Chapter 16

Laughing the Nighttime into Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
XVI

One of the first new things Eunhyuk had to learn about Donghae was that he didn’t own many things; he actually only owned an old and partly torn bag with a few pieces of just as old and worn clothes inside, nothing personal. Eunhyuk knew because he had offered to help him putting his clothes into his wardrobe; it had been the first thought to cross his mind after a ride so silent that it had made his hands all clammy. Donghae hadn’t said a single word, was mute ever since Eunhyuk had started the engine of his car. Now and then he nodded his head or hummed, but there was this huge amount of sadness plastered to his face that Eunhyuk couldn’t brush away, no matter how many useless jokes he cracked.

"Donghae, did something happen?" he asked eventually, a black hoodie still in his hands.

The brunet was gnawing on his bottom lip, didn’t look up to him as he answered. "I’m really tired…"

"Oh, sure!" Eunhyuk's gaze quickly darted to the side. It was early in the morning and Donghae had been up all night long, of course he was tired. "You can go to bed if you want."

Donghae hummed quietly. "Thank you, Hyukkie."

Eunhyuk blinked his eyes a couple of times. "For what? I mean, I didn’t do anything special-"

"Everything", Donghae simply stated and it left Eunhyuk dumbfounded as the brunet disappeared in the bathroom.

Eunhyuk felt like he had to apologize for causing him so much trouble and now Donghae was thanking him? Sure, bringing him home with him and offering him to live in his apartment was a nice move; Donghae didn’t have to work anymore. This would cause new trouble soon, however, because there was no way that Donghae was allowed to leave just like that. Right in that moment it was nice – and he could only hope that it would stay like this. Still there was this horrendous feeling spreading in the pit of his stomach when Eunhyuk thought about all the things that could go wrong. What they did was more than just dangerous. It was straight down suicidal.

He finished unpacking Donghae's clothes and neatly put his bag on top of the wardrobe. Faintly he could hear water running behind the closed bathroom door and it took Donghae quite long to come back so Eunhyuk changed into his sleeping clothes, pulled out underwear, a shirt and some sweatpants for Donghae before he made himself comfortable on the bed. He couldn’t tell what made him so nervous that he couldn’t keep his feet still; maybe it was Donghae's strange behavior. Well, it surely was his behavior. Donghae was supposed to be happy, just like he had been happy before arriving at the club earlier. Instead he looked incredibly sad, so much that Eunhyuk just wanted to pull him into his arms and never let him go again. Yet he was afraid to do so because he was scared to do something wrong again. Sending Donghae away back then or rather running away from him had been a mistake, probably his biggest one so far. Kidnapping him from the club couldn’t be much better, but at least they were together. And Eunhyuk was determined to make everything better from now on.

The door clicked open and it wasn’t much later that Donghae emerged from the hallway, stark and uncaring as usual. Eunhyuk quickly averted his gaze and Donghae put on the clothes he had picked for him before joining him on the bed. His cheeks felt quite hot so Eunhyuk was sure that they were burning red by then but Donghae didn’t make any comment. He just pulled the blanket up to his chin and placed his cheek on Eunhyuk's chest, listened to his heartbeat in the otherwise silent room. Eunhyuk brought a hand up to brush it through Donghae's hair that was still a bit damp from his previous shower.

"Goodnight, Hyukkie."

Eunhyuk caressed his scalp and was slightly disappointed that he couldn’t see the other's face in their current position. He hummed. "Goodnight, Donghae."

***

While Eunhyuk was caught in his dreams, Donghae was wide awake.          
It was still dark outside, the apartment only illuminated by the moonlight falling through the huge windows. Eunhyuk's soft snores were the only sound audible and yet there was something that made Donghae look up. He lifted his head from Eunhyuk's chest and looked towards the open door. For a while he kept staring into the darkness before he saw something, someone.

Donghae gently lifted the covers and swung his legs out of bed. He got up and left the bedroom as silently as he could, his feet padding on the wooden floor. Donghae disappeared without turning on any lights, was completely soundless and yet it wasn’t only the lack of his warmth that made Eunhyuk wake up not much later.

It was hearing him talk.

Eunhyuk eyes fluttered open and that Donghae wasn’t next to him was the first thing he noticed. The second thing was his low voice sounding from the living room, only then he became aware of the fact that it was still pitch black in his bedroom. He frowned and rubbed his hand over his sleepy eyes. It was hard to understand what Donghae was saying; he was nearly whispering, only single syllables reached his ears now and then. Yet the fact that Donghae was indeed talking to someone was enough to push any sleep out of his system. There couldn’t be anyone else in this apartment so maybe he was calling with someone? Maybe Heechul?

Perhaps he shouldn’t eavesdrop like that; he should just turn onto his other side and continue sleeping. It were his worries that made him sit up in bed not much later though and soon he was slowly walking through his apartment, kept everything in the dark because the moonlight was bride enough for him to see. He found Donghae in the living room; he was standing in the middle of the room with his back turned towards him. Donghae's arms were at his sides, hands empty and no phone in sight. Eunhyuk peeked over the other's shoulder and didn’t see anyone. Yet it looked like Donghae was listening to someone, so caught that he didn’t even notice Eunhyuk's presence.

"Donghae?" Eunhyuk asked just above a whisper and thought that his voice would scare him maybe; Donghae didn’t even flinch. Eunhyuk stepped closer, but there was no one in the room except for the both of them. Perhaps Donghae hadn't heard him. "What are you doing?" he asked therefore, a bit louder.

The younger very slowly turned his head towards him and looked over his shoulder, seemingly taking a lot of effort to tear his gaze away from the wall. His eyes were filled with even more sadness than before and Eunhyuk was almost afraid of the answer. "Saying goodbye", he answered lowly.

A deep frown appeared on Eunhyuk's forehead. "To whom?"

Donghae turned his head back and his gaze was once again glued to the wall. It stayed silent around them for a while and Eunhyuk started thinking that this was a dream. One of those weird ones that leave you wondering for minutes after waking up. He was just about to pinch the back of his hand as Donghae answered.

"To my hyung."

His words made Eunhyuk's frown deepen even more, deep creases forming on his forehead. Donghae didn’t look at him. "Heechul-hyung?" he asked because this was the only person he could think of. Donghae nodded his head and Eunhyuk's gaze once again flew across the room. He was tempted to turn on the lights, to surround the coffee table to make sure that Heechul wasn’t hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter