Unlikely

It Takes A Man and A Woman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Well, yes, but unlikely is not impossible.

 

She takes another sip of her coffee while keep staring to the outside of window. The snow is falling quite heavily, she rises up from her seat then tilted her head to get some better sight of those flying little snow which fall from the sky. She frowns slightly at her own reflection on the huge glass window, feeling strange to have a good look on her ownself for the first time in a long time, as if the girl in reflection was just a complete stranger.

The girl takes another deep breathe as she shifts her attention to the street and how people flooded it everywhere far below, somehow looks cute, they are just seems so small, like figure players of board game which she used to play a lot when she was small, except these people looked significantly rounder due to layers of thick clothes they put on theirself.

“Your order is here, Agassi.” Someone suddenly interrupted her solitude, the someone was an old ajumma who brought her orders; a plate of leeks pancake, a bowl of special tteokbokki (with ramyeon and boiled egg), fried chicken with a lot of ketchup and other dishes—all in big servings.

Ajumma breaks into a smile after put down everything she brought, “Are you going to have this all by yourself?” she asked lightly, pure curiousity along with a bit of worry noticed on her words, who won’t anyway, how on earth this ordinary small girl can finished all of the dishes alone. No matter how hungry she felt.

But looks like ajumma is worried for nothing, since what she got then was just a sparkly eyes whose filled up with confidence along with an eager nod, “Ne, I am going to have a party tonight, Ajumma. Food party.” She confidently says out loud her plan, then after a beat, she adds playfully, “alone,” which made the latter chuckle softly but nod weakly before walked out after wished the young girl a happy new year.

After the ajumma gone, the girl sit back demurely on her chair, with foods filled up every space of wood table in front of her, she puts together her hands in front of her chest, solemnly prays a thank you to the God. This is her newest habit, she picked it not too long ago from someone she accidentally saw on TV, a little boy from faraway land whose country is in the middle of war, who busied fed up his little baby sister with only a handfull of rice and nothing else. Well, what she had tonight was definitely over, since she ordered more than what she can actually finished, and she were bound to make lots of leftover. Yet, she really needs to make tonight as an exception, because tomorrow is already a new year, and to have a great year ahead, she believes that one needs to both resolve their old grudge and reward theirself. And food was always her personal best way-out.

This year was most of things for her and people around her, was happy and sad, tiresome and enjoyable, both downroad and uproad, and also starter of some whole new things which she had better prepare herself to manages them well in the future. And to found this place while randomly enjoying her late night driving was another blessing, since she finally can spends her money on every foods she usually only drool herself into, revenge on her strict diet, whatever with tomorrow, whatever with bloating cheeks, none witnessing anyway.

“You will get pretty bad indigestion later, Agassi.”

Jung Eunji almost choked on her ramyeon when someone suddenly appear out of nowhere and invited himself to sit on the empty chair in front of her, she mumbled an in-audible curse without bother checking the guy—busily gulped down water to ease her cough, after that she finally lifts up her head ready to both complained about how rude his behavior was—to invited himself in front of a stranger and to literally send him away. Yes, those were her real intentions, she was sure that she can handle the situation to her benefit, but the sight of this stranger successfully flipped her mind completely. He was no stranger, of course no, because the girl recognized him. Her mom definitely recognized him too, well, to be honest, most of people in Korea must know this man. That’s how famous he is, simply.

“Excuse me, Agassi, why are you so surprised?” he waved his hand to her face lightly, with amused looks like she was being silly to his eyes.

That voice of him which she has heard when watched Assasination last year finally wake the girl up, she stumbled and has her feet bumped to the desk before can completely stand on her own, still with blank look filled her pale face, “An-Annyeong-haseyo, eng.. Sunbae-nim?” she scratched her hair anxiously, half glad that she found her voice back, and half annoyed for not expecting to lose her composure this easily. She is literally struggle with words. What on earth! Jung Eunji is eloquent.

Her new companion unexpectedly broke a little laugh, his deep voice bring somehow a good melody to her ear, it was really just so nice to heard of, “Aren’t you Jung Eunji-nim?” he pushed back his seat, try to adjust better his long leg.

His question threw back her newly gathered sense, and resulting another long look of him on her part, “How come Sunbae-nim knows my name?” the girl expectedly asked him the most obvious thing at the moment, because normal that she found it strange for him to knew her. It was not literally overacting, even when she knew that she was quite famous, the girl admits perfectly that she was yet still far from Suzy’s level. Its only right for her to expected him not know her, because she simply doesn’t think herself being one who will easily recognized by anyone, include anyone super-famous like him.

“Ajumma told me that someone named Jung Eunji was here, and that she was a singer,” he explained with ease, which earned another frown from her side, he noticed it too since he continues later, “I am just a regular here, and she didn’t tell me how she knew you.” The man shifts his eyes to ramyeon on her tteokbokki bowl which still left pretty much, “your noodle is all soggy, Agassi.” Said him while flashing a pleasant smile. The very smile she rarely saw. Yes, rarely, because the guy was just hard to be found except on press conference, movie premiere and other movie related events. Most of big screen protagonists were somehow alike, loved being away from showbiz. So seeing that rare smile is kinda stunned her but not because it was so dazzling or breath-taking.

“Can I have a bite of this pancake?” asked him later while Eunji is still busy blankly staring at his presence, which somehow looks funny to him.

*

 

“Hopefully sky, rite?” the man answered easily resulting another surprised look from her, “I’ve told you, I was fan of that song.” He beams proudly as he croseed his leg, clearly becoming more and more comfortable. And she found this just simply hilarious, both him and herself, she can’t found any explanation either on why she is easily let down any of her guard now, not feel anxious and awkward again even though her head keep reminding her that this man was not an ordinary guy, that she better keep her attitude right or she would regret a lot much much later. Its not really clear whether it was due to his easy going trait which stood out the most, or his ease laugh which always sound melodic and sincere, there were just so much value from him which effected anyone around him. Include her, this very moment.

“Then I am very honored, Sunbae-nim.” Eunji rose from her seat to give a short bow, so happy to meet anyone who loved her solo song, it was few months already, yet she can still feel warmth filled up her chest. Not because she feel so proud about her hit, but more because she liked if people feel the same way as how she felt when singing the song.

He takes a long look of her before let out another brilliant smile, “It was a very good song, and I actually surprised to know now that you are part of a girl group.” He told her, there was a pause before he finally continues, “I remember asked my brother before about the singer of that song, and he told me that the singer was doing some act, and that she was such a good actor. He told me the name—must be your name, I failed to remember tho.” Finished him while flash an apologetic smile. But Eunji is not offended, she is just nod. The story was completey ordinary, and she is just enjoying his honesty.

“So, what kind of dramas you did?” asked him further.

“Well, my first drama is kinda a bit comedic—have Sunbae-nim watched Reply series perhaps?” Eunji says before take a last bite of the pancake.

He frowns first before nods, “I was into Reply 1997 and a bit of 1988, I failed to watch the second Reply tho.” Said him, “You act in those series?”

She beams a proud smile, “I was lucky enough to play the protagonist of Reply 1997, and did cameo on the 1994.” Told her. It was always bring a pure joy to herself to talk about that classic role of hers, not only because all the compliments she got for the role, but also reminds her how enjoyable bringing satoori to a TV show.

The information made his eyes widen, “Really? The ­gae-daughter is you?” he asked in disbelief. “I clearly remember that the girl is round.”

Eunji is literally laughed at his comment, “It was my first role, Sunbae-nim. I got that in the first year of debut. And I was so round, yes.” Explained her, “After that I am starting to do diet. That’s the rule of being on a girl group.” Continued her kindly. Lots of people were also like him, often told her that she was so much different than when she was being Sung Shi Won. Apink members went to huge transformations on weight matters, they were now different than rookie era.

He nods, “I remember thought that actor who played the daughter was doing a good job.”

His further compliment undoubtedly caused her heart beat wildly, it was just hard to act collected when you heard such a good words from someone who is stand at the highest spot in the same world with what you do, and to hear such undeserved nice thing unexpectedly from him was enough to make her poor heart burst into bubbles. She suddenly felt that strange urge to rushed herself to check out those piled acting offers she has been recieved yet she choosed to ignored since she was pre-occupied by solo debut and comeback plan this year. The urge is so strong, the urge unexpectedly shoot up her confidence on acting, she never ever felt that she was talented on acting before, thats why she is trying to do things she better doing first.

“Why are you alone here?” it was his next question. Eunji just can’t understand herself, why she keeps losing herself everytime he opens his mouth, how she keeps make him the only one who asked the question, she was a funny companion usually. She was never dull, really.

“Since other members were having their last schedule yesterday, they have earlier days off. While I have another recording today.” She takes another bite of her chicken which now cold already, “and why Sunbae-nim is here alone too?”

Her companion take a sip from his beer, “in a mood for solitude,” he says simply, “I really have no intention to bother you before, but the sight of a girl with full desk of food for herself was just too interesting to be ignored,” admitted him along with a soft chuckle, “and who knows that talking to a stranger on new year’s eve can be this enjoyable.”

She cringed a little to his last words, “but it was you who asked all of the question,” the girl said as she rub her eyes, “I was usually a fun person, Sunbae-nim. But I guess you were too much for me,” she confessed, and let out her signature eye smile, due to feel silly on her own.

“Too much?” his eyebrow was lifted up as he looks at her with curiousity, clearly want to make the girl seal off the details.

She nods in certain manner, “definitely.”

He brings up his hand above the table and and rest his chin on, “How?”

Eunji takes a breathe before opening , “Well, to put it simply, you are a great Sunbae-nim who have a famous reputation and somehow maybe I am nervous now.” She has a break before let on, “Anyone’s normal enough will get intimidated by having you abruptly in front of their eyes. You are a person I often saw in my laptop’s screen. So its just unreal.”

Her blunt answer made the the edge of his lip pulled up unconsciously, “But for someone who said me was too much for her own health, you talk rather freely.” He pointed out.

Eunji chuckles softly, “I hope I don’t say too many nonsenses tonight, or else I would gain a lifetime worthy of regret later.”

To this he doesn’t say much, just beam another smile before turn his head away to sight on outside of window where people get more crowded in the street. She pulled out her phone from the smallest pocket on her bag, it was just seventeen minutes away from countdown, no wonder people were already stay alerted. What a strange thing happened to her now, she can’t believe how fast the time has passed when she only talk some little things with this man. And she definitely feel grateful for him, not only because he accompany her in talk, but because he also help her finished most of her foods. So she isn’t wasting.

She glance over the man, while having a long opinions about his eating. This Ajussi, why he can’t just tell her straightly that he was too hungry over long filming he had until this afternoon. He warned her to be careful of indigestion yet he eat like someone would snatched his food, Eunji chuckled softly, duh, so maybe actually he never need to act on his eating scene on films, eh? So the eating broadcast specialist Ha Jung Woo-nim was not just an old legend? Oh~

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter