First Face-Off.

Artificial Love.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yifan stops the car right in front of a modern white-coloured house. It looks like he’s going to enter a prince’s palace. He doesn’t have time to ogle at the premise as Junhee is already going inside by the help of a maid. Yifan follows her after giving a slight bow to the helper. “Jongin!” He hears her calling out for her sibling. Yifan’s eyes go slightly wide at the sight. Jongin is on the floor at the kitchen, lying flat on his back motionlessly.

 

His hand is wrapped in a bandage and there are pieces of scattered glass beside him. Junhee kneels next to his side, hovering her face over her younger brother’s. She then sends a questioning look to the maid. “He didn’t want to move so I had no choice but to leave him there…” Junhee gives the maid a small smile with a thank you before hovering over the younger man’s face once again, patting on his cheek lightly, “Jongin, wake up. Wake up now.”

 

Yifan doesn’t know what to do after he stands next to her so he searches for the broom to sweep the shattered glass away (even after the maid protests) so that Junhee won’t get hurt later. After he returns to his wife’s side, he hears a whine from Jongin who calls out his sister’s name. His eyes searches for the maid but she’s nowhere to be found. He decides to focus on the siblings instead since he has nowhere else to go.

 

“Jongin, what happened? Why were you drinking? How come you hurt yourself?”

 

The still drunk male, Yifan assumes based on the younger male’s silly grin, shakes his head as he replies, his words kind of slurring, “You worry ‘bout me, noona… ?” Junhee heaves out a sigh as she sits closer to her younger brother, “Of course I do, silly. What happened?” She glances around, ignoring Yifan’s presence for a while before looking back at Jongin with a pointed look, “Where’s Kyungsu and Taerin?”

 

Upon hearing the question, the drunk male’s eyes fill up with water almost instantly before he faces Junhee, clutching the hem of his sister’s shirt with his injured hand. “Jongin?” Junhee is still waiting for his answer. “I’m such a bad person, aren’t I, noona… ?” She’s becoming deadly worried now. Yifan, too, somehow becomes apprehensive. He sits opposite to Junhee, wanting to know what happened.

 

Junhee still ignores her husband as she takes Jongin’s injured hand into her hold, knowing he needs attention, “You’re not, Nini. Can you tell me what happened, hm?” A drunk Jongin is sometimes steady, truthful and obedient but sometimes loud, tearful and aggressive. Today, it seems like he’s all of them. “You’ll hate me!” He retrieves his hand before hovering both of his palms over his head, curling up into a ball as he sobs loudly.

 

Junhee lifts her gaze to her husband, catching the look of concern in his eyes before she returns her focus to her younger brother. Jongin must have done something until he’s this wasted. “Jongin, I’m here for you. Let’s go somewhere else—” “Soojung…” Junhee freezes once she hears the name. “I miss her, noona… I miss her so, so much…” An uneasy feeling settles upon Junhee. It looks like her face shows it until Yifan notices it.

 

“Do you think you can carry him?”

 

Yifan nods twice by her question. He can do this easily. Well, not until he actually carries the younger man, supporting Jongin with an arm thrown around his body. His wife gets to the other side of the drunk male to help him and together, they head upstairs to, Yifan assumes, Jongin’s bedroom. Once they carefully manoeuvre the male onto the bed, Yifan helps Junhee to flip Jongin’s body because goodness, he’s so heavy.

 

“Noona…”

 

“Yeah?”

 

She sits on the bed, caressing her younger brother’s hair with affection. Yifan never knew the feeling of having a sibling so he awkwardly stands there, watching them both. “She came by, noona…” Junhee stops patting his head in an instant, “What?” Jongin sobs once again, holding onto her hand tightly, staring into her eyes through his glassy orbs, “Soojung came by two weeks ago… She said— She said she missed me and I— I told her the same—”

 

His breathings are becoming laboured so Junhee pats on his chest, not wanting him to choke himself by his tears, “Jonginnie—” “I swear I didn’t mean to!” Jongin exclaims too loudly before she can say anything, water gushing out from his eyes, “She wanted— She wanted us, noona. She wanted us to get back together… I… But Kyungsu… She saw us… Sh-She saw us k-ki-kissing,” He continues to sob, clutching onto his sister’s blouse firmly.

 

Yifan watches how his wife’s visage changes something akin to anger before it changes into sympathy. “What happened next?” She continues patting his hair as if she hasn’t heard anything crucial for her younger brother’s marriage to crumble. Yifan continues watching and listening with silence. “You should be angry at me, noona! I’m,” Jongin sniffles, hitting himself with his wounded hand, “I’m such a terrible person!”

 

“Jongin, stop,” Junhee tries catching his hand but fails miserably. Yifan helps her by easily locking both of Jongin’s wrists before placing them onto the young man’s torso. The drunk male peers next to his side and he lets out a pathetic chuckle, “Now he knows how terrible I am… Great… Wait till Mom or Dad hear about this—” “I won’t tell a single soul,” Yifan finds himself spluttering before he can stop himself.

 

He brings his vision up to Junhee who’s staring at him with an unreadable look, the look which sends a chill down to his spine. Once it’s gone, he breathes out a silent sigh of relief. “We won’t tell anyone, Jongin. Can you tell me what happened next?” Thankfully, Yifan still has a strong hold on Jongin or else Junhee is very certain her younger brother would have hit his head multiple times by now based on how he’s struggling to free himself as he tells them.

 

“Kyungsu… ?”

 

He and his ex girlfriend fixes their eyes on the other woman who has unknowingly interrupted their kiss. Jongin’s whole being shakes as his wife sends him a sweet smile with a hint of unspoken rage in her eyes. Not only that, she’s heading towards their way very casually. Soojung takes a step closer next to him, clutching onto his shirt as the other woman doesn’t spare her a single glance as she keeps her gaze locked on her husband.

 

“Now I know why it’s hard to approach you,” Kyungsu sends him another smile before she brings her vision to the lady next to his side, “It’s nice to meet you.” Both of them look at each other as Kyungsu gives them a bow. “Kyungsu, li-listen—” “Let me finish,” She cuts him off before letting out a small smile to Soojung’s way, “You can be here, if that’s what you’re thinking.” Soojung swallows the lump in until all of them can hear her.

 

Jongin doesn’t know what his wife is up to. It’s terrifying, seeing her all smiley like because she’s never been like this before. Their marriage itself wasn’t a good start. “I want you to choose, Jongin.” Said man gulps this time as Kyungsu’s smile drops from her round face. Choose? Choose what? Her or Soojung? Jongin doesn’t even realize that he’s silent for almost two minutes already and he’s still unable to voice out his answer.

 

“I see,” Kyungsu tightens her grip around the grocery bags, sending a quick smile to Soojung who avoids her stare in response. His wife passes by them, heading into the house without saying anything else. “Jongin?” He’s back into reality once he feels his shirt being grasped. Frowning, he turns away from his ex girlfriend. “Jongin, wait,” She holds onto his hand, her voice pleading, eyes misting with unshed tears.

 

Jongin doesn’t turn around but looks at her by his shoulder, “What?” He can hear her sniffling and he just wants to wrap her into his embrace but no, he won’t. “Will you call me… ?” Jongin visibly flinches by her small weak tone. He faces away from her, getting rid of her hand gently before hesitantly telling her, “I will. Just… Just go.” Soojung smiles with happiness. She comes forward and leaves a quick peck on his cheek before fleeing away.

 

“Kyungsu—”

 

Jongin stops after he reaches their bedroom. The sight of Kyungsu packing her clothes causes something inside of him to rip apart. Not only that, there’s their daughter, Taerin, sleeping on their bed. Another part of him feels his soul tearing from his body. There’s no way, right… ? “I’m going to continue my job,” She informs simply without looking at his face, her expression all tensed-free as if she hasn’t witnessed anything earlier.

 

“Yo-You can’t,” He finds himself opposing, his mind going haywire, supporting himself with a hand pressing against the doorframe. There’s no way she’s going to leave, right… ? “Why not?” His wife singsongs as she picks a black ruffle blouse before folding it with a smile on her face. Jongin can’t stand seeing that smile anymore. He strides towards her, snatching her wrist harshly until her folded clothes fall on the floor from her lap, “Why are you being like this?”

 

“Ask yourself,” She sends a sweet smile at him before carefully peeling his hand away. Jongin stumbles on his buttocks, feeling like he’s been slapped just by her statement. “I’m not going to tell you where I’m going to stay so don’t bother looking for me,” She tells him after she’s done packing, their daughter still peacefully asleep, not knowing a thing that her parents’ relationship is collapsing drastically.

 

Jongin, still on the floor, is unable to word out an answer. He wants her to stay, wants to tell her that he’s in love with her, wants to hold her and kiss her after he has confessed. He has everything planned tonight but when he spots Soojung at the front of his house, his mind totally went blank. Past memories spent with her overshadowed his feelings for Kyungsu within a second by the time Soojung hugged him tight after he opened the gates.

 

“I’m a bad person… I’m sorry, Kyungsu…”

 

Junhee sighs heavily as she continues to pat her younger brother’s tousled hair. Yifan unhurriedly frees the male and once he does, he takes his sister’s hand before sobbing next to it, mumbling apologies. “I think I’ll stay here to watch over him,” Junhee informs without looking at her husband. Yifan isn’t surprised. It’s safer for Jongin so that the male won’t do anything else to harm himself further in his drunk state.

 

“I’ll stay here too,” He blinks twice after his wife sends him that look again, “Not here but at the guest room?” Yifan gets to his feet too quickly so he doesn’t notice the eye roll from Junhee. “Does he hate me? He hates me, right? I’m sure he hates me…” Junhee sighs, not even bothering to comfort her brother because she knows he will cry again. She lets him to say whatever he wants as she continues patting here and there, staying by his side.

 

Yifan heads down to ogle at the modern design of the house. “What would you like to drink, Master Wu?” He nearly jumps by the soft voice greeting behind him. Yifan swivels around and sends the maid a brief smile before shaking his head, not forgetting to say thank you. “Ah, we’re staying here for the night. Can you help me show the way to the guest room, please?” The maid bows before telling her to follow him.

 

The guest roo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter