 2 days ago Yul?”

 

“Taeng. Stop it.”

 

“But mom, Yuri..”

 

“He’s happy so let him. Stop asking question.”

 

Taeng pouted while Yuri fidgeting in his seat. He stood up and bowed towards his parents.

 

“Thank you for breakfast mom, dad. I’m going to school now.”

 

Taewoo nudged his older son and shot him a glare. Taeng rolled his eyes and stood up.

 

“I’m done too. Thanks for the food. Let’s go Yul.”

 

“But..I can go alone.”

 

“Yul, go with Taeng.”

 

Yuri didn’t have the heart to say no to his mother so he agreed. Plus his dad was giving him this look and Yuri agreed nonetheless.

 

“Okay.”

 

That was all he said and followed Taeng outside. The reason why he didn’t want to follow Taeng was because he didn’t want Taeng to question him even more. He got into his car and once inside, Taeng started driving away getting into the main road. Yuri kept looking at everything else rather than Taeng.

 

“Ow come on Yul. Spill it out. I’m your twin!”

 

There goes Taeng whining over the fact that Yuri hiding things from him. Yuri played with his strap bag. Taeng tried again.

 

“Who sent you home the other night? I never seen that car before.”

 

“It was Jessica.”

 

Taeng raised an eyebrow.

 

“Jessica Jung? The new transferred student?”

 

“Yeah..”

 

“Hey Yul, when are you going to introduce us together?”

 

Yuri looked up and saw Taeng grinning at him. Introduce them?

 

“You want to?”

 

“Why wouldn’t I? I heard people talking about her already and my twin befriend with her. So please Yul?”

 

“Yeah sure.”

 

“Okay then. I’ll see you at break time.”

 

Taeng was happy. Now he get to know about Jessica, the mysterious girl that befriend his twin. But he didn’t noticed the sad look on Yuri’s face. It was for a moment before his expression replaced with a force smile.

 

…..

 

“Hey Yul.”

 

Yuri face brighten up the moment Jessica came in and sat down next to him.

 

“Hi Sica.”

 

Jessica put away her stuffs and took out her book for the first period. She then focused back on Yuri. He was smiling. Not that she never saw him smiling but there’s something in that smile.

 

“Why are you smiling so much?”

 

Yuri blushed.

 

“I-I can’t smile?”

 

“You can Yul. I’m sorry. You just smiling way too wide.”

 

“Ah, it just…Ermm, Sica can I introduce you to Taeng?”

 

“You said that a few days ago too Yul but you didn’t.”

 

“I know but I’m serious this time. I want my friend to meet Taeng and get to know him. You know he’s like…”

 

“He’s your hero.”

 

Yuri grin.

 

“When will it be?”

 

“Lunch break.”

 

Jessica just nodded and watched as Yuri fist pumped happily earning others attention. He quickly looked away. Jessica just slap his shoulder in a playful way. Yuri pouted.

 

“Oh my god Yul. Don’t pout please. You’re too cute.”

 

“Sicaaaa….”

 

“Aish…”

 

Jessica pushed his face away from her. The two keep on playing with each other earning murmurs from others who might be envy or just plainly annoyed by the two. Mr Han came in and saw the two engrossed talking with each other. This is his first time watching Yuri had a friend that he can be comfortable with. He would have let them be but then he need to start the class.

 

“EHEM.”

 

Both Yuri and Jessica looked around and saw everyone were looking at them. Yuri face turned bright red and quickly get back to his book while Jessica looked at Mr Han and awkwardly smile. Mr Han smiled back.

 

“Let start class now.”

 

He did what he said and everyone attention goes back to him leaving Jessica and Yuri giggling with each other. Jessica nudged him on his waist.

 

“This is your fault Yul. You’re buying me lunch.”

 

Yuri nodded while still hiding his red face. They kept their voices low afraid that they might attracted people’s attention again. And just like that, they pay attention towards Mr Han or maybe just Jessica since Yuri secretly peeking at Jessica from time to time. It became his hobby ever since she came to his school and he’s liking his view.

 

…..

 

Yuri happily following Jessica from behind as the girl led them to the cafeteria. She’s randomly talking about anything that came to her mind while Yuri simply agree and smiling like an idiot. Well, he’s listening to her, it just that admiring her happy and smiling face making him happier.

 

“Even my sister said the same thing.”

 

“She did.” Yuri dreamily said earning a smack on the back from Jessica. He hissed a little but the smile is still on his face. Jessica stopping on her trance as she pinching both Yuri’s cheek.

 

“*&%*(*())*$$” Yuri mumbling incoherently resulting of how hard Jessica is pinching both his cheek. The girl can’t help but laughing at how cute Yuri is. She finally let go as Yuri rubbing his cheeks and pouts. He’s cute pose is so adorable that Jessica had to stop herself from giggling so much.

 

“Sica… It hurts.”

 

“Okay. I’m sorry. I’ll buy you lunch?”

 

Yuri happily nodding like a kid he is when she said that. She held his hand as she pulling him with her as they enter the cafeteria. Yuri is blushing so much when he look down at their intertwine fingers. When he look up he saw everyone looking at them. Jessica seems doesn’t care about all the stares but he is and it is making him uncomfortable. She senses it when she felt him tugging his hand back but she held tight not letting his hand go. She’s determine to help Yuri adjusting to his surrounding either bad or good. She knew how much he hates eating his lunch here. He always quickly buy some food and get out into the open field as fast as he could while avoiding everyone. She will not let him look down on himself anymore and help him overcome his problems. They finally stopping on one of the table as Jessica pushing Yuri down to sit down on one of the stool.

 

“Stay here while I’ll surprise you with a food.”

 

“O-Okay.” Yuri said as he keeps his head down. He purposely let his front facing the wall so that he can’t see other people. Jessica silently sighing but pats Yuri on the back as she quickly get them some food. Yuri can faintly hear some students whispering about his relationship with Jessica. Maybe they were curious and some probably couldn’t believe that he actually has a friend who wanted to be his friend.

 

“My Yul!” Yuri almost bumping his head on the table when Taeng jumping out of nowhere, throwing his arm around the shoulder and shouting as though he owned the area. Yuri looks up and you can see relief on his face as soon as Taeng is around. His hero is here. Taeng took out a sandwich from his jacket and gave it to Yuri.

 

“I was searching for you at the field. Thankfully I decided to come here. I bought you a sandwich. It’s chicken the way you like.” Yuri lips tugging into a wide smile as he unwraps it and bite on the sandwich. Taeng smile as he ruffling Yuri’s head. It was a surprise to be honest seeing his twin in here rather in a secluded area. But he’s thankful that he’s here and not being down being around people. Yuri is eating so fast that he almost chocking. Taeng shook his head as he take a box of Ribena and handed it over to Yuri.

 

“See, I even get you a ribena.”

 

Yuri quickly drink the content out as he’s desperate to force the food down his throat. He heaved in relief when he did. Taeng rubbing his back as he change seat to the left giving Yuri same space.

 

“Eat slowly you monkey. I’m here aren’t I?”

 

Yuri giggles as he continued eating. Having Taeng around ease of his insecurities. It also helps that the popular students won’t bother him as long as his twin brother is here. Taeng just smile as he keep his eyes on Yuri, watching over him like a brother should. He knows that some students aren’t comfortable with Yuri since he’s shy and all. He also knows that his teammates and friends didn’t like Yuri. That’s why no matter what happen, he will be there for him all the time. Yuri wasn’t just a brother to him. He was his number 1 fans. He remembered how sometimes his ex-girlfriend would ditch coming to watch him training, but Yuri never did. He never missed out any of his games. They practically carrying each other since they were kids. He leaned forward as he pat his little brother head.

 

“Yul?” Both Yuri and Taeng looked up and saw Jessica holding onto a tray of food. Taeyeon look stunned and Yuri saw it. He bite his bottom lips as Jessica sat down on the empty seat.

 

“I got you a burger. But I see you’re already eating.” Yuri didn’t react fast as Taeng grab the burger from Jessica’s tray and gave it to Yuri.

 

“He’s starving. Here you go Yul.” Yuri frowns as Taeng shoving the burger at him while giving him signals. He sighed as he take a bite from the burger while Jessica just watch the twin. Taeng glanced at Jessica.

 

“You’re the new girl right?”

 

“Yeah I’m the new girl. You must be Kwon Yuri’s twin.” Jessica replied as Taeng keep his cool.

 

“Kwon Taeng. Let me guess your name. Uhhh, Jung Jessica?”

 

Jessica had this skeptical look over Taeng innocent tone. Taeng did not just try her.

 

“I’m going to pretend as though you did guessing it right.” Jessica playfully making a quote gesturing emphasizing on the word guessing. Taeng grins as he shoving another box of ribena towards Yuri who obediently drinking it. Jessica take Yuri’s Ribena away and glaring at Taeng.

 

“Well thank you for pretending. I’m Kwon Taeng….” Taeng pull Yuri towards him almost again choking himself again.

 

“…this tan monkey twin. Hey, don’t bully my brother okay?” Taeng playfully warning Jessica. Yuri just looking at the both of them as they seems to be clicking well. He envied their reaction. From the corner of his eyes, Yuri saw Taecyeon and his friends looking at them. Yuri lightly kick Taeng on the shin stopping their conversation.

 

“What?” Yuri looked down on his food as he answered,

 

“Your friends are looking for you.” As soon as Yuri said that, Taeng glanced towards the way Yuri is looking earlier. He saw his friends with a frown on face. He sighed as he stood up and pat Yuri on the back.

 

“Don’t go home without me okay? And nice meeting you Jessica.”

 

“I see you when I see you.” Jessica said as Taeng left their table heading towards his friends. Yuri lightly tugging Jessica shirt earning her attention.

 

“C-Can we go now?”

 

Jessica can sense that Taeng’s friends were probably glaring at Yuri and making him uncomfortable. Why can’t they just accept Yuri the way the accepting Taeng? She’s going to get to the bottom of this.

 

“Okay if you say so.” The smile is back on Yuri’s face when he heard her answer. Anywhere is fine as long as he’s away from his twin’s friend. They never really like him since his first day in school. If it wasn’t because of Taeyeon, he for sure would be a victim of bullying.

 

…..

 

My coach is crazy. We’re not even finish the session. Sorry Yul.

 

Yuri read the text twice as he understood that Taeyeon have commitments that he need to attend first. He replied.

 

It’s okay. See you at home.

 

Yuri quickly send the text and keep his phone on silent. He knew Taeng would call him and ask him to wait until his training ended. Yuri rather not do that. Not when Taeng’s friends area around. He didn’t want Taeng to get into trouble for him. He’s used to it. Yuri slowly taking his time making his way towards the front gate as he let the silence around him sooth his mind and heart. Thinking of Taeng reminding him of Jessica and Taeng short conversation during lunch. They seems comfortable talking with each other. Yuri is kind of curious of Jessica guy preferences? Is it someone like Taeng? Maybe.

 

“Kwon Yuri!” Yuri stop walking and turn around. His lips tugging into a childish grin as he saw Jessica waving at him as he waits for her. She’s finally in front of him.

 

“I thought you’re going to attend the softball tryouts?”

 

“I did but they accepted me as soon as they saw me. Maybe it’s my luck?”

 

Yuri chuckled as the two of them started walking towards Jessica’s car. It would be impolite of him if he didn’t Jessica to her car.

 

“You’re a great softball player in your old school. I’m sure Coach Jin already knew it.”

 

“Maybe.” Jessica shrugging it off as she takes out her car keys and unlock the door. Yuri just stood there waiting for Jessica to get in. the girl raised an eyebrow towards him.

 

“Why are you still standing Yul? Get in.”

 

“Uhhh…” Yuri felt shy and quickly shaking his head. He felt like walking today. Jessica frowns as she pulling Yuri towards her almost making him landing on top of her. He gulped hard. Jessica is practically grabbing the collar of his shirt and sending deadly glare.

 

“GET IN. NOW. DON’T MAKE ME SAY IT AGAIN.” It was clear to him that she meant it. He shivered as he quickly pulled away and dash towards the passenger door and gets in. Yuri closed the door and looked down on his lap as he’s playing with his fingers. Jessica started her car and drove away with Yuri looking timid in her car. Jessica would glanced towards the guy next to her from time to time as she can’t help but smile watching Yuri getting all shy. This is her first time actually knowing a guy as Yuri. She’s quite sure he’s unique.

 

“Yul, can I ask you something?”

 

Yuri slightly turn his head towards Jessica direction on his right.

 

“Okay.”

 

“Are you and Taeng always this close? I mean I saw how Taeng treating you today.”

 

Yuri face brighten up as Jessica mentioning Taeng’s name. People would be mistaken them as a gay couple but Taeng said it’s normal between siblings. They are each other bestfriends.

 

“We are. He’s my favorite person in the whole world after my parents.”

 

“Really? I’m officially envy you for having him as a brother.” Yuri ears perked up as he misunderstood what Jessica just said. He misinterpreted it for something else.

 

“You like Taeng?” He carefully ask not wanting to get his hopes crush.

 

“He’s a nice guy. I can see that.” Yuri bites the inside of his cheeks as he didn’t like it when Jessica try not to avoid giving him a direct answer. But he won’t push it. What are the odds that Jessica and Taeng can really connect in just one short conversation? Unlikely.

 

“Another question?”

 

Yuri slowly nodding his head. They are still far from home so why not?

 

“I saw the way Taeng’s friends looking at you.”

 

Yuri felt his heart beating hard. He swore not to tell anyone about this. Taeng didn’t even know it himself.

 

“Uh.. T-They’re just like that. Forget it.”

 

“Yul. Mind telling me?”

 

Yuri unconsciously tapping his foot and biting his fingernail. That is a sigh of a restless guy. He’s keeping secrets and Jessica is sure no one else know about it. She placed her palm on his thigh earning the tan guy attention.

 

“Please?”

 

“No…I…” Lucky Yuri, he can see his house now.

 

“Stop. Please stop.” Yuri looks so restless that Jessica pull over. Yuri quickly climbing out of her car and bow towards her.

 

“I’m sorry! Thank you for the ride!” Yuri didn’t even let Jessica answered as he runs back to his house. He didn’t even look behind for once. That left a great impression towards Jessica. Something is wrong with Yuri. But what is it?