Into the Night

Runaway Daughters

Ayeong paced back and forth in her room, rubbing her red cheek. She hated her father, she hated her life, and she hated the world she was forced to live in. Ayeong plopped on her bed, wrapping her arms around her knees and gazing out her window at the distant moon. In the stillness, she heard a soft thump and the sound of muffled voices. She froze and slowly leaned forward, looking out her window at the empty courtyard. She saw a figure approaching the house in the dark. Before she could call for the guard, Kyungil’s face came into view. “Kyungil? What are you-?” Ayeong began whispering before a second figure appeared. A tall, very handsome figure. Kyungil and the strange man approached Ayeong’s window. Kyungil smiled and spoke in a hushed tone, “Ayeong, long time no see. I was just wonder-” Kyungil froze and stared at Ayeong’s face, “What happened to your cheek?” Ayeong reached up and touched the small bruise, “It’s nothing….I just tripped showing our guests around. I guess I should’ve paid more attention.” Kyungil gave her a look that showed that he didn’t quite believe her, but he knew he had no time to stay around and uncover the truth. “You’re a talented liar, but we’re on a schedule. Kyungil hyung says you can get us in and out easy. So you will.” The stranger said in a soft, deep voice.

Ayeong blinked a few times surprised by the stranger’s demands, shaking her head a bit she leaned in whispering, “I can..but why do you need in and out of here again!? If my father finds me with you guys...you..you guys can’t stay here!” The stranger nodded, “We aren’t planning to stay long, princess.” Ayeong frowned and Kyungil shook his head, “She may be rich but she’s no princess, Sihyeong, she’s not boring enough to be a princess.” Kyungil winked and grinned. Ayeong chewed her bottom lip while contemplating before unlocking her window. “Ok, you can come in, but if you get caught, don’t say I let you in. I don’t need more trouble.” The two men nodded and slipped into her room before disappearing into the house. Ayeong listened to see if she could hear anything for a few minutes, not being able to hear anything she started pacing in her room becoming a bit nervous. What seemed like an hour passed and Ayeong considered searching the house for the men, wondering if they were okay. She heard a small commotion and a few moments later Kyungil and Sihyeong ran into her room, breathing hard. “I think we lost them..”, Sihyeong panted softly. “I think so, but we should still go.” Kyungil replied before finally looking up at Ayeong. Kyungil grinned, “Ayeong, always a pleasure. But we must be going now.” He headed to the window, Sihyeong slipped out holding a small bag. Kyungil started to leave and paused halfway out the window, “Ayeong….you should come with us.” Ayeong stood there wide eyed, unsure how to respond. “I..I shouldn’t...if father found out I’d be in a lot of trouble, and my sister…” She glanced back to the doorway to see a shocked Yiseul, frozen in place with a terrified expression on her face.

 

“You can’t go with them! You don’t even know them!” Yiseul exclaimed in a half-shout, half-whisper. Ayeong narrowed her eyes, “I’m leaving, and you can either come with me or stay here with father and his rules. It’s your choice.” Yiseul looked between her sister and Kyungil in shock. Kyungil waved at Yiseul and winked, slipping away into the night. Ayeong looked back once more, “Unnie…..please come with us. I’ll miss you…” She turned and followed the two men into the night. “Ayeong wait!” Yiseul climbed out the window and ran after her sister. Ayeong, Kyungil, and Sihyeong ran through the gate and stopped a little ways away from the property to catch their breath. Yiseul caught up with them, looking around scared. “Unnie! Does this mean you’re coming with us?” Ayeong asked hopefully. Yiseul gulped before nodding slowly, “I can tell you’re not going to listen to me, and I’m not letting you run off with strange men alone, so I guess I have no choice.” Sihyeong groaned softly, “I thought we were after the money, I didn’t agree to stealing women as well.” Kyungil scoffed at him, “We’re not stealing them, they’re our friends now. Let’s go, they’ll realize the girls are missing soon.” And with that, the four of them ran off towards the mountains.