4 - Fluttering

Born to Shine

Woo finally another chapter, enjoy<3


Jonghyun almost floated back to his apartment, dizzy from the feeling of knowing he’d be going on an “almost-date” with Key. He hummed as he climbed the stairs to his apartment, remembering his deathly embarrassing scene from earlier, his limbs felt numb as he remembered Key’s sharp feline-like eyes on him. As he reached his door, he unlocked it and walked in calmly, his head tingled as he opened the door to his place. I wonder what Key would think of my place? Jonghyun thought as he slowly scanned his room, wondering how much it might differ from Key’s residence.

 

Jonghyun quickly skidded to his fridge, pulling out some leftover rice and chicken from a few nights ago. He chucked it into the microwave and pulled out his phone as he waited for his dinner to warm up. He quickly swiped through his photos to find that single selfie Key had taken of himself. His chest tightened just at the sight of the beautiful boy before him. His mouth almost watered as he took in Key’s beautiful eyes, smiling into crescent moons. I’m such a creep, Jonghyun thought as his mouth almost salivated for the boy he barely knew.

 

After starring at Key’s face for what seemed like hours, the beeping of his microwave broke him out of his love-stucken trance. He slid his phone onto the counter and pulled his food out. The plate was hot to the touch, so he grabbed a dishtowel and held the side. He took his phone and his food with him to the living room and set his plate on the table to cool down. Once the food was out of his hands he quickly looked back to his phone, this time shuffling through his contacts, anticipating Key’s name to pop up. After reading the little information Key had input, he let himself sit on the couch.

 

His mind pondered. Would it be too early to call him? What if he thinks I’m weird, I mean I am, but still. Jonghyun’s thoughts ran wild, stressing over the simplest of things, things Key probably wouldn’t even care about in the slightest. His heart raced faster with each passing minute, yes he could text him tomorrow, but something itched inside of him to do it now. His hand patted the place over his heart heart as if to calm it down. He pursed his lips and clicked the message icon next to Key’s name.

 

“Hey, it’s me, what’s up?” Jonghyun texted, hoping it was simple enough.

 

He tapped his foot, eagerly waiting for a response. He looked over to his food and noticed the steam still emanating from it. The blinking light and chirping sound that came from his phone is what almost made him yelp. Jonghyun quickly looked to his phone to see that Key had already texted him back.

 

“Hey, just got home” Key wrote.

 

Jonghyun half giggled at the speed of Key’s response. His face lit up but just as quickly turned into panic as he realised he didn’t have half a clue on what to write next; his head a mushy mess full of cheesy things that would only make Key gag. He breathed out slowly, trying to think calmly- if that was possible. He knew he had to take a different approach with this. He didn’t even know if Key was interested in him that way, for all he knew, Key just wanted to be his friend, he couldn’t let himself get carried away.

 

Jonghyun cleared his throat, trying to think of how he would casually great a new friend of his (that he “didn't like”). His palms were sweating and his chest heaved just thinking about how he could so easily screw this all up. All reason left his head and he decided to just talk to Key as if he were his mom (because that's totally not weird at all..).

 

“Me too, just waiting for dinner to cool down before I dig in” Jonghyun replied.

 

“Mmm watcha having?”

 

“Chicken and rice”

 

“Lol I wish I could have some”

 

“We'll eat better food soon” Jonghyun fretted at his words, thinking they sounded way too flirty to be considered casual. It almost sounded like he suggested they went on a date. Jonghyun thought about his words and almost vomited.

 

“I hope so” Key responds, adding a yellow smiling emoji next to it. Jonghyun almost falls off the couch. He clutches his hair, almost pulling it out of joy. Who would have thought a little yellow cartoon could drive him this crazy.  

 

The night passes in too quick of a flash. They spend their evening texting each other random things; like what they’re watching on T.V, what time they go to bed and more. It’s a while after Jonghyun has finished his dinner and he’s merrily kicking his feet in the air as he continues to talk to Key. His lips are almost sore from all they biting they’ve endured. Finally after way too many terrible jokes and irrelevant topics, they set up a date and time and meeting place; they decide to meet at Jonghyun’s shop at around 2:00pm the upcoming Friday. Just two days away.. Jonghyun’s mind reeled.

 

Later that night, Jonghyun in Key- almost in sync, left their phones somewhere while going to get ready for bed. They both brushed their teeth and changed clothes and hopped in bed. They held their phones dearly, staring at the pale white screen dimmed to a darker colour, softly grinning like teenagers, waiting for Friday. Before Jonghyun finally dozed off, he thought to himself, that ever since he started liking Key, he found himself wanting tomorrow to come, almost needing the days to refresh and come along quicker; and if there was one other thing he learned since liking Key, was that 24 hours really weren’t enough.


Hai guys, hope it was alright at least, next chapter is the "date" thingy!! wait for it ;P