Salty, Spicy, with a touch of Iron(y)

Stranger Affections
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Why on this night, of all nights, did Sungmin have to be out for a schedule? That was the question for the night as Ryeowook stirred the stew in front of him, trying his hardest to ignore the happy shouts and whoops coming from the living room. Kyuhyun had invited his “Kyuline” over to play video games with Eunhae accompanying them, and since Leeteuk and Kangin had also come home a while ago, all grumpy and hungry, Ryeowook was stuck in kitchen duty to keep everyone happy. Usually he would have obliged happily, but an hour ago he was totally ready to fling his spatula across the room and run into the night.

 

It all had started a few weeks ago, after that stupid dressing room incident. The worst thing was that Ryeowook still wasn’t sure what he had done wrong. All he knew was that Kyuhyun had suddenly exploded at him, which had led to a fortnight’s torment.

As he sat in the leather chair to be fussed over by the hair and makeup stylists, Ryeowook took a glance at Kyuhyun’s direction. The younger man was playing with his phone, not even bothering to notice his existence.

 

‘Hasn’t he said it to you enough times, Wookie? Hasn’t he made it clear that it’s all just fanservice to him? You are a friend. Nothing more.

So you should just give up.’

 

Sadly for Ryeowook, one’s heart doesn’t give up so easily, and although he was able to shake off thoughts of Kyuhyun from his mind momentarily by engaging himself in a conversation with the coordi-noonas, the familiar twinge of pain in his chest persisted.

 

The way he saw it at that moment… there was no way out for him. Unless he found someone else, who would somehow be better than Kyuhyun…

 

But that wasn’t going to happen, now was it?

 

Sighing a bit Ryeowook pulled himself out of his thoughts and focused his energy into talking to the coordi-noonas for a change. It was always rather fun, being pampered by the work staff around them. Most of them had him figured out already, so they didn’t mean anything more with their constant cooing and flirting. And he had to admit, someone playing with his hair or rubbing his shoulders was in no way unpleasant.

 

One person seemed to object though.

 

“"Fine! And continue being a manwhore while I play with my phone!"

 

And after that, Ryeowook’s own personal little hell started.

 

He knew Kyuhyun was called the Evil Maknae for a reason, but he had never, never, been as cruel to him as the night after their fight in the dressing room. Ryeowook had been ready to put it behind them, no matter how much Kyu’s overreacting hurt (and after all, hadn’t Ryeowook been childish as well?), but instead of meeting him half-way and trying to apologize, Kyuhyun had taken the time and effort to bully and annoy him as much as he could. Even later, when things had cooled down a bit, Kyuhyun could have apologized, could have made up for all the undeserved he made Ryeowook go through, but everytime they were alone, Kyuhyun would just shut himself off from the world, avoiding Ryeowook’s gaze like the plague.

 

Ryeowook glared a bit harder at the stew he was making and contemplated for a while pouring half a salt shaker into the pot, but since only Kyuhyun was responsible for his current demise, he didn’t want to anger the others, especially his hungry hyungs. Well, maybe Changmin deserved some of his ire as well. Because where the hell would Kyuhyun have gotten that idea to bully him like that?

 

Unless…

 

No.

 

The idea of Kyuhyun stalking around a forum established by Tumblr users of all places was a ridiculous one. He was the one causing trouble in relationships, not having them himself.

“If only you knew how much you hurt me,” Ryeowook mumbled at his stew, feeling his eyes glazing over. Goddamnit. Hadn’t he cried enough lately already?

 

“What has the stew done to you Ryeonggu? Tell me and I’ll beat it up for you!”

 

Ryeowook almost knocked the pot over as he heard a voice coming from right next to him. As he turned around, he saw Heechul smiling innocently at him, smelling of crisp winter air and at least five different hair products.

 

“Hyung! Don’t scare me like that! I thought you were supposed to eat with your film crew today?” Ryeowook exclaimed as Heechul bend over the pot and took a deep breath.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter