Sick

Sick

It was a chilly Friday morning, and a soft pattering on the window whispered of rain. Ordinarily, you'd enjoy being home alone on a day like this. 

Today, however, you were suffering from a flu. You shivered under your quilt, which, usually so warm and comforting, now seemed chilly and inadequate. Wads of used tissues made a small mountain in your wastebasket. A book lay cast aside on the floor beside your bed; even your favorite fandoms provided little comfort now to your aching eyes, too tired to read. Your throat was painfully sore, but your body was too weak even to get up to get a drink. Instead, you stayed in bed. Tossing and turning feverishly, you attempted to find a comfortable part of your pillow so that you could at least sleep. 

You must've fallen asleep eventually, because you were jolted awake by a knocking at your door. The loud sound hurt your ears, no help to your already aching head. You groaned and shrunk deeper under your blankets.

Finally, all was quiet once more. You sighed in relief. A few moments later, you froze in panic as your door opened. Who just came into your house? A head poked into your dimly-lit room as you tried to calm yourself and inched your hand toward the nearest weapon you could find. It closed around your book and you had just thrown it when you recognized the face. It was your neighbor, Park Chanyeol.

Fortunately for him, in your weakened state your projectile abilities were far from adequate. The book landed with a light "thud", about three feet away from the unimpressed target. 

The intruder looked mildly offended. "That's not very nice," he chided.

"Sorry," you mumbled sheepishly. "I thought you were a murderer or something."

"I didn't say I wasn't," Chanyeol replied, his eyes now sparkling with mischief.

You didn't have the energy to come up with a sarcastic response, so you settled for pulling your blanket dramatically over your head.

"If I plan to kill you, a blanket is hardly an obstacle," Chanyeol observed dryly. 

You didn't relent. It was nice, actually, under the soft darkness of your blanket.

"Come on," he wheedled. "Murder is the sincerest form of flattery."

Still silence. 

"Yah, are you all right? Where's the biting sarcasm I've come to know and love? Er-not that I mean-never mind." 

"I'm sick," you finally replied, a pitiful waver in your voice.

"Aish, poor you!" Chanyeol's voice had taken on a more sympathetic tone. You felt your bed move as he carefully sat down on the edge of it and awkwardly patted your huddled form. 

You peeped out from beneath your quilt. "You can murder me if you heat me up some soup first," you mumbled.

Chanyeol's face softened. "Okay." He left the room, and you closed your eyes. This was probably another delirious dream, but it was a nice one. 

***************


A few minutes later, Chanyeol returned with a steaming bowl. He set it down gingerly on your bedside table. "Here you go. Fair warning, though; music is more my area of expertise. I can't make any promises for the quality of my cooking."

You bit your lip, trying not to laugh at him.

"What?" he put up his hands defensively. "Not everyone is a master chef like you."

"It's just dumping a can into a saucepan and stirring. It's not rocket science," you pointed out.

Chanyeol pouted, lower lip poking out for dramatic effect.

You smiled slightly at this. "Kyopda," you murmured, then clamped your lips shut. Oops, that last part was out loud. "Erm, sorry, I-I must have a fever or something," you stammered hastily.

"I'll see," Chanyeol answered, and rested his hand gently on your forehead. You blushed at his touch. "Wow, your face is pretty warm."

You cleared your throat awkwardly. "Er, yeah, that's probably just a fever. I have pillowcases in the freezer."

Chanyeol looked at you, perplexed. "You have... what?"

"Pillowcases in the freezer. You know, when you're sick you put pillowcases in the freezer so you can switch them out? That way you have something cool on which to rest your head. You can't tell me you're never done that before."

"I've never done that, nor ever heard of doing that, in my life. But that weirdly makes sense." Chanyeol retreated to the kitchen to get you another pillowcase.

You sighed and rested your tired eyes, sniffling. 

A few minutes later, Chanyeol returned with a chilled pillow case in hand. "You're not eating your soup," he pointed out. 

"Oh, right." You eyed your soup. It smelled so inviting, but... you just didn't have the energy to lift that heavy bowl.Well, it's heavy to me, anyway! Give me a break, I have a flu.

Chanyeol gently helped you sit up. You shivered as his warm hand grazed your hypersensitive skin. "Are you cold?" he asked sympathetically as he fluffed the pillows and smoothed them out. 

You leaned back on them with a sigh. "Just a little."

"Well, the soup is nice and hot. That'll warm you right back up."

"Uh huh. Thanks, by the way... It's really sweet of you to go to all this trouble."

His cheeks were tinged with pink, but he seemed to shake it off. "Why aren't you eating? Do you need help?"

"What? N-no, I'm just, uh, not hungry anymore," you stammered. Your stomach growled in disagreement.

"Jinjja," said Chanyeol in a deadpan voice.

"Uh... Yes." you lied blatantly.

Chanyeol looked at you closely. "So, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you're too weak to lift the bowl, but you're too shy to admit it and run the risk of making me feed you."

"Um, no. It's, uh, that other thing." You ducked your head to avoid his gaze.
 
 He laughed. "That's adorable. I'm not going to let you die of starvation just because you're bashful, though, so you're going to have to deal with it." Grabbing the bowl, Chanyeol scooped a small spoonful of soup. Amid your stuttering protests, he blew on it softly to cool it down and carefully brought it to your lips.

Cheeks flushed, you swallowed the soup gratefully. "Thank you," you mumbled, almost inaudibly. Suddenly very aware of how close he was, you looked away. 

"Hey, don't look away. I like seeing your eyes." Chanyeol gently brought his hand to your cheek and guided it so that you were facing him again. Your skin tingled where he touched it, sending electric shocks up your spine. Your eyes met his, and for a split second the rest of the world seemed to fall out of existence. Your heart was pounding. "I-I just remembered, uh, I have an-an- appointment, that I need to attend. I must be going now. Goodbye, Rabbit!" Unsteadily, you rose from your bed and jammed your feet into a pair of shoes. Grabbing a scarf and wrapping it haphazardly around your neck, you stumbled to the door.

"Wait, what?" Chanyeol's bewildered voice followed you as you left. "Did you just call me 'Rabbit'?"

You shut the door the door behind you quickly, your heart still racing. The rain was pouring down harder than ever, cooling your hot face. Tightening your scarf, you walked quickly down the street. In your delirium, everything seemed to move by in a blur. You weren't sure where you were even going. It felt almost like a hazy dream. Finally, you stopped under a large tree. Sinking slowly to the ground, eyelids heavy, you let yourself drift out of consciousness.

***************


When you slowly came to, you were frigid and soaking wet from the rain. You had no idea where you were, seeing only the tree trunk, sodden grass, muddy shoes, and slick pavement. 

Wait a minute. Shoes? 
      
You slowly tilted your head up to see a tall figure before you. Well, okay, tall for my frame of reference, i.e. The Ground.

"Look at you, pabo. What were you thinking, running out into the rain like that when you're sick? Do you have any idea how much you made me worry?" Chanyeol scolded, but his deep voice was laced with concern.

You only peered up at him, trying to process what you both were doing out here in the rain. You shook your head to try and clear the fog, but that only made it worse. Everything was fuzzing at the edges, until all you could see was Chanyeol, leaning closer as he waited for you to respond. You slumped against him, weakened by cold and exhaustion. 

"Aigo," Chanyeol mumbled, gazing down at you. "What am I going to do with you?" He fought back a smile at how close you were to him today; usually you were shy about skinship and kept your distance. After wrapping you in his own warm jacket, he scooped you into his arms. Fortunately for him, you were mostly asleep as he carried you home and didn't hear how fast his heart beat as your head rested against his chest.

 

As he laid you back down on your bed and tucked the covers in snugly, he heard you murmur, "Are you.. an angel?"

He chuckled quietly. "Yeah."

***************


What a strange dream. But.. I don't want to wake up now. You groaned as you half-opened your eyes. Your head felt like it was full of warm dishwater, your brain hurt, and you felt like a bunch of rabbits were sitting on you. That was a weird comparison, but I'll forgive myself since I probably still have a fever. Wait, but why do I feel so weighted down? You tried to sit up, but suddenly felt terribly lightheaded. 

"Whoa, take it easy." A hand was on your shoulder, pushing you back down onto your pillow. 

Your eyes shot wide open, and you slowly turned your head to see Chanyeol grinning at you. 

"Good morning, Sleeping Beauty."

 You gaped at him, and then, suddenly shivering, you pulled the heavy blankets closer around you. Wait a minute... Since when do I have this many blankets on my bed? "Where did all these blankets come from?" you asked, gesturing at the veritable mountain of blankets under which you were currently burrowed.

"I brought you all the blankets I could find in this house. You were so cold, I didn't want you to catch pneumonia."

You pointed at a blue quilt. "This isn't mine." 

Chanyeol scratched the back of his head. "I brought a few from my house, too."

You looked at him, and then back at the monstrous pile of blankets.

He cleared his throat. "I may have gotten carried away."

So... Was that dream real? You racked your brain, trying to remember exactly what had happened. There was Chanyeol, and a tree, and... your hair was wet. "Did we... go outside for some reason?"

Chanyeol gave you a sidelong glance, smirking. "Yeah. We went to pick apples."

You squinted in bewilderment. "We picked apples? Why?"

"Uh, you wanted to make a pie with me."

"Oh. What kind of pie?"

"... Peach," Chanyeol deadpanned.

You gasped. "I love peach pie!"

"That's not what you said earlier," said Chanyeol, frowning thoughtfully. "You said that peach pie was second-rate, but you wanted to make one for Kai because he is the most handsome boy in EXO."

Your face clouded over. "Ah, no pie. Why am I like this?" 

Chanyeol clamped a hand over his mouth to hold back a snicker.

You looked at him, and then thought about what you were talking about. "Wait.. What?"

At this, Chanyeol fell on the floor laughing.

You covered your face with your hands. "Ah, you are really..." 
 

***************

"I don't want to eat medicine!"

"You have to! You want to get better, don't you?"

"No! It's not worth the awful taste. I will stay sick and die first."

"Just take your medicine. Otherwise it's a waste of money to have bought it."

"I didn't make you buy it!"

"I bought it because I want you to get better! Now just take your medicine and then you can have some ice cream, okay?"

"It's not fair." You folded your arms, pouting and peeking up at Chanyeol.

"Are you using aegyo? I've never seen you use aegyo before." Chanyeol looked genuinely entertained, and not the slightest bit fooled. 

Ah, this is embarrassing, but I must make sacrifices for the ultimate cause of not having to take medicine. You mustered up your courage and all the charm you could summon, and touched his arm. Widening your eyes, you smiled sweetly at Chanyeol. "I don't need medicine, because oppa being here is making me feel better already."

Chanyeol stared at you, and you could swear his cheeks turned slightly pink before he quickly turned away. "Ah, you are fighting dirty. I see how it is." 

You were sure you had won, but then Chanyeol turned back to face you. "Two can play at that game." He leaned in closer and crinkled his face into a bright smile. "Please, take some medicine for me?" he chirped in a cute voice, making little begging paws with his hands and poking you in the cheek. "Bbuing bbuing! Bbuing bbuing!" He made Vs with his fingers and wiggled them beneath his eyes. Then he scooted even closer and cupped your face in his hands, making wide, beseeching eyes. "Pretty pleeease?" 

​​​​​"Ah, I can't take it! I'm being overloaded by cuteness! You win." You tried to hide your face, flustered by Chanyeol's little display. "So.. Can I still have ice cream, though?"

Chanyeol laughed and patted you on the head. "Yeah, you can have ice cream. Just, please don't tell Suho."

"Ne," you agreed. Suho was one of Chanyeol's roommates, but sometimes he seemed more like a mother.

Chanyeol retreated downstairs, soon returning with two pills and a glass of water. 

"Those are the pills? They're enormous!" you complained, staring balefully at the offending tablets. 

Chanyeol handed you the pills and the water, not relenting.

Begrudgingly, you accepted the medicine and swallowed it, wrinkling your nose in disgust. "Poison," you grumbled sulkily.

"And now you can have ice cream!" Chanyeol cheered. "And let's watch a movie!" He hopped up and scampered to the kitchen, reminding you of a puppy.

You couldn't help but smile, infected by the Happy Virus. 

Chanyeol soon returned with two giant bowls of ice cream ("Suho must never know.") and a DVD which he wouldn't let you get a good look at. 

"What movie is it?" you asked, a little suspicious since the time he tricked you and Tao into watching a horror movie.

"Just wait and see," Chanyeol teased. "Now scoot over. I don't want to sit on the floor for an hour and a half." He waited until you made room for him on your bed, and then he handed you your ice cream and climbed into bed with you. 

​​​​​​You both munched ice cream happily as the ads rolled through, and finally, the movie began. You gasped. "Finding Nemo? I love this movie!"

Chanyeol only grinned, triumphant with his successful selection.

In the beginning of the movie, the two of you were careful to keep a slight distance between you. However, this wasn't overly practical considering the fact that you were trying to share a twin-sized bed. So, eventually, the two of you gave up and relaxed against each other. You tried not to show how much this affected you, but Chanyeol couldn't hide his smile.

When a shark appeared, you tensed up, and Chanyeol put his arm around you, pulling you even closer. "I'll protect you from the sharks," he whispered teasingly, and you tried not to think about the way his warm breath tickled your skin. Or the way his thumb was lightly your arm, making it sort of hard to concentrate on the movie. Or the way his gaze seemed to be fixed on you, ignoring the movie altogether.

Toward the end of the movie, your eyelids drooped and your head began to nod. Chanyeol noticed and, before you could even pretend to protest, he rested your head on his shoulder. "Don't try to stay awake," he murmured into your hair. "Sleep is good for you." 

"Mmkay," you mumbled sleepily, slightly intoxicated by Chanyeol's cologne. 

Chanyeol your hair, slowly lulling you to sleep. As your eyes finally closed, he gently kissed your forehead. Okay, now I really think this is a dream,  was your last thought before you fell asleep.
 
************

You woke to sunlight streaming cheerfully through your curtains. Yawning, you sat up, and then tentatively felt your face and throat. Am I already all better? Is it possible to give your immune system a high five? You grinned, and then turned your head and nearly jumped a mile. Chanyeol was still next to you, half asleep, staring at you with a dreamy expression on his face. Your face felt hot as you realized how close the two of you were. "Uh," you began, not entirely sure how to continue.

Chanyeol yawned, and didn't seem in any hurry to wake all the way up. "Shhh." He pulled you gently back under the covers, as you stifled a giggle at his cuteness. "It's still sleepytimes." He pulled the blanket up to your chin and then wrapped you in a tight hug, using the blankets and his arms to trap you in a sleepy burrito. 

"Chanyeol.." You tried to wriggle free of your sleep burrito, but to no avail. "I have to get up and at least fix my hair. I don't want you seeing me when I look like I live in a garbage can."

"Shh. Go back to sleep. You have no idea how pretty you are."

"Ha-ha. I know I look awful. It isn't an insecurity thing, it's just a fact of life that most people look like crap in the morning."

"Well, you're not most people. You're, like, the most perfect person I've ever met."

You were so flustered, you didn't even know how to respond to this, so you didn't. "If you let me get up, I'll make us pancakes," you offered.

"Really?" Chanyeol's face lit up. "Ah, saranghae!"

You froze. 

Chanyeol seemed to realize what he had said, because suddenly he was wide awake. "Uh.. Well.. I actually kinda do, though. I'm sort of... in love with you. Sorry." He grinned sheepishly. 

Your face was beet red, and you stared down at the blankets as you finally spoke. "Yeah, that's okay.. I'm sort of in love with you, too."

​​​​​​Chanyeol beamed so brightly that the sun awkwardly shuffled its feet and wouldn't make eye contact with the other stars. He leaned in to kiss you, but you hastily covered  your mouth with your hands. "No! We both have morning breath. Let's go make pancakes."

Chanyeol sat bolt upright. "Oh, yeah! Let's have pancakes. Can I be the official pancake flipper?"

"Ne." 

Chanyeol hopped out of bed and, grabbing your hand, dragged you into the kitchen.

Today is going to be a good day, no doubt about it.