Prologue

Born to Shine

     Jonghyun is an excellent shoe polisher. He's been doing it for a few years now and has developed his own tactics and techniques to achieve that perfect shine. Needless to say, he's very good with his hands.

    He's had customers of all ages and from all over the place. Each customer feels safe with Jonghyun. He makes sure they are satisfied with their polish. He makes conversation if you're talkative but stays quiet if you're shy. He has a knack for understanding people, and uses it to his advantage. Unfortunately there's one exception to his talented gift- Kim Key Bum.

    Key is Jonghyun's most regular customer and biggest weakness. A blank page to Jonghyun's perception. Key comes in at least once a week. Each time explaining that he somehow got his shoes dirty. Jonghyun, reluctant to believe his fables cleans his shoes anyways. At least he gets paid for it.

    They have certainly become close friends over the few months they've known each other. It was early winter when Key moved to this small town near Jeju, but the seasons have changed, it's been six months and the flowers of May have bloomed alongside Key's growing affection for the man who cleans people's shoes.

    At first Key thought he just had a large amount of respect for Jonghyun, and he did. His job wasn't easy. Steady, strong hands and precise focus was needed to complete his job. Key had yearned to be a more focused and analytical person, and he was sometimes, but he often let his feelings and temper get the better of him.

    It was only after one appointment a month or so ago at Jonghyun's shop that Key realized he felt more than just admiration for Jonghyun. He was at the cashier paying for his shine. As Jonghyun opened the till and pulled out the correct amount of change, Key happened to glance at Jonghyun. He noticed his sculpted cheekbones and light pink hair that shimmered in the light. Jonghyun reached over the counter to hand Key his change. As Key cupped his hand to hold the coins Jonghyun's fingertips brushed the palm of Key's hand. It was then that Key knew this was out of his control, that what he felt burned deep inside of him, and was waiting to escape.

    When Jonghyun wasn't in shop, his sister Sodam was. The shop doubled as a mini nail salon. Sodam took care of manicures and pedicures along with a few other spa-like treatments. After a few weeks of visiting the shop Key and Sodam quickly became friends, and if he was ever bored and had already cleaned his shoes he could always ask her for a mini manicure. Sodam secretly hoped Jonghyun and Key would one day end up together.