the truth

High school with my 'EX'

 

 

 

 

.

 

Daeul laughed as she walked to school with her bestfriend, Haesoo that morning.

 

It was that time of the year when schools have open houses to let students view the school. 

 

Daeul and Haesoo were given the duty to look after a stall, selling cookies. Which was just 500₩ per big cookie. 

 

The both of them put their bags on the table provided before setting up the stall. 

 

They took the blue poster that they decorated a few weeks ago and tried to paste it on the wooden board above. 

 

However, their height prevented thenm from pasting it like they wanted to. Even a chair didn't help that much. 

 

 

"Urgh! Why is my morning already crappy?!". Daeul exclaimed as she slouched on the chair. 

 

Haesoo smiled sadly and plopped on the chair beside Daeul's. "Perks of being short,". 

 

The both of them jumped slightly when a voice was heard. 

 

"need any help?". 

 

Daeul was the first to turn to the voice.

 

"Oh Chanyeol ah! Yes pleaseeee, can you paste our poster slightly to the right?". Daeul begged their tall friend. 

 

Chanyeol chuckled and nodded before doing her request.

 

"Perfecto!! Thanks Chanyeol! You're our life saviour!" Haesoo exagerated.

 

Daeul and Chanyeol laughed at the dramatic girl and continued with their works. 

 

Chanyeol and some of his friends, who were not there yet, were in charge of the game station. Chanyeol were pasting their poster, attracting people to come to his "stall". 

 

~~~

 

 

After about an hour of preparation, the school event was finally officially launched. Many middle school students were there to view the school. A lot of parents and also high schoolers were there too. Probably to meet their children and friends. 

 

"Cookies! Cookies!". Daeul and Haesoo chanted, gaining attention from people who passed by. 

 

"How much is it?". A boy asked.

 

"only 500₩ per cookie!". Haesoo answered.

 

The boy smiled widely and purchased 4 of them. He thanked the two girls before continuing his tour of the school. 

 

Daeul sighed as she counted the remaining cookies. 

 

"We've only sold 15! We have a lot more, Haesoo yah~". 

 

Haesoo chuckled before patting her bestfriend's back. "We still have a long day, Daeul ah.". 

 

~~~

 

Three hours into the event, Daeul and Haesoo had sold almost half of the cookies. 

 

Daeul was playing on her phone when she heard Chanyeol screaming. 

 

"YAH BYUN BAEKHYUN! KIM JONGDAE! STOP PLAYING AND GET TO WORK,". 

 

As if on cue, the two said boys went out from the game station, laughing and running away from Chanyeol. 

 

Chanyeol went out of the station with a long ruler ready to whack his friends. He sighed when he saw them not in sight. 

 

"Having troubles, Chanyeol ah?". Daeul asked though she definitely knew the answer.

 

Chanyeol only groaned and waved a little before going back to his station. 

 

Haesoo looked at her bestfriend and smiled slightly. "Now Chanyeol is feeling what our teachers always feel,". Haesoo said. 

 

Daeul chuckled and nodded. "Well, good that he is at least a bit more matured when assigned duties. If he acts the way he acts usually, it's road to hell , sister,". Daeul joked. 

 

 

Daeul and Haesoo quickly stood up when a lady went to their stall to buy some cookies.

 

The both of them busily explaining to the lady about their school as she asked some questions when Baekhyun and Jongdae stood behind the lady and joked around with each other, making a lot of noise. 

 

The lady seemed uncomfortable as Daeul saw her furrowed her eyebrows and give the boys a look. 

 

Daeul rolled her eyes silently and held herself from shouting at the two boys. Daeul pulled Haesoo to the middle to talk to the lady while she handle Baekhyun and Jongdae.

 

"What do you guys want?". Daeul asked coldly, making eye contact with only one of the boys. 

 

"Have annyone told you that it is kind of rude to talk to people without looking at them?". Baekhyun asked, irritated. 

 

Daeul ignored the boy and raised a brow.

Jongdae smiled at the girl, unfazed by her glaring and showed her coupons.

 

"Students on duty can get free cookies with these coupons. Give us hmmmm 6 each!". Jongdae explained before exclaiming. 

 

Daeul sighed at his loud voice and took 12 cookies before passing them to Jongdae.

 

"Here, please don't bother us anymore and help Chanyeol out,". Daeul said before going back to Haesoo. 

 

Daeul bit her lips when she saw a slightly hurt expression on his face when she glanced at him.She shook her head as she thought that she was just imagining things.

 

~~~ 

 

 

Daeul looked to her right as she saw Chanyeol pulling down the curtains that had been covering his stall.

 

"Oh Chanyeol ah! Why? Is it hot?". Daeul asked.

 

Chanyeol nodded and smiled slightly as he went back to his work which was supervising kids who were playing the games. 

 

 

Daeul and Haesoo were attending a customer when they heard yet another nagging from Chanyeol.

 

"Yah ByunBaek! What were you doing since just now? At least Jongdae is helping out!". 

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and showed Chanyeol his phone.

 

"I was texting ladies,durh,". 

 

Daeul gripped on a cookie tightly when she heard his answer. She scoffed and continued selling the cookies. But their conversation distracted her. Their loud voices made their conversation so clear that she wanted to just shout at them to shut up.

 

"And you think those ladies want you? Ladies don't like lazy boys, you idiot. Get you lazyass up here and help me clean this up!". Chanyeol roasted him real good.

 

Baekhyun clicked his tongue and glared at Chanyeol. "I was just kidding okay! I was playing games on my phone. Fine fine, I'll help,". 

 

~~~

 

 

The event was still on going. Daeul's eyes were barely opened. Haesoo was playing games on her phone, bored. 

 

Daeul's eyes shot open when she saw a familiar figure approaching her stall.

 

Daeul kicked Haesoo's leg to get her attention and pouted her lips towards the guy. Haesoo quickly stood up and put on her best smile. Daeul mirrored her bestfriend's actions as the guy came closer. 

 

Daeul's cheeks heated up a bit when their handsome senior smiled at them. 

 

"Ju--Junmyeon Oppa! How ma--may we he--help you?". Daeul stuttered. She held her head down after the question as she felt embarrass stuttering. 

 

Junmyeon chuckled and patted her head before telling her the amount of cookies he wanted. 

 

After Junmyeon left, Daeul and Haesoo collapsed on their chairs with wide smiles pasted on their face. They felt like they just saw a celebrity. 

 

"I can't believe he patted your head!!!". Haesoo fangirled.

 

Daeul laughed and nodded. "Me too! Gosh I was so embarrassed stuttering in front of him! Ahhh what do I do!". Daeul said as she cupped her own face. 

 

Daeul and Haesoo continued fangirling on how handsome and nice their senior was when a voice interrupted their spazzing.

 

"Done fangirling over your crush? I need my cookies now,". 

 

The both of them looked up only to be greeted by an irritated Baekhyun. 

 

Daeul rolled her eyes and fished out her phone from her pocket, completely ignoring the boy. 

 

Haesoo was confused at Daeul's sudden change of mood. She shrugged her shoulders before attending Baekhyun. 

 

~~~

 

The event was almost over. Chanyeol and his friends already started to pack things up. Chanyeol as their leader, instructed the boys to do this and that. He bullied Baekhyun and Jongdae the most as the both of them didn't help out that much during the event. 

 

Daeul was packing the remaining cookies up when she heard heavy footsteps coming her way. She looked up only to see a smiling Baekhyun running towards her stall, with Jongdae chasing him at the back. 

 

Daeul blinked her eyes in shock when Baekhyun suddenly stopped running right in front of her, slamming the table of her stall. 

 

Her shock face was replaced with an annoyed face as she heard him chuckled.

 

*You gave me a heartattack!* Daeul thought. 

 

*haha cute*. Baekhyun thought as he saw her shock face.

 

Haesoo who just came back from the restroom saw the scene and patted her bestfriend's back to calm her down though she was confused as to why Daeul was always annoyed with Baekhyun. 

 

~~~

 

Daeul bid Haesoo goodbye as they parted ways. Haesoo took the bus while she took the subway. Daeul walked for a good five minutes before arriving at the nearest subway station.

 

Earlier, Daeul got annoyed with her hair so she tied it up in a messy bun.

 

Literally, MESSY bun. 

 

She tried to pull her hairband off so she could tie it back into a ponytail. As it was tied in a very MESSY bun, her hair got tangled up with one another. 

 

Daeul continued walking while struggling with her hair, not noticing a figure leaning against a wall, waiting for her arrival. 

 

"Hey,". Daeul heard. She just walked away thinking that someone was just talking to their friend. 

 

Her hands were still struggling with her tangled hair when a strong hand gripped her elbow and pulled her back. 

 

Daeul let out a small yelp as she quickly turned around to see the person. 

 

"Yah Byun Bae---". before Daeul could say him name completely, Baekhyun did something that was shocking. 

 

Baekhyun hooked his index finger to the hair band and pulled it out easily. He Daeul's tangled hair to smoothen it. 

 

Daeul finally realised what he was doing and pulled her hair from his hands and took a step back. 

 

"Wha--what the hell are you doing?!". Daeul exclaimed as she felt her blood boiled. 

 

Baekhyun who was dorky earlier was replaced with a cold Baekhyun. 

 

He put his hands into his pockets before shrugging his shoulders.

 

"Helping you out?" He stated though it sounded more like a question.

 

Daeul rolled her eyes before walking away, only to stop in her tracks when he voiced out.

 

"We need to talk.".

 

Daeul chuckled sarcastically and glared at him.

 

"I have no business with you Byun Baekhyun. Leave me alone.".

 

Daeul continued walking, totally ignoring what the boy said.

 

"We can't go on living our lives like this without knowing the truth, Eul ah,". Baekhyun said.

 

Daeul closed her eyes and tried calming herself down as she heard him calling her that. 

 

*why must he bring that up*. Daeul mentally groan as she boarded the train. 

 

~~~

 

It was a Saturday and Daeul decided to hang out with her bestfriend, Haesoo. 

 

They went to a street festival which always have different themes every month. This month was all about cosplaying. 

 

The two girls walked here and there. They stopped at a shop and laughed as they cosplayed their favourite characters. 

 

Daeul took a red wig and a costume as she cosplayed the girl from 'Snow white with red hair'. Haesoo on the other hand grabbed a blue dress as she cosplayed the female character in 'Howl's moving castle'. 

 

The both of them took pictures at the booth and also selcas together. They cosplayed a few more characters before deciding to search for food. 

 

As they walked along the streets, they stopped at a shop selling cute stuffs. Daeul wanted to just buy food but Haesoo dragged her into the shop.

 

Daeul was looking at some keychains when she saw a boy paying for the things he chose. Daeul scanned him up and down and smiled. 

 

*That boy dresses damn fine* Daeul thought as she continued checking him out.

 

She furrowed her eyebrows when she thought of something.

 

"Why does his back seems so familiar?". Daeul muttered under her breath as she tried to peek at the boy's face. 

 

Her eyes widened as she quickly ducked her head down when the boy suddenly turned around and made eye contact with her. 

 

*Can't believe I just checked HIM out.*. Daeul thought as she slowly went to Haesoo. 

 

She peeked a bit and saw that he was out of sight. She sighed in relief before pulling Haesoo out to continue their search of food.

 

As they walked, Daeul can't help but think of the incident yesterday. She admitted that her heart skipped a beat when he did that but she reminded herself not to fall for him. again.

 

She shook all the thoughts away as she looked up. She saw a man pushing a trolley full of bottles. Her bestfriend who was in front of her was just walking cheerfully, not noticing her surroundings. As Daeul saw the man approaching Haesoo's way, Daeul sighed before warning her friend. 

 

"Yah Haesoo ah! Move to the left!". 

 

Haesoo was shocked but did as told. Daeul fastened her pace but slowed down a bit when she felt eyes on her. She turned her head to the right only to see a group of boys staring at her.

 

She blinked and quickly look away. She grabbed Haesoo's hand before running from that area. 

 

*. why am I always bumping into him today,* Daeul thought as she entered a cafe with Haesoo. 

 

~~~

 

It was 4pm, the two girls decided to part ways. 

 

Haesoo as usual, boarded a straight bus while Daeul had to board the subway.

 

She walked to the nearest subway station which was about 40 minutes away from her house. Daeul sighed as she plopped her self down on a seat in the train. 

 

She stretched her arms out before closing her eyes, drifting into dreamland. 

 

~~~

 

Baekhyun bid his friends goodbye as he boarded the train opposite of his friends. He scanned for seats but his eyes stopped at a certain someone. He saw her stretching her hands before closing her eyes. 

 

He chuckled before deciding to stand in front of her. Baekhyun took out his phone and scrolled him timeline. As he was still playing on his phone, he noticed some movements. 

 

Daeul was shifting in her seat, eyes still closed. Her brows were knitted together. Baekhyun chuckled at the cute girl before his eyes landed on her exposed legs. 

 

He pursed his lips into a thin line as he saw her dress making its way up, revealing more of her skin as she shifted uncomfortably.

 

Noticing the man's often stares, Baekhyun frowned as he stepped closer to Daeul, who was still sleeping. He glared at the man which made the man turned his face away with an annoyed look. Baekhyun sighed before shooking his head. He took off his hoodie before placing it carefully to cover Daeul's exposed thighs. 

 

Daeul's shifting stopped gradually as he placed the hoodie. Baekhyun smiled as he stared at her face.

 

*Silly girl. Dresses are always not for you. Must have been forced.*. Baekhyun thought as he watch the girl whose head was about to fall on the shoulder of the person beside her. The person stood up as she was uncomfortable. 

 

Baekhyun chuckled and bowed at the lady before sitting beside Daeul. He gently pulled her head towards his shoulder. Daeul snuggled closer at his warmth and let out a breath that tickled Baekhyun's neck. 

 

Baekhyun smiled and continued scrolling his phone. 

 

Two stops before their stop, Daeul shifted a bit and opened her eyes. She quickly sat up as she realised her position. She was about to apologise to the person who kindly lent her his shoulder when all she saw was the face she had been avoiding. 

 

She saw the hoodie and was about to grab it to give it back to him when Baekhyun grabbed her hand, preventing her from taking off the hoodie.

 

"Please, cover them.". Baekhyun said softly. 

 

A few seconds later. Baekhyun let her hand go before calling her.

 

"Eul ah,". 

 

Daeul took a deep breath before muttering. 

 

"What?!". She gritted her teeth, calming herself down from causing a fight in public. 

 

Baekhyun sighed and tried to grab her hands again but Daeul quickly pulled them away. 

 

Baekhyun's hands collapsed on his lap as he stared at the girl's side profile. 

 

"Let's go to the playground like old times. Please?". Baekhyun asked gently.

 

Daeul rolled her eyes.

 

"I don't want anyhting to do with you Baekhyun.". 

 

"But I do. I have a lot to say to you. Please, you need to know the truth.". 

 

 

~~~

 

Daeul knew she gave up when she found herself on a swing, right beside Baekhyun. 

 

 Baekhyun and Daeul were the best of friends since first year of middle school. As they spent more time with each other, they started to like each other and became a couple on the last year of middle school. 

 

 

 

They were doing great when suddenly one day, Baekhyun started ignoring Daeul. He would give her the cold shoulder everytime she talked to him.  Daeul thought it was just one of his moodswings seasons and decided to just be patient. She thought he would talk to her after a week of ignoring her but one week turned into months and without them realising, it was the next year. 

 

 

 

Baekhyun did not only ignore her physically but also ignored all her calls and texts. Despite the fact, Daeul sent him a text on the last day of school which was the day they graduated from middle school. 

 

 

 

'Dear Hyun ah, 

 

 

 

I don't know why you're suddenly ignoring me but I would like to congratulate you on getting first place out of 300 students! I'm so proud of you. Although you play more than you study, you still got a waaaaaaay better result than me. Congrats! I hope you'll keep it up! Hmm, I hope our friendship will keep on going even if we can't get into the same high school. I think that's all. Bye<3.

 

 

 

--Your one and only Eul :) --

 

 

 

 

 

That too, Baekhyun ignored. 

 

 

 

 

 

Daeul concluded that she just got dumped and decided to just move on. Which she found was quite difficult. I mean, after spending a lot of time and making memories with your boyfriend who was previously your bestfriend, it was tougher to move on completely. 

 

 

 

Holidays went fast and it was finally their first day year of high school. Daeul thought she didn't get into the same high school as Baekhyun till one day when she saw him at the big cafeteria. 

 

 

 

He was laughing with his new friends. Which she recognised one of them as Chanyeol who was in the same class as she was. 

 

 

 

Daeul too made new friends and bestfriend, who was Haesoo. 

 

 

 

Their first eye contact in high school was when Daeul accidentally bumped into Baekhyun and ended up spilling her tray of food on his uniform to which he just shrugged it off and walked away. 

 

 

 

Daeul was of course kind of hurt as he acted as if they didn't even know each other. But she kept her cool and lived life. 

 

 

 

Everytime she saw Baekhyun, she would roll her eyes and avoid him. When Baekhyun's friends talked to her, she would put her whole focus on his friend, not even glancing at him. 

 

 

 

*If he wants to act like a stranger to me, I could do that too*. Daeul thought. 

 

 Now, after a year of not talking to each other, Daeul was confused as to why he suddenly wanted to have a talk with her. 

 

 

"Okay what the hell do you want from me Baekhyun?". Daeul snapped when all he did was kept his mouth shut. 

 

Baekhyun cleared his throat before facing Daeul with a bright smile. 

 

"It's been a long time since I've spent time with my girlfriend,". 

 

Daeul was silent at his answer before standing up from her swing. 

 

"I'm sorry. I didn't know your girlfriend was here. I'll just go,". Daeul stated in monotone and was about to walk away when Baekhyun stood up and grab her wrist. 

 

"Eul ah, please, I'm sorry. " Baekhyun apologised with a soft voice. 

 

Daeul chuckled before facing the boy. 

 

"Excuse me, Baekhyun. Are we that close already to call each other by nicknames? What are you even sorry for?". Daeul rolled her eyes as she replied him coldly. 

 

Baekhyun rubbed his hand on his face before looking at the girl again. 

 

"Eul ah, I know you're mad at me but just listen to my explanation.". Baekhyun pleaded. 

 

"Explanation? Baekhyun, almost two years had passed, why now?". Daeul asked as she felt her blood boiled. 

 

"I didn't like the sight of you flirting with others and fangirling over your seniors.". Baekhyun stated. 

 

Daeul raised an eyebrow as she took a step forward.

 

"So? What does all that has got to do with you? You're no one to stop me from liking others.". Daeul said, her defensive self was on the loose. 

 

Baekhyun too took a step forward.

"I'm still your boyfriend, Eul ah. Which boyfriend likes to see his girlfriend mingle around with other guys?!" . He raised his voice. 

 

Daeul chuckled at his answer before staring down at their shoes. 

 

"Still my boyfriend? I'm sorry but my boyfriend dumped me a long time ago. I'm single now,". Daeul stated in a matter of factly. She smirked as she saw his hand curled into a fist. 

 

"Eul ah, ignoring you was wrong. But I didn't even once said that I want to break up.". Baekhyun managed to say. 

 

Daeul took a deep breath before hitting Baekhyun on his chest repeatedly.

 

"You, You ignored me, you acted like you didn't know me, and now you're saying that you're still my boyfriend?! What are you? A devil?". Daeul continued hitting him but weakened down when she felt tears flowing fown her cheeks. Not because she was sad, it was because she was so angry that Baekhyun could say all of that easily as if nothing happened. 

 

When Baekhyun felt her hands slowed down, he grabbed her wrists gently and pulled her into a hug. 

 

Daeul wriggled herself out of his embrace and wiped her tears. 

 

"Leave me alone Byun Baekhyun,". Daeul said before walking away quickly to not give him the chance to pull her back.

 

"But the truth!". Baekhyun exclaimed, frustrated at the stubborn girl. 

 

"I don't even care anymore. JUST GET OUT OF MY LIFE BYUN BAEKHYUN!". Daeul shouted before running away from the boy. 

 

 

~~~

 

Daeul's mood was definitely not at its best after the incident at the playground. Her parents were worried as she either skipped meals or only ate a little. They did asked her if she was fine which she answered that she was okay. They decided to just give her some time alone. 

 

At school, Haesoo tried cheering Daeul up but only got a small smile in return. Although Haesoo was Daeul's bestfriend, Daeul never mentioned her relationship or history with Baekhyun. 

 

Daeul was glad when she did not bump into Baekhyun at school after the incident. Despite that, she did not let her guard down, just in case she was walking the same way as him. 

 

Which happened a week after the incident. 

Daeul was searching for books for her project at the school library when she bumped into him. Baekhyun was about to talk to her but she quickly  shut him up by putting on her earbuds. 

 

Daeul ignored his stare and quickly took the book she needed and went back to her group of friends. 

 

*why now Baekhyun. Why now?!* she groaned mentally. 

 

~~~

 

It was 2 weeks since the incident at the playground. Daeul was back to normal. She regretted being in a bad mood because of someone who was not even worth it. Haesoo was relieved that she was finally fine. 

 

 

Daeul was lying on her stomach when her phone suddenly vibrated. 

 

'Eul ah, can you come outside for a bit? I really have to talk to you.' --Hyun-- 

 

Daeul sighed at the text and lookedout her window. It was 8pm and the weather was quite chilly outside. 

 

She planned to just ignore the text but her mind asked her to meet the poor boy.

 

Daeul sighed as she wore her jacket and brought hot packs for the both of them. 

 

"Mom! I'm going out for a bit!". Daeul shouted before shutting the front door. 

 

In front of her apartment was Baekhyun who was rubbing his hands together to gain warmth.

 

Daeul threw a hot pack towards him. The pack hit his head which made him look up.

 

He rubbed the spot as he picked up the hot pack and thanked Daeul silently. 

 

"Let's go to the playground. I don't want to cause a scene in front of my house.". Daeul said before Baekhyun could even open his mouth again. 

 

 

 

 

Daeul sat on one of the swings as she waited for Baekhyun to talk. 

 

"Eul ah?".  Baekhyun called slowly. 

 

Daeul kicked the pebbles under her feet and hummed in response. 

 

"I need you to listen to my explanation. You don't need to answer anything,". Baekhyun said.

 

Daeul nodded signalling him to continue. She just wanted to get it over already. Running away from Baekhyun will only result into him chasing her trying to tell her the truth. 

 

. "Okay so, after dating for 2 months, my dad suddenly broke the news that me and my family were actually migrating to America. I was of course upset at the thought of leaving South Korea, the place I grew up in. The thought of leaving my friends. The thought of leaving YOU. My girlfriend. I was 16 back then and being the immature boy I was, I decided to keep it a secret from you. I was afraid if I told you, you would be sad and WE won't work. But I was too stupid that I ignored you instead of spending more time with you. A few months after my dad broke the news, he suddenly said that we will still stay in Korea, cancelling his plans of migrating. I was of course happy but I was too late as it was already graduation day. After the text you sent me, my family went on a vacation and only came back a week before school starts.". Baekhyun explained. He stopped to take his breath and Daeul took the chance to ask him.

 

"Then why didn't you just explain to me last year?Why did you have to wait till our relationship turns out like this after a year?". Daeul asked, confused with everything. 

 

Baekhyun gave a small smile before squatting down in front of her swing. Baekhyun grabbed her hands and looked at her right into her eyes.

 

"I've been trying to tell you that,". He said and waited for her reaction.

 

Daeul shifted uncomfortably on her swing as she pursed her lips onto a straight line. 

Baekhyun sighed and tightened his grip on her hands. 

 

 "After ignoring you for months, I felt guilty. I wanted so bad to talk to you. To hold you. To smile at you. To explain to you about all of this. But I was too guilty to do that. I felt like a bad guy. I felt like I don't deserve to talk you. I felt that I don't deserve to be with you. To be near you. I thought that it will be alright if I just continue to ignore you but I was wrong. Watching you talking to other guys, flirting with them, fangirling over them, it hurts me. I didn't like that. So I mustered up all my courage and decided to finally talk to you again. I still like you, Lee Daeul. I am so sorry I hurted you.". Baekhyun confessed. 

 

 

Daeul blinked at all the information. She stood up from the swing and pulled her hands away. She shook her head and looked at Baekhyun.

 

"That's enough for today. I'll go home first,". 

 

 

 

 

Daeul clutched onto her chest where her heart laid on as she lied on her comfy bed. 

 

"Are the sayings true? You will face a lot of problems when you're 18?". Daeul muttered under her breath.

Daeul shook all the thoughts away and decided to sleep. 

 

~~~

 

 

'Eul ah, booked a table for two at our favourite bingsoo shoo. Hurry dress up! I'll be there in 15 minutes.' --Hyun-- 

 

Daeul read her message out loud as she ate her breakfast. 

 

It was a Saturday and she was having a good time with her mother when she got a message.

 

"Oh, you still hang out with Baekhyun?". Her mom asked.

 

Daeul only hummed and continued eating her cereal. She almost spat her food out when her mom banged the table.

 

"What are you waiting for sweetie?! Go dress up! He is asking you out!". Her mom exclaimed and pushed her out of the dining room. 

 

Daeul groaned and dragged her feet to her room. 

 

Her parents only knew Baekhyun as her middle school bestfriend. They didn't know that the two of them actually dated each other. Not knowing her daughter's sad story, she was excited when Baekhyun texted, asking her daughter out. 

 

Daeul took a simple black shirt and paired it with a pair of skinny jeans. Dresses were totally not her thing. She wore a dress that day because she wanted to match her outfit with Haesoo's. 

 

Daeul bid her mom goodbye and quickly exit her house. She scanned outside and saw a familiar figure leaning against the wall. 

 

"Yo Baekhyun, let's go.". Daeul chirped.

 

She can't help but checked him out. 

He was wearing a denim top and paired it with a pair of black shorts. His hair was combed down, his bangs covering his eyelids. 

 

Daeul let Baekhyun lead the way as she followed behind him a few distance away. Baekhyun sighed before pulling her by the wrist. 

 

"Walk nearer. I don't want you to get separated,". Baekhyun said, hand never letting go of hers. Daeul admitted that her heart thumped faster as she recalled back their dates last 2 years. She quickly pulled her hands back.

 

"Don't touch me. I'm right behind you,". Daeul said.

 

Baekhyun raised his hands up in surrender and continued walking.  

 

They finally arrived at the bingsoo shop. The both of them sat on the reserved table and read the menu. 

 

"Choose anything you want! And knowing your love for bingsoo, I don't think one is enough for you. Tell me all you want, I'll pay!". Baekhyun said in a cheery tone. 

 

Daeul gave a small smile and ordered the traditional red bean bingsoo. 

 

"Wrong. I'm a lady now Baekhyun. One is enough,". Daeul said. 

 

Baekhyun chuckled at her statement and ruffled her hair out of habit. 

 

Baekhyun quickly pulled his hand back and tapped his fingers on the table. 

 

 

 

"Baekhyun, I'm sorry."

 

Baekhyun looked up from his dessert. "Why? You can't finish yours? It's okay I'll------"

 

"I'm sorry I couldn't give back your feelings just yet.". 

 

"Wha--what do you mean just yet?". Baekhyun asked, hoping that Daeul only needed some time and that they could be together again.

 

"I'm still not sure about my feelings towards you. My heart does not beat that fast like a long time ago when I'm with you. Sorry Baekhyun.". Daeul apologised as she stood up and exit the cafe. Not forgetting to thank him before leaving. 

 

 

Baekhyun rubbed his face with his palm as he sighed. He stared at the unfinished bingsoo and stood up to pay at the counter. 

 

Baekhyun decided to walk around the streets to calm his mind. He was not lying. He still likes Daeul the same way he likes her 2 years ago. No, he likes her more. Maybe love? 

 

Baekhyun went to the nearby park and sat on one of the benches. He scanned the area and two figures attracted his attention. He stood up and went closer. 

 

 

"Daeul ah, please, I like you so much! Be my girlriend!". The boy pleaded as he gripped on Daeul's hands. 

 

"I--I'm sorry Sehun. I don't feel the same way,". Daeul apologised. 

 

Baekhyun smiled at her answer. He was eavesdropping their conversation behind a wall. But his smile turned into a frown when he saw Sehun suddenly pulled Daeul forward and landed his lips on hers. 

 

Daeul was too shocked to do anything.

 

Without thinking, Baekhyun ran towards the girl and grabbed her by the arm before pulling her back. 

 

Daeul tripped on her foot and ended up hugging Baekhyun. Baekhyun glared at Sehun who had an annoyed expression. 

 

"She does not like you. Get lost.". Baekhyun said.

 

Sehun rolled his eyes and groaned before walking away. 

 

 She was trembling under him. Baekhyun sighed and her back. He knew she still had the trauma after what happened 3 years ago.

 

 

 Daeul just finished her cleaning duty at school. She checked the time and gasped. It was almost night time and the sky was already dark. She quickly grabbed her things and ran out. 

 

Daeul was walking quickly to go back home. She let out a yelp when she tripped on something. And that something turned out to be foot. Daeul rubbed her elbow as she looked up.

 

Her eyes widened when the man who tripped her stepped closer to her. Daeul gulped and took her bag to threaten the man. The man chuckled and threw her bag away with ease. 

 

He then pushed Daeul so that she was lying on the ground and sat on her. He pinned her to the ground and leaned in closer to kiss her. 

 

Daeul wriggled under him and avoided his lips. Daeul groaned inwardly when the man caught her lips. Daeul could feel her tears flowing down her eyes. But before the man could go any further, he was punched to the side. 

 

Daeul looked up and saw her bestfriend, Baekhyun. Baekhyun quickly grabbed her wrist and ran away from the man. 

 

As they were far away from the man, Baekhyun stopped running to take his breath. He looked at his bestfriend and quickly pulled her into a hug.

 

"I'm sorry I was a little too late. It's okay now. Don't be afraid, I'm with you now.". Baekhyun shushed her as he her long black hair.

 

 

 

 

 "Shhh Eul ah, it's okay, he is gone. Don't be afraid, I'm with you now.". Baekhyun comforted her. 

 

Daeul let out a sob and clutched onto his shirt.

"Hyun ah~ I--I'm scared.". Daeul cried.

 

Baekhyun had a small smile when he heard her calling him by his nickname. He continued her back as she cried.

 

 

Daeul wiped her tears and looked up only to see Baekhyun staring at her. Daeul pulled away from Baekhyun and stared at her shoes.

 

"So--Sorry, I made your shirt wet with my tears.". Daeul apologised. 

 

Baekhyun shook his head as he stepped closer. He gently cupped her face with his palm and stared into her eyes. Daeul, as if under his spell, stared into his brown orbs. She saw his stare shifted onto her lips before going back to her eyes.

 

Daeul bit her lips, nervous at what he was going to do next.

 

"the only way to know if you still have feeling towards me is by kissing me,". Baekhyun whispered before closing the gap between them as he kissed her lips softly. 

 

Daeul's eyes fluttered close as she felt his soft lips on hers. Her lips moved together with his for a few seconds but she quickly pulled back. 

 

"No, I promised myself not to fall for you. again,". Daeul breathed out.

 

Baekhyun gave a sad smile and held the side of her arms. 

 

"You don't have to be afraid to fall for me. again. Because I'm already in love with you.". Baekhyun said softly. 

 

Daeul sighed and smiled back at him. "Hyun ah, we're still young for all this things. We're only 18. we still have a long way ahead of us. We're seniors next year. we have to focus on our studies.".

 

Baekhyun chuckled at her answer and nodded.

"I know. But Eul ah, please, be my bestfriend?". 

 

It was Daeul's turn to chuckle. 

 

"Not talking to each other for 2 years does not mean I want to break up with my bestfriend. You know, bestfriends too need some time away from each other.". Daeul joked.

 

Baekhyun smiled wider and pulled Daeul into a hug. "I'll wait for you, Eul ah." 

 

Daeul hummed as she returned the hug. 

"Thank you Hyun ah,". 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

After being bestfriends back, Daeul and Baekhyun went to school together like old times. It was still awkward to interact at school as they seldom talk to each other and when they talk, it was either important matters or words of annoyance. 

 

As if nothing had happened, Baekhyun talked to Daeul comfortably. Daeul too talked to him as usual which confused Haesoo. Because, before, Daeul would always be annoyed when Baekhyun is around.

 

Daeul felt guilty and told Haesoo that Baekhyun was actually her childhood bestfriend. She then told Haesoo not to worry because she was still her bestfriend. 

 

Baekhyun started being his dorky self around Daeul like always and wven flirted with her.

 

One time, as Daeul was exiting the school grounds, Baekhyun suddenly called out to her.

 

"Eul ah! I think you left something.".

 

Daeul looked through her bag and looked at Baekhyun with confused eyes.

 

"Yah Hyun ah! I have all my things." 

 

Baekhyun chuckled and pointed to his chest.

 

"You left your heart in mine.". 

 

Daeul rolled her eyes and kicked his shin  efore continued walking.

 

Baekhyun bursted into laughter as he watched her reaction.

 

"Gosh babe! You are so cute!". Baekhyun teased.

 

"Shut up Byun Baekhyun,". 

 

 

~~~

 

 

Almost every weekend, Baekhyun asked Daeul out. They went food hunting, watch movies, went to amusement parks, and more.

 

Today was one of the days where they only wanted to search for delicious food.

 

Daeul locked the front door as she walked to Baekhyun who was looking at his phone. Daeul scanned him up and down.

 

Though they had hung out a few time together, Daeul still can't take in the sight of him in casual clothes. His fashion sense was better than during middle school. 

 

"Checking out your bestfriend? Just be my girlfriend and you can look at me all you want,". Baekhyun teased. 

 

Daeul gave him the 'puhlease' look and slapped his arm.

 

Baekhyun chuckled and smiled when he saw the red tint on her cheeks. 

 

*Am I succeeding?* Baekhyun thought as he ruffled Daeul's hair. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Yah Hyun ah, this is so good! Buy me moreeee!". Daeul said as she ate a mochi.

 

Baekhyun clucked his tongue and shook his head.

"No no. Too much sugar is not good for you.".

 

Daeul rolled her eyes and swallowed her last bit of the mochi. 

 

"I'll buy you something else. Come on!". Baekhyun said and pulled her up from her seat. 

 

"I heard there's a really cool ddeokbeokki stall nearby.". Baekhyun said as he searched for the said stall. 

 

Daeul only dragged her feet along. She was still thinking of the mochi earlier. It was so delicious that she wanted to eat it everyday. 

 

Her thoughts were stopped when Baekhyun knocked her head softly with his knuckles.

 

"Stop thinking about the mochi. Ddeokbeokki is better!". Baekhyun said.

 

He sighed when he saw her pout. 

"Fine fine, I'll buy you more later. Now let's eat ddeokbeokki first, I'm hungry,". He comforted.

 

Daeul smiled widely and pinched his cheeks.

"Yehet! You're the best Hyun ah~~". 

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes but can't help but smile at the girl who was smiling cutely. 

 

"You know my heart wants to leap out of my ribcage when you smile like that,". He flirted. 

 

Daeul slapped his arm and ate her serving of ddeokbeokki. Baekhyun burst into fits of laughter.  

 

After a long day of eating, Baekhyun bought different flavours of mochi for Daeul, as promised, before walking her back home. 

 

They bid goodbye to each other before Daeul enter her house.

 

She was locking the front door when a voice made her jump.

 

"Why don't you just date him, sweetie?". 

 

Daeul blushed at her mom's question and quickly ran to her bedroom, too embarrassed to answer.

 

 

 

"AHHHHH! What do I do? I said my heart does not beat as fast as a long time ago when I'm with him. But I think it's beating faster than the usual fast. Ahhhhh ottokaji?". Daeul mumbled to herself as she wrapped her body with the blanket. 

 

Too tired to think further, Daeul fell asleep.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

Without much drama, Baekhyun and Daeul became closer than ever. 

 

Sometimes, Daeul would avoid Baekhyun when she was uncomfortable with her heart beating fast. She was more open to Haesoo now and even told her about their dating history on past years. And she also told her about falling for him. again. harder this time. 

 

Baekhyun was confused but after sometime, he thought that Daeul needs her alone girl time with Haesoo. When she hangs out with her girl bestfriend, Baekhyun hangs out with his dorky friends too. He on the other hand did not tell his friends about THEM yet. He thought they would annoy him if they ever were told about him liking a girl. 

 

 

Time flies faster when you are having a good time. Months past and it was finally their graduation day. After their studying hard for their finals, they were finally graduating from high school. 

 

Baekhyun and Daeul planned to celebrate together after the ceremony but both of their parents wanted to celebrate as family. So the both of them were separated right after the ceremony.

 

Daeul stared out the window in the car when an idea popped in her mind.

 

She smiled and cringed when she thought of what she was going to do.

 

 

'Dear Hyun ah,

 

I'm sorry we could not go out together as planned but I would like to congratulate you on reaching the top 10 out of 200 people! Though you play more than you study, you still got a waaay better result than me. I hope our friendship would last long even if we don't get into the same college. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

<3 I like you too <3 

 

--Your one and only, Eul :) --

 

 

 

 

Daeul squeled after she pressed the sent button. Her parents looked at her weirdly but she only gave them a smile and covered her burning face. 

 

 

~~~