First Mistake.

Artificial Love.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yifan doesn’t know how long they’re going to go with the awkwardness between them. It’s truly suffocating. The butler from his father’s mansion hasn’t given the keys for the other rooms yet again after the pair had a tour around their house. He and his wife has been sleeping on the same bed for almost a week now. They’re going to see his mother tomorrow. Yifan can’t wait to see her. He misses her very badly.

 

He wishes to have a big hug from her soon. Now, he needs to focus for the upcoming speech. He takes a glance of his wife from his side and sees her talking with her friend, Jisoo. A crease forms on his forehead. Both of them have been talking ever since the guy sat next to her after Junhee’s parents have gone to the stage. What are they talking about anyway? “And now, I will like to invite the newly appointed Director of Peach Hotel’s up to the stage.” Applause surrounds the huge decorated hall.

 

His wife wishes him all the best just after he stands up from the VVIP seat. Yifan thanks her with a quick smile albeit being slightly surprised. Junhee stares at her husband from afar, countless thoughts running in her head. He isn’t sick anymore, she’s really glad about that. The first week of their marriage have gone quickly with constant awkwardness. The pair has been trying to break it but it’s still there, evident every time whenever both are alone.

 

Especially when they go to sleep. She has spammed her mother with text messages just after their first day as newlyweds, scolding her mother about her sneaky doings. Junhee unknowingly sighs as she remembers the simple ‘You’ll get used to it’ reply she received from her mother. She decides to forget about it. So she inhales deeply to calm her thoughts before gazing at her husband who’s giving his speech.

 

“How’s he treating you?”

 

Jisoo’s question pulls her out from her slow thoughts. “He’s great,” It takes a while for Junhee to notice what she actually said, “I mean, okay. He’s okay. We’re still horribly awkward.” Jisoo makes a face, as if he knows that already, “You’re terribly awkward with people who you just met. You really had to marry him because of your father, didn’t you?” Junhee rolls her eyes as he brings up that certain topic again.

 

“You don’t have to ask that if you know it already,” She mutters somewhat snappily, gazing mindlessly at the tall man on the stage with a blank face. Jisoo stares at her, his expression turning softer as he casually takes her hand before questioning without missing a beat, “Did you cry?” Junhee’s eyes grows wide as she blinks thrice. She yanks her hand away before she strongly denies, “What nonsense are you asking? Of course I didn’t cry—”

 

“Will you come up to stage please, Mrs Wu?”

 

All eyes are on her as she stays still for a few seconds. If it isn’t because of Jisoo’s little push on her back, she still would have been sitting, stunned by the host’s sudden call. A small smile is plastered on her lips once she awkwardly stands next to her tall husband, giving a slight bow to her parents. Yifan’s parents aren’t able to attend his inauguration because they had to attend their close relative daughter’s wedding.

 

Yifan deems the inauguration has come to an end as he can spot few attendees leaving the hall after bidding their goodbyes to his in-laws. “Going anywhere after this?” Yifan nearly gasps by his mother-in-law’s unpredicted appearance but he manages to contain his surprise, “We’re heading straight home, Mother.” Madam Kim makes a face, as if she disapproves. Yifan is confused by it.

 

“Haven’t you thought of celebrating your one-week marriage with Junhee? Special dinner, perhaps?”

 

Yifan resists to scratch the sudden itch on his chin as he answers, “I don’t think Junhee would want to have dinner…” His mother-in-law sighs. He assumes that the elder woman is going to give him an earful but no, she doesn’t. “Her father’s condition is getting worse… I told him not to come today but he’s so stubborn.” Yifan searches for Mr Kim and there he is with a group of former HODs.

 

He then returns his gaze towards Madam Kim, “What’s wrong with him?” She looks like she’s going to cry so Yifan ushers her to sit first. “It’s nothing serious,” Kyurin politely declines her son-in-law’s offer considering it’s time to head home anyway, “I’ll tell you about it next time, okay?” Yifan looks so disappointed until she can’t help but to coo at him, “Don’t be sad, dear. We’ll definitely meet again soon. You better take her home now.”

 

She tenderly pats his cheek twice before taking her leave with her tired-looking husband. Yifan wonders why her voice sounded so grim. His thoughts are answered once his eyes lands on Junhee who’s talking to a very happy-looking Jisoo. Taking long strides towards the pair without looking at anyone, he gently curls his fingers around Junhee’s wrist before pulling her to his side a little, causing them to pause on whatever they’re talking about.

 

“It’s time to go home,” Yifan informs her once he spots her questioning gaze. “Aww come on, hyung!~” Jisoo whines out loud much to Yifan’s surprise. Another thing to add to his dislike list. “It’s still early. Can you let us talk some more?” Yifan almost says no. His biggest mistake is looking at Junhee’s pleading eyes. He excuses himself from them with a very gloomy face. Yifan stops a waiter who passes by to take a drink from the tray.

 

“Anything else, sir?”

 

He shakes his head as a reply before not forgetting to thank him. “Hey, boss.” He turns around to the familiar voice and spots a smiley Bogum. “Hey. Why aren’t you heading home yet?” His secretary shrugs his shoulders taking a look around the hall and his gaze eventually lands on Joohyun (Yifan totally notices this) before he looks back to the other, “Just lazing out, I guess? Oh by the way, boss. I’ve got something to tell you but it isn’t good… Do you want to hear it?” Yifan nods, taking a sip of his drink.

 

“Joohyun, I mean, Mrs Wu’s secretary told me that the department kind of don’t like you…”

 

“They don’t like me when I didn’t even do anything?”

 

Yifan questions with a slightly quirked brow, amused by this piece of information. Bogum can’t read the latter’s facial expression but he continues, “Because before you were confirmed to be the next director, every one of them were candidates for the position. Plus, they haven’t met you even once so they kind of, you know, disagree for you to take the position…” Deep down, a buble of laughter almost erupts out of Yifan.

 

If he knows they will be this childlike, Yifan wouldn’t have taken the position in the first place. “Thanks for telling me,” He pats on his secretary’s back before telling him to enjoy himself. Bogum bows his head before telling him to take care of his wellbeing. Then, he excuses himself politely. Yifan, from the corner of his eyes, sees him heading straight to Junhee’s secretary. He then witnesses the both of them smiling to each other as they converse about something only they know.

 

He looks away when they head over to a secluded corner. He doesn’t need to know what happens next. Yifan patiently waits. He waits and waits. It’s been half an hour. Jisoo and Junhee are still talking, the hall emptying every five minutes. What are they talking about? Is it so important? But why do their faces look so happy? He checks his wristwatch and widens his eyes. It’s been more than an hour. He can’t wait any longer as he suddenly remembers Madam Kim’s scowl.

 

“Junhee,” He musters the friendliest face in front of Jisoo once he’s next to her side, “Time to go home—” “But we’re not done yet,” Jisoo interrupts with a whine much to his dismay. “It’s almost eleven,” He raises a brow towards the man. “Just a few minutes—” “We need to go home, Junhee.” Taken aback after being cut off midsentence, Junhee stares at her husband in disbelief. She tries again, “I said just a few minutes—”

 

“It’s getting late. What are you both talking about anyway?”

 

Junhee frowns deeply by Yifan’s snappy tone. “I, uh, I’ll take my leave, then. Bye, Junhee!” Jisoo flees away, leaving the married couple awkward, or so he thoguht. The air between them is awfully tight and is floating with evident tension. Junhee leaves the hall abruptly without even informing him. Yifan follows afte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter